Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭dobman88

What are peoples thoughts on this "killarney memory tree"?
    Personally i think its in very bad taste

Where/what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

dobman88 wrote: »
    Where/what is it?

check it out on facebook....
    I think its nearly like making people feel like "you've lost a loved one,you should buy a light"...
    if it were a case of when you buy a light you decide which charity the money went to i'd be all for it...for instance,your father died from cancer,you want your donation to go to cancer research etc,
    also they stress that lights cannot be bought for less than €5,
    i notice their fb page has been heavily filtered aswell,all negative comments taken out,i'd imagine there have been other people not too impressed with the idea aswell.
    i'm all for giving to good causes,but i feel this is playing on peoples consciences.

https://m.facebook.com/killarneymemorytree/about

Meh, up to people if they want to go with it or not. Personally, not for me but some people might be in to it. It also says it's in aid of a local national school which is fine. At least the money is doing good and not just lining peoples pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

New pub opening in town today, Lord of the Rings theme. Called 'The Shire', used to be Kelly's Korner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

madcabbage wrote: »
    New pub opening in town today, Lord of the Rings theme. Called 'The Shire', used to be Kelly's Korner.

Really wouldn't be surprised to hear of them getting a call from some high-powered US lawyers fairly soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Was in The Shire last night, was jammed but is pretty cool. The lighting in there is really cool and it's nicely designed but If you were to travel down the country just to see a LOTR themed pub you might be a bit disapointed. Apart from posters on the wall, LOTR themed beer taps and a few other bits there's not an awful lot to the whole LOTR based theme. Although I'll have to go back when it's a bit quieter to get a proper feel for the place, It's still a really nice pub though, it's a decent alternative from the other places in town.
    Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Really wouldn't be surprised to hear of them getting a call from some high-powered US lawyers fairly soon.

Why?

siblers wrote: »
    Was in The Shire last night, was jammed but is pretty cool. The lighting in there is really cool and it's nicely designed but If you were to travel down the country just to see a LOTR themed pub you might be a bit disapointed. Apart from posters on the wall, LOTR themed beer taps and a few other bits there's not an awful lot to the whole LOTR based theme. Although I'll have to go back when it's a bit quieter to get a proper feel for the place, It's still a really nice pub though, it's a decent alternative from the other places in town.

Why?

Trademark/copywright lawyers tend to be very aggressive in going after any businesses they think are making money out of "their" property.

Did a quick search and found this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolkien_Estate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saul_Zaentz
    In 2011, Zaentz's company began several legal actions against small businesses in the UK to enforce their "Hobbit" trade mark, including the Hungry Hobbit cafe in Sarehole, near Birmingham and a pub in Southampton, England, which had traded as The Hobbit for twenty years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I would be very very surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Trademark/copywright lawyers tend to be very aggressive in going after any businesses they think are making money out of "their" property.

Did a quick search and found this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolkien_Estate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saul_Zaentz

Yeah but there's a difference between calling your pub The Shire and The Hobbit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

There's been an awful lot of legal wrangling between Tolkiens estate, publishers and merchandisers, especially in the last decade about rights issues regarding the Tolkien books and their content, it basically all boils down to money, somebody somewhere will be looking for "their cut". I would be amazed if some form of legal contact wasn't made in the very near future.

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    Yeah but there's a difference between calling your pub The Shire and The Hobbit

There is but the problem is that the bar itself is advertising itself as a LOTR themed bar.

People might ask why would whoever owns the rights bother to care that a pub in Killarney is LOTR-themed when they are earning millions anyway?

Because the owners of these rights are probably making millions out of licencing these rights to toy-makers, computer games companies, T-shirt makers etc.

It would be standard practice in all of these licensing agreements that there would be a clause stating that the person getting paid would have to take all available steps to protect the integrity of the intellectual property. Not chasing up every infringement could end up costing the rights owner millions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Not sure if lm allowed post this, maybe someone can pm me, but can anyone recommend a doctor thats good with dealing with depression and anxiety? Bascially a dr that gives a **** and knows what their doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Molzer2

Can't recommend a doctor I'm afraid but really hope you get some help. Hang on in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Support group for depression./ anxiety. Aware.. Meetings are held in the KDYS centre in Killarney on Mondays at 8pm.. If you ring the KDYS they may have a contact number of a member if permitted, that you might be able to talk to..

Best pub to watch Dundalk v Cork City this Friday evening?

Best pub to watch Dundalk v Cork City this Friday evening?

The Laune. The bar man there, Paudie, is from Dundalk and will have the scarf up over the fire and all. Last time they played on telly he brought a few friends in and made a bit of atmosphere. With a game this important there should be a few in. I hope to make it myself and cheer on the town cos I'm friends with him.

Sorry if you're a Cork fan but should be good craic.

The Laune. The bar man there, Paudie, is from Dundalk and will have the scarf up over the fire and all. Last time they played on telly he brought a few friends in and made a bit of atmosphere. With a game this important there should be a few in. I hope to make it myself and cheer on the town cos I'm friends with him.

Sorry if you're a Cork fan but should be good craic.

Thanks.

Might be there. Wife and friends want to go to the cinema, but don't want to miss it...though wherever I end up, I'll be rooting for the away team!

Thanks.

Might be there. Wife and friends want to go to the cinema, but don't want to miss it...though wherever I end up, I'll be rooting for the away team!

Come to the Laune so, would be good craic with two teams getting cheered on.

Come to the Laune so, would be good craic with two teams getting cheered on.

Sadly, looks like I won't make it as wife and friends have decided that they'll do the cinema thing another night. But thanks for the help and enjoy...apart from the result!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Radio5 wrote: »
    Anyone know why the public lighting from Lissivigeen Roundabout to the Torc Hotel (formerly Darby O'Gills) isn't on anymore?

Nobody could shed any light on this then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

cheap gyms in killarney??

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

cheap gyms in killarney??

If you're willing to travel roughly about 15 km outside of Killarney, there's a lovely little gym out in Rathmore (next to the church in a building called Teach Ìosagáin). Prices are pretty good too, €30 per month, €100 for 6 months and €200 for a year. Very quiet place but extremely well equipped and spacious.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Does anyone know what the Killarney Outlet Centre 'Privilege Card' entitles you to when shopping in the Centre???

Is it a discount card... or a points type card???

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

Sikpupi wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the Killarney Outlet Centre 'Privilege Card' entitles you to when shopping in the Centre???

Is it a discount card... or a points type card???
    As far as I know it entitles you to discounts when you shop in store with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭wgk

Hi -

Does anyone have a recommendation for a surveyor in the Killarney area? Just gone sale agreed and need a survey carried out. Would prefer to see an example of the guy's work, i.e. example report, list of items covered in report etc.

Much obliged

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As far as I know it entitles you to discounts when you shop in store with them.

Great place the Outlet Centre.. free wifi..and out of the weather ...I will be trading at the Christmas Fair there on Dec 30th

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Was I seeing things passing Molly Darcys near Muckross today? When do that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jpos

Graces7 wrote: »
    Was I seeing things passing Molly Darcys near Muckross today? When do that happen?

What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

2/3 months ago. As far as I'm aware, Bill Cullen wanted to take the brand name hence the change in name to Jarveys Rest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mid September. It was in the national and local newpapers at the time.

Advertisement