Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Mess up from start to finish and very unfair as it damages Killarney even though it was external promoters who were involved.
    People who have tickets bought,accommodation and travel paid for will not be impressed.
    Really if it was to be cancelled it should have been done weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Well done to the Killarney Chamber of Greed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Just got this email from the person in charge of the volunteers.

Killarney Festival of Music & Food - CANCELLED

Dear Volunteers,

It is with great regret that I inform you that this weekend’s Killarney Festival of Music & Food has been cancelled.

We thank you for your interest and support in wishing to volunteer with us however on this occasion it is not to be.

Statement from Organisers
    Wednesday, 24 June 2015: The organisers of the Killarney Festival of Music & Food regretfully announce that the festival will not go ahead this weekend at Killarney Racecourse due to unforeseen circumstances beyond their control.
    A spokeswomen for the festival said “We are devastated that the festival has been cancelled – we did everything in our power to make it happen this weekend.”
    “We would like to extend our sincere apologies to all the festival goers who were planning to attend the event in Killarney and we would like to thank all the local businesses and statutory agencies for their help and support.”
    The promoters are currently in discussions with some of the acts, about performing, in an alternative indoor venue in Killarney over the weekend and hope to make an announcement as soon possible.

For further information visit the Killarney Festival of Music & Food facebook page http://on.fb.me/1IeoAVj

Warm regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

You'd think they'd have learnt from the SummerFests of past that unless they bring top artists, and match the likes of Electric Picnic/Glastonbury/Leeds etc that people won't buy into it. Now I must say there are some decent bands in the lineup but you'd think they'd have pushed for bigger names. Can't blame them for trying but at the end of the day it's greed. It's one event after another in this town every week now!

madcabbage wrote: »
    You'd think they'd have learnt from the SummerFests of past that unless they bring top artists, and match the likes of Electric Picnic/Glastonbury/Leeds etc that people won't buy into it. Now I must say there are some decent bands in the lineup but you'd think they'd have pushed for bigger names. Can't blame them for trying but at the end of the day it's greed. It's one event after another in this town every week now!

Tbf, the lineup is full of top artists. Not my cup of tea but I have heard of all the main stage artists and most of the others.

But like you said. Events on all the time. Sure next weekend is the 4th of July party, the ring cycle and the Munster final. Locals are more interested in that weekend imo.

Bike fest and the rally just gone. Along with beerfest. And whatever else the likes of the gleneagle will put on over the rest of the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Well done to the Killarney Chamber of Greed

How is it their fault? Presuming you mean the Chamber of Commerce?

Well I hope it doesn't affect the good rep of Killarney. Disgraceful that's it's been cancelled days before it's meant to take place!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Someone just texted me a link to this site - they said they found it on Twitter

http://killarneyfest.com/

Someone's really really not a fan of the organisers. :eek:

One positive - found where the proposed site for the festival was

http://killarneyfest.com/wp-content/uploads/Jarash-Limited-Killarney-Festival-Draft-Planning-Application-Map-1024x724.png

You'd have to wonder about anyone willing to do business with the organisers given the stuff about the court judgments and the fact that they haven't filed up-to-date financial records.

http://killarneyfest.com/#latestnews

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Supposedly 4 large trucks turned up last Friday full of equipment to try to get into the Demesne but couldn't because they were too big.

Sounds like amateur hour organisation.

Also I heard that serious pressure was put on the Racecourse to step in and rescue things and that some of the board weren't a bit pleased.

I have sympathy for the smaller stand-holders and smaller artists as they are all likely to be out a serious chunk of change as well as those who bought tickets ( I wouldnt be surprised if there ended up being no money for refunds)

I heard they were refused in as the bond hadn't been paid!

Just had a look on twitter and noticed all the "Killarney Festival" tweets are located in County Meath. Huge lol.

• Advertisement

That map layout would have suggested that it would have been the area surrounding Knockreer and not Killarney House from what I can make of it. Crazy layout from the looks of it.

Radio5 wrote: »
    How is it their fault? Presuming you mean the Chamber of Commerce?

Getting into bed with cowboy promoters for this pathetic festival and thereby damaging the reputation of Killarney.

The chamber are very involved in this festival

Someone just texted me a link to this site - they said they found it on Twitter

http://killarneyfest.com/

Someone's really really not a fan of the organisers. :eek:

One positive - found where the proposed site for the festival was

http://killarneyfest.com/wp-content/uploads/Jarash-Limited-Killarney-Festival-Draft-Planning-Application-Map-1024x724.png

You'd have to wonder about anyone willing to do business with the organisers given the stuff about the court judgments and the fact that they haven't filed up-to-date financial records.

http://killarneyfest.com/#latestnews

Wow, but great reading

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I heard they were refused in as the bond hadn't been paid!

That makes more sense.

Seems to have a very liberal attitude to paying his bills according to that website.

The fact that the company behind the Westport festival lost almost 350k when he had an interest-free loan of more than €200k should have meant that he should have been told to take a running jump when he turned up in Killarney. Whoever was representing Killarney in the whole thing look to have been seriously incompetent in terms of doing their homework.

http://killarneyfest.com/darryl-downey-an-overview/

Wow, but great reading

Yeah - shame it didnt get more publicity earlier. Might have saved a lot of folks a lot of time and money.

Apparently they're in talks with some bands tom perform in an indoor venue this weekend. I suppose that would prevent any refunds?

Whoever was representing Killarney in the whole thing look to have been seriously incompetent in terms of doing their homework.

http://killarneyfest.com/darryl-downey-an-overview/

That would have been the Chamber of Commerce/Greed my good man.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Apparently they're in talks with some bands tom perform in an indoor venue this weekend. I suppose that would prevent any refunds?

Wouldnt surprise me if they tried to pull some sort of fast one - have a few of the lower profile acts perform in a pub somewhere and use some sort of terms and conditions type switcheroo to say they didn't have to give refunds.

That would have been the Chamber of Commerce/Greed my good man.

Reflects very badly on them if this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Embarrassing for Killarney, all of this.

• Advertisement

Something tells me the Glen are smiling right now. Seriously though it's a hard lesson learned by whoever is involved in this from the towns perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Steve Wall, the lead singer of the Stunning, is not one bit happy! He's giving out on twitter, and kinda blaming Kerry for not supporting it! https://twitter.com/stevethewall/with_replies

Anybody get any screenshots of the tweets, he's after deleting the ones attacking Kerry.

On a brighter note. Den joes reopened at 8.30 tonight. One portion of potato bites please.

Anybody get any screenshots of the tweets, he's after deleting the ones attacking Kerry.

They're still showing up for me anyway. I've been talking to him for a while and he hasn't deleted anything. Just very disappointed.

On a brighter note. Den joes reopened at 8.30 tonight. One portion of potato bites please.

Jesus it's had to imagine it's been closed all this time. The 'boys' will be parking up outside the door for the the daily grub again so! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 86,505 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kerry's own Garthgate :p

madcabbage wrote: »
    Jesus it's had to imagine it's been closed all this time. The 'boys' will be parking up outside the door for the the daily grub again so! :rolleyes:

Place was packed at opening time apparently. Few pics popping up on my Facebook feed. Looking well.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,505 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Why was it closed for so long?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Why was it closed for so long?

Fire.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I'm surprised at his attitude to Kerry not supporting it, as I've met him a few times and he's a really sound guy. I think he's just pretty annoyed at the whole thing and I guess just hitting out. He did sort of say as much in following tweets.

Advertisement