Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Did cardiac today...not boosting but l thought it would be way harder from what lv heard people say, l did stop a good few times but didnt take me long at all...l was sweating buckets tho & could hear my heart thump but was great....loved it!

wheres mangerton? would love to do carrantouhill also!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Did cardiac today...not boosting but l thought it would be way harder from what lv heard people say, l did stop a good few times but didnt take me long at all...l was sweating buckets tho & could hear my heart thump but was great....loved it!

wheres mangerton? would love to do carrantouhill also!

Cardiac hill isn't supposed to be hard though. It's just exercise. It actually only takes 10mins to climb the steps, the rest of the time is just walking to them and then the descent.

Mangerton is sign posted right next to the Muckross Park hotel. It's the first left after it. Blink and you'd miss it type thing. Go left there, follow that road for a couple of miles and then take a right. That's Mangerton you'll be looking at then.

If you like I will PM you when I am doing Carantouhill and come along if you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭sporina

dobman88 wrote: »
    Thanks, could you point me in the direction of any clubs climbing Mangerton or Carrantouhill? Google just shows walking clubs and one Carrantouhill climb but it's guided at €55pp.

I actually went for a drive up to Mangerton and Carrantouhill after making my OP. Mangerton looks ok. Looking forward to doing it. Carrantouhill just looked absolutely majestic! Something very daunting about standing there surrounded by mountains but I was fascinated by it. I'd never been up to see either mountain before and they were stunning. Definitely want to climb them after seeing them.

googled and found this
    http://www.sliabhluachrahillwalkingclub.com/index.php

there are probably more

sporina wrote: »
    googled and found this
    http://www.sliabhluachrahillwalkingclub.com/index.php

there are probably more

There are more, loads more. But like the one you linked they are all walking clubs and don't do Carrantouhill. They do a part of Mangerton, not the mountain itself. I have checked all those out. The one you linked is actually run by my neighbour.

Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭sporina

There are more, loads more. But like the one you linked they are all walking clubs and don't do Carrantouhill. They do a part of Mangerton, not the mountain itself. I have checked all those out. The one you linked is actually run by my neighbour.

Thanks anyway.

strange i wonder why not - i am in cork - there are loads of hiking clubs and they all do caurran etc..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Cardiac hill isn't supposed to be hard though. It's just exercise. It actually only takes 10mins to climb the steps, the rest of the time is just walking to them and then the descent.

Mangerton is sign posted right next to the Muckross Park hotel. It's the first left after it. Blink and you'd miss it type thing. Go left there, follow that road for a couple of miles and then take a right. That's Mangerton you'll be looking at then.

If you like I will PM you when I am doing Carantouhill and come along if you like?

thanks dobman must check it out. Times tight with me but sure lemme know anyway!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

flexcon wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Looking at camping on the Friday to the Sunday in Killarney for the lakes.

I was booked in to a camping site, however they phoned back saying they would rather not we come due to it being a group of 8 ( 5 guys, 3 girls ) Our ages range from 21 to 25, 3 cars.

All three cars do not have loud exhaust and are pretty much family wagons. We are looking to drink when back at the camping site, and then wait until Sunday night to go out into town. We would be following the rally so up at 6am both days.

My question is really, any locals know of any campsite that would entertain us for the few nights? I think due to the average age of the gang, and previous experience the campsite felt they could not allow us to stay.

Any suggestions?

I moved this into the Killarney thread as I noticed it hadn't been answered. Can anyone help with this query?

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I moved this into the Killarney thread as I noticed it hadn't been answered. Can anyone help with this query?

Saw that query alright. Be fairly scarce at this stage. Not sure how legal it is to park up in a random spot in town somewhere or make camp in the demesne pitch or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Is there a caravan and camp site in Fossa? I can't n remember now for sure. Might be another option, bit out of town though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Saw that query alright. Be fairly scarce at this stage. Not sure how legal it is to park up in a random spot in town somewhere or make camp in the demesne pitch or something.

That suggestion is fully illegal thankfully

• Advertisement

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    That suggestion is fully illegal thankfully

I wasn't sure tbh but not surprised it's illegal.

Most places in and around town even stretching out to Beaufort would be booked out a year in advance. Be very lucky to find anything at all for that weekend. Even places in Killorglin and Kenmare would be booked because they are close to rally stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Has anyone here climbed Mangerton? I did Torc and Cardic Hill yesterday and again today but want to try and take on Mangerton before (hopefully) Carrantouhill at the end of summer. Torc is great exercise but it just seems a bit easy.

Are the trails up Mangerton sign posted? How long should it take? Is it hard? Scale of 1-10. Would I need to wear hiking boots/gear or is it ok to do in a good pair of runners and shorts and a t-shirt like Torc? I've never even thought of climbing a mountain before but it's something I want to do now, along with doing a marathon in 2016. Any advice for a complete novice welcome. Thanks.

Mangerton was okay. One path up & same back down. Plenty of huuuuge rocks nicely placed if you want to, you know, sit whilst taking in the Beautiful Scenery below you.
    Parking at the base handy. As per normal in Killarney, don't leave valuables in view, no security, few passers by supposed to be in the area as opposed to being there for opportunity sakes ;)

Ah it's okay it you take your time. Beautiful! Found it Moderate 6-7-8 pending physical capabilities at the time & speaking as someone who climbed it with a sore back using the mountain to re-build strength and flexibility though prob easier ways of doing this, I opted to climb Mangerton. Climbed using boots, t-shirt & shorts (sunscreen a must!). It was fun :)

Look at this view of our Lakes: Image#1 & Image#2.

Safe Climbing,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Does anyone know if the Hotel Europe does afternoon tea?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Does anyone know if the Hotel Europe does afternoon tea?

I think so but it might only be a weekend thing.

Best bet is to ring them

In other news was talking to some folk involved with the work going on in Killarney House.

The Musical Festival won't be taking place near the Golden Gate entrance as there something like 1500 trees/bushes/plants gone into the large field that is/was in front of Killarney House and a whole load of walkways as well. They weren't sure when it will be open to the public but there were some bigwigs due down the last day or two.

Also the fee the promoter is paying for the music festival is €75,000 plus 5% of ticket sales. The 75,000 does seem a bit low but the 5% could be worth a bit depending on ticket sales.

Boom__Boom wrote: »

In other news was talking to some folk involved with the work going on in Killarney House.

The Musical Festival won't be taking place near the Golden Gate entrance as there something like 1500 trees/bushes/plants gone into the large field that is/was in front of Killarney House and a whole load of walkways as well. They weren't sure when it will be open to the public but there were some bigwigs due down the last day or two.

So where are they going to site it then???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Doesn't make sense to hold it on the grounds of a newly refurbished house with brand new gardens. Fair whack of money has already gone into the place, letting a concert with so many 100's people walk all over it will ruin the place. Anything concrete on where it's actually gonna be held?

Still advertising it on the website as Killarney House, Demense.

Pure madness

Like if only there was a big field within walking distance of town with facilities already on site, a big field say with proper entrances and walls. A big field that has held concerts before. A big field with seating and viewing terraces already in place.

If only Killarney had such a field....... Jaysus it'd be a great town then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Like if only there was a big field within walking distance of town with facilities already on site, a big field say with proper entrances and walls. A big field that has held concerts before. A big field with seating and viewing terraces already in place.

If only Killarney had such a field....... Jaysus it'd be a great town then.

Would be a disaster if you have it in The Park, festivals require multiple stages with ample walking room. Where would the other stages and food fair go? Festivals aren't designed for seating, concerts are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Molzer2

I think it's going to be a few hundred metres east of killarney house, off mission road in the field / area closer to the river walk.
    Anybody know what the story is with kids, like are they allowed go? How much etc.

I just found good info about it on killarney.ie

siblers wrote: »
    Would be a disaster if you have it in The Park, festivals require multiple stages with ample walking room. Where would the other stages and food fair go? Festivals aren't designed for seating, concerts are.

Well it ain't suitable for the National Park then either, so they can have it in portaloo for all I care as long as it's not in the National Park.

This "festival" just seems annoying to me. The bike fest is the way to do it. Always a fantastic weekend. All entertainment free and the friendliest bunch you could meet.

Unlike next weekend, head banger brigade come to town. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

I wonder every year how this rally is allowed to continue to be held in the town, but I am reminded by business and the media how much money it brings to the town, just like the music and food festival promises...
    The voices of the people of Killarney/ and surrounding areas are ignored constantly...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

This "festival" just seems annoying to me. The bike fest is the way to do it. Always a fantastic weekend. All entertainment free and the friendliest bunch you could meet.

Free won't pay for Duran Duran etc
    Well it ain't suitable for the National Park then either, so they can have it in portaloo for all I care as long as it's not in the National Park.
    Depends where in the national park.

siblers wrote: »
    Free won't pay for Duran Duran etc

Depends where in the national park.

I couldn't tell you one Duran Duran song. The only other band I've heard of are Texas and I only know one song. The ACDC and GnR tribute acts for bike fest are a better line up. I love my music and go to about 10 concerts a year but won't bw buying a ticket for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

The ACDC and GnR tribute acts for bike fest are a better line up. I love my music and go to about 10 concerts a year but won't bw buying a ticket for this.

But then that is your opinion, I wouldn't want to listen to acdc and don't even know who gnr is.

Personally I'm not interested in Duran Duran or Texas either but I would imagine it would have a wider appeal than the other noisy rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    I wonder every year how this rally is allowed to continue to be held in the town, but I am reminded by business and the media how much money it brings to the town, just like the music and food festival promises...
    The voices of the people of Killarney/ and surrounding areas are ignored constantly...

Was talking to someone in the tourism trade in town last night and they said town was pretty much completely booked up this weekend.

I really don't buy the notion that the rally brings much all that much in terms of extra money to the town. When you look at all the bother it brings, I definitely don't think it's worthwhile.

At least the music and food festival looks to be aimed at a 30 something plus / family crowd given the lineup. Between the lineup of bands and the ticket prices for teens versus under 12s, it seems almost specifically designed to repel teens and twenty-somethings

From the website :
    Note: Under 12s are admitted free once accompanied by an adult (18yrs or over). Limit of 2 children per adult. Children do not require a ticket but must be registered when booking online with Ticketmaster.
    Teen Weekend Ticket (13-17yrs) - €71 incl b/fee
    Under 18's Must be accompanied by a person 18 or over.

Just to point out - that €71 does not include the booking fee which is an extra €6.10

Really looks like sharp practice to me, as reading that you would think that the €71 includes the booking fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Kerrybai

Looking to rent inside in Killarney town or very near as I don't drive and I live in the town... I have tried websites like daft.ie and what not but they have very little. Would like you pay no more than 80 euro a week if possible.

Can anyone lend me onto some good websites and what not?

Advertisement