Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    Lucky you! I am down Woodlawn and I have being listening to them for the last two nights running, up and down the road like fiddlers elbows, with the occasional screech of a siren. Hopefully by this time tomorrow they'll have all buggered off!

Yeah I live on Park Road and McDonalds is open 24hrs so made it worse. Awful pity the organisers can't learn from the bikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yeah I live on Park Road and McDonalds is open 24hrs so made it worse. Awful pity the organisers can't learn from the bikers.

Friend of mine was up there earlier, said he was an hour in the que. Screw that.

It's a pity they don't learn but tbh it's two very different crowds with two very different attitudes and mentalities. The Boy racers just want to go out "wrecking" whereas the bikers just want to have a good time and have a laugh.

I seriously can't wait for Bike Fest. One of my favourite times of the year for a definite :D

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    Friend of mine was up there earlier, said he was an hour in the que. Screw that.

It's a pity they don't learn but tbh it's two very different crowds with two very different attitudes and mentalities. The Boy racers just want to go out "wrecking" whereas the bikers just want to have a good time and have a laugh.

I seriously can't wait for Bike Fest. One of my favourite times of the year for a definite :D

Yeah I look forward to it every year. Best weekend in town by a mile but unfortunately will be in slane this year.

I assume you're watching the fight? Who would you like to see win?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Unfortunately I live in Muckross Drive, which is a hill for those who don't know it. You can hear a fecking mouse fart in town from here, whatever about those fecking gobsh*tes! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

What's going on this year?
    Has Superintendent Flor Murphy slept at all in recent days; his name/involvement is everywhere from what I am hearing. Maybe he will have a nice BankHolier Monday as they all leave Killarney and disperse outta town :)

Friday: I slept no bother Saturday: little to no sleep, but what an improvement to previous years. I am sure lessons can be learned through the towns' cctv for next-year, but for now - Outstanding Management from our EmergencyServices; town council; litter pickers; everyone really.

Just seems different this year. More emphasis on modification of vehicles in terms of style, over sound. Serious Volumes of traffic; but as someone who went cycling at 9am yesterday mixed in with jaunties; boy-racers and the OMG super-looking rally cars <- far more harmony on the roads than last year. I've seen numerous other cyclists this year around the town and when you see relaxed cyclists in that volume of traffic, then something somewhere is going right.

Well Done to all involved from me anyways. 2015 Rally of the Lakes almost over now; Great job being done with the media in terms of info being released for publication also.

Credit where credit is due,
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

I disagree Kerry4sam.

My aunt was terrorised last night by a group of youths who were sitting near her house. They proceeded to roar and shout everytime a loud modified car roared by, this went on for a few hours at 2am.

Guards???? Nowhere

This ****ing rally needs to go.

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    I disagree Kerry4sam.

My aunt was terrorised last night by a group of youths who were sitting near her house. They proceeded to roar and shout everytime a loud modified car roared by, this went on for a few hours at 2am.

Guards???? Nowhere

This ****ing rally needs to go.

Were they just sitting near her house and were loud or were they actually terrorising her by banging on windows and doors trying to get in? Did she call the Gards? If not, why? If she was being terrorised. Groups of youths are loud in town and around local estates every Saturday.

Lets not be too dramatic. Yes the rally brings a bad crowd, yes I'd like to see changes but posts like the above is just tabloid hyperbole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Were they just sitting near her house and were loud or were they actually terrorising her by banging on windows and doors trying to get in? Did she call the Gards? If not, why? If she was being terrorised. Groups of youths are loud in town and around local estates every Saturday.

Lets not be too dramatic. Yes the rally brings a bad crowd, yes I'd like to see changes but posts like the above is just tabloid hyperbole.

If it was your relative, your views might be slightly different!

If it was your relative, your views might be slightly different!

If it was my relative I'd have called the Gards. From what I've seen and heard they've stepped it up this year and have done a good job. I'd be the first to criticise them for not doing enough, not the case this year.

The turnout is poor compared to previous years. Think the checkpoints are starting to deter people but I wouldn't be all praise for the weekend, spoke to few people who've had their hearts broken with noise, people chucking cans at moving cars and general rubbish everywhere. The Gardai are doing everything they can but when your stretched on numbers for patrols, it's impossible to police the whole town at once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Daaryl

There was a lad who was diffin up in molls gap who hit the cliff he was seriously lucky he didn't roll the car, Video too those who didn't see it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xzuEIO4iQI

Your post is disingenuous and ill informed.

Groups of youths do not behave like that in estates in killarney every Saturday, they do not roar and shout repeatedly at passing cars for hours on end.

She should have rang the guards yes, but didn't. That doesn't excuse the behaviour.

Daaryl wrote: »
    There was a lad who was diffin up in molls gap who hit the cliff he was seriously lucky he didn't roll the car, Video too those who didn't see it

Window lickers! :pac:

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Your post is disingenuous and ill informed.

Groups of youths do not behave like that in estates in killarney every Saturday, they do not roar and shout repeatedly at passing cars for hours on end.

She should have rang the guards yes, but didn't. That doesn't excuse the behaviour.

I agree 100% it doesn't excuse the behaviour. I just thought your op was a little ott. A nuisance, Yes. Terrorising, no.

On another note, town seems quiet enough now. So good riddance til next year.

Daaryl wrote: »

What an absolute moron. Hey look at me, I'm a great driver. Wallop. Feckin eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 hmw

How do i get hid of ads on side of comments. Cant read them ads keep blocking

I see Topaz in town have the petrol at 1.45 for the weekend and tesco at 1.44 I think. I was in Listowel today for a soccer game and Tralee after, Listowel was 1.37, Tralee 1.35 I think. Will the prices drop in town after the rally or will we still be robbed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I see Topaz in town have the petrol at 1.45 for the weekend and tesco at 1.44 I think. I was in Listowel today for a soccer game and Tralee after, Listowel was 1.37, Tralee 1.35 I think. Will the prices drop in town after the rally or will we still be robbed?

There are always up to ten cent a litre dearer in Killarney.

Must be a tourist tax or something!

There are always up to ten cent a litre dearer in Killarney.

Must be a tourist tax or something!

Sucks. I normally fill up when we have an away game but forgot my wallet today :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Killarney is usually a rip-off for fuel, Tesco when they arrived around 2006 & 2007 really shook up the competition and alot of the smaller stations closed and I can remember buying petrol in Killarney around 2006 - 2007 for €0.87 a litre which of course was before Fianna Fail added around 40c a litre in taxes to bailout their corrupt scumbag cronies. Anyway since that time Tesco just adjusted their prices upwards pricing similarly with their rip-off competitors and are equally as expensive nowadays. When Tesco opened the station first there was often tailbacks for their pumps which they later expanded, it was like something out of the oil embargo days in the early 1970's.

I can remember the Rally of the Lakes in 2012 and that Topaz next to McDonalds charging €1.699 per litre for Petrol and how I was caught short there and I put in €10 as it was so expensive. After that I would run out of petrol first and walk home before I'd buy even as much as a Mars bar in that Topaz store after I seen such deliberate price gouging by them. Killarney is always 5c to 10c a litre more than Tralee anyway and only up the road around Newcastlewest seems to have the cheapest fuel in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I agree 100% it doesn't excuse the behaviour. I just thought your op was a little ott. A nuisance, Yes. Terrorising, no.

On another note, town seems quiet enough now. So good riddance til next year.

In hindsight 'terrorise' was too strong a word, but definitely unacceptable loutish behaviour.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Killarney is usually a rip-off for fuel, Tesco when they arrived around 2006 & 2007 really shook up the competition and alot of the smaller stations closed and I can remember buying petrol in Killarney around 2006 - 2007 for €0.87 a litre which of course was before Fianna Fail added around 40c a litre in taxes to bailout their corrupt scumbag cronies. Anyway since that time Tesco just adjusted their prices upwards pricing similarly with their rip-off competitors and are equally as expensive nowadays. When Tesco opened the station first there was often tailbacks for their pumps which they later expanded, it was like something out of the oil embargo days in the early 1970's.

I can remember the Rally of the Lakes in 2012 and that Topaz next to McDonalds charging €1.699 per litre for Petrol and how I was caught short there and I put in €10 as it was so expensive. After that I would run out of petrol first and walk home before I'd buy even as much as a Mars bar in that Topaz store after I seen such deliberate price gouging by them. Killarney is always 5c to 10c a litre more than Tralee anyway and only up the road around Newcastlewest seems to have the cheapest fuel in Ireland.

Wow, that is crazy. And with a new shop and petrol station in the pipeline on Muckross Road, Doyles could be the next small business to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

Wow, that is crazy. And with a new shop and petrol station in the pipeline on Muckross Road, Doyles could be the next small business to close.

Doyles is closing by the end of this month. Whoever owns the site now wants him out of there.

Doyles is closing by the end of this month. Whoever owns the site now wants him out of there.

Didn't know it was that soon. The older man who I always assumed was the owner is one of the friendliest people I've met. Pity it has to close.

A shame to hear it's closing, Billy is a gent of a man, not too many shopkeepers will be as welcoming as that man in Killarney.
    Anyone know what the craic is with Killarney Brewing company? From what I've seen in the front door there's gonna be a bar in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Would be a very good idea to show case the brewery while allowing people to sample craft brews..
    Guess they will need permission and a licence to sell beer on the premises to allow for to happen..great idea and good to see local entrepreneurs starting a new business and creating jobs.

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    Would be a very good idea to show case the brewery while allowing people to sample craft brews..
    Guess they will need permission and a licence to sell beer on the premises to allow for to happen..great idea and good to see local entrepreneurs starting a new business and creating jobs.

There is going to be a bar there definitely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Halo Kitty wrote: »

I don't think Internships count, which was what they were advertising, anyone who tries to profit with slave labour off the back of unemployed poor people deserve to fail in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

madcabbage wrote: »
    A shame to hear it's closing, Billy is a gent of a man, not too many shopkeepers will be as welcoming as that man in Killarney.
    Anyone know what the craic is with Killarney Brewing company? From what I've seen in the front door there's gonna be a bar in there?

They are bringing out six beers altogether. They are waiting for the premises license. It won't be a bar; you will be able to do a tour, watch an info movie and sample the beers at the end. Also they will be serving pizza slices. You won't be able to just pop in for a beer as it won't be a licensed bar

• Advertisement

Pizza has sold it for me! :pac:

Advertisement