Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bankrbr

i am heading to killarney for ian brown at the inec ..im staying at the eviston though and wonder what the distance is e.g walking distance or taxi also if anybody knows what the parking situation is in the eviston thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

bankrbr wrote: »
    i am heading to killarney for ian brown at the inec ..im staying at the eviston though and wonder what the distance is e.g walking distance or taxi also if anybody knows what the parking situation is in the eviston thanks

Hey, the Eviston is right in the heart of the town centre. It is located on a Main Street but their are public car-parks located within 3-4mins walk from there though. They do have a loading bay right outside though is you wanted to offload your luggage before parking.

As for getting to the INEC, I would recommend a taxi to be honest. You would be looking at 20-25mins minimum to walk there but only a few mins by taxi which would only set you back 7-8euro.

thanks alot kerry for sam appreciate the info ...one final question mc sorelys the danny mann or somewer else to woo the ladies lol :cool:

What do people think of the fact that the jarveys are still picketing outside the front of Muckross House on the issue of the horse nappies?

I think it's an utter joke myself and have no sympathy for the jarveys.

Heard that turnover in the restaurant is down something like 40%
    (Probably some of this due to the recession but the restaurant has always been decent value and the last time I was in there it was fairly busy)

I have never crossed a picket-line in my life and I see the damage to the tourism that picketing is doing as I have seen first-hand others who are like me - they drive to the entrance but turn and return back toward town. It is bound to damage the trade within the gates, no doubts about that. It surely cannot continue though. I would hope not anyways.

The last time I wanted to drive in there with my mom as we haven't walked around in there in what seems like years now but I would not drive in past them. I just couldn't do it. What I done was turn and parked at the entrance opposite Molly Darcy's where the jarveys normally park up waiting for tourists (the entrance near Muckross Abbey) and we walked to Muckross House from there. But then I would be lying if I was to say I wasn't concerned about the safety of my car parked there so we didn't stay long around the Gardens etc. Shame but reality at this time.

thanks alot kerry for sam appreciate the info ...one final question mc sorelys the danny mann or somewer else to woo the ladies lol :cool:

:D ... Tell me, what night of the week is the concert?

• Advertisement

its a friday night :D

its a friday night :D

ah I would suspect you guys will be spoiled for choice in Killarney on a Friday night :p

Most people would hit McSorleys & Scruffy's at some stage but would end up in either TheGrand or TheCrypt on a Friday night. I would definitely recommend hitting a fair few of the bars along the main streets, talk to more random strangers and just see where you end up! No two nights are the same in Killarney ;)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    ah I would suspect you guys will be spoiled for choice in Killarney on a Friday night :p

Most people would hit McSorleys & Scruffy's at some stage but would end up in either TheGrand or TheCrypt on a Friday night. I would definitely recommend hitting a fair few of the bars along the main streets, talk to more random strangers and just see where you end up! No two nights are the same in Killarney ;)

cheers im lookin forward to it already lol

cheers im lookin forward to it already lol

I hope you all enjoy your night. Something tells me that ya will though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

So did anyone see that band in the Grand last thursday? (Spring Break). They were savage, I hope they are playing again tomorrow night (I have no idea how up to date the Grand's website is!

• Advertisement

oeb wrote: »
    So did anyone see that band in the Grand last thursday? (Spring Break). They were savage, I hope they are playing again tomorrow night (I have no idea how up to date the Grand's website is!

Hey ThePaddies will be playing this Thursday oeb but I will be there none the less, kinda really like their music :)

Must look out for SpringBreak in there again though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭FRANKENFURTER

any people going to game?where will the best bar to watch the game be:eek:

Hey ThePaddies will be playing this Thursday oeb but I will be there none the less, kinda really like their music :)

Must look out for SpringBreak in there again though

If you see me say hi! (There is a photo a couple of pages back) I will be in there somewhere too.
    any people going to game?where will the best bar to watch the game be:eek:

I normally think the Granary is a great place to watch a game, if you get in early enough to get a seat. They have a nice big screen and will be providing free finger food during half time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I have never crossed a picket-line in my life and I see the damage to the tourism that picketing is doing as I have seen first-hand others who are like me - they drive to the entrance but turn and return back toward town. It is bound to damage the trade within the gates, no doubts about that. It surely cannot continue though. I would hope not anyways.

The last time I wanted to drive in there with my mom as we haven't walked around in there in what seems like years now but I would not drive in past them. I just couldn't do it. What I done was turn and parked at the entrance opposite Molly Darcy's where the jarveys normally park up waiting for tourists (the entrance near Muckross Abbey) and we walked to Muckross House from there. But then I would be lying if I was to say I wasn't concerned about the safety of my car parked there so we didn't stay long around the Gardens etc. Shame but reality at this time.

Ended up going up Torc instead

An utter disgrace that you felt concern about the safety of your car.

If you see me say hi! (There is a photo a couple of pages back) I will be in there somewhere too.

I do know you to see you alright. You actually done some card tricks for me once at the Plaza ;) . I will introduce you to kerry4sam if I see you in there tonight.

Ended up going up Torc instead

An utter disgrace that you felt concern about the safety of your car.

To be fair I had only bought that car a month at that stage and was treating it like my own lickle baby, nothing was going to damage it or I would be :mad:.

Their are no cameras there and I always, always park in safety under light or near cameras. Just a habit I have got into now. That's why I was uncomfortable parking my new car there. In saying that I was livid when I returned as someone had tried to do a turn in the car-park and their bumper had hit and drove in the body-work over my drivers wheel. I needed another walk after seeing that and knowing I would never know who it was so we drove out to entrance to Dinish Cottage for an even longer walk.

So so many places in Killarney to walk to on a fine day. An absolute blessing by Killarney to be so lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Shame about the car
    So so many places in Killarney to walk to on a fine day. An absolute blessing by Killarney to be so lucky.

It's really one of those things you don't realise until you move away and see how poor some other places in the country are.

Even on a wet day there are still the same number of places to walk, although conditions aren't as pleasant:p

I do know you to see you alright. You actually done some card tricks for me once at the Plaza ;) . I will introduce you to kerry4sam if I see you in there tonight.

Practically famous! :p

Practically famous! :p

and like Oh my God like I actually met you and was like in your presence and all like. I mean, wow :eek: like if I had known then you were oeb I would be all chuffed and stuff like to be in the presence of a practically famous person like :D:p

sorry oeb, I couldn't resist :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

You might be noticing a rake of Audis and Mercs around town. There's a large conference/event.
    The DERTOUR Reiseakademie is Germany’s most prestigious travel trade training event...
    The rest is here: http://www.irishpressreleases.ie/2009/11/12/killarney-prepares-for-german-invasion/

• Advertisement

madrabui wrote: »
    You might be noticing a rake of Audis and Mercs around town. There's a large conference/event.

The rest is here: http://www.irishpressreleases.ie/2009/11/12/killarney-prepares-for-german-invasion/

As long as they don't all drive like the chap in the Audi I had the pleasure to meet in Tralee on Tuesday, then it will be great to have them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

madrabui wrote: »

Yeah they are staying in the hotel I work in. Apparently they are doing the hotel up to look like different tourist destinations, or something. Not completely sure really. Guess I'll find out on Saturday!

Didn't get to head out tonight afterall oeb. A friend arrived for a deep-n-meaningful and brought a bottle so we stayed in chatting. Hope ThePaddies were on form tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭jrochie

anyone hear anything about quills this week? I heard earlier today that the reason upstairs is closed isnt just for renovations. anyone else hear anything to do with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭FRANKENFURTER

jrochie wrote: »
    anyone hear anything about quills this week? I heard earlier today that the reason upstairs is closed isnt just for renovations. anyone else hear anything to do with this?
    went there a cpl of weeks back and was shocked to see how bad the store was gone a shame really

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

went there a cpl of weeks back and was shocked to see how bad the store was gone a shame really

Its a sign of the times in which we live. Quills looks a little off and Brian James are relocating to a smaller premises. Urban moved to New St and I have to say that I am impressed with their new shop.

It is very simple if we choose not to support our local shops they will close:eek:

jrochie wrote: »

I haven't been in there in over a month, prefer shopping in Cork or Limerick cities now and it's a also a great way for me to catch up with old college mates aswell.

It was in a fairly bad state back then, didn't think it could get worse. They don't seem to be bringing in the stock in the first-place to attract more foot-work imo. It has declined in recent years.

newman10 wrote: »
    Its a sign of the times in which we live. Quills looks a little off and Brian James are relocating to a smaller premises. Urban moved to New St and I have to say that I am impressed with their new shop.

It is very simple if we choose not to support our local shops they will close:eek:

I agree that if we don't support our local shops, they will close. That is inevitable. In saying that though, if the local shops don't actually have what I need at that time, or is in a position to order in for me, then I will travel elsewhere to a place where I can either purchase there & then or return to collect an order for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

As long as they don't all drive like the chap in the Audi I had the pleasure to meet in Tralee on Tuesday, then it will be great to have them!

dont get me started on Audi drivers
    9vjot.jpg

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

dmeehan wrote: »
    dont get me started on Audi drivers
    9vjot.jpg

:D
    That's not taken in the Kerry Technology Park by any chance?

Advertisement