Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Have to admit I'm not missing the over busyness around the town. No yanks taking over the place, no over flow traffic and no jaunty carts standing around staring or being a pain in the arsenal on the roads.

Nice to have the place to ourselves for one summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

LilacNails wrote: »
    Have to admit I'm not missing the over busyness around the town. No yanks taking over the place, no over flow traffic and no jaunty carts standing around staring or being a pain in the arsenal on the roads.

Nice to have the place to ourselves for one summer.

Tbf, those "yanks" spend enough in summer so businesses can survive the winter. One of my favourite things about living in Killarney is the hustle and bustle of tourist season.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Tbf, those "yanks" spend enough in summer so businesses can survive the winter. One of my favourite things about living in Killarney is the hustle and bustle of tourist season.

I know that's what keeps businesses open, I've worked in the tourism 10 plus years.

I'm saying I'm enjoying the peace in a lovely town in good weather. Nothing about businesses.

I know that's what keeps businesses open, I've worked in the tourism 10 plus years.

I'm saying I'm enjoying the peace in a lovely town in good weather. Nothing about businesses.

:pac: ok

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Unusual to see a herd of kerry cattle left free to wander in the park?

Passed me on the path a couple minutes from knockreer house.

No more dangerous than the deer i guess but they're fairly imposing up close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Unusual to see a herd of kerry cattle left free to wander in the park?

Passed me on the path a couple minutes from knockreer house.

No more dangerous than the deer i guess but they're fairly imposing up close

Not sure where the wardens are. I haven't seen any of them around.
    Deer were also outside of their enclosed area last week, and a young doe was on Port road.
    The problem sometimes with cattle is that they sometimes mistake children for dogs and have been known to attack them. It is extremely rare, but it has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

Anyone have a list of restaurants that are open for takeaway/delivery in Killarney (besides Denjoes, Mike's and the Plaza)? Would like to support local businesses during this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

There was a list in the Outlook this week https://killarneyoutlook.com/

See Page 32

So Michael Jordan was in Killarney once upon a time for a game of golf.... Anyone remember this? Where did he stay and what else did he go at?!

After watching the documentary I'm star struck!

Nice little story here written by local man Adam Moynihan after talking to the lads who showed Jordan and his entourage around

https://twitter.com/AdamMoynihan/status/1266357684527300611?s=19

Nice little story here written by local man Adam Moynihan after talking to the lads who showed Jordan and his entourage around

https://twitter.com/AdamMoynihan/status/1266357684527300611?s=19

I literally just read it haha

• Advertisement

I literally just read it haha

It's great that they put that kind of stuff on Twitter and Facebook. Strangely enough I actually missed the Advertiser when I left Killarney. Used to have a laugh at all the aul wans in a mad rush for it on a Friday. They used to come in and ask for 2 or 3 copies for this that and the other person. We ended up having to put them behind the counter for our own customers cos people would come in and take the whole bundle of them. Mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

It's great that they put that kind of stuff on Twitter and Facebook. Strangely enough I actually missed the Advertiser when I left Killarney. Used to have a laugh at all the aul wans in a mad rush for it on a Friday. They used to come in and ask for 2 or 3 copies for this that and the other person. We ended up having to put them behind the counter for our own customers cos people would come in and take the whole bundle of them. Mad stuff.

You can read the full version on the site
    https://www.killarneyadvertiser.ie/

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    You can read the full version on the site
    https://www.killarneyadvertiser.ie/

Well now. Every day is a school day. If I could thank that twice I would. Many thanks.

There's 1 day left in may but I've already turned over the page on my calendar, Killarney historic by Switzer.

Lady Kenmares cottage on Glena bay...

Where abouts is this?

I know it's in ruins now, from the picture it looks amazing such a pity it wasn't taken care of

There's 1 day left in may but I've already turned over the page on my calendar, Killarney historic by Switzer.

Where abouts is this?

I know it's in ruins now, from the picture it looks amazing such a pity it wasn't taken care of

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's down past Ross Castle along the walk to the copper mines. Theres ruins on the left as you're walking away from the castle and I'm nearly sure that's it. Easily accessible

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Where abouts is this?

Can you post a photo ? thanks
    It may be Victoria's Cottage at the edge of Tomies Mountain, stunning location, now overgrown

Where abouts is this?

Funnily enough I just saw someone post about this on Twitter.

If you put Glena Cottage into Google maps, it comes up. I asked for directions and they said it's best accessed by boat, it's a bit of a hike from old weir bridge to reach it, trail is hard to find with lots of boggy ground and Rhododendron overgrown.

If you decide to make a trip out to it, best of luck, its sounds like a stunning location

Funnily enough I just saw someone post about this on Twitter.

If you put Glena Cottage into Google maps, it comes up. I asked for directions and they said it's best accessed by boat, it's a bit of a hike from old weir bridge to reach it, trail is hard to find with lots of boggy ground and Rhododendron overgrown.

If you decide to make a trip out to it, best of luck, its sounds like a stunning location

Might be a but tricky to cross the water but I'll go as far as I can.

newman10 wrote: »
    Can you post a photo ? thanks
    It may be Victoria's Cottage at the edge of Tomies Mountain, stunning location, now overgrown

I'm not great with technology just google image it and ul see loads of pics.

Does anyone know if a chemist might be open today??

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if a chemist might be open today??

Park Road Pharmacy or Boots should be open

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Listrydude

Re Glena Cottage, looks very interesting indeed:

https://killarneyguide.ie/glena/

Listrydude wrote: »
    Re Glena Cottage, looks very interesting indeed:

https://killarneyguide.ie/glena/

That's fantastic. Will pass a day when I'm home next.

nice to see lights in shops in town center today as they prepare to open on Monday after the long break due to Covid-19. Looking forward to seeing how many places are open next week. Also interesting to see the queues at McDonalds!

Listrydude wrote: »
    nice to see lights in shops in town center today as they prepare to open on Monday after the long break due to Covid-19. Looking forward to seeing how many places are open next week. Also interesting to see the queues at McDonalds!

all shops reopening..........except the Outlet Centre !!

newman10 wrote: »
    all shops reopening..........except the Outlet Centre !!

I thought the Euro shop and Health food shops were open in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

The army surplus store is open in there i believe.

All the other Shops in the Outlet Centre are Phase 5, August 8th unless it is brought forward

Which will have the bigger crowd , Pennys or the Outlet Centre ?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/rumblings-that-shops-will-defy-covid-restrictions-instead-of-watch-competitors-cash-in-1003543.html

Penny's for sure!

• Advertisement

Penny's for sure!

Not Opening on Monday

Advertisement