Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

No worries, feel free to ask if there is anything else you'd like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Hi all,

Where is the safest (and free-ist :) ) place to park in Killarney over the weekend. I'm heading to an event in the town for two nights and the place I'm staying doesn't have a car park. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

oakshade wrote: »
    Hi all,

Where is the safest (and free-ist :) ) place to park in Killarney over the weekend. I'm heading to an event in the town for two nights and the place I'm staying doesn't have a car park. Thank you.

Railway Station, €4 per day

newman10 wrote: »
    Railway Station, €4 per day

Perfect – sounds like a plan.

Just to clarify and apologies if this is a stupid question but is the train station car park the one on the Cork side of the outlet center/bus station or do you go into it via the town side of the outlet center, by the Malton hotel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

by the malton hotel :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

You go in by the Malton, the carpark on the other side near the bus station is for the Killarney outlet centre and is charged by the hour.

You can park near the door if its available or else down a few hundred metres in the overflow carpark. Use parkbytext.ie to park for €3 for 24 hours.

361032.jpg

Thank you both

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Brois

Hi,

Recently saw the Killarney 10k race for a Micro Track in the Sem. Would be a fantastic facility for the town if it gets going. I was away so didn't take part in the 10k. Does anyone know if the field in the middle is planned to be a "grass type" astroturf pitch or one of the smooth astros?

Reason I am asking is; there currently are no field hockey clubs in Killarney.
    1) Is there any hockey type astroturf pitch in town? (The smooth type?)
    2) Would people think there would be enough demand to be able to field a hockey team? (Ladies to start with, but would be great to have a men's side too)

I know some people in Killorglin have recently started some 5 a side comps so I might talk to them too.

Thanks! :)

There's an astro pitch in Fossa and Killarney Celtic have 2 further astro pitches. I'm sure you would get the numbers if word got out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

siblers wrote: »
    There's an astro pitch in Fossa and Killarney Celtic have 2 further astro pitches. I'm sure you would get the numbers if word got out.

Neither are suitable for hockey. They have the small black pellets on them. A hockey field would need to be smooth.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies siblers and dobman, I'm afraid dobman is correct. It must be a smooth hockey type astroturf pitch. It can't be one of the soccer/artificial grass types with the pellets etc.
    Oh well, the search continues!....

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Brois wrote: »
    Hi,

Recently saw the Killarney 10k race for a Micro Track in the Sem. Would be a fantastic facility for the town if it gets going. I was away so didn't take part in the 10k. Does anyone know if the field in the middle is planned to be a "grass type" astroturf pitch or one of the smooth astros?

Reason I am asking is; there currently are no field hockey clubs in Killarney.
    1) Is there any hockey type astroturf pitch in town? (The smooth type?)
    2) Would people think there would be enough demand to be able to field a hockey team? (Ladies to start with, but would be great to have a men's side too)

I know some people in Killorglin have recently started some 5 a side comps so I might talk to them too.

Thanks! :)

Sean Coffee the principal of the Sem is very approachable - I'd say ring the school and ask him what type of astro is planned - it might even be possible to influence matter so that the surface suitable for hockey is chosen - (at a minimum it would mean that there would be the possibility of the P.E. classes in the Sem including hockey, which could be very useful further down the line)

On the demand for a hockey team in Killarney I have no idea - I have a vague notion of my sister saying they did some hockey in P.E. in the pres but that was a good few years back now - I don't know if they still do it. Very hard to judge - maybe start a Facebook Page with something like Possible Hockey Club for Killarney and maybe put a notice in the Advertiser/Outlook asking people who might be interested to get in touch. Maybe get in touch with the Irish Hockey Association and ask them if they have any advice/tips or even any previous enquiries about setting up a team from anyone in Killarney?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Sean Coffee the principal of the Sem is very approachable - I'd say ring the school and ask him what type of astro is planned - it might even be possible to influence matter so that the surface suitable for hockey is chosen - (at a minimum it would mean that there would be the possibility of the P.E. classes in the Sem including hockey, which could be very useful further down the line)

On the demand for a hockey team in Killarney I have no idea - I have a vague notion of my sister saying they did some hockey in P.E. in the pres but that was a good few years back now - I don't know if they still do it. Very hard to judge - maybe start a Facebook Page with something like Possible Hockey Club for Killarney and maybe put a notice in the Advertiser/Outlook asking people who might be interested to get in touch. Maybe get in touch with the Irish Hockey Association and ask them if they have any advice/tips or even any previous enquiries about setting up a team from anyone in Killarney?

Hockey in the Sem? I'd say there's a better chance they'll take up synchronised swimming.

Installing one of those old smooth surfaces would reduce the attractiveness to people looking to rent it for 5 a side soccer, which is what the vast majority will rent it for.

The modern artificial pitches, like the one at Celtic, gives a much more realistic bounce of the ball and allow you to ply with moulded studs. They are also much less harsh on the ankle and knee joints than the old "smooth" types.

BPKS wrote: »
    Hockey in the Sem? I'd say there's a better chance they'll take up synchronised swimming.

Installing one of those old smooth surfaces would reduce the attractiveness to people looking to rent it for 5 a side soccer, which is what the vast majority will rent it for.

The modern artificial pitches, like the one at Celtic, gives a much more realistic bounce of the ball and allow you to ply with moulded studs. They are also much less harsh on the ankle and knee joints than the old "smooth" types.

I would never have thought there would be soccer in the Sem during my time there, but the Sem have won a couple of national titles in recent years. I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility.

Yep, absolutely, thought as much! The newer grass like surfaces are all the go nowadays as they are more affordable than before.
    Will keep searching see if theres a 'smooth' one around the place!
    Thanks

Brois wrote: »
    Yep, absolutely, thought as much! The newer grass like surfaces are all the go nowadays as they are more affordable than before.
    Will keep searching see if theres a 'smooth' one around the place!
    Thanks

What about indoor. I remember something a couple of years ago in the Aura. Not sure if it still goes on or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Howr the roads in/around the town?

Howr the roads in/around the town?

Grand in town. Bit of water at the sides coming in park road but fine in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

We're grand unlike out of town! Was coming home over the county bounds earlier and it was end of the world type of rain out there! Never seen so much surface water.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

madcabbage wrote: »
    We're grand unlike out of town! Was coming home over the county bounds earlier and it was end of the world type of rain out there! Never seen so much surface water.

Anyone see the car that crashed on mission road today? seems like it aquaplaned off the road hit the wall.

• Advertisement

Anyone see the car that crashed on mission road today? seems like it aquaplaned off the road hit the wall.

One down by white bridge too. Not surprising given the amount of idiots you see on a daily basis driving round town.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

There was a car overturned on the Tralee road yesterday at 6.30 pm, a few miles outside of Killarney town - it looked bad , front of car was flattened and someone lying face down beside it. Gardai were directing traffic and the ambulance and rescue services were heading toward the accident scene as I arrived into town. I heard no reports on the news - which might be a good sign as it may mean that there were no fatalities. TG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

When exactly is TK Maxx's opening?

Radio5 wrote: »

Thursday week. The 8th of October.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Thursday week. The 8th of October.

Radio Kerry are broadcasting from there on the day and I think there are giveaways.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

Radio5 wrote:

October the 8th as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Radio5 wrote: »

Please don't say TK Maxx's.:) It's just TK Maxx (same as Tesco is not Tescos despite how many pronounce it!!) :P:P

Where can you get a phone screen repaired in Killarney? I'd appreciate a link to a facebook page or website if possible just to get a price.

siblers wrote: »
    Where can you get a phone screen repaired in Killarney? I'd appreciate a link to a facebook page or website if possible just to get a price.

Guy just inside the main entrance of the Inisfallen to the right. €50.

• Advertisement

Nice one, thanks.

Advertisement