Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

well what were the organizers expecting when they selected PCD for the concert :rolleyes:
    could have done with u2 bringing their gig to killarney. now that would have had no problem selling out

• Registered Users Posts: 15 seanog2ie

Can anyone let me know is it true that the lead singer did not turn up for the gig. travelled down from galway as we thought McFly were making a guest appearance only to find out they pulled out ten days previous, no notice of this from organisers. We left before the dolls came on stage.
    Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭FRANKENFURTER

seanog2ie wrote: »
    Can anyone let me know is it true that the lead singer did not turn up for the gig. travelled down from galway as we thought McFly were making a guest appearance only to find out they pulled out ten days previous, no notice of this from organisers. We left before the dolls came on stage.
    Ta
    BRought my neice and her buddy and they told me that one was missing.....an absoulut joke hopefully this will be the end of this farce

they need to do either of two things regarding the summerfest concerts

1 - put on decent bands that people want to see, not the teeny-bopper rubbish trying to attract families etc (regarding families etc, see point 2)

or

2 - stop charging 60 quid a ticket for a concert aimed at kids/teenagers. under 18s are required to be accompanied by an adult so that starts off as a minimum 120 quid, the kids will probs want to bring their friends etc.

its quite simple really - pick your target demographic and market it accordingly

maybe next year someone with a brain will be in charge. remember the crowds when snow patrol played in killarney!

ps. didnt know that mcfly pulled out - what a joke :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Looking forward to checking out Killarney this weekend... Anyone recommend a nice place to eat?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭IrishSerf

regi wrote: »
    Looking forward to checking out Killarney this weekend... Anyone recommend a nice place to eat?

The above request without reply is a fine example of why the Killarney thread is not working. We are not here for advertising but I think we could do a little bit more for ppl who want to visit.

Until Weds this week Id like some support about how we can improve PR .....say anything...Ill start something on Thurs and we'll be famous again or else just go back to being a horrid thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

He Regi,
    There is a great restraunt called 'Treyvauds'. I would advise giving them a ring and making a booking though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Triona23

dmeehan wrote: »

1 - put on decent bands that people want to see, not the teeny-bopper rubbish trying to attract families etc (regarding families etc, see point 2)

or

2 - stop charging 60 quid a ticket for a concert aimed at kids/teenagers. under 18s are required to be accompanied by an adult so that starts off as a minimum 120 quid, the kids will probs want to bring their friends etc.

maybe next year someone with a brain will be in charge. remember the crowds when snow patrol played in killarney!

I went to the Killarney Summerfest the year David Gray played and there was a crowd of 26,000, it was a fantastic atmosphere. Peoples ages ranged from children with their parents to people in their 70s. There was a great buzz in the town all weekend leading up to the concert. :cool:

why not a seperate thread for "Killarney Restaurants" etc..
    ??

or will that just dilute this thread

• Advertisement

i was at that one too, sheez I even went to The Corrs (for shame, but Sheryl Crow was good)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

??

I think the tread is gone quiet because of the time of year. Too busy to be online and too much to do in the evenings.

Maybe Regi would be more specific in what they want and we will help

Thanks for coming to town because the business is badly needed

or

its quite simple really - pick your target demographic and market it accordingly

IMO the Sumerfest needs a radical overhaul in that it has to be a festival for all and not a niche.

I think a mixture of The Cats Laugh/Arts Week/Concerts/Street Entertainment
    is what we should look at.

Tommy Tiernan/Des Bishop have played in the INEC.
    Have an Arts week aka Kinsale Arts
    Street Entertainment eg Ceili Mor in Main St during the Fleadh
    A Concert with a wider appeal

Who runs the Festival?

newman10 wrote: »
    Who runs the Festival?

Basicially the gleneagle, with some additional funding.

oeb wrote: »
    Basicially the gleneagle, with some additional funding.

So it is a private business with the backing of the UDC :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Im a big fan of the Vanilla pod - four course meal for €30 and its excellent food and decent choice. Only open on in the evening on Friday and saturday nights - it also does a great lunch menu.

So it is a private business with the backing of the UDC :eek:

Partially (Full sponsor list here), and when it all comes down to it, I don't think it's that big of a deal if it is. On a typical year, the draw of tourists to the town for the summerfest lines the pockets of alot more than the gleneagle. And that kind of draw is exactly what we should be after.

The summerfest is orginised by the summerfest committee, the majority of whom also work for the glen (in my experience, and I have delt with them quite extensivly in the past). All advertising etc is carried out through the committee.

I am of the personal opinion that any plan of that kind SHOULD recive funding.

Inexile wrote: »
    Im a big fan of the Vanilla pod - four course meal for €30 and its excellent food and decent choice. Only open on in the evening on Friday and saturday nights - it also does a great lunch menu.

I have only eaten fry ups there on the odd morning, but I will happilly second the fact that their food is awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

IrishSerf wrote: »
    The above request without reply is a fine example of why the Killarney thread is not working. We are not here for advertising but I think we could do a little bit more for ppl who want to visit.
    ??

I normally check the forum most days but tis a bit quiet at the moment.

Might be an idea to set up a Thread for Visitors to Killarney/Kerry with hints tips advice recommendations?

Would be a handy resource to be able to point tourists towards.

Maybe assemble all the questions/queries and replies visitors have posted in the last six months. A lot of the stuff would be advice on stuff like restaurants/parking/hotels/pubs etc

That way tourists/visitors could quickly read through it and get a good idea of what's what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Restaurant recommendations

Murphys/Lord Kenmare - Probably best value, very nice grub - Murphys is the pub, Lord Kenmare's is the restaurant beside it/upstairs on College St

Chapter 40, New Street - Have a decent early-bird deal at the moment. Very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Might be an idea to set up a Thread for Visitors to Killarney/Kerry with hints tips advice recommendations?

Maybe assemble all the questions/queries and replies visitors have posted in the last six months. A lot of the stuff would be advice on stuff like restaurants/parking/hotels/pubs etc

That way tourists/visitors could quickly read through it and get a good idea of what's what.

A general Kerry tourism thread might be an idea alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

??

chupacabra wrote: »
    A general Kerry tourism thread might be an idea alright.

I think a general thread may help the Kerry Forum in its own but would certainly nearly end what traffic-flow is currently running through this Killarney thread. The threads aren't big enough to break down and disect info into another thread imo, it really wouldn't take people long to read through in future instead of starting new threads asking questions people have asked and have had answered before.
    I think the tread is gone quiet because of the time of year. Too busy to be online and too much to do in the evenings.

I agree with you Newman10 about the reasoning behind it being so quite. I know that's the reason why I'm only looking in and out briefly lately, with work, exercise&gym and more work etc I know that's why I for one haven't been on here as much as before.

Had to write a few lines regarding my earlier posts. First off they were written under the 'influence' and I meant no harm to any posters here.The point I was trying to get across was that there were a lot of requests for info. from ppl and there were rarely any replies (guilty here too). The OP mentioned having a thread coz BB, Tralee & Listowel had one but for the most part, their posts are more frequent and often v good reading compared to Cill Áirne ( again guilty). We need more posts, more gossip, scandal, swearing and possibly (almost) rude pics.

Thanks for listening

Had to write a few lines regarding my earlier posts. First off they were written under the 'influence' and I meant no harm to any posters here.The point I was trying to get across was that there were a lot of requests for info. from ppl and there were rarely any replies (guilty here too). The OP mentioned having a thread coz BB, Tralee & Listowel had one but for the most part, their posts are more frequent and often v good reading compared to Cill Áirne ( again guilty). We need more posts, more gossip, scandal, swearing and possibly (almost) rude pics.

Thanks for listening

I think you are making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill here.

There are not a huge number of boardsies from Killarney here, judging the people who post here, you are realisticly looking at only six or seven regular posters (with maybe half a dozen more). Secondly, it's not that unusal, or unreasonable for a person who posts on a sunday night (on a thread with this level of traffic), to get a reply on monday morning. Thirdly, there is never any point in complaining about content on a forum. You can say that we need better discussions, and better quality posts all you want, but the simple fact of the matter is, that when you suggest that everyone thinks "Wow, that's a great idea, we should have some more interesting posts" and sits back and waits for it to happen. If you want to stimulate conversation here post about something interesting, others will join in.

Personally, I generally enjoy the conversation that goes on here. At the most I only get to check boards once a day or so, so the reasonably low traffic of this thread allows me to keep up to date with what's going on.

Edit : Although you have given me an idea for another thread =)

We need more posts, more gossip, scandal, swearing and possibly (almost) rude pics.

so irishSerf, when are you gong to get the ball rolling with some "(almost) rude pics" :D

we may need to put a "NSFW" warning on the thread title :D

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/women-warned-of-serial-flasher-in-national-park-97548.html

This is almost rude.

Anything to get tourists to our park:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

^ Yeah I saw that in the advertiser! Friends of mine had an experience like that about 4 or 5 years ago in the demesne, eep.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/women-warned-of-serial-flasher-in-national-park-97548.html

This is almost rude.

Anything to get tourists to our park:rolleyes:
    lol
    thats bound to increase tourist numbers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

So fellow Killarney boardsies, what are your plans for Thursday night then?

• Advertisement

kerry4sam wrote: »
    So fellow Killarney boardsies, what are your plans for Thursday night then?

My missus has family down so I might get out:P off Fri. morn too.!

Advertisement