Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

monkeynuz wrote: »
    In what way?

For a start you are judging shops you claim you have never been in! Each to their own, but you can't judge a book by its cover & all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    For a start you are judging shops you claim you have never been in! Each to their own, but you can't judge a book by its cover & all that!

I have never been in IKEA or a pound shop, I was referring to the original post by someone else stating it is an IKEA style pound shop. So in that are no I wouldn't go somewhere like that on principle as I believe they are godforsaken places that should never darken any high street. If people can't afford to save for an item then that's up to them but in my opinion those shops just sell crap, and I don't think they're a very good advertisement for a town, I have often read reviews of towns where they are spoken of in a derogatory way because of the presence of pound shops, I personally was in a town a few years ago that had at least three cash for gold shops, I wouldn't go there again as it gave the same impression.

killarney would be a much better place if it actually had some pride in itself and improved the quality of the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

monkeynuz wrote: »
    killarney would be a much better place if it actually had some pride in itself and improved the quality of the shops.

Very interesting concept, are you comparing Killarney to Kenmare where everything is expensive and bordering pretensious.

It takes a wide retail base for any town to attract customer not just "high end shops" which you seem to want. Towns need the mix of shops and customers to survive. The Town has Pride in itself and this can be seem in the cleanliness and vibrancy about the Town.
    While the Town Centre and Town itself lacks in a choice of Shops, those that are trading are doing a good job fulfilling the needs of their customers.
    The fact that Tiger have decided to expand the Retail Base of the Town is welcome. Consider it more like Top Shop for the home.

newman10 wrote: »
    Very interesting concept, are you comparing Killarney to Kenmare where everything is expensive and bordering pretensious.

It takes a wide retail base for any town to attract customer not just "high end shops" which you seem to want. Towns need the mix of shops and customers to survive. The Town has Pride in itself and this can be seem in the cleanliness and vibrancy about the Town.
    While the Town Centre and Town itself lacks in a choice of Shops, those that are trading are doing a good job fulfilling the needs of their customers.
    The fact that Tiger have decided to expand the Retail Base of the Town is welcome. Consider it more like Top Shop for the home.

Good grief no, I wouldn't want anywhere to be like Kenmare, full of overpriced Chinese tat!

There are no shops worth visiting in Kenmare either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Well, what kind of shops do you want in Killarney then? :confused:

Look, I do agree that there's enough pound/euro shops around the place without bringing anymore in BUT at the same time, it doesn't bother me if it's going to create employment. And besides, I don't know why you're turning your nose up at these kind of shops. I am not on the bread line but still I'll head into the like of Deals or Mr. Price to buy brand name cleaning products or washing detergents for fraction of what it'll cost me above in Tescos or Supervalu. Yeah sure, they do sell an awful amount of tat and rubbish but they do some great bargains on brand name products that you'll use everyday.

I'm not being smart when I say this but if it's the likes of Debenhams you're after then just hop in the car or jump on the bus/train and head back to Tralee. To me, Killarney is all about the hotels/restaurants/pubs. If you want shops, head back to Tralee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I like Tiger. I often go to the one in Cork. Lots of the stuff in there is very unique and cannot be found in other discount shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Serious incident in Ardshan. Garda blocking the entrance and forensic and detectives in the estate with an ambulance. Avoid park road area if possible. Big delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

dobman88 wrote: »
    Serious incident in Ardshan. Garda blocking the entrance and forensic and detectives in the estate with an ambulance. Avoid park road area if possible. Big delays.

Saw 2 Garda cars go in there about an hour and half ago, there was a Garda motorbike already there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

According to the Kerryman newspaper (from their FB page) its a domestic incident, which involves a hostage situation! I hope it gets resolved soon.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've no idea what that bag was earlier if it wasn't a body bag.

Mods can delete above comment if they like.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yeah I've no idea what that bag was earlier if it wasn't a body bag.

Mods can delete above comment if they like.

We don't know what's happened yet, so just to be on the safe side I've deleted it. Don't worry about it though.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    We don't know what's happened yet, so just to be on the safe side I've deleted it. Don't worry about it though.

Agreed. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

It's been resolved peacefully, that's the main thing here folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Anyone know of a room for rent in the Killarney area? They seem fairly thin on the ground this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Anyone know of a room for rent in the Killarney area? They seem fairly thin on the ground this year.

Have you tried the Advertiser and Outlook - rooms/houses sometimes show up there that aren't advertised elsewhere.

https://www.killarneyadvertiser.ie/

http://killarneyoutlook.com/

There was only a little corner of rooms for rent in the advertiser this week. There was a time there would be almost two pages.

Only 3 rooms up on daft. One on park road for €70 which would be a 5 min walk to town centre. Can't remember where the other two are but they were cheaper than €70

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Was thinking of heading to Killarney Sunday but someone said theres a rally on? Be coming from Cork-will there be delays driving? Impossible to find parking in the town etc

seefin wrote: »
    Was thinking of heading to Killarney Sunday but someone said theres a rally on? Be coming from Cork-will there be delays driving? Impossible to find parking in the town etc

Oh Jesus avoid it this weekend. Pick any other weekend of the year. If I wasn't working I'd leave myself for the weekend. Absolute nightmare. Especially coming in from the Cork side

dobman88 wrote:
    Oh Jesus avoid it this weekend. Pick any other weekend of the year. If I wasn't working I'd leave myself for the weekend. Absolute nightmare. Especially coming in from the Cork side

Sound. Was thinking that but telling myself couldn't be that bad! Will leave till another time..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

Was just reading an article their about a partially blind woman that wants to compete in the Killarney marathon. Scot her to participate she needs her guide with her whom the powers that be feel obliged to charge full whack (45euro) even tho they have stated that he does not want finishers medal or t shirt or any other paraphernalia associated with event. Killarney of the welcomes how are you ! Or am I reading this wrong ?

seefin wrote:

My mother went into hospital in Tralee so will have to visit her a few days over weekend. Would traffic from cork to killarney be demented every day? Afternoon better than morning or bad all the time. Of all weekends for her to be kept in !

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

From Cork, go to Mallow and at the roundabout go west on the N72 in the direction of Killarney, after 20 mins or so you will see a sign for Ballydesmond/Boherbue (R577), take this turn and keep on this road until you get to Castleisland, then follow the directions to Tralee.

Much faster, and no Macroom/Killarney etc.

marno21 wrote:
    From Cork, go to Mallow and at the roundabout go west on the N72 in the direction of Killarney, after 20 mins or so you will see a sign for Ballydesmond/Boherbue (R577), take this turn and keep on this road until you get to Castleisland, then follow the directions to Tralee.

marno21 wrote:

Good idea!! Thanks

I can't find a list of stages on the rally, does anyone know if they'll be doing the Healy pass and Beara this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

marno21 wrote:

marno21 wrote:
    Much faster, and no Macroom/Killarney etc.

When I lived in Cork, 12 years ago - I always travelled this way. Way less stress on road and I was living in Wilton so had to cross over through North side..

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

With the Rally of the lakes nearly here again i would hope that the Gaurds crack down on any messing this year.
    The troublesome element badly needs to be removed as it really spoils what should be a great weekend of motorsport.

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    With the Rally of the lakes nearly here again i would hope that the Gaurds crack down on any messing this year.
    The troublesome element badly needs to be removed as it really spoils what should be a great weekend of motorsport.

Radio reports all week have been saying a "major operation" will be in place from 8.30am Friday morning right through until Monday. Hopefully that's true.

There has been a big Garda van with things that look like satellite dishes on top of it and "Incident command unit" written on the side of it around town since yesterday so hopefully all the local messers have noticed and word will filter through to people coming from out of town

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

This may seem like a stupid question with all the rally talk and advice, normally I avoid the place myself this weekend..however I have to be in Killarney v.early (7am) on Sunday morning. Will the place be okay at that hour?

• Advertisement

Aimeee wrote: »
    This may seem like a stupid question with all the rally talk and advice, normally I avoid the place myself this weekend..however I have to be in Killarney v.early (7am) on Sunday morning. Will the place be okay at that hour?

Yeah be grand. Always a few clowns still up from night before but literally only two or three cars. Parking could still be a problem with all the car parks closed and manned by security and the open one's full from people leaving them there after drinking so bare that in mind to leave some time to find a place to park.

Advertisement