Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

sporina wrote: »
    i like the look of mareenas

Nice location too right next to the Kube for cocktails after :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭sporina

right - thats the grub sorted - now what about bars? i love old man type bars for a start then maybe some live music after dinner or a disco bar or somewhere with a dj but does not have to be a pub…

like where would the locals drink? somewhere were you could meet a few characters?

would prefer the lesser of the touristy spots… though i know its killarney

right - thats the grub sorted - now what about bars? i love old man type bars for a start then maybe some live music after dinner or a disco bar or somewhere with a dj but does not have to be a pub…

like where would the locals drink? somewhere were you could meet a few characters?

would prefer the lesser of the touristy spots… though i know its killarney

My two locals are The Laune on New Street opposite Eddie Rockets. And Corkerys on High Street opposite Penneys.

O' Connors and The 98 both on High Street would have traditional music and The Failte on College street would too but that tends to be way too overcrowded for my liking.

Disco bar, can't go wrong with The Kube imo. Nice staff, nice clientèle and nice cocktails. Age group mid 20' plus.

Be sure to give us a trip report after your visit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Old man bars.. Husseys bar in high street comes to mind.. Also Arbutus Hotel in College St..
    A lot of bar in Killarney have some form of entertainment.. But Courtney's bar in plunkett street , Mcsorelys bar Failte bar and Scotts all in college street and all very near each other..
    Late night it could be the Kube, or the Grand, for nice cocktails try the Lane bar..trendy spot..enjoy the detox afterwards..

wow lots of different options in two replies but thanks..

era i can't drink much - i rarely drink cocktails - if i do its a singapore sling… wine is my devil - lots of dancing and water and i'll be grand

staying in the brehon - spa treatments on monday so all good… twill be very nice indeed..

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    My two locals are The Laune on New Street opposite Eddie Rockets. And Corkerys on High Street opposite Penneys.

O' Connors and The 98 both on High Street would have traditional music and The Failte on College street would too but that tends to be way too overcrowded for my liking.

Disco bar, can't go wrong with The Kube imo. Nice staff, nice clientèle and nice cocktails. Age group mid 20' plus.

Be sure to give us a trip report after your visit :)

do you mean the lane also? of is there a Laune bar?

If you can manage it, try to get to the lake hotel, and relax with a nice glass of wine beside the lake and mountain view.. About a ten minute walk from the Brehon..
    hope you get to see the deer grazing from your the hotel..

• Registered Users Posts: 30 speedbird184

Anyone recommend someone who can install a new car radio?

do you mean the lane also? of is there a Laune bar?

There's a Laune bar too.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

Anyone in the area that can recommend a place for Gait Analysis?
    Feet first and Elverys do it. Any other places? Any good/bad experiences?

• Advertisement

Anyone recommend someone who can install a new car radio?

Any mechanic should be able to do that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The Lane bar is a really nice spot, older crowd, very chilled, never any trouble, bar staff are really sound too. Kube is a nice spot too, bit of a younger crowd though but never any trouble in there. There's never any trouble in Killarney really, it was crazy during Easter weekend but I didn't notice any fights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Jamie in Elvery's is good. He knows his stuff and is not too pushy. Ask for the Footbalance and Gait Analysis and get him to mould an insole as well as recommending a shoe. Most of the staff in Elverys don't have Gait training, it is on insole moulding and at that it is a little hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Got it done in First feet. Was having problems with my knees, called into them. Chucked me up on the threadmill and recorded my movement. Now this was for runners but I'd imagine it's the same concept with walking too. Bought a pair of runners designed for my gait, expensive but was definitely worth the money in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thank God for the Rain! Some much needed Welcome Reprieve for our Fire Services.
    They've had to do some more Trojan Work in very recent times & I for one certainly Hope they are all Okay & un-hurt.

Thanks for the Massive work putting out the fires in our National Park :)
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

madcabbage wrote:
    Got it done in First feet. Was having problems with my knees, called into them. Chucked me up on the threadmill and recorded my movement. Now this was for runners but I'd imagine it's the same concept with walking too. Bought a pair of runners designed for my gait, expensive but was definitely worth the money in the long run.

Thanks, I called into feetfirst today. They said the machine was down but they "could do it manually" I wasnt convinced by this and exited stage left.

the following have been recommended by a local - husseys, courtneys, mcsweeneys, and lane bar - stonechat for eats..

what about lunch on sunday? somewhere like jam in kenmare?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Thank God for the Rain! Some much needed Welcome Reprieve for our Fire Services.
    They've had to do some more Trojan Work in very recent times & I for one certainly Hope they are all Okay & un-hurt.

Thanks for the Massive work putting out the fires in our National Park :)
    kerry4sam

People who start the fires need to be more responsible and should get penailsed more heavily for their carelessness and stupidity. Its a total disgrace where limited emergency services get deployed to beat fionnan on the side of a mountain to save a forestry or similar and a maybe a real emergency crisis such as a traffic collision or house fire occur and no local service to deal with it.
    I have burned several mountains myself but I have plenty help and do preventive measures from it spreading. I know others who light the match and head to the pub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    People who start the fires need to be more responsible and should get penailsed more heavily for their carelessness and stupidity. Its a total disgrace where limited emergency services get deployed to beat fionnan on the side of a mountain to save a forestry or similar and a maybe a real emergency crisis such as a traffic collision or house fire occur and no local service to deal with it.
    I have burned several mountains myself but I have plenty help and do preventive measures from it spreading. I know others who light the match and head to the pub.

Burning mountains is actually beneficial for the local wildlife, fresh green shoots will emerge from the burning and this will help farmers and wildlife alike. The reason farmers burn scrub and furze is because of the Dept. Of Agriculture cutting back farmers on their entitlements if they have scrubland.

Only a few years ago they were encouraging farmers to destock and be in harmony with nature which let many places go wild and huge big stockpiles of tinder and dead vegetation to buildup. Burning the land goes back to prehistoric times and farmers are the custodians and stewards of the land to best manage it.

I don't see the point in sending out Firefighters to quench these fires when they inevitably burn themselves out anyway, and fire is the best preventer of fires, some areas scorched might not need to be burnt for decades again. Obviously care must be taken to prevent forestry's from getting burnt but otherwards I think it is a waste of resources sending in firefighters etc.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Burning mountains is actually beneficial for the local wildlife, fresh green shoots will emerge from the burning and this will help farmers and wildlife alike. The reason farmers burn scrub and furze is because of the Dept. Of Agriculture cutting back farmers on their entitlements if they have scrubland.

I understand the etiquette of burning as i do it myself.
    I don't see the point in sending out Firefighters to quench these fires when they inevitably burn themselves out anyway, and fire is the best preventer of fires, some areas scorched might not need to be burnt for decades again. Obviously care must be taken to prevent forestry's from getting burnt but otherwards I think it is a waste of resources sending in firefighters etc.

People call the fire bridage when the shit hits the fan, all they do is control it best they can. As i said in my earlier post i do preventive measures which is creating a fire belt around the perimeter.

• Advertisement

A: Under Section 40 of the Wildlife Act 1976, as amended by the Wildlife (Amendment) Act, 2000, landowners are prohibited from burning growing vegetation on land not yet cultivated, between 1st March and 31st August of any given year.
    Ask yourself why it is necessary to enforce this law, for some reason a few landowners year after year ignore the guidelines, and proof of this is clearly noted over the past weeks, where 100s of acres of land and wildlife has been destroyed plus peoples homes and health in danger..

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    A: Under Section 40 of the Wildlife Act 1976, as amended by the Wildlife (Amendment) Act, 2000, landowners are prohibited from burning growing vegetation on land not yet cultivated, between 1st March and 31st August of any given year.
    Ask yourself why it is necessary to enforce this law, for some reason a few landowners year after year ignore the guidelines, and proof of this is clearly noted over the past weeks, where 100s of acres of land and wildlife has been destroyed plus peoples homes and health in danger..

Your post where i have highlighted in bold is irrelevant to legislation, these are the people who light a fire and walk away from it thinking it be grand.
    The weather is the problem people burn after the deadline, you wouldn't cut a sod of turf and bring it home that evening for firing or cut down a tree and try it for firing immediately either.

hi will be in killarney next weekend - two girls heading down for a spa break to the brehon - looking for a recommendation for a restaurant - somewhere reasonable - where locals would eat - well those who like good food - preferably fish - good wine essential - not fine dining but good food = local - any recommendations?

hi folks had thee best time in Killarney. The Brehon was divine. Had dinner in Robertino's - was ok - I choose wrong for my main - got hake with chorizo - poor quality - but the sides were great - fair play to them for putting effort into sides - a lot of places do not. +1 had chicken which she loved. Its reasonable and portions are big.

Went to O Connors - the o donoghue sisters were out of this world = good trad - not the diddly i stuff.
    Ended up on McSorleys - would not be a fan of such a place but we had limited choice on a sunday night.

fab time had. kerry rocks. Met some fab people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Hi guys,

Looking at camping on the Friday to the Sunday in Killarney for the lakes.

I was booked in to a camping site, however they phoned back saying they would rather not we come due to it being a group of 8 ( 5 guys, 3 girls ) Our ages range from 21 to 25, 3 cars.

All three cars do not have loud exhaust and are pretty much family wagons. We are looking to drink when back at the camping site, and then wait until Sunday night to go out into town. We would be following the rally so up at 6am both days.

My question is really, any locals know of any campsite that would entertain us for the few nights? I think due to the average age of the gang, and previous experience the campsite felt they could not allow us to stay.

Any suggestions?

Has anyone here climbed Mangerton? I did Torc and Cardic Hill yesterday and again today but want to try and take on Mangerton before (hopefully) Carrantouhill at the end of summer. Torc is great exercise but it just seems a bit easy.

Are the trails up Mangerton sign posted? How long should it take? Is it hard? Scale of 1-10. Would I need to wear hiking boots/gear or is it ok to do in a good pair of runners and shorts and a t-shirt like Torc? I've never even thought of climbing a mountain before but it's something I want to do now, along with doing a marathon in 2016. Any advice for a complete novice welcome. Thanks.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Has anyone here climbed Mangerton? I did Torc and Cardic Hill yesterday and again today but want to try and take on Mangerton before (hopefully) Carrantouhill at the end of summer. Torc is great exercise but it just seems a bit easy.

Are the trails up Mangerton sign posted? How long should it take? Is it hard? Scale of 1-10. Would I need to wear hiking boots/gear or is it ok to do in a good pair of runners and shorts and a t-shirt like Torc? I've never even thought of climbing a mountain before but it's something I want to do now, along with doing a marathon in 2016. Any advice for a complete novice welcome. Thanks.

mangerton is not difficult but in any case you should not hike alone - not as a novice anyway - why don't you join a club? there are loads around

mangerton is not difficult but in any case you should not hike alone - not as a novice anyway - why don't you join a club? there are loads around

Thanks, could you point me in the direction of any clubs climbing Mangerton or Carrantouhill? Google just shows walking clubs and one Carrantouhill climb but it's guided at €55pp.

I actually went for a drive up to Mangerton and Carrantouhill after making my OP. Mangerton looks ok. Looking forward to doing it. Carrantouhill just looked absolutely majestic! Something very daunting about standing there surrounded by mountains but I was fascinated by it. I'd never been up to see either mountain before and they were stunning. Definitely want to climb them after seeing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

You'd manage Mangerton no problem, especially with the lovely weather were having. The trail is is straight forward enough, dirt then gravel for most of it. Do it as a group if it's for the first time though.

madcabbage wrote: »
    You'd manage Mangerton no problem, especially with the lovely weather were having. The trail is is straight forward enough, dirt then gravel for most of it. Do it as a group if it's for the first time though.

Yeah after going up for a look there's no way I'll be going alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Concern do a Carrauntoohill climb in july I think? I did it a few years ago. Had to pay a bit, to Concern. Just had a quick google there and it says €25 plus raise €100?? I definitely didn't do that part, paid abt 45 if memory serves.
    That seems excessive to me. Anyway might be worth looking into. Good way to do it with lots of people and guides etc. It was a busy mountain that day!

Advertisement