Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

you mean argos??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Sikpupi wrote: »
    Is there a Council recycling point for Xmas Trees this year.

Been to Aras Padraig Car Park ... and it doesn't look like this is the centre this year
    kaji wrote: »
    Yeah I'm wondering too about a Christmas tree recycling point.

Yes there is! I found the Christmas Tree Recycling Area at the very end of the car-park alongside our Tourist Office, just off Mission Road; down by the bottle-banks :)

Hope that helps,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭callee

Hi
    You could try a craft activity for the saturday morning/afternoon. Theres candlemaking available in Killarney, and pottery painting and soap making in Kenmare, about 45mins from Killarney though the National Park (a spectacular drive)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

HayMac Fitness are in the quality hotel every Monday and Friday for circuit classes. They started back after their Christmas break last week. You only pay per class when you can make it. €7 a class, 7.30-8.30.

A great workout for the whole body and for any fitness level, male or female. Tonight was 2 males and 6 females. I started going in November and am definitely noticing a difference.

You can find them on Facebook. HayMac Fitness.

Note: It is not my class or company. I am just friends with the lads and go to the classes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Gill_Murph

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a good driving instructor in or around the Killarney area? I'm from Milltown so Im guessing Killarney or Killorglin would be my nearest bets. But there are so many driving instructors out there, just wondering who would you reccommend?

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Gill_Murph wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone suggest a good driving instructor in or around the Killarney area? I'm from Milltown so Im guessing Killarney or Killorglin would be my nearest bets. But there are so many driving instructors out there, just wondering who would you reccommend?

Thanks in advance.

Moved into the Killarney thread, hopefully you'll have more luck there!
    MOD

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

This is Andy. He's based in Gneeveguilla but works in Killarney. I found him fantastic when I was learning and I tried 3 different instructors. He also gave me a discount for booking 2 hours at a time. And 3 days before my test we did 2 hours each day and I passed without a bad mark against me.

Highly recommended http://m.ism.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

What's the storey with the No Right Turn as your are driving from the Rock Road towards High Street and you want to turn right onto the road where the Garda Station, new Govt. buildings and entrance to the Sem is?

I saw the no right turn sign and then another sign with about 10 lines of details on it (mentions school terms and a load of times on it). As I couldn't stop the car and take the 5 minutes required to read the sign I chanced turning right anyway. Just want to make sure next time I'm not caught by the traffic corps for it, especially given the location!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

BPKS wrote: »
    What's the storey with the No Right Turn as your are driving from the Rock Road towards High Street and you want to turn right onto the road where the Garda Station, new Govt. buildings and entrance to the Sem is?

I saw the no right turn sign and then another sign with about 10 lines of details on it (mentions school terms and a load of times on it). As I couldn't stop the car and take the 5 minutes required to read the sign I chanced turning right anyway. Just want to make sure next time I'm not caught by the traffic corps for it, especially given the location!

I know before they had the new lights and stuff set up, they used to, during the school year, make that road one way (With traffic coming in at the tech side and coming out at the garda station side).

This would only be in effect while the kids were going to, or coming from school.

I suspect that it was in an effort to alleviating the chaos moving on that road due to the double and triple parked parents dropping their kids off at school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

BPKS wrote: »

There is no right turn on to New Road during the School opening and closing hours. You have to come in and turn at the Community College.

Outside of these time it is a 2way system

CAUTION Extra Caution on our Roads this morning!

Crawl, just crawl and even then be extra cautious :eek::eek:

Frightening driving to work this morning,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Yes I second that. Even though the sun is shining now, it doesn't mean that all the ice is gone even on major roads. Slow down people!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

I used http://www.breendrivingschool.ie/ Would highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Radio5 wrote: »
    Yes I second that. Even though the sun is shining now, it doesn't mean that all the ice is gone even on major roads. Slow down people!!!

photo-48.jpg

At Ballydowney roundabout.

Yikes, my car broke down last Wednesday and likely won't be back on the road until Tuesday while we wait for a part to come for it.

Could be a blessing in disguise looking at madrabui pic above.

My own car went dancing at one point en route to work this morning, Twud put the fear of God into you :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Any snow around molls gap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Izarb Adele

Hi!!! I've been travelling around the west coast of Ireland during four months. Now I'm moving to Killarney this weekend, I will live there for few months. I'm from Spain, but I WANT to learn English, so I would love to meet people from Ireland and other countries apart from mine. So, if someone knows about any forum/facebook group/pub... Whatever!!! Please, tell me about it! :) I'm looking forward to meet new people.

Apart from that... Any interesting artistic places in Killarney would be also a great information ;)

Have fun!

Ross Castle, Muckross House, The Cathedral, Gap of Dunloe, Killarney National Park, Torc Waterfall, Inisfallen are all the major places to see. There's loads of info on google. I'm not really sure how to go about meeting people, there is a camera club if you're into photography
    https://www.facebook.com/killarneycameraclub
    There is a walking club but I've no idea if they are still active
    http://www.sliabhluachrahillwalkingclub.com

• Advertisement

There is an English school in Killarney. Some of my foreign friends have done the course and now sound like they were born and reared in Kerry! http://www.ksoe.com/

Killarney is a tourist town so it is very quiet in the Winter and doesn't usually pick up until St. Patrick's Day which is the 17th of March. I know there are quite a few Spanish people living in town but I don't know of any facebook groups or anything about meet ups etc. There are plenty of sports clubs if you play. Gaelic football, soccer, Rugby. Lots of gyms and swimming pools and fitness classes going on. I am a male and the fitness class I go to is usually 2 males and 7 females so there is something for everyone.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

dobman88 wrote: »
    Killarney is a tourist town so it is very quiet in the Winter and doesn't usually pick up until St. Patrick's Day which is the 17th of March.

Just on this - while Killarney is definitely quieter in the winter period than it is in the summer, there is still a decent amount on/to do compared to other towns in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Izarb Adele

Thank you all!!! Killarney looks nice, even in winter! I've checked the English School, but it's too expensive for me... So I will keep learning on my own.
    Any recommendations about good pubs with good live music? ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Kdylass

Just wondering if anyone knows if boat trips from Ross Castle operate during the winter - taking my mother to Killarney for a night at the start of February and thought a trip would be nice, if weather allowed..

Kdylass wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows if boat trips from Ross Castle operate during the winter - taking my mother to Killarney for a night at the start of February and thought a trip would be nice, if weather allowed..

Back operating End of March afaik. You could always get a Jaunty through the National Park though, something different & nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Kdylass

thats a pity but understandable - might try the Jaunty tho - thanks

Thank you all!!! Killarney looks nice, even in winter! I've checked the English School, but it's too expensive for me... So I will keep learning on my own.

The Grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gill_Murph

The Failte has good music at the weekend and so does the Porterhouse.

The Grand is a good place to go any night of the week with Irish Traditional music between 9-11 and good bands there after and there's a nightclub there too so you can dance the night away! ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jollyman2

Hey all looking for some help, trying to arrange a stag for April in Killarney. We were hoping to do the bubble soccer as we have done it before there, but the only guy that i know that does it is away. I see dodgeball offered on some stag websites, does anyone know who the person or company is that runs the dodgeball?

Appreciate any help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

What do folk think about the proposed location for the Killarney Music and Food festival?

http://www.killarneytoday.com/festival-goes-mad-after-half-moon/

Not sure I like the idea of using the National Park for a concert like this.

Anyone know where the Killarney National Park Liaison Group meeting is being held?

Advertisement