Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

keane2097 wrote: »
    Obviously they should, but I think most people would be long since past being surprised that they don't.

It would be nice to think someone in Killarney might take inspiration from the soup kitchen being run by Joe Soaps in Tralee and do something similar, it all helps.

Been thinking about this a bit. Not setting up a soup kitchen cos I'd have no idea where to begin but just the general situation.

Isn't there a place in Killarney across from Scotts lane, next to the cinema like a resource centre or something. Nothing to stop the council opening that up as a soup kitchen for a few hours each evening. Or if something more long term was being lookes at, there's a vacant area in Tesco car park in town next to SVdP, where the playground used to be. Stick a shelter in there. Lots of them already hang around that area anyway.

I could see the reluctance of hotels and businesses having a soup kitchen type thing in that resource centre but something definitely needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

dobman88 wrote: »
    Been thinking about this a bit. Not setting up a soup kitchen cos I'd have no idea where to begin but just the general situation.

Isn't there a place in Killarney across from Scotts lane, next to the cinema like a resource centre or something. Nothing to stop the council opening that up as a soup kitchen for a few hours each evening. Or if something more long term was being lookes at, there's a vacant area in Tesco car park in town next to SVdP, where the playground used to be. Stick a shelter in there. Lots of them already hang around that area anyway.

I could see the reluctance of hotels and businesses having a soup kitchen type thing in that resource centre but something definitely needs to be done.

You think they could organise something. If they could give homes to the asylum seekers in Park road, you'd think they could help those in need of a home locally. I'm surprised SVdP don't have some sort of a shelter set up considering what they do for people in need.

madcabbage wrote: »
    You think they could organise something. If they could give homes to the asylum seekers in Park road, you'd think they could help those in need of a home locally. I'm surprised SVdP don't have some sort of a shelter set up considering what they do for people in need.

Yeah I did think about those asylum seekers. It kind of annoys me how some people of a minority group from a European country are all on benefits, get a nice house, car, medical card, dole and god knows what else and they spend all day in the bookies.

I was in there a few weeks ago and there was two lads speaking in broken English about how it was such a joke that his benefits had been reduced! One of them then pulled out a wad of 50's to put a bet on and left to drive his BMW parked out the front. I work full time and struggle to live comfortably and maintain my little Nissan Micra!

Yet our own in need go without. I know this post turned into a bit of a rant but it annoys me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Kerrybai

Lads can you recommend a place to get a phone repaired? A need a new screen on a galaxy s4.

Kerrybai wrote: »
    Lads can you recommend a place to get a phone repaired? A need a new screen on a galaxy s4.

Guy across the way from the Vodafone shop, next to McSorleys.

• Advertisement

Kerrybai wrote: »

There's also a polish lad there at the front of the Innisfallen Mall. He'll have the job done in an hour or so. Had a screen done with him for my iPhone, couldn't fault it.

Another fecking parade this week!! And one next Saturday and the Saturday after! WTF. I can understand turning on the lights but I've just walked through town and there's about 50 people on Main Street, that's it! Pointless sh!te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Another fecking parade this week!! And one next Saturday and the Saturday after! WTF. I can understand turning on the lights but I've just walked through town and there's about 50 people on Main Street, that's it! Pointless sh!te

Parade for christmas is it?

Parade for christmas is it?

Yeah, the exact same one they had last week and the same for next two weeks. Saw an ad in the advertiser for it today but forgot about it on my way home. Sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I agree with Keane. Why would a church help? What good has religion ever done? I walk my dog down the park every evening and you can see the lads heading down with their tents in by the trees near the lake. They put on a fire and have their few cans. If a shelter was set up, where would it go? Some of these lads would be too proud to go to a shelter and would rather a tent in the park!

That group was offered accommodation and refused it and not politely. Many prefer living rough. Their choice entirely.

Faith works miracles young man. Has done in many lives.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    That group was offered accommodation and refused it and not politely. Many prefer living rough. Their choice entirely.

Faith works miracles young man. Has done in many lives.

Source for being offered and refusing accommodation in an unpleasant way??

They must have been working all these miracles in between the kiddy fiddling and beatings!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Has anyone seen anywhere hiring for Christmas work?

xLisaBx wrote: »

Almost every hotel and bar in town. Penneys, Dealz, Argos, Tesco, Dunnes usually hire some xmas staff but I haven't seen it advertised this year. Could be worth throwing out a few cv's anyway. Also try Mcsorlleys, Mustangs and the Grand cos they'd nearly be the busiest

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Almost every hotel and bar in town. Penneys, Dealz, Argos, Tesco, Dunnes usually hire some xmas staff but I haven't seen it advertised this year. Could be worth throwing out a few cv's anyway. Also try Mcsorlleys, Mustangs and the Grand cos they'd nearly be the busiest

Thank you :)

xLisaBx wrote: »

They were looking for staff for Argos a month or two back, stupidly earlier than usual! I'd imagine you'd have to have been watching up to a month ago for jobs coming up to Xmas, as the shops would need the staff from now on.
    Like Dob suggested, throw in CV into the bars and shops around town, no harm trying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Okay, so who would be responsible for the image below and it's out of date information posted as if it's current info in terms of out-of-date listing of businesses inside and incomplete contact number for another that is there. This sign is en route into the Shopping Area :confused:
    Image taken only today by me.

4zulerY.jpg

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Roxy Records. God be with the days

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Roxy Records. God be with the days

God that's a blast from the past. That and Lee Records, till that burned down! :(

That's some nostalgia there lads! I think I bought my first CD in Lee. Well I picked it out, my Mam bought it lol. Was Lee where Julies Barbers is now? Across from Penneys?

@Kerry4Sam. I presume the Town Council would have been responsible for that sign. Not sure who is now.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Okay, so who would be responsible for the image below and it's out of date information posted as if it's current info in terms of out-of-date listing of businesses inside and incomplete contact number for another that is there. This sign is en route into the Shopping Area :confused:
    Image taken only today by me.

4zulerY.jpg

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Poor aul Meteor store misses out :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

any of you know John Truba? He's a local man who fixes hifi stuff,amps, i've been led to believe, looking for a email etc if he's still working.

Thanks

That's some nostalgia there lads! I think I bought my first CD in Lee. Well I picked it out, my Mam bought it lol. Was Lee where Julies Barbers is now? Across from Penneys?

@Kerry4Sam. I presume the Town Council would have been responsible for that sign. Not sure who is now.

Ya, t'was up High Street, closer to the Market Cross. Think it was either a doors up/down from The 98 Bar.
    Now that we're on the topic of nostalgia, who remembers the sweet shop up high street donkeys years back? Sheehans I think. What a £1 could get ya was some joke. :o

Ya, t'was up High Street, closer to the Market Cross. Think it was either a doors up/down from The 98 Bar.
    Now that we're on the topic of nostalgia, who remembers the sweet shop up high street donkeys years back? Sheehans I think. What a £1 could get ya was some joke. :o

Showing your age there cabbage. Gone back too far for me I'm glad to say :D

Showing your age there cabbage. Gone back too far for me I'm glad to say :D

Careful now, I'm 26, not an old timer!!

Careful now, I'm 26, not an old timer!!

I must be thinking of a completely different ship then. Also 26. Don't remember the one you're on about though. What's there now? Near Eagers?

I must be thinking of a completely different ship then. Also 26. Don't remember the one you're on about though. What's there now? Near Eagers?

Across the road, up near where Husseys bar is. Can't imagine the actual building is still there though.

Across the road, up near where Husseys bar is. Can't imagine the actual building is still there though.

Ah right. We never usually ventured up that far so that's why I don't remember it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Tsk Tsk TSk.

Sheahans was an institution Lads, ye should give yourselves temporary bans from this thread for such blasphemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The Killarney shopping arcade is a disaster, it's a pity there was never an attempt made to redevelop it. I used to actually work in Roxys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

It's private property so the sign is the responsibility of the owners of the arcade not the former town or county council.

Advertisement