Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

kerry4sam wrote: »
    So fellow Killarney boardsies, what are your plans for Thursday night then?

Recover from wednesday night =/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

NOT work for the first night in aaaaages. Friends 21st tonight.
    Speaking of work, gotta go!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

ah kerry4sam working nights until sunday, why dont u make it a monday night town is mad that night with workers out for a lash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭IrishSerf

Just wondering what you make of the crowd at 4Home the last few days. The place announces it's closing at the end of the week and now you can't get a parking space up there with vultures feasting on the dead carcuss. Went up there myself for paint and they're still too dear. So, a hypocrite or a bargain hunter for shopping there this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

such a quiet night in town tonight ... certainly not like previous Thursday nights, still a good one though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

IrishSerf wrote: »
    Just wondering what you make of the crowd at 4Home the last few days. The place announces it's closing at the end of the week and now you can't get a parking space up there with vultures feasting on the dead carcuss. Went up there myself for paint and they're still too dear. So, a hypocrite or a bargain hunter for shopping there this week?

Yeah I saw the same myself there during the week. I was talking to a staff member there who told me the busiest days there where the day they opened and the days following the announcement of the liquidation sale

Yeah I saw the same myself there during the week. I was talking to a staff member there who told me the busiest days there where the day they opened and the days following the announcement of the liquidation sale

damn sad

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I didnt know 4Homes was closing. I will miss them as we bought a lot of stuff there and always found the staff very helpful.

Some time back a rumour when around it was closing and management has to meet with staff to tell them it wasnt so.

Much prefer 4 homes to homebase and mackeys - i didnt find them dear and, as I said, loved the staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭FRANKENFURTER

:D:Dhey guys hope all are well just letting you know that all the local musicians that do the local pub circuit will be busking in killarney bank holiday Monday ...they are giving there time free and all money goes to local charities.was talking to the very rev Donal shine and he told me........so dig deep guys.was a great session and we all ended up in jades till very late last year .mary culloty sang some unbelievable songs

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Restaurant recommendations

Murphys/Lord Kenmare - Probably best value, very nice grub - Murphys is the pub, Lord Kenmare's is the restaurant beside it/upstairs on College St

Chapter 40, New Street - Have a decent early-bird deal at the moment. Very nice.

Have to agree Lord Kenmares has probably the best early bird prices at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

i much prefer killarney then tralee, Iam originally from dublin mysepf but was christened in the cathedral in killareny and spent all my school holidays down home and used to work in the heights hotel up the kingdom :D

Inexile wrote: »
    I didnt know 4Homes was closing. I will miss them as we bought a lot of stuff there and always found the staff very helpful./QUOTE]

Just walked down High St. and the lads in Urban has a CLOSING DOWN SALE sign up. :(:(:(

I know the guys and must find out more. IMO the best for hoodies and bootcuts and are very helpful

newman10 wrote: »
    I didnt know 4Homes was closing. I will miss them as we bought a lot of stuff there and always found the staff very helpful./QUOTE]

Just walked down High St. and the lads in Urban has a CLOSING DOWN SALE sign up. :(:(:(

I know the guys and must find out more. IMO the best for hoodies and bootcuts and are very helpful

That sucks. It's the only place in town I can buy jeans that fit me =/

Aw no. Yeah I know I a guy that used to work there, he must be glad he left the country now! I even used to buy hoodies there and I'm a girl. My brother will be sad about that.

And 4 Homes! :(

Best pub in Ireland
    [URL="
    Masssachusetts.
    May 23, 2009

Molly Darcy's is absolutely the best pub around. Great character, craic, everyone so friendly and helpful, wonderful ambience, music, food, decor - everything!! Had great craic and were terrific sing-songs or sessions as they say there - definitely can't wait to get back to visit again. Terrific place!

This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.

Cant link but Mollys was the no.1 attraction n Killarney after this review. No link allowable but please follow wotsthecraic......joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

hope the kingdom win tmrrw. originally from dubs but was christened in st marys cathedral 32 years ago and spent all my school hols in killarney as a kid and both the folks are from kerry. hoping for a good match ip the kingdom

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭maxim

Does anyone know if eg Argos in Deerpark is open Aug. Bank Holiday Mon?
    I know the Outlet Centre is, but didn't want to trek out if Deerpark is closed - will wait for another day instead!!

Hi All

Whats the news with the Leisure Centre. Is it closing? :confused::confused: Heard something on Kerry Radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 celtic_muffin

Hi All

Whats the news with the Leisure Centre. Is it closing? :confused::confused: Heard something on Kerry Radio

What? It better not, I just signed up two weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Well we've been members for 12 months and as far as the pool is concerned (and this is why the Management company are pulling out) the use has become so restricted for people who want to use it for fitness, that we are able to use it far less than we had hoped. If Aura do leave, it's difficult to see how their succession would be managed. Unfortunately there are not too many people willing to lay out €400 a year at a health club, particularly if there is long-term uncertainty. There are plenty of other places to get wet and keep fit in the Killarney area !

• Advertisement

Oliverdog wrote: »
    Well we've been members for 12 months and as far as the pool is concerned (and this is why the Management company are pulling out) the use has become so restricted for people who want to use it for fitness, that we are able to use it far less than we had hoped. If Aura do leave, it's difficult to see how their succession would be managed. Unfortunately there are not too many people willing to lay out €400 a year at a health club, particularly if there is long-term uncertainty. There are plenty of other places to get wet and keep fit in the Killarney area !

One of the main reasons that I cancelled my membership was that it was just very difficult to swim when I wanted to, between all the classes and things taking up the full pool it ment that I had to re-arrange my schedule around when the pool was actually available rather than going at any time that suited me. And to be honest, the hastle of that was not worth 55 euro a month.

Fecking raging at the moment though, went in a number of weeks ago, told the guy working there that I wanted to cancel my membership. He tells me that it's no problem and he will get the manager to do it when she came back in an hour. I told him that if there was any problems to give me a ring, and I got him to double check that the number on file is my current one.

Sure enough, yesterday 55 euro was taken out of my account ....

Hi All

What was on Kerry Radio was the fact that the pool has apparently lost €300,000 over the last year, and needs to be bailed out to the tune of €180,000 to continue operating.

oeb wrote: »
    One of the main reasons that I cancelled my membership was that it was just very difficult to swim when I wanted to, between all the classes and things taking up the full pool it ment that I had to re-arrange my schedule around when the pool was actually available rather than going at any time that suited me. And to be honest, the hastle of that was not worth 55 euro a month.

Fecking raging at the moment though, went in a number of weeks ago, told the guy working there that I wanted to cancel my membership. He tells me that it's no problem and he will get the manager to do it when she came back in an hour. I told him that if there was any problems to give me a ring, and I got him to double check that the number on file is my current one.

Sure enough, yesterday 55 euro was taken out of my account ....

If you don't write to them TODAY, outline the circumstances, and tell them that you want this €55 reimbursed to your account, then you can bet they'll deny all knowledge of your verbal instruction to a member of their staff to discontinue your membership. Aura is a large company - they would not like to be seen to treat customers like this.
    Your experience mirrors our own with school lessons and classes all over the schedule, and no-one able to tell us when we phone ahead whether the pool was available or not for just swimming our lengths. Also the "Life Guards" made no attempt to control misbehaviour by various elements, after the few decent ones there at the start had jumped ship.

Oliverdog wrote: »
    If you don't write to them TODAY, outline the circumstances, and tell them that you want this €55 reimbursed to your account, then you can bet they'll deny all knowledge of your verbal instruction to a member of their staff to discontinue your membership. Aura is a large company - they would not like to be seen to treat customers like this.
    Your experience mirrors our own with school lessons and classes all over the schedule, and no-one able to tell us when we phone ahead whether the pool was available or not for just swimming our lengths. Also the "Life Guards" made no attempt to control misbehaviour by various elements, after the few decent ones there at the start had jumped ship.

I went in yesterday afternoon and lost the plot with the manager. She said she would call me today or Monday.

oeb wrote: »
    I went in yesterday afternoon and lost the plot with the manager. She said she would call me today or Monday.

Sounds like you won't stand any nonsense. Good luck with it - I'll be interested to know how you got on.

My aunt had the exact same problem with Aura! She was told two months ago that her direct debit had been stopped yet when she checked it out the money was still being taken. I was joined with them for just a month (some voucher thing around Christmas). It was grand. I liked the gym. But now I get the Towers for free because I'm working with the company, so all is good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 celtic_muffin

Hey everyone!
    Does anyone know a god, reasonable place for tyres in Killarney or around? I need to get two new tyres and would appreciate a good deal since I'm broke enough anyway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

try osheas at the top of High Street. Got our last set there and they were reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Astraman

There are a few different places doing tyres now like o'sheas also tyre stop on park road and you have the tyre centre near whitebridge also if your willing to travel a small bit you should price tommy murphy in farranfore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭ciarraibhoy

Where is the best place to buy coal. I used to get it in 4Homes, the buy 4 & get one free deal, but now they've closed I don't know where to get a good deal.

Advertisement