Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

On the location of the concert I've heard different things - basically I've heard the two locations mentioned.

If it's the one in behind the Golden Gates it seems fierce close to town for me. Also seems to be a bit odd to have a music festival in that location, when they have been doing work in there for the last while in terms of upkeep. In either case I can see traffic being an absolute disaster and parking being a massive issue (especially if its the Golden Gate option)

Anyone know for sure?

Also has anyone heard much about how tickets are selling/whether town is likely to be busy for this? I haven't heard much in the way of talk from those involved in the tourism industry in terms of bookings

The lineup of bands looks pretty unappealing to me especially at the cost of €80 plus for a single day ticket but musical tastes vary widely and I'm constantly baffled by what people are willing to pay for tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    On the location of the concert I've heard different things - basically I've heard the two locations mentioned.

If it's the one in behind the Golden Gates it seems fierce close to town for me. Also seems to be a bit odd to have a music festival in that location, when they have been doing work in there for the last while in terms of upkeep. In either case I can see traffic being an absolute disaster and parking being a massive issue (especially if its the Golden Gate option)

Anyone know for sure?

Also has anyone heard much about how tickets are selling/whether town is likely to be busy for this? I haven't heard much in the way of talk from those involved in the tourism industry in terms of bookings

The lineup of bands looks pretty unappealing to me especially at the cost of €80 plus for a single day ticket but musical tastes vary widely and I'm constantly baffled by what people are willing to pay for tickets.

I have heard it's €71 for a weekend ticket but don't hold me to that. It's just second hand info. Didn't even know there was going to be a music festival in town until I found out this weekend.

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    I have heard it's €71 for a weekend ticket but don't hold me to that. It's just second hand info. Didn't even know there was going to be a music festival in town until I found out this weekend.

Just checked the website there - the online booking fee takes it to over €80 for a one day ticket.

The whole food element seems to be a very weird add-on. Really struggling to see the appeal of going to see some cooks in a field.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Just checked the website there - the online booking fee takes it to over €80 for a one day ticket.

The whole food element seems to be a very weird add-on. Really struggling to see the appeal of going to see some cooks in a field.

What they're throwing in a food festival along with it? TBH I can't see why or how they are charging €80 for a ticket..fecking ridiculous :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

What they're throwing in a food festival along with it? TBH I can't see why or how they are charging €80 for a ticket..fecking ridiculous :pac:

it is a bit much. Not everyone is going to go and see every act playing. I would like to see Duran Duran, but I'm not paying €70/80 just to see them! You should be allowed either buy a ticket for an act or the whole day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

newman10 wrote: »
    Hi
    Would anyone know of a good Fireplace installer. Have an old Slate fireplace that need fitting

Thanks

Newman

where in Kerry?

I take it's only for the day? I was led to believe it was for the weekend but from what ye are saying and from what my SIL is saying it's only the day? I must look up the website all together..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

It is on for the weekend in the field behind Killarney House. (Where the "Golden Gates" are) Tickets can be bought for one or both days.

http://www.killarneyfestival.ie/tickets/

I take it's only for the day? I was led to believe it was for the weekend but from what ye are saying and from what my SIL is saying it's only the day? I must look up the website all together..

No its a 2 day thing - a 2 day ticket is over €145 with booking fee

Looking at the list of acts and how it's spread over 2 days, it really looks like there are is a serious amount of filler in terms of the acts. I know you will always get that to an extent with festivals but I can't help wondering what the vibe will be like during the day-time/afternoon/early evening section of things, especially given the fact that the lineup seems to be deliberately designed with a keep-out for teenagers and those in their twenties, given the cost and lineup - really looks like the target audience is a 30+ crowd

As for the food part of things I wouldn't be surprised if the price of food goes well into the absolutely ridiculous arena price-wise. The fact that the first answer in the FAQ says that you cannot bring food or drink into the festival would have my alarm bells ringing massively, especially when you combine it with the PR guff about the food village on the website.
    The Killarney Gourmet Food Village will be an extensive showcase of wine and food not only for the region of Kerry but for Ireland as a whole. The food village will be dedicated to the excellence in taste and food lifestyles. The area will feature well established restaurants from around Ireland, local artisan food producers and culinary demonstrations by some of Ireland’s finest celebrity and Michelin Star chefs. Food vendors offering cuisine from around the world will also be on site to cater for up to 20,000 festival goers over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    it is a bit much. Not everyone is going to go and see every act playing. I would like to see Duran Duran, but I'm not paying €70/80 just to see them! You should be allowed either buy a ticket for an act or the whole day.

You can't really just pay for an act, it would be impossible to implement in a festival situation. There's a few bands there I want to see but as they haven't broken down who is playing what day, I won't be buying any ticket until they do. A 2 day ticket is the bones of 150, you could go to Electric Picnic for 3 nights camping for around 200. Seems bananas.

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    You can't really just pay for an act, it would be impossible to implement in a festival situation. There's a few bands there I want to see but as they haven't broken down who is playing what day, I won't be buying any ticket until they do. A 2 day ticket is the bones of 150, you could go to Electric Picnic for 3 nights camping for around 200. Seems bananas.

they have a few of the bands listed, who are playing on what days on their website, not in any particular time order and some still TBC
    http://www.killarneyfestival.ie/line-up/main-stage/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Have they done away with the artbacker stage after the 'you must sell tickets' fiasco?

Looking at the line up for the main stage on Saturday and Sunday..there really are some filler acts there. I just don't understand how bands like that can justify such high prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

I priced a ticket for Jools Holland playing in Dublin later in the year ..e49.50.. So I guess if they think about it train fare, accommodation, etc, maybe e75 for a day in a field with other artists/ musicians might be worth it..
    Time will tell if this festival will be a success..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭sporina

hi will be in killarney next weekend - two girls heading down for a spa break to the brehon - looking for a recommendation for a restaurant - somewhere reasonable - where locals would eat - well those who like good food - preferably fish - good wine essential - not fine dining but good food = local - any recommendations?

sporina wrote: »
    hi will be in killarney next weekend - two girls heading down for a spa break to the brehon - looking for a recommendation for a restaurant - somewhere reasonable - where locals would eat - well those who like good food - preferably fish - good wine essential - not fine dining but good food = local - any recommendations?

moved to the Killarney thread
    MOD

Treyvauds or Robertinos fit your criteria. Both same price range at €35-€45 per person including tip and wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

where in Kerry?

Killarney Area

Hi
    Would anyone know of a good Fireplace installer. Have an old Slate fireplace that need fitting

Thanks

Newman

Moved into the Killarney thread. Can anyone help with this query?
    MOD

Killarney Area

I've never hsd that kind of work carried out buy my neighbours recently used http://www.kcbs.ie/kerry-chimney-services/stove-installation/ and were delighted with the work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Try Milano :)

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Try Milano :)

ah now if i was gonna go to Milano I could find it in many towns/cities - show me Killarney - not a fan of chain restaurants either

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

dobman88 wrote: »
    I've never hsd that kind of work carried out buy my neighbours recently used http://www.kcbs.ie/kerry-chimney-services/stove-installation/ and were delighted with the work.

Hi dobman, thanks for that. Have an old Slate fireplace that needs fitting. Needs to be someone good who has worked with Slate because it can be brittle and has no fitting clips.

Newman

ah now if i was gonna go to Milano I could find it in many towns/cities - show me Killarney - not a fan of chain restaurants either

I really like The Porterhouse, it's not cheap (but few places are in Killarney) but it's not crazy expensive either, Food is lovely, staff are friendly and has a good atmosphere.

Could try Mareenas Simply Food. I think it's rated quite high on Trip Advisor but I've never been as it seems a bit expensive. I can't recommend Treyvauds highly enough though.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Could try Mareenas Simply Food. I think it's rated quite high on Trip Advisor but I've never been as it seems a bit expensive. I can't recommend Treyvauds highly enough though.

treyvauds looks good…

lots of good reviews of stonechat but cannot find menu on line - not on FB and no website?

treyvauds looks good…

lots of good reviews of stonechat but cannot find menu on line - not on FB and no website?

I used to house share with the chef from stone chat and I asked him one time about booking a table for me and my OH and his response was "don't bother". Apparently it's not great.

Could check out Gaby's and Paddy's but they have a bit of a reputation as tourist traps. I've heard some good reviews for the West End from friends but never been.

is the Wholesome Fayre shop still open in Killarney?

We drove passed it on Friday, and I could have sworn it looked like it was closed down, but I couldn't tell for sure as I was driving!

is the Wholesome Fayre shop still open in Killarney?

We drove passed it on Friday, and I could have sworn it looked like it was closed down, but I couldn't tell for sure as I was driving!

Closed afaik. Falling out between the owners apparently. One of them is now running The West End and reopened The Granary also. The other guy is a deputy general manager in a hotel in town.

• Advertisement

i like the look of mareenas

Advertisement