Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

First timer going killarney races next week

What's the situation with parking and crazy traffic queues?

Any locals advice on how to do it best?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

First timer going killarney races next week

What's the situation with parking and crazy traffic queues?

Any locals advice on how to do it best?

Thanks

Where are you coming from? Park slightly outside the town centre and walk down. Town just comes to an almost standstill when they're on and Ross road is a disaster to get in and out of.

From Killorglin you have the Cathedral car park. From Cork side there's a place on Park Road across from Ardshanavooley estate that always has spaces free and nobody ever parks there. It's not actually a car park but it's grand. There's a car park up Lewis Road. The Gleneagle car park but that's a bit of a walk.

Would really depend what side you're coming from and can advise better. I used to live on park Road and always walked down.

I'm living in killarney. So can come at it from.any side.

But, I'll have elderly parents who wouldn't fancy much of a long walk. Probs talking 15 mins tops.

Is there much parking at the actual racecourse ? Never been there....im right in saying it's down the road towards Ross castle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I'm living in killarney. So can come at it from.any side.

But, I'll have elderly parents who wouldn't fancy much of a long walk. Probs talking 15 mins tops.

Is there much parking at the actual racecourse ? Never been there....im right in saying it's down the road towards Ross castle?

Yup straight down the Ross Road on the left hand side - probably about 10 minutes walk from the top of Ross Road down to it.

As a local I've never taken a car but always walked but I would imagine there is a fair chunk of parking down there - there is a good amount of space thereabouts. The main choke point would be after the races end, it would usually be bumper to bumper coming up, so cars would be just crawling along at slower than walking pace. There's usually a Guard or two at the top of Ross Road to manage the flow going out onto the Muckross Road. I'd imagine once you get out on to Muckross Road it wouldn't be too bad (it's just getting from the Racecourse to the top of Ross Road is the bottle-neck) , with some traffic going out Muckross, some up Countess Road and the traffic in town splitting into 3 -

If you're parents are elderly I would say go and park below and simply take your time when leaving - if you absolutely hate crawling along in traffic either leave before the last race or plan on hanging around to let the traffic ease up. Normally I find that I rarely if ever sit down at a race meeting between putting down, bets going to the bar/parade ring, so you're parents might be on their feet a bit more compared to normal so might prefer to be sitting in a car even if it's only crawling along as opposed to a 15/20 minute walk back to wherever it was parked.

Yeah if you have elderly parents with you just get down there early and park.

• Advertisement

Cheers thanks.

We're well used to the Galway races. Have all the tricks of the trade at this stage for that festival!

But newbies to killarney races. Thanks for the advice. I'll try get down early and park there. Leave before the last one then to try beat some traffic .

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Last year was an absolute disaster leaving. We left round the 3rd last race, there was no proper traffic control , no one seemed to know what to do. We were in que to get out for an hour n a half or more...walk if possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Does anyone have the phone number for the dentist Nik Nomikos? I can't seem to find it online

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

kaji wrote: »
    Does anyone have the phone number for the dentist Nik Nomikos? I can't seem to find it online

http://www.redbook.ie/results.php?subCat=222&coCode=13&page=2

Dunno how accurate the redbook is though but worth a shot.

kaji wrote: »

064-6625143

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Anyone know what the pounding music down Ross Road right now is from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Anyone know what the pounding music down Ross Road right now is from?

It ain't that Celtic dancing show that would be on in the racecourse by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 talkinblah12

I dont suppose anybody would be sound enough to post the accommodation for rent section from the killarney newspaper?Looking for eitheir a share or a 1bedroom apt.Not living in Killarney at the moment but I will know about my job offer in the next week or so looking into places to rent at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

• Registered Users Posts: 6 talkinblah12

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    You can check out both these online.

Grand thank you very much!
    Of course if anyone here is looking for a roommate let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Torc waterall

In all my years going to Killarney have near seen this waterfall, can't find much information about parking restrictions out by the waterfall.
    Can you drive out by it or better walking?

Thanks in advance.

Torc waterall

In all my years going to Killarney have near seen this waterfall, can't find much information about parking restrictions out by the waterfall.
    Can you drive out by it or better walking?

Thanks in advance.

Drive out. Good few parking spaces. Head out past muckross house and it's on the left a few minutes later

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Drive out. Good few parking spaces. Head out past muckross house and it's on the left a few minutes later

Brilliant thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

Hi all,

Would anyone know of anywhere showing the McGregor fight on Sunday morning? It will probably be on at 5/6am and the hotel I am staying in have said they wont be showing it. Probably a long shot but anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JJTippBhoy

Pop into Mustangs. They will likely show it.

• Advertisement

JJTippBhoy wrote: »
    Pop into Mustangs. They will likely show it.

The liklihood of that happening is extremely slim. If it was on at 1am they would 100% have it but on at 5/6am not a chance.

Bring your laptop, download a media player called AcePlayer and watch a stream. Bonus points for bringing a HDMI cable so you can hook it up to the telly.

Anyone know of a good panel beater in or near town?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Donie Foran, Kilcummin I think

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

John Fleming. Did a job for me 2 years ago, would recommend.

Got someone, thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Hi guys, can anyone recommend some good running areas around Killarney. I'm looking for somewhere without too many crowds on the tracks. Is the nice 4K path across from St.Mary's entrance ( the one that goes up the hill ) a good option?

Across from the cathedral, that entrance to the national park is excellent. Quiet, tarmaced roads

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Thanks Chancer. I was thinking of that one.

Yeah as said opposite the cathedral, from the playground to liebherr and back is roughly 5k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Weird question, but does anyone know if men can wear regular beach shorts in the Sports Centre swimming pool or do they have to be proper swimming shorts (for pools)? Don't want to go and be told to get out of the water lol

Advertisement