Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Guards think there might be a third suspect involved, i don't think they can give out a description unless its definite

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Guards think there might be a third suspect involved, i don't think they can give out a description unless its definite

Stop AC. If they rammed a guard's car, surely they must know if there were 2 or 3 men in it? Unless, I suppose, if the guards were stunned or injured. Very worrying that people are intent on possibly killing others in order to escape from a crime. I hope the judge makes the punishment fit the crime ( so to speak).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

It would help if they had a description of him, to alert the public, who might be able to tell guards of his whereabouts.

The way I understood it was that they think this 3rd lad was driving the 2nd car but they couldn't be sure. I've heard rumours today in work similar to what Newman posted above but until the Garda say anything I would be sceptical

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

dobman88 wrote: »
    At right. The aul nosey Nora brigade. That must be fact so :rolleyes:

Not quite the nosey Nora brigade but people who were caught up in the events.

Not very nice with an armed A**hole running around your area with a Shotgun and more especially when they are known.

Without the nosey Nora Brigade areas without Garda Stations become a sitting duck for Local gougers. Maybe if your house was cased for Robberies, you may be thankful to some of them, especially when the local Garda Station is closed

newman10 wrote: »
    Not quite the nosey Nora brigade but people who were caught up in the events.

Not very nice with an armed A**hole running around your area with a Shotgun and more especially when they are known.

Without the nosey Nora Brigade areas without Garda Stations become a sitting duck for Local gougers. Maybe if your house was cased for Robberies, you may be thankful to some of them, especially when the local Garda Station is closed

So everyone knows who this lad is except the Gards? Find that hard to believe tbh. They said in radio today they weren't sure if there was a 3rd person involved. But you're here stating your case as fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

dobman88 wrote: »
    So everyone knows who this lad is except the Gards? Find that hard to believe tbh. They said in radio today they weren't sure if there was a 3rd person involved. But you're here stating your case as fact.

Maybe this can Help

"Instantly Recognisable"
    "Feared Rural Crime Gang"

Then again you seem to have your own opinion

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/detective-injured-in-post-office-robbery-stopped-at-local-store

newman10 wrote: »
    Maybe this can Help

"Instantly Recognisable"
    "Feared Rural Crime Gang"

Then again you seem to have your own opinion

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/detective-injured-in-post-office-robbery-stopped-at-local-store

That doesn't help. I'm not familiar with criminals. I don't have an opinion, all I know is what the Gards are saying. If you're so sure of yourself, spit it out instead of talking in riddles.

Link showing a not found error.

Female arrested in Killarney. Gards no longer looking for a 3rd person. At least that's good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Guards. Not gards.

Anyways, is there an explanation of how kerry gardai had armed members on site so quickly?

I thought armed response units were only in the major cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Guards. Not gards.

Anyways, is there an explanation of how kerry gardai had armed members on site so quickly?

Detectives carry firearms. Its not just confined to the armed response units in the major urban areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Guards. Not gards.

Gardaí is the correct term and there armed officers available in Kerry at all times

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Madman2

Sooo is there any word on the names of who did the crime? Are such things normally held quite for this long?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Gardaí is the correct term and there armed officers available in Kerry at all times

Guards and Gardai are both acceptable.

As I understood it it was an armed response unit from Limerick but obviously you know better or perhaps the news report has changed.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Guards and Gardai are both acceptable.

As I understood it it was an armed response unit from Limerick but obviously you know better or perhaps the news report has changed.

No, you will never see an official Garda Síochana document with the word guards as it is nothing more than a lazy misspelling of the correct term

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

No, you will never see an official Garda Síochana document with the word guards as it is nothing more than a lazy misspelling of the correct term

I never said you would see it in official documents, not sure where you got the idea I did? :)

As far as I'm aware guards is an acceptable term in common parlance and not lazy, that's just an offensive slur on people who use it (I, I might add don't use the term guards)

I only chipped in when you pulled up someone else for using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

What? No it isn't. It's the English translation of the Irish word!

Random to write a whole paragraph in English and then throw in one word of Irish

What? No it isn't. It's the English translation of the Irish word!

Random to write a whole paragraph in English and then throw in one word of Irish

Because it's the proper name, no other reason, guards or cops or whatever other word are factually incorrect ;)
    It's a colloquialism and just a bit lazy, but no matter, call them what you will...I prefer 5-0 :)

Because it's the proper name, no other reason, guards or cops or whatever other word are factually incorrect ;)
    It's a colloquialism and just a bit lazy, but no matter, call them what you will...I prefer 5-0 :)

Call them the Po-Po imo :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Madman2 wrote: »
    Sooo is there any word on the names of who did the crime? Are such things normally held quite for this long?

Brian o'sullivan age 32 from muckross and who has over FIFTY convictions for drugs & theft is one. He was given 6 months last November for theft.

Marcus o'rourke from kilcummin is the other. Again, history if convictions for resale of drugs. Seems he currently on bail for possession of €8,250 value of heroin.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I don't think that using the noun "guards" for our police force is wrong. They were referred to as the Civil Guards, and it was the official name for the force in the 1940's, 50's and 60's. In fact, I think it is disingenuous, or at least patronising, the way our government use Gaeilge as official names for different agencies and yet Irish is not our spoken language. When we all speak Gaeilge as our everyday form of communication, then we can proudly use it for our official departments. I'm sorry to say it is a bit of a joke, the cupla focal attitude we have toward our language. Sorry, didn't mean to rant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is it me or is the traffic around the town much worse this year compared to last?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Think it's the extra lights that have been added that make the matter worse. The town badly needs a by-pass on the Muckross side of town (as much as that's not possible!)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Madman2

marno21 wrote: »
    Is it me or is the traffic around the town much worse this year compared to last?

Definitely, Park road is ridiculous. In town traffic is like a parking lot and all exits and entrances to Killarney have peak hour traffic that lasts all day.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

madcabbage wrote: »
    Think it's the extra lights that have been added that make the matter worse. The town badly needs a by-pass on the Muckross side of town (as much as that's not possible!)

There was talk about a by-pass/second-road from Muckross joining up with the Cork road at some stage a few years back and route for the new new bypass as opposed to the ring-road was chosen in 2003 (see article below)

I'd wonder if the various bodies aren't holding off and doing as little road building as possible in the hope that we'll all having flying cars before too long...

I won't be holding my breath.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/further-delays-to-killarney-bypass-215398.html
    The long wait for a bypass for Killarney is to continue, despite having an original completion date of 2009.

Kerry County Council has confirmed the proposed 26km road is a “medium- to long-term” project which is unlikely to commence for several years.

The route of the €130m road begins just on the Cork side of Killarney and runs to a point about 2km on the Tralee side of Farranfore.

The route was chosen almost 10 years ago and €3m has, so far, been spent on planning and design work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

However bad the traffic is in town, something seriously needs to be done about the Whitebridge junction on the Cork road. It's a nightmare trying to cross the road there and I have seen many people taking stupid risks just trying to get out of the junction. An absolute disaster..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    There was talk about a by-pass/second-road from Muckross joining up with the Cork road at some stage a few years back and route for the new new bypass as opposed to the ring-road was chosen in 2003 (see article below)

I'd wonder if the various bodies aren't holding off and doing as little road building as possible in the hope that we'll all having flying cars before too long...

I won't be holding my breath.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/further-delays-to-killarney-bypass-215398.html

There is a N22 Killarney-Farranfore scheme in planning but it is a long way off being constructed with the current shower in Government. tbh anyway I think the Macroom-Baile Bhuirne bypass is more important. The N22 Killarney-Farranfore scheme would go from the Lissivigeen roundabout to north of Farranfore completely bypassing the town, the terrible road between Killarney and Farranfore, Farranfore itself and the level crossing north of Farranfore.

It also includes a link road from the Lissivigeen roundabout to the Muckross Road, which would be a massive relief.

Tom Fleming was a big pusher of the project but it's unfortunate that he's since retired.

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/n22farranforetokillarneyrdimprovementscheme/

Route maps are in the above link. In order to comply with EU TEN-T regulations, the road has to be built by 2050.

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    However bad the traffic is in town, something seriously needs to be done about the Whitebridge junction on the Cork road. It's a nightmare trying to cross the road there and I have seen many people taking stupid risks just trying to get out of the junction. An absolute disaster..

As someone who lives down there, it's a complete balls, it's nearly faster to go up Rookery Road, Countess Road and out the Park Road. This junction, the junction further out at Coolcaslagh, the two junctions on the "bypass" and the Ballyhar/Aghadoe road junction just out the Tralee road are impossible to make right turns out of at busy times. The Ballyhar/Aghadoe one is especially dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

Best pizza place in town?

Best pizza place in town?

Slim pickings. 4 star for me. Nice pizza and a nice seating area. Tried that new piccollo place and it's very over priced and not that good. Dominos then is dominos. Milanos pizza seemed like a frozen one to me. Salvadors was ok without being amazing but wouldn't describe either place as a pizza place.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Was thinking of heading out in town tonight but dont want to be in a club full of drunk leaving certs. Any place that don't allow them in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Was thinking of heading out in town tonight but dont want to be in a club full of drunk leaving certs. Any place that don't allow them in?

Advertisement