Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

LilacNails wrote: »
    Penny's for sure!

Penny's arent reopening on Monday, they said they wouldnt be able to implement safety measures in time.

Guy reporting from main street in Killarney on virgin media 1 now talking about businesses and tourism

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Didn't say it was....I was referring to the post asking of Penny's or the outlet center would be busier.

Didn't say it was....I was referring to the post asking of Penny's or the outlet center would be busier.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Outlet Centre re-opening 15th

Jam in town have closed. I'm shocked would have thought they were doing quiet good. What a pity it was a great spot.

• Advertisement

Jam in town have closed. I'm shocked would have thought they were doing quiet good. What a pity it was a great spot.

Plus 1 or 2 more high profile businesses yet to be announced :(

newman10 wrote: »

By the looks of it.... It's like the last recession all over again. It's dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Is that information or speculation

dobman88 wrote: »
    Is that information or speculation

Information on 1 and a trade rumor on the other

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JJTippBhoy

Brennan’s Catering on Park Road will also not be re-opening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Radio5

Kerry is very dependant on overseas tourism, take that out of the equation and the knock on effect is huge across every sector of the economy from food/cafe/restaurants to gift shops to pharmacy to bookshops, hotel /B & B summer jobs for students, reliable seasonal work for others, tour guides, drivers, cleaners, teaching English sector and on it goes.

Not to mention the hit from the limited numbers for weddings/parties/funerals and cancellation of concerts and festivals of all sorts. Even if country opens up for internal travel in July, visitors won't be spending the same amount of money as before, no browsing, no relaxing in restaurants/bars just eat and go.

It was strange walking around Muckross House gardens yesterday evening, all the Irish families with young kids and dogs straining on leads, older people, families cycling, no jaunting car, no non-Irish visitors at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Radio5 wrote: »
    Kerry is very dependant on overseas tourism, take that out of the equation and the knock on effect is huge across every sector of the economy from food/cafe/restaurants to gift shops to pharmacy to bookshops, hotel /B & B summer jobs for students, reliable seasonal work for others, tour guides, drivers, cleaners, teaching English sector and on it goes.

Not to mention the hit from the limited numbers for weddings/parties/funerals and cancellation of concerts and festivals of all sorts. Even if country opens up for internal travel in July, visitors won't be spending the same amount of money as before, no browsing, no relaxing in restaurants/bars just eat and go.

It was strange walking around Muckross House gardens yesterday evening, all the Irish families with young kids and dogs straining on leads, older people, families cycling, no jaunting car, no non-Irish visitors at all.

It's fantastic without all of the idiot tourist drivers.

Nice and quiet for once too.

Even the last 2 years tourists haven't been parting easily with money. They have become tight, don't blame them.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    It's fantastic without all of the idiot tourist drivers.

Nice and quiet for once too.

I'm loving the quietness. Killarney is such a small town for the amount of tourists we get. The cut back on traffic has been so less stressful, just shows parking and traffic jams are a disaster for the town.

And no quietness is not great for business, we all know that but in terms of noise, crowding, heavy traffic it's refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Foghach

If only we could keep it that way. Maybe build a big beautiful wall around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Foghach wrote: »
    If only we could keep it that way. Maybe build a big beautiful wall around it.

And make the Narries in Tralee pay for it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Foghach

theguzman wrote: »

Best of luck with that. Better chance of getting Mexico to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

theguzman wrote: »

That's a term I'm not familiar with. What is the origin of it, "Narries"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

That's a term I'm not familiar with. What is the origin of it, "Narries"?

The Narries are a nickname Kerins O'Rahilly's GAA in Strand Road, Tralee, the name Narrie came from "Narrie pickers" a name they got from living next to the dump. Similar to Cats for Kilkenny or Rebels for Cork.

By the looks of it.... It's like the last recession all over again. It's dreadful.

Muckross Farms reopening in very limited conditions and closing in September

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/muckross-traditional-farms-in-killarney-to-shut-down-indefinitely-in-september-1006090.html

• Advertisement

Was that one of the businesses u heard that were closing?

Was that one of the businesses u heard that were closing?

Unfortunately not

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It seems that a lot of the people wandering around the Outlet Centre are illiterate, because they obviously can't read the signs, and also don't have a clue what the arrows on the floor are supposed to signify.

It could be caused by the Stupidovirus, a little known Coronavirus mutation.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It seems that a lot of the people wandering around the Outlet Centre are illiterate, because they obviously can't read the signs, and also don't have a clue what the arrows on the floor are supposed to signify.

It could be caused by the Stupidovirus, a little known Coronavirus mutation.

Very little wandering around the Centre, as in just going from shop to shop for a look, most people are in to purchase something then they leave
    There is no hanging around for free wifi or just in for a coffee
    Yes, some people are not observing the one way system but all in all, its not too bad
    It's in 2 weeks time when the coffee shops are back that I would have more concerns !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Radio5

Was in Supervalu last week. Waiting in express queue, clear signage on floor indicating where you're to stand. Lady with basket came up and stood right behind me, maybe 2 ft away. Asked her politely to move back, she looked at me as if I was an alien. luckily a checkout became free & was called, so I was able to move on. Glad I was wearing a mask but shocked at the stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Radio5 wrote: »
    Was in Supervalu last week. Waiting in express queue, clear signage on floor indicating where you're to stand. Lady with basket came up and stood right behind me, maybe 2 ft away. Asked her politely to move back, she looked at me as if I was an alien. luckily a checkout became free & was called, so I was able to move on. Glad I was wearing a mask but shocked at the stupidity.

Yes there are some people who are resisting the restrictions.
    I have noticed, though, that more people are wearing masks. I shop at big Tesco and was glad for that improvement in people's attitude. We are lucky in Kerry, as it has low infection rates -most people are behaving themselves which helps the low rate. I'm also glad that the tourism trade is down, because if it were to continue at the historical level our infections would skyrocket.We would probably have had extraordinarily high levels of infection for our small town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Anyone have any recommendations for a builder for a boundary wall in Killarney?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Listrydude

So what's the story with all the new bollards going up around the town. New areas for outdoor seating? Seems to be outside food establishments in most cases bar Portwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Listrydude wrote: »
    So what's the story with all the new bollards going up around the town. New areas for outdoor seating? Seems to be outside food establishments in most cases bar Portwest.

It's to give pedestrians more space for social distancing, particularly outside food shops where queuing is more likely. Being done in towns and cities across the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My Mom was saying there are lots of American tourists around. Anyone noticed this? Bit worrying and doubt they are self isolating for 14 days..

Advertisement