Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

It is top quality indeed. Excellent value, and business has really taken off since opening.

That's good to hear. It uplifts Killarney's profile in the culinary league ( not quite sure if there is such a thing?). There is there, the best fish-and-chip shop. and ice-cream shop and now this delight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Killarney House and gardens to reopen in April

The restored ornamental gardens at Killarney House beside the town centre are to open to the public on Sunday, April 3rd, on a weekend-only basis for April and May.
    The full re-opening of the gardens, which are predicted to become the 'Saint Stephen's Green' of the tourist town, has been delayed because of the effect of the wet weather on the planting programme.
    "The Ornamental Gardens will be accessible from Sunday 3rd April 2016, with limited opening hours at weekends during April and May," a press spokesman at the Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht Department said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Are there any good mountain walks around Muckross or anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Are there any good mountain walks around Muckross or anywhere?

Torc mountain. Take the directions for the waterfall. When you get to the waterfall, walk to the top of the steps. Youll see a carpark to the left. Walk up past that and stay on that trail, it will take you to the path up the mountain. 2 hours from start to finish should do it.

Alternatively. You've got Mangerton mountain on the other side. There's a sharp left turn directly after the Muckross Park Hotel. Mangerton is sign posted here. Drive up that road for about a mile. You'll go round a right hand bend and the turn off for the mountain is on the right. You'll miss it if goin too fast.

Mangerton is up that road and it's one trail up the mountain, one trail down. About 3 hours start to finish would do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

Myself and 3 siblings heading to Killarney this weekend, got some good recommendations for pubs n grub here, and the usual scenic touristy stuff but can anyone recommend something fun to do Saturday afternoon? Age range late 20's to early 40's..
    Thanks MM

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

Munstermad wrote:
    Myself and 3 siblings heading to Killarney this weekend, got some good recommendations for pubs n grub here, and the usual scenic touristy stuff but can anyone recommend something fun to do Saturday afternoon? Age range late 20's to early 40's.. Thanks MM

Watch the rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

Watch the rugby

Oh we will be!!! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Watch the rugby

He said something fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

Munstermad wrote: »
    Myself and 3 siblings heading to Killarney this weekend, got some good recommendations for pubs n grub here, and the usual scenic touristy stuff but can anyone recommend something fun to do Saturday afternoon? Age range late 20's to early 40's..
    Thanks MM

Head out to Ladies View. Stop at Muckross House and Torc Waterfall etc along the way. Nice way to kill a couple of hours if the weather is dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

http://killarneyhighropes.com/

They do paintball and high ropes if ye want to do something with a bit of physical excursion

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Guys anyone able to tell me what Cellar One in the Ross is like for a couple looking for dinner and then La Rambla for a group of 10-15, thanks

Green&Red wrote: »
    Guys anyone able to tell me what Cellar One in the Ross is like for a couple looking for dinner and then La Rambla for a group of 10-15, thanks

Can do better than Cellar One if you're looking for higher end dining. Would go to the Malton myself and the Kube after for cocktails. I've never had an experience like the Malton before or since. It's unbelievable. The Kube is just across the street then.

La Rambla is good for groups. Loads and loads of little dishes that you take bits of and try everything.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Can do better than Cellar One if you're looking for higher end dining. Would go to the Malton myself and the Kube after for cocktails. I've never had an experience like the Malton before or since. It's unbelievable. The Kube is just across the street then.

La Rambla is good for groups. Loads and loads of little dishes that you take bits of and try everything.

Malton is gone to wreck since Mr Hennigan left.

Not that many really good restaurants around Killarney despite its popularity - some are passable. The Flesk is very good, but I think that it's closed for the off season - opening later in March? I like the Europe Hotel - it's top class. Khao is good also.

Malton is gone to wreck since Mr Hennigan left.

I haven't been since he left but I could understand that happening alright. He's some.operator

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭jackreacher

anyone know the story with the coral centre?

big truck with gleasure roofing is the sole owner of these roofs in the car park when you drive in?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Some very sad news coming out of Killarney tonight. Just heard on RTE news that a baby boy was found dead in an apartment in Park Place & a man in his 30's has been brought to Kerry General hospital with injuries. No more info than that at the moment. Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Some very sad news coming out of Killarney tonight. Just heard on RTE news that a baby boy was found dead in an apartment in Park Place & a man in his 30's has been brought to Kerry General hospital with injuries. No more info than that at the moment. Very sad.

You serious!!!!!! That's so sad :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah was just getting a taxi home from town (Killarney) there and the taxi driver was telling me about it. Very sad. Wonder what happened. Just awful anyway no matter what..

Poor little child R.I.P. His mother must be heartbroken - I hope that she has plenty of support to help her get through this terrible time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

RIP to the poor might and our thoughts are with his mother.

MOD EDIT:
    Please DO NOT speculate as to what the circumstances to this may or may not be. This is a Garda investigation. Do not comment on the incident again, other than to post condolences.
    MOD

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Kerry County Council is looking at plans to pedestrianise parts of Killarney town centre by night.

The proposal was put before the council by Killarney councilor Michael Gleeson, who suggests such a move would greatly enhance the visitor experience, especially in the summer.
    He wants the council to begin by pedestrianising Plunkett Street and Main Street, from 6pm onwards.
    The idea is currently being examined by the local authority, as part of the Killarney Traffic Management Study.
    Cllr Gleeson believes Killarney could emulate the atmosphere of Grafton Street in Dublin:

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/plans-considered-to-pedestrianise-parts-of-killarney-by-night/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Didn't they pedestrianise Plunkett street before? Don't really see the problem with it. Don't really see the need either however! I'm sure the businesses on those streets will give out.

That pedestrianisation idea is unworkable. You can't have a street pedestrianised part of the time. It's either all or nothing. Not really a very smart proposal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

That pedestrianisation idea is unworkable. You can't have a street pedestrianised part of the time. It's either all or nothing. Not really a very smart proposal at all.

I think it would be worth looking into on a trail basis at least.. This idea was proposed years ago but fell through..
    I feel Plunkett Street should be free from traffic (possibly after 7pm) and therefore allowing for musicians and artists / street traders a space to entertain the public. .(think summerfest ) a few years back,
    Worth a trail period.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

I am afraid I'd have to agree with the poster above you. It should be one or the other. The town in which I grew up in originally had the same idea and went ahead with it but it was an absolute disaster. They did try to implement it properly but it caused too much grief and locals who drove weren't adhering to it.

It's a nice idea but that's all it is. In reality I can't see it working.

marno21 wrote: »
    Kerry County Council is looking at plans to pedestrianise parts of Killarney town centre by night.

The proposal was put before the council by Killarney councilor Michael Gleeson, who suggests such a move would greatly enhance the visitor experience, especially in the summer.
    He wants the council to begin by pedestrianising Plunkett Street and Main Street, from 6pm onwards.
    The idea is currently being examined by the local authority, as part of the Killarney Traffic Management Study.
    Cllr Gleeson believes Killarney could emulate the atmosphere of Grafton Street in Dublin:

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/plans-considered-to-pedestrianise-parts-of-killarney-by-night/

Can't work because the Danny Man's car park is off Main Street beside Macs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Anyone know of any gyms around town that are open late? Like to 11? Myself and OH are looking to join a gym but we're both working odd hours and aren't finished until late in the evening (about nine).

Advertisement