Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 speedbird184

Anyone know a good plumber? I need to have the plumbing for a dishwasher installed as my kitchen doesn't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Johnnyq79

Anyone know a good plumber? I need to have the plumbing for a dishwasher installed as my kitchen doesn't have it.

That's an easy Diyarbakir job. You just replace the regular u bend under the sink with a bigger one that has the side bit where you put the dishwasher waste pipe into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

I said I would Add a comment here as I was down at Killarney for the weekend

Initially wanted to go camping however on arrival, they said strictly 11pm latest entry so rang to a hostel and stayed there all 9 of us in total.

Was around town until about 1am and we headed back to get some sleep and get up at 5.30am to get to Healy Pass to spend the day there. Soaked to the bone but still well worth it for the view of the cars going down the back side of the cliff.

ended up getting stuck though and getting a jeep to pull all 3 cars out!

Headed back to town and relaxed for the day! Saturday was the same out until 1AM and back again for sleep to be up for 5am to get to molls gap to get parking. Fantastic road. Love Kerry for this road alone!!!!

Stayed Sunday night again at hostel and went out in McSirleys nightclub which was full of robbing thieving travellers...seriously bad! Trying to rob the girls bags all night. Disgraceful!

Overall I broke it down into this:

Hostel : €25 a night x 3 nights x 8 people €600
    Food : €20 a day x 3 days x 8 people €480
    Petrol 3 cars at full tanks €70 €210
    Nightl out . roughly €70 each €560

total spent by our group €1,850

All of this was done in Co.Kerry by the way so thats just summary of what is spent in the area.

Also as one of those "boy racers" ( I go to seeing cars doing rings out by country bounds are 1am ) throughout the years, this year was crap

Well done to the guards, they slowed it down so much that no groups could get away and form a gang for a while. It was nigh impossible only for the odd group to get away. The general belief was this frustrated people so much that it ruined "their" weekend and people went home early.

Not for us, we were there for the Rally of course, but also to be fair for the crack at 11pm out some country roads.

Again from person who has been here every rally weekend for the past 8 years bar last year, the Guards truly deserve some credit as they stopped us from doing what we normally can do at 3am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

flexcon wrote: »
    Guards truly deserve some credit as they stopped us from doing what we normally can do at 3am.

So what you're saying is that you come to Killarney to engage in illegal activities and the Guards stopped that.

I'll give you credit for actually going and watching some motorsport, cos the knobs cruising through town all day all weekend weren't up Molls Gap or the Healy Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that you come to Killarney to engage in illegal activities and the Guards stopped that.

I'll give you credit for actually going and watching some motorsport, cos the knobs cruising through town all day all weekend weren't up Molls Gap or the Healy Pass.

My house mate and his friend were heading up to a stage of the rally on Saturday morning and met a load of cars coming the opposite way and they thought the stage had been cancelled or something. They stopped one car and asked. The other driver said: I dunno kiiiid. We're up there all night wrecking lad. Heading back into Killarney now for a cruise.

Absolutely ridiculous. They were actually driving away from the rally. Idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I was out both nights in town and I was surprised how quiet it was, especially the Sunday night. Very little trouble too, could tell a lot of the crowd out were there for the rally but they were just there having a good time, used to be far rougher a few years back.

Pretty much yes. I gave an honest reflection of what is. Illegal activity if it is that then so be it. They spin cars around in circles on a main road burning rubber and petrol. I watch in my standard front wheel drive Almera. Spectator

My own opinion on that though is we weren't in town drinking littering or causing trouble for the guards. ( Ironically though we probably soaked up garda resources from in town and some would have littered out in the country side )

I am a genuine rally enthusiast but at the same time I like to witness the "crack"

P.S to confirm I actually meant I go out to watch the crack. Not actively engage in it as my car quite frankly isn't one to be capable of doing so!

Judging by the comments about thieving in McSorleys, apparently he respects the laws on private property and theft, but not the road traffic stuff!

Judging by the comments about thieving in McSorleys, apparently he respects the laws on private property and theft, but not the road traffic stuff!

Sorry what traffic law have broken??

Care to read the posts again. I am a spectator.

If you see about 50 cars parked together on average 4 cars are actually creating black circles on the road.

The people watching as far as I am aware are not breaking traffic laws??

Secondary to that,if I told you I didn't pay my TV licence instead of watching messing going on for the rally would you edit your post to " He respects the laws you can't steal , yet not the tv licence stuff" ..

Sorry what traffic law have broken??

Care to read the posts again. I am a spectator.

If you see about 50 cars parked together on average 4 cars are actually creating black circles on the road.

The people watching as far as I am aware are not breaking traffic laws??

Secondary to that,if I told you I didn't pay my TV licence instead of watching messing going on for the rally would you edit your post to " He respects the laws you can't steal , yet not the tv licence stuff" ..

Parking on a main road or hard shoulder is illegal. You are breaking traffic laws by parking and watching your fellow idiots.

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    Parking on a main road or hard shoulder is illegal. You are breaking traffic laws by parking and watching your fellow idiots.

To clarify this again.

I am simply stating the way it is viewed by many, not all, and what actually goes on.

I have no doubt that were I to be approached by the Gardai pulled up on the hard shoulder my response would be " Well Guard, the road is blocked by some idiot doing rings on the road and I cannot get passed safely. I shall move on the moment it is clear"

This of course is not in the spirit of the law, but parking up on a hard shoulder with many others, offers some protection in itself.

I also massively appreciate what you are saying, and in all honesty I agree with you on so many points.

I aint some 19 year old either before we get the wrong picture.

To clarify this again.

I am simply stating the way it is viewed by many, not all, and what actually goes on.

I have no doubt that were I to be approached by the Gardai pulled up on the hard shoulder my response would be " Well Guard, the road is blocked by some idiot doing rings on the road and I cannot get passed safely. I shall move on the moment it is clear"

This of course is not in the spirit of the law, but parking up on a hard shoulder with many others, offers some protection in itself.

I also massively appreciate what you are saying, and in all honesty I agree with you on so many points.

I aint some 19 year old either before we get the wrong picture.

Lol.

Not in spirit with the law is a long winded way to say illegal!

Lol.

Not in spirit with the law is a long winded way to say illegal!

So is corporation tax. tax avoidance is not in the spirit of the law, but tax avoidance is not illegal.

Not in the spirit of the law, is not breaking the law. It's being a prick to the law, but is not illegal.

View point of course, that's another topic in itself.

So is corporation tax. tax avoidance is not in the spirit of the law, but tax avoidance is not illegal.

Not in the spirit of the law, is not breaking the law. It's being a prick to the law, but is not illegal.

View point of course, that's another topic in itself.

Has absolutely no bearing on what we're talking about :confused:

Either way. We have almost a year til the boy/man racer idiots come again so silver linings an all that....

Has absolutely no bearing on what we're talking about :confused:

Either way. We have almost a year til the boy/man racer idiots come again so silver linings an all that....

You said not in the spirit of the law is a long way of saying it's illegal.

That statement is not true. It either is illegal or not.

Avoidance of corporation tax is seen as illegal by many and not in the spirit of the law that was set out., however you will find that not int he spirit of the law is legal. Hence the term " spirit"

I was trying to contrast the same viewpoint here, which clearly failed.

I would suggest though that for next year, the attendance of " idiots" will be less.

Genuinely speaking the Guards literally did their job that weekend so well it was the first time I got fed up myself.

Be interesting to see this next year if that comes to pass though.

You said not in the spirit of the law is a long way of saying it's illegal.

That statement is not true. It either is illegal or not.

Avoidance of corporation tax is seen as illegal by many and not in the spirit of the law that was set out., however you will find that not int he spirit of the law is legal. Hence the term " spirit"

I was trying to contrast the same viewpoint here, which clearly failed.

I would suggest though that for next year, the attendance of " idiots" will be less.

Genuinely speaking the Guards literally did their job that weekend so well it was the first time I got fed up myself.

Be interesting to see this next year if that comes to pass though.

While I have you here. This is a genuine question btw.

What good do you see or enjoyment do you get from seeing loud cars going round in circles? Do you realise the disruption and disturbance it causes for locals?

I am not talking about the actual rally drivers with that question.

While I have you here. This is a genuine question btw.

What good do you see or enjoyment do you get from seeing loud cars going round in circles? Do you realise the disruption and disturbance it causes for locals?

I am not talking about the actual rally drivers with that question.

Noise......Smell......Adrenaline.

Much in thew same way a rollercaoster gives that "thrill" , the smell of burning rubber, petrol, pretty much all of that.

I know in the rally it's there, but at the same time being that close and hearing the noise etc constantly does give a buzz.

I don't drink, I don't smoke, and that is my buzz. Autosports etc.

In relation to the Disruption and disturbance I don't have an answer to that.

My suggestion is do what they do at the Donegal rally, open up a yard, and charge money to get in. Then donate that money to the local community to pay for cleaning up of streets, etc etc.
    This works, and Donegal only has the odd few that then head off away from this.

It's an idea that I think could work, charge 2 euro in for spectator, and 5 euro for a car to "spin for 3 or 4 mins. Inner details aren't important.

Diffing, and illegal road actives won't stop totally. That is impossible. So a solution must be found for Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Noise......Smell......Adrenaline.

Much in thew same way a rollercaoster gives that "thrill" , the smell of burning rubber, petrol, pretty much all of that.

I know in the rally it's there, but at the same time being that close and hearing the noise etc constantly does give a buzz.

I don't drink, I don't smoke, and that is my buzz. Autosports etc.

In relation to the Disruption and disturbance I don't have an answer to that.

My suggestion is do what they do at the Donegal rally, open up a yard, and charge money to get in. Then donate that money to the local community to pay for cleaning up of streets, etc etc.
    This works, and Donegal only has the odd few that then head off away from this.

It's an idea that I think could work, charge 2 euro in for spectator, and 5 euro for a car to "spin for 3 or 4 mins. Inner details aren't important.

Diffing, and illegal road actives won't stop totally. That is impossible. So a solution must be found for Killarney.

To be fair to you, my OH is into his auto sports, it's his buzz and like you he doesn't drink but he loves his cars and anything to do with them. I can understand to an extent why ye like it but tbh, the rally does draw a lot of gouriers and I think that's why people get pretty antsy about the whole affair.

Also I must agree with you, if they organisers of the rally knocked their heads together and came up with something like what they do in the Donegal rally then there wouldn't be as much trouble. Not everyone is going to pay a fiver to spin a car or two quid to watch but it would help loads and it's a lot better than having them out on the main Cork road.

If I am honest though, I do think the days of the rally are numbered. It doesn't matter what you do at this stage, the locals aren't one bit happy about it and it's the same every year. I know so many people who just leave town when it comes to Rally weekend. As I said not all the spectators are the problem but there is a percentage coming down to cause havoc and general mayhem.

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    To be fair to you, my OH is into his auto sports, it's his buzz and like you he doesn't drink but he loves his cars and anything to do with them. I can understand to an extent why ye like it but tbh, the rally does draw a lot of gouriers and I think that's why people get pretty antsy about the whole affair.

Also I must agree with you, if they organisers of the rally knocked their heads together and came up with something like what they do in the Donegal rally then there wouldn't be as much trouble. Not everyone is going to pay a fiver to spin a car or two quid to watch but it would help loads and it's a lot better than having them out on the main Cork road.

If I am honest though, I do think the days of the rally are numbered. It doesn't matter what you do at this stage, the locals aren't one bit happy about it and it's the same every year. I know so many people who just leave town when it comes to Rally weekend. As I said not all the spectators are the problem but there is a percentage coming down to cause havoc and general mayhem.

Regarding the yard, and charging. I honestly think that in the first year, you would get a few, and then it would kick off after that as word gets around.

Follow the sheep mentality.

[QUOTE=flexcon; So a solution must be found for Killarney.[/QUOTE]

Simple solution; cancel the rally and let the 'drive in a circle morons' **** off somewhere else instead of disturbing locals with anti-social dangerous behaviour.

• Advertisement

Simple solution; cancel the rally and let the 'drive in a circle morons' **** off somewhere else instead of disturbing locals with anti-social dangerous behaviour.

Is anyone aware of any research or guidance as to what it is worth to the local economy?

Be very interested to know. Again I realise your argument will be the same, and rightly so, about noise pollution etc.

However the local economy might get a bump, even if it is the petrol stations etc.

Is anyone aware of any research or guidance as to what it is worth to the local economy?

Be very interested to know. Again I realise your argument will be the same, and rightly so, about noise pollution etc.

However the local economy might get a bump, even if it is the petrol stations etc.

It's a bank holiday weekend. The local economy would get a boost if nothing was on in town. All the hotels and restaurants are full every bank holiday. The only difference on this weekend is the noise and trouble.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Tom Jones is heading to Killarney next month!! ;)
    http://traleetoday.ie/tom-jones-to-play-inec-this-june/

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Tom Jones is heading to Killarney next month!! ;)
    http://traleetoday.ie/tom-jones-to-play-inec-this-june/

He played a few years back in Fitzgerald Stadium when summetfest was at its peak, and he gave a brilliant performance...the more mature audience loved him and the up and coming generation joined in the atmosphere..
    This gig will be a sell out without doubt.. Glad that all genre of music is catered for in the INEC..
    Killarney has a lot of entertainment lined up over the coming months.. Bikefest, Folkfest, Ring of Kerry cycle/ Munster final weekend.. Killarney Music and Food festival. The list goes on.. Yeah spoilt for choice..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

It's a bank holiday weekend. The local economy would get a boost if nothing was on in town. All the hotels and restaurants are full every bank holiday. The only difference on this weekend is the noise and trouble.

Over the bank holiday I met people from the US, France, Germany and India.
    None of them were here for the rally.

Was talking to someone who works in one of the local hotels that has a very strong Sunday lunch crowd - she was saying that it was their quietest weekend by far.

A friend of mine was telling me his parents were going into the Friary Sunday morning and they saw a bunch of lads who had slept in the back of a van drinking their breakfast.

Basically the rally crowd is regarded as a very poor spending crowd who bring a lot of trouble and bother to the town.

If the rally was cancelled next year, I have no doubt that overall it would be a net benefit to Killarney's economy

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Over the bank holiday I met people from the US, France, Germany and India.
    None of them were here for the rally.

Was talking to someone who works in one of the local hotels that has a very strong Sunday lunch crowd - she was saying that it was their quietest weekend by far.

A friend of mine was telling me his parents were going into the Friary Sunday morning and they saw a bunch of lads who had slept in the back of a van drinking their breakfast.

Basically the rally crowd is regarded as a very poor spending crowd who bring a lot of trouble and bother to the town.

If the rally was cancelled next year, I have no doubt that overall it would be a net benefit to Killarney's economy

I agree but am not too sure that the pub owners would agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

parkerpen wrote: »
    I agree but am not too sure that the pub owners would agree.

Doubt it, more harm than good I'd imagine. The amount of glass broken from thrown pints and fights I've seen in previous years would make any bar owner worry. That and added security is an extra expense for any bar so no lad, I somehow doubt the bars would be fussed if it was cancelled. Plenty other events in the year to make their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It was a lot quieter than I expected it to be, I was out last weekend and it was probably busier.

siblers wrote: »
    It was a lot quieter than I expected it to be, I was out last weekend and it was probably busier.

Exactly, cos the locals (the core business of any pub) avoid town.

So the rally is of no benefit to Killarney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

I think after reading this excerpt from Killarney today online news dated the 4 May.. The car rally is definitely here for another year or 2 .regardless of what the local feel.. It also has the backing of the chamber of tourism and commerce, which I think has taken responsibility of overseen the business interests of the town but not its welfare..

Most importantly, Motorsport Ireland officials and the FIS European rally observers were hugely impressed with Killarney as a venue and with the way the event was so professionally run.
    Killarney’s business community had already stressed the value of the annual Rally of the Lakes to the town with the Chamber of Tourism and Commerce stressing that local businesses benefit enormously.

Advertisement