Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

Just noticed yesterday that Homebase in Deerpark has Closed Down. Any ideas if another retailer will fill the vacant unit?
    Heard from someone I know working in that area that Dealz/Poundland are looking at the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Heard from someone I know working in that area that Dealz/Poundland are looking at the unit.

Yep. Dealz. Bloody big unit for a dealz tho....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

I was under the impression that whole block was sold and that they're all moving out no?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Madman2

Hasn't planning permission been sought to sub divide the unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Madman2 wrote: »
    Hasn't planning permission been sought to sub divide the unit?

2 Retail Units and Offices on the first floor.
    Would really suit a large M&S

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Another Poundshop?? They sell the same thing in every shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

They will have fierce competition between Aldi and Tesco although I guess they'll benefit from all the shoppers in that part of town, pretty boring type of unit to come in though, enough of them around the place as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭PressRun

Heading to Killarney for the first time ever this weekend and would love some suggestions for things to do/see, good places to eat and nice pubs to get a pint. I'll be there for three days.

PressRun wrote: »
    Heading to Killarney for the first time ever this weekend and would love some suggestions for things to do/see, good places to eat and nice pubs to get a pint. I'll be there for three days.

Ring of Kerry drive surely a must on your first visit? Around town you have Muckross House and Gardens. Ross Castle is on the lakes. Boats leave to give a tour of the lakes and a history lesson of the island's. Torc Waterfall/Mountain if you fancy a little climb but the waterfall is very easily accessible.

As for pubs and restaurants. Absolutely loads of competition in Killarney so it's hard to find a terrible restaurant. Pubs, Murphy's bar, the Failte, Teddy O Connors all have Irish music and a nice pint.

My advice would be just take a walk round and wait til something catches your eye. Any other questions or anything specific. Just ask.

Welcome and have fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

PressRun wrote: »
    If the weather is good it's worth climbing up torc mountain. There's a trail up it consisting of boardwalk and rocky paths which is easy to follow. It's about an hour to the top from the upper torc carpark. The views are spectacular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭PressRun

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Hoping to check out most of these!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Millie73

Hiya. New to Boards so excuse if I post this in the wrong place...

We're off to hen weekend to Killarney. Nothing tacky, just spa, measl and having fun. We're a bit on the older side - in our 30's and 40's. Is there any late bars/ clubs that older people go. All we wanna do is dance, dance, dance.... Thanks, Millie.

Millie73 wrote: »
    Hiya. New to Boards so excuse if I post this in the wrong place...

We're off to hen weekend to Killarney. Nothing tacky, just spa, measl and having fun. We're a bit on the older side - in our 30's and 40's. Is there any late bars/ clubs that older people go. All we wanna do is dance, dance, dance.... Thanks, Millie.

The Kube for cocktails and dancey music. Very popular with the 25-40's crowd. The Lane is a nice chilled bar again popular with the 25+age. There is a night club attatched to the Kube called the Crypt. I don't go there because the Kube is open late enough but I'd imagine a similar crowd would be in both places.

The other night clubs are McSorleys, Mustang Sallys and the Grand. They're all sh!te.

Have fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I would also recommend the Lane. Nice little bar and they do very nice cocktails. I personally can't cope with the Kube. Probably the crowd that go there. Or maybe because I worked there for years. Not for me :o But other people seems to like it. Same story with then Crypt but it's the only 30+ age group nightclub in Killarney really. Can be alright craic! Maybe try Scotts too haven't been in years though.

I would recommend the Grand and Mc Sorleys bar but not on weekends. Totally different on weeknights. Avoid Mustangs!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

+1 for the lane bar and Kube/Crypt

Looks like there is another bar going into where The Granary used to be, wonder how long before it shuts down like the last 2 places that were in there.

siblers wrote: »
    Looks like there is another bar going into where The Granary used to be, wonder how long before it shuts down like the last 2 places that were in there.

Is there not already a Coffee House there with all the old Granary stuff still there?

madcabbage wrote: »
    Is there not already a Coffee House there with all the old Granary stuff still there?

Nope. Been shut for some time now. Terrible idea by whoever is taking over this time. It's in such a terrible place that nobody will go to

The guy who was in charge of Jimmy Briens for the last few years is involved with the place going into The Granary (K-Town Bar) and Kieran O'Leary (former Kerry footballer) is involved too, Jimmy Briens is always mobbed and he was involved with Kelly's Corner too before it was taken over by The Shire, it'll probably end up being quite successful

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Proposal for measures at the junction of the Ballycasheen/Woodlawn Rd with the N22.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/council-to-carry-out-feasibility-report-on-killarney-traffic-blackspot/

Really needed as it's impossible to get out of there. The long term solution though is the outer bypass as at junctions like this one, the two on the existing bypass and the Aghadoe/Ballyhar Rd just out the Tralee Rd are very busy and people have to take serious risks to get out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Speaking of Ballycasheen Rd,does anyone know if the place that buys clothes there, near Bowlers' Toyota garage is still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jobseeker2016

The sign is still up on that cash for clothes place but I've never seen anyone go in or out of it.

Jesus Christ. Bit late for fireworks at this time. Been goin for 20 minutes now. I thought they were scheduled for 10pm after the parade.

12.30am for a fireworks display is really taking the p*ss. Pretty much the edge of town so hear everything. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Watched the parade yesterday for the first time. The whole thing is a bit bizarre! But I suppose the tourists like it. Had to laugh at the Christmassy floats that were from the Christmas parade. Drove back to Cork before the fireworks started. Glad I didn't wait, sounds like they took ages! Didn't get dark till late enough though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Can anybody recommend a good dentist in town, particularly for teeth whitening?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Spankypat

Anybody working in the financial shared centre in Deer Park on here?

Just wondering is there a canteen there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

fierce hard to find somewhere to live in Killarney. Either renting my own or Sharing.

Daft have less than 5 places....

Any other suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is there anyone here who commutes to Limerick from Killarney?

Advertisement