Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

dobman88 wrote: »
    Just got this email from the person in charge of the volunteers.

Killarney Festival of Music & Food - CANCELLED

Dear Volunteers,

It is with great regret that I inform you that this weekend’s Killarney Festival of Music & Food has been cancelled.

We thank you for your interest and support in wishing to volunteer with us however on this occasion it is not to be.

Statement from Organisers
    Wednesday, 24 June 2015: The organisers of the Killarney Festival of Music & Food regretfully announce that the festival will not go ahead this weekend at Killarney Racecourse due to unforeseen circumstances beyond their control.
    A spokeswomen for the festival said “We are devastated that the festival has been cancelled – we did everything in our power to make it happen this weekend.”
    “We would like to extend our sincere apologies to all the festival goers who were planning to attend the event in Killarney and we would like to thank all the local businesses and statutory agencies for their help and support.”
    The promoters are currently in discussions with some of the acts, about performing, in an alternative indoor venue in Killarney over the weekend and hope to make an announcement as soon possible.

For further information visit the Killarney Festival of Music & Food facebook page http://on.fb.me/1IeoAVj

Warm regards,

that is terrible, wonder what stopped this happening, after all the hard work organising, the people who wanted to come and show their ware must be terribly disappointed, they could be somewhere but at last minuit like this they cannot organise something else to do.
    it is like the concert last year the five night thing that had to be cancelled, will not do good for the good name Killarney people worked so hard for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

goat2 wrote: »
    that is terrible, wonder what stopped this happening, after all the hard work organising, the people who wanted to come and show their ware must be terribly disappointed, they could be somewhere but at last minuit like this they cannot organise something else to do.
    it is like the concert last year the five night thing that had to be cancelled, will not do good for the good name Killarney people worked so hard for

What stopped it happening was that they didn't sell enough tickets.

A weekend ticket for the long-established Electric Picnic (a three day) festival was available for a tenner more.

If that's not evidence that the tickets were over-priced I don't know what is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Boom__Boom wrote: »

A weekend ticket for the long-established Electric Picnic (a three day) festival was available for a tenner more.

and Electric Picnic INCLUDES camping....!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Tom Randles on Twitter suggesting that hotels should refund/waive any fees so people aren't forced to pay for a hotel room. Nice to see that happening from someone with a lot of influence in local hospitality.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Going by ticketmaster a weekend ticket for electric picnic is €230 vs €142 for killarney fest, although i'd agree that it was overpriced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Going by ticketmaster a weekend ticket for electric picnic is €230 vs €142 for killarney fest, although i'd agree that it was overpriced.

Earlybird tickets for EP were going for about 180, they have discount schemes if you have been there before where you could get a ticket for around 160.

Even with the overpirced tickets, the marketing campaign was pretty weak, their Facebook page would get very likes or comments anytime they made a new post, needed to be advertised on national radio and tv and should have had a much stronger presence in Killarney in the months building up to it, crazy how it was so badly handled.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

siblers wrote: »
    Earlybird tickets for EP were going for about 180, plus it's 3 days of music and camping.

and its sold out! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

These fellas are absolute cowboys. I knew I saw something recently about local / up and coming acts http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/criticism-sees-killarneyfestival-stage-scrapped-310775.html

You could get early bird weekend camping ticket to Electric Picnic for €154.50 up until the middle of April sometime. You did have to prove you had been 3 times of more. If you had been once or twice it was €174.50 and if you had never been it was €194.50. Those were for 3 day weekend camping tickets.

This report here suggests that less than 3000 tickets were sold. With ticket sales that low, there's no doubt that the tickets were priced too high for the lineup.

http://www.killarneytoday.com/festival-over-before-it-begins/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Someone has a bee in their bonnet..

http://killarneyfest.com/

• Advertisement

Good news is that refunds look like they will be available for the ordinary punters.

Also Iarnrod Eireann are offering refunds to any customers who had booked travel tickets and some hotels are offering refunds to people who have booked accommodation.

The promoters refused to talk Radio Kerry or RTE which I think says a lot about them.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/killarney-festival-tickets-to-be-refunded-after-event-cancelled-1.2262567

• Registered Users Posts: 16,280 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Earlybird tickets for EP were going for about 180, they have discount schemes if you have been there before where you could get a ticket for around 160.

Even with the overpirced tickets, the marketing campaign was pretty weak, their Facebook page would get very likes or comments anytime they made a new post, needed to be advertised on national radio and tv and should have had a much stronger presence in Killarney in the months building up to it, crazy how it was so badly handled.

I only heard about this festival only after it was cancelled! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭i 15

Not Killarney but at least Kerry is getting 1 guaranteed festival this year!!

Check out http://www.valentiaislefestival.com

Great line ups, all sorts of tents and activities, will have the McGregor fight on massive screens.
    Plus its only €89 for Fri, Sat & Sun incl camping or €50 for 1 day.

I feel sorry for all the people out there that had spent money on accomadation etc but Duran Duran or a sweet Island off the coast????

I know where I was heading regardless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

On a positive note Den Joes has re-opened!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Killarney was wrong location for such a festival and the date was wrong.

1 - population not big enough for such a fetsival.

2 - Tourists come to killarney for so many other things

3 - tons of stuff already on this weekend

and finally and probably most importantly 4 - wrong date, many primary schools are on til Tuesday, so "holiday" season for the thirty & forty somethings (who would have been primary target of the lineup) doesn't start til next week.

The population doesn't matter, people will come if the line up is good and the pricing is correct etc. The problem was in the pricing, the marketing and the actual line up..too much going on and too much diversity in the line up, tried to cater to too many audiences. They had some great Irish bands there but a lot of people who are into Delorentos or Walking On Cars would have little interest in the majority of bands there so weren't gonna pay 75euros to see one or two bands. The same can be said for people into Duran Duran or Texas.

The population doesn't matter, people will come if the line up is good and the pricing is correct etc. The problem was in the pricing, the marketing and the actual line up..too much going on and too much diversity in the line up, tried to cater to too many audiences. They had some great Irish bands there but a lot of people who are into Delorentos or Walking On Cars would have little interest in the majority of bands there so weren't gonna pay 75euros to see one or two bands. The same can be said for people into Duran Duran or Texas.

This.

I only wanted to see Texas and Jason Byrne. Had no intention of stumping up €75 for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

You couldn't pay me 75e to listen to Jason Byrne

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    and Electric Picnic INCLUDES camping....!

thats where the problem was

camping

So has anyone been in to Den Joes? Two thumbs up from me and my OH anyway. Nice to see the homemade chips in. Been fairly mental since opening.

I don't eat Take Aways but I really hope potato bites are still on the menu

I don't eat Take Aways but I really hope potato bites are still on the menu

Hell yes they are :pac: I went in tonight just for a portion :)

So will you be making an exception to eat a take away for the potato bites?

Haha, yeah definitley, probably after a night of boozing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

Anyone here go to the INEC last weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Anyone here go to the INEC last weekend?

I went down on the Sunday night. Caught most of the comedy (Left towards the end of Jason Byrne because herself wanted to see Mundy). Numbers were not great, but there was a few there all right.

• Advertisement

oeb wrote: »
    I went down on the Sunday night. Caught most of the comedy (Left towards the end of Jason Byrne because herself wanted to see Mundy). Numbers were not great, but there was a few there all right.

The fact that is was arranged on such short notice probably affected numbers considerably.

At least some good comes out of the whole mess with the charities benefiting.

Everyone looking forward to the weekend - town should be fairly hopping with the Munster final and the Ring of Kerry cycle and the 3rd of July celebration.

Advertisement