Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Was talking to someone in the tourism trade in town last night and they said town was pretty much completely booked up this weekend.

I really don't buy the notion that the rally brings much all that much in terms of extra money to the town. When you look at all the bother it brings, I definitely don't think it's worthwhile.

It brings in plenty of money for the hospitality sector, Killarney will be mental next weekend, all the hotels, restraunts, bnbs, clubs, pubs etc will make a small fortune. Some of the retail outlets will probably suffer on the other hand though, it's not the type of crowd who would go out shopping and locals tend to stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Can't see the pubs making much out of next weekend since particular groups tend to buy out of off-licences and drink in public places like Ross Castle, or anywhere with ample parking. The mess that's made every year is sickening.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Kerrybai wrote: »
    Looking to rent inside in Killarney town or very near as I don't drive and I live in the town... I have tried websites like daft.ie and what not but they have very little. Would like you pay no more than 80 euro a week if possible.

Can anyone lend me onto some good websites and what not?

Have you tried the Killarney advertiser? Only for that we wouldn't have found the house we're in now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Just reading the advertiser here. The National Park clean up is on tomorrow between 10am and 1pm. All help appreciated for any amount of time. The contact is Timmy McCarthy 087 3176737. He says to ring ahead if you're going so they have enough equipment and wear old clothes and footwear. Can't make it myself cos I have a soccer match so best of luck and thank you to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

They were doing some sound rehearsals inside the wall by Mission Road; GoldenGates area in-front of the Killarney House area of our National Park v-recently.

Don't know who they were, but sound was pretty damn awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭slim223

Looking to buy le Chameau boots. Twomeys horse and country seem to have closed. Anywhere else in Killarney or Tralee that sell these.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

slim223 wrote: »
    Looking to buy le Chameau boots. Twomeys horse and country seem to have closed. Anywhere else in Killarney or Tralee that sell these.

there is a shop in Pembroke Street in Tralee that sells horse gear called Bridles and Bits, I think its still open. I don't know if it has that exact brand, but maybe give them a call
    066 7129988

I think Kellihers Mills also do equestrian stuff (066) 718 0200

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭geez

Hi I am based in Killarney and looking to get involved in the area in some shape or form does anybody know of any club/society etc looking for volunteers to help out? thanks geez

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

geez wrote: »
    Hi I am based in Killarney and looking to get involved in the area in some shape or form does anybody know of any club/society etc looking for volunteers to help out? thanks geez
    If interested in working with young people the KDYS require volunteer.. And training is provided after garda vetting.
    Also Killarney tidy towns and litter pickers..if you enquire at the town hall they could give you more info..
    KASI at beech road, could possibly be looking for people to help in their organisation.
    It really depends on what you enjoy doing and what hours and days you would be available..
    Some times Citizen Advice Bureau in beech road Also look for volunteers to help with Admin etc..
    Hope these are some help to you. Also on line, research volunteering in Kerry..

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭geez

If interested in working with young people the KDYS require volunteer.. And training is provided after garda vetting.
    Also Killarney tidy towns and litter pickers..if you enquire at the town hall they could give you more info..
    KASI at beech road, could possibly be looking for people to help in their organisation.
    It really depends on what you enjoy doing and what hours and days you would be available..
    Some times Citizen Advice Bureau in beech road Also look for volunteers to help with Admin etc..
    Hope these are some help to you. Also on line, research volunteering in Kerry..

Thanks very much for all the info will look into these options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Is Spellmans Timber still open lads?

Been trying to get through to them the last few days on the phone,it just goes straight to the answering machine,left my details heard noting back sent them an e-mail as well got no reply there either.

Is Spellmans Timber still open lads?

Been trying to get through to them the last few days on the phone,it just goes straight to the answering machine,left my details heard noting back sent them an e-mail as well got no reply there either.

As in Spellmans down Whitebridge? Though they were gone with a long time no? :confused:

madcabbage wrote: »
    As in Spellmans down Whitebridge? Though they were gone with a long time no? :confused:

These guys out in Kilcummin

http://spellmans.ie/

These guys out in Kilcummin

http://spellmans.ie/

My boss lives there. I'll ask him tomorrow.

Good news: They're still open.

Bad news: The yard is run by the owner and his son with nobody working in the office which is why you're not getting a reply to emails and phone calls.

My boss said this morning you're better off taking a spin out to see them. It's only 15mins from Killarney. If you want directions just PM me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The Stunning have been added to the acts for the Killarney festival! Love that band, but not sure I could justify spending €76 just to go see them on the Saturday! Not when I want to see Duran Duran play on the Sunday too! :(

dobman88 wrote: »
    Good news: They're still open.

Bad news: The yard is run by the owner and his son with nobody working in the office which is why you're not getting a reply to emails and phone calls.

My boss said this morning you're better off taking a spin out to see them. It's only 15mins from Killarney. If you want directions just PM me.

Thanks for your help,I might give a call to the yard so.

Was listening to Radio Kerry today about the Rally of the Lakes this weekend,

The stages tomorrow are on down in the Beara Peninsula,just wondering was there ever stages of the rally held in North Kerry? Or has it always been crossing the border to Cork?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The scumbag convention is in Killarney this weekend, never seen as much litter around Killarney as today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Stinicker wrote: »
    The scumbag convention is in Killarney this weekend, never seen as much litter around Killarney as today.

The place was wrecked this morning. These guys have no shame!

• Advertisement

That's what gets me the most. They can drive around as much as they want but the litter pees me right off. The litter after one night out the Muckross Road is shocking, gods know how bad it'll be by Monday! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

What gets me is the power that one business in Killarney holds over the rest of businesses in town.

This rally benefits petrol stations, chippers and the Glen, that's it. Fcuk all else. The other businesses suffer as locals avoid town as much as possible so don't spend.

3 times last night I was awoken by ****wits doing doughnuts on the public road outside my house. If they turn up tonight and I get a chance I will put a pick axe through their bonnet.

The amount of pointless revving of sh1tbox engines in town today was ridiculous.

This rally is bad news for Killarney and should be banned.

Or just ban boy racers full stop. It's not fair to assume all rally followers are trouble makers, but something will have to be done. As you've said Axel, it's the Glen that seems to be in charge here, I'm surprised nothing more has been done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

madcabbage wrote: »
    Or just ban boy racers full stop. It's not fair to assume all rally followers are trouble makers, but something will have to be done. As you've said Axel, it's the Glen that seems to be in charge here, I'm surprised nothing more has been done about it.

The people who follow the rally are up at 6am to be at Molls Gap before the road is closed at 7am for the 8:30am start. Not the d1ckheads who do doughnuts at 3am and who cruise through Killarney while the rally was down in Castletownbere.

Cancel the rally and boy racers won't be here. It's that simple. The rally needs to be cancelled, it's the only plausible option.

All the Glen need to do is create another festival to replace it.
    Question:how brilliant would it be if the June Craft Beer fest was on this weekend instead of the ****ing rally?
    Answer: Immeasurably more brilliant

Have any of you seen the video or status on Facebook earlier tonight? Apparently some guys managed to get their car into the living room/ apartment they were renting for the weekend. A few friends of mine were saying it happened out in the Glen and they were kicked out.

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    Have any of you seen the video or status on Facebook earlier tonight? Apparently some guys managed to get their car into the living room/ apartment they were renting for the weekend. A few friends of mine were saying it happened out in the Glen and they were kicked out.

Yeah it was a joke. The same group had a twin cam stolen last year. It was a big enough story last year, car just loaded onto a trailer and driven away wothout a care in the world and apparently they're an expensive car. They were saying at least it won't get robbed this year. Harsh enough to get kicked out, I've been in those apartments and the doors are more than wide enough to fit the car in.

Yeah it was a joke. The same group had a twin cam stolen last year. It was a big enough story last year, car just loaded onto a trailer and driven away wothout a care in the world and apparently they're an expensive car. They were saying at least it won't get robbed this year. Harsh enough to get kicked out, I've been in those apartments and the doors are more than wide enough to fit the car in.

Yeah, you can hear a guy at the end saying something along the lines of "no one will steal the car tonight".
    I didn't actually realise it was the same group that had the car stolen last year.

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    Yeah, you can hear a guy at the end saying something along the lines of "no one will steal the car tonight".
    I didn't actually realise it was the same group that had the car stolen last year.

I don't know for a fact that it's the same group but that's what I heard. I couldn't listen to the noise in town anymore so I'm out in Gneeveguilla at my parents house watching the fight in peace and quiet.

• Advertisement

I don't know for a fact that it's the same group but that's what I heard. I couldn't listen to the noise in town anymore so I'm out in Gneeveguilla at my parents house watching the fight in peace and quiet.

Lucky you! I am down Woodlawn and I have being listening to them for the last two nights running, up and down the road like fiddlers elbows, with the occasional screech of a siren. Hopefully by this time tomorrow they'll have all buggered off!

Advertisement