Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

My Facebook is filled with people entering their competitions.. Plus Kerry Radio and local papers are filled with festival advertising..
    I still don't know where in the Demesne this festival is taking place..
    I think maybe coming nearer the time if ticket sales are not met, prices may drop to cover costs..
    Expensive weekend for those travelling also..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    My Facebook is filled with people entering their competitions.. Plus Kerry Radio and local papers are filled with festival advertising..
    I think maybe coming nearer the time if ticket sales are not met, prices may drop to cover costs..

It's in the field behind Killarney House. Across the road from the East Avenue hotel which is located beside the cinema.

That area of the demense was closed off for a very long time while there was work being done on Killarney House.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Halo Kitty wrote: »

it is expensive when you consider there's no camping included in the price. It would be very unfair on those who paid full price if they do reduce them! I can't imagine they will sell out at any point!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 hmw

Why big marque at muckross house?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

hmw wrote: »
    Why big marque at muckross house?

I think it's to do with the Worldwide Irish Funds \ annual literary award:https://www.radiokerry.ie/news/taoiseach-will-be-in-kerry-for-conference-of-global-charity-foundation/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Was talking to a friend last night and their cousin apparently applied to be a volunteer at the Killarney Music Festival and heard back from them only a few days ago.

Asked my friend to ask their cousin to send me on any information they had and they sent me a copy of the email their cousin got a few days ago, as I thought it might be of interest to some here. I'm not sure if they are still looking for volunteers but probably can't hurt to enquire.

It is one way to see the festival without having to pay out any cash.
    Volunteering is a great opportunity to enjoy the festival without the ticket expense whilst also gaining valuable work experience. We are looking for help in a number of areas and in return for a number of hours we are offering each volunteer a FREE 2 Day Pass (value €142) so you get to enjoy yourselves also!

POSITIONS
    We have a number of volunteer positions available over the two days of the festival which include:
    - Stewarding
    - Exit Points
    - Wristbanding
    - Ticket Scanning
    - Artist Liaison (very limited positions, based on experience)

SHIFTS/HOURS
    You are required to work 2 x 6 ½ hour shifts (total of 13hrs) over the two days; one of these will be a day shift and the other an evening shift. Times and positions for each shift will be confirmed at check in on Friday 26th.

AGE RESTRICTIONS
    Please note that all volunteers must be 21yrs or older (18-20yr olds may be considered depending on experience). Strictly NO under 18’s can be accepted, sorry.

DEPOSIT
    We require a €75 deposit at check in on Friday 26th as we will be giving you a wristband which allows you access to the event. This deposit is fully refundable on completion of your second shift. Please note that cash deposits only are accepted.

ON SITE CHECK IN – FRIDAY 27th JUNE
    ALL Volunteers are required to check in on site on Friday 27th June and to take part in a Health & Safety briefing and site orientation. Time tbc, most likely late afternoon/early evening.
    For this you will need to bring along:
    - Valid Photo ID e.g. Passport, Student ID etc. Volunteers must be 21yrs +
    - Deposit of €75

WHAT TO DO NEXT
    If you are interested in joining our Volunteer Team please reply by return so we can confirm your place. Tell us more about you, we’d love to know who you are, what you are about, what experience you have (or not), have you volunteered before etc.

If you have any friends, or know of anyone, who would like to Volunteer also then by all means please pass on our details and ask them to get in touch!

Should you have any questions at all please don’t hesitate to get in touch, I’m happy to answer and help on any questions you may have.

Again many thanks for getting in touch and we very much hope you will join us at what is planned to be a very exciting Killarney Music Festival next week!

The email address to get in touch with them is hello@killarneyfestival.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Anyone hear a rumour the festival is being moved from Killarney house in the national park to the Racecourse????

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Anyone hear a rumour the festival is being moved from Killarney house in the national park to the Racecourse????

No. Still being advertised on the radio as killarney house.

dobman88 wrote: »
    No. Still being advertised on the radio as killarney house.
    Another BS rumour then. It was said that the Jarvies complained about the impact on their business....

Another BS rumour then. It was said that the Jarvies complained about the impact on their business....

May not be bs. I just haven't heard it.

Jarvies can Gtfo anyway. They complain about anything that doesn't involve fleecing people or the pub.

• Advertisement

May not be bs. I just haven't heard it.

Jarvies can Gtfo anyway. They complain about anything that doesn't involve fleecing people or the pub.

I can't stand em either but if they got the festival moved from the national park I'd be delighted.

I can't stand em either but if they got the festival moved from the national park I'd be delighted.

Agreed. All the fencing it will take to section it off too. And it's very common to see deer in that area all year. Hope the festival doesn't do too much damage over the weekend.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Was talking to a friend last night and their cousin apparently applied to be a volunteer at the Killarney Music Festival and heard back from them only a few days ago.

Asked my friend to ask their cousin to send me on any information they had and they sent me a copy of the email their cousin got a few days ago, as I thought it might be of interest to some here. I'm not sure if they are still looking for volunteers but probably can't hurt to enquire.

It is one way to see the festival without having to pay out any cash.

The email address to get in touch with them is hello@killarneyfestival.com.

Been told I'm off next weekend. Gonna shoot off an email and see if they're still taking people. Wouldn't mind doing 13 hours for a free pass. Not paying to go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

Apparently they offered the racecourse 20,000 to hold the festival, but this was rejected. They are having a problem accessing the national park location with the big trucks etc!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Apparently they offered the racecourse 20,000 to hold the festival, but this was rejected. They are having a problem accessing the national park location with the big trucks etc!

Will tickets even cover the 20 grand?

Will tickets even cover the 20 grand?

Roughly 5,000 tickets have been sold. 20,000 sold in Mayo last year!

How many of them were sold as packages to company's. I know mine was raffling them off a few weeks ago!

I wonder how much if a discount was given?

How many of them were sold as packages to company's. I know mine was raffling them off a few weeks ago!

Friend of mine who works in a pub in Killarney says his boss can't get rid of the comps he was given. Really does sound like a disaster. There's already enough on in Killarney. Bring back summerfest and the concerts in Fitzgerald stadium.

Friend of mine who works in a pub in Killarney says his boss can't get rid of the comps he was given. Really does sound like a disaster. There's already enough on in Killarney. Bring back summerfest and the concerts in Fitzgerald stadium.

The under use of Fitzgerald stadium for concerts is criminal. A few concerts there every summer would pay to have the new stand built!

initially they were giving hospitality staff a small discount (a fiver or so). This week I got an email offering VIP tickets for 50 euro. Desperation!

• Advertisement

Been told I'm off next weekend. Gonna shoot off an email and see if they're still taking people. Wouldn't mind doing 13 hours for a free pass. Not paying to go anyway.

Got accepted for this. They emailed me back this morning. Looking forward to it now.

Got accepted for this. They emailed me back this morning. Looking forward to it now.

By the looks of things, you'll have a handy job with no crowds of note to be worrying about.

By the looks of things, you'll have a handy job with no crowds of note to be worrying about.

Here's hoping :pac:

Tbh, I'm looking forward to seeing Texas and Jason Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

5,000 sold at 75 per head is still 375,000 and that's assuming those 5,000 are all day tickets as opposed to weekend tickets.

I had heard they are paying the OPW 75k (and 5% of ticket sales)

The big question is what are they paying the various acts to perform.

Then there is stuff like the cost of setting up stages, toilets, security and of course insurance.

The only other revenue the festival would have coming in is the fees they charge stand holders (if there is only a very small crowd, those stall holders are going to find it much harder to turn a profit)

It would be interesting to know what the break-even point was in terms of profit.

When I saw the lineup I thought the price of tickets was way too high for the selection of bands. I reckon if they had got for 99 for a weekend ticket and 49 for a one day ticket initially they would have done far better overall, especially given the lineup.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    5,000 sold at 75 per head is still 375,000 and that's assuming those 5,000 are all day tickets as opposed to weekend tickets.

I had heard they are paying the OPW 75k (and 5% of ticket sales)

The big question is what are they paying the various acts to perform.

Then there is stuff like the cost of setting up stages, toilets, security and of course insurance.

The only other revenue the festival would have coming in is the fees they charge stand holders (if there is only a very small crowd, those stall holders are going to find it much harder to turn a profit)

It would be interesting to know what the break-even point was in terms of profit.

When I saw the lineup I thought the price of tickets was way too high for the selection of bands. I reckon if they had got for 99 for a weekend ticket and 49 for a one day ticket initially they would have done far better overall, especially given the lineup.

I agree! While there are some good bands playing, there isn't really anything that would keep me there all day. I really only wanted to see the headline acts, which don't start until 9 or 10pm I think, and it would be a really long day waiting around for them to start, if I didn't want to see other bands.
    I hope someone from the organisers read these comments! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

any tag rugby clubs in town?

You can sneak us all in so!

Just heard on radio kerry news that they're looking for a smaller venue. The original plans had 36,000 people expected and they said UNDER 5,000 tickets have been sold. NPWS apparently don't want it with such low numbers, understandably. Disaster.

• Advertisement

You can sneak us all in so!

The way it's being reported you may as well just rock up on the day and they'll let you in.

Advertisement