Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

tinner777 wrote: »
    how much time would that add on to someone coming from cork to Killarney?

15-20 minutes. That road, while its a fairly short road, has a fair few twists and turns which will make for a slow drive. There's one railway bridge in particular that you come into blind. I wouldn't like to be driving a bus under it is all I'll say.

Usually takes me 10 minutes in a car.

Sorry meant to say would probably add 30 minutes total from Cork to Killarney. Once you get to Barraduff it's 10 minutes to Killarney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Just wondering do anyone find the ATM machines in town bit of a disaster?

Its happened to me 3 times now, when lv needed to take out money, (I'll admit on sat nights) the machines are either out of order or they cant fulfil my request. I always have money in my account, but it seems to have been happening too often in the last few months.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

dobman88 wrote: »
    15-20 minutes. That road, while its a fairly short road, has a fair few twists and turns which will make for a slow drive. There's one railway bridge in particular that you come into blind. I wouldn't like to be driving a bus under it is all I'll say.

Usually takes me 10 minutes in a car.
    https://twitter.com/aaroadwatch/status/917796875809579013

Quite a narrow road for a regional road and a poor diversion route for such a busy national road.

Lol. That didn't take long. Was bound to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Wouldn't surprise me if it's near the rail bridge along that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Very narrow road alright and busy, even without the diverted traffic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

A cement truck overturned today near Knockeens in Headford. They had traffic lights for going under the Railway tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

I'll be leaving the metropolis of Tralee this weekend :D
    Anything to do with the little ones in town this weekend do ye know? Please and thanks

God help the National park today, enough trees were loosened from the last storm a few years back.

• Advertisement

What's the weather and roads like at home lads? Thinking of heading down tomorrow but don't want to risk it if they're bad.

Roads I'll be driving are off the Motorway at Limerick, down to Tralee, onto Killarney, then Rathmore and ending up in Gneeveguilla.

Any help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

dobman88 wrote: »
    What's the weather and roads like at home lads? Thinking of heading down tomorrow but don't want to risk it if they're bad.

Roads I'll be driving are off the Motorway at Limerick, down to Tralee, onto Killarney, then Rathmore and ending up in Gneeveguilla.

Any help appreciated

It's been pouring heavy rain here for hours. I haven't been out yet, but the driving conditions look ominous. If you decide to drive today I urge extreme caution. Personally I would wait until Sunday when some clearing is forecast.

I'd probably stay put lad, the surface water on the main roads alone is lethal in these conditions.

Yep. Am staying up here. Has gotten very bad here this morning also and has been raining since 4pm yesterday. Oh well. Will just have to find another weekend.

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Has anyone here got an it makes sense loan from Killarney credit union
    I went into enquire about it last week and they told me I need a whole lot of info for them if I want it even though they advertise that all you need is two social welfare payment slips. They even told me they do a credit check!!! I taught that the whole reason behind the it makes sense loan was as to help people out who normally couldnt get a loan.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated

I'm going to the Steely Dan concert on Monday and it appears that we are once more being held to ransom by our public transport sector, and the Irish Rail website has the stoppages listed for 1st Nov. 7th Nov 14 Nov., but the other sources on the internet say that there will be major disruptions this coming weekend, and beyond. Unfortunately Monday is included. Looks like the Green bus is going to benefit very much from this action. Managers are just as culpable as the workers because they can go begging to the government for more funding. I believe that they want the strikes as much as the rail union.

I know it's a familiar complaint but traffic in Killarney is really chronic at this stage. On Friday afternoon and yes I know it's the Friday of the Bank Hol, traffic leaving town on Park Road was backed up to the Tesco roundabout. So I headed out down Countess Rd, Ballycasheen and out on to Cork Road at the Woodlawn turn off. Traffic heading in to town was backed up til nearly Lissivigeen roundabout making it nearly impossible to get across the road.....

What if anything can be done?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Radio5 wrote: »
    I know it's a familiar complaint but traffic in Killarney is really chronic at this stage. On Friday afternoon and yes I know it's the Friday of the Bank Hol, traffic leaving town on Park Road was backed up to the Tesco roundabout. So I headed out down Countess Rd, Ballycasheen and out on to Cork Road at the Woodlawn turn off. Traffic heading in to town was backed up til nearly Lissivigeen roundabout making it nearly impossible to get across the road.....

Outer bypass.

Cork-Tralee, Cork-Dingle etc traffic don't need to be on that road, and a link down to Muckross will solve the issue of N71 traffic having to go through town.

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/n22farranforetokillarneyrdimprovementscheme/

Sounds mild enough if it was only backed up to the Tesco roundabout. Some Fridays it can be back into the friary. The Cork side is always a disaster with those lights at dalys and the general mayhem at that roundabout

The outer bypass is a long term project. In the short term, the Daly's roundabout really needs to be sorted but I doubt that it will happen anytime soon.

• Advertisement

The outer bypass is a long term project. In the short term, the Daly's roundabout really needs to be sorted but I doubt that it will happen anytime soon.
    Is there a proposal to sort it?

Outer bypass will start getting Healy Rae'd as soon as the M21 Adare Bypass and N22 Macroom-Ballyvourney schemes are secured. The day the tender was published for the Macroom bypass Danny Healy Rae started talking about the Killarney outer bypass in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Going down friday for the night for a gig.

Any recommendations for a quick bite to eat and a few drinks.

Nice pub grub even.

Luap wrote: »
    Going down friday for the night for a gig.

Any recommendations for a quick bite to eat and a few drinks.

Nice pub grub even.

Pub grub, Murphys and Scotts hotel bar on College Street. Porter house on Plunkett Street. The Killarney Avenue hotel bar. Malton hotel bar. They're all town centre.

Restaurants. Italian, Robertinos or Salvadors on High Street. Asian restaurant across the street from there. Chinese on Scotts street but the name escapes me now. Indian on College Street, Bombay palace. Then you have your standard places dotted around town. Plenty of choice tbf.

Xin Garden I think is the place on Scotts street Dobman.

madcabbage wrote: »
    Xin Garden I think is the place on Scotts street Dobman.

Checked after I posted. It's golden chopstix, xin garden is a take away on Park Road beside hegartys. Both owned by the same people though

I know that because xin garden is my favourite take away in town lol

the Flesk is a very good restaurant - I took some American friends there for dinner and they were delighted with it. Courtneys is the best pub in Killarney IMO. The Porterhouse beside it is also very good.

Hi guys, I hope all's good with ye. Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in Killarney? Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Hi guys, I hope all's good with ye. Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in Killarney? Cheers.

The Polskis behind Dunnes or Keith Galvin at the woodland industrial estate

Benildus wrote: »
    The Polskis behind Dunnes or Keith Galvin at the woodland industrial estate

Thanks Benidus. I'll check them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Any of the pubs in town doing food deals for the Ireland match tonight ??

Wouldn't mind getting some grub for the game

Advertisement