Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

Asgaroth wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I am about to move down to Killlarney at the end of the month. I was wondering if there are any decent broadband options in Killarney (besides Eircom or a mobile phone variant).

Any tips/suggestions wouldf be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I've been using BT for 3 years which has been great. They are in the middle of changing to Vodafone, my next bill should be from Vodafone. The broadband only options are here...
    http://www.vodafone.ie/df/homebroadband/broadbandonly/?ts=1266961907715

Anyone know of good WiFi spots in Kilarney? I'm looking for cafe type places as opposed to Hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

flanree wrote: »
    Anyone know of good WiFi spots in Kilarney? I'm looking for cafe type places as opposed to Hotels.
    I don't think there's an abundance of good WiFi spots in Killarney.
    The Outlet centre beside the railway/bus station is probably one and it has a Costa outlet and an O'Briens sandwich bar. The WiFi is pretty much an open connection accessible throughout the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Anyone know of good WiFi spots in Kilarney? I'm looking for cafe type places as opposed to Hotels.[/QUOT

Try McDonalds and the Outlet Centre has wifi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I know it's a hotel but I'm pretty sure the front of The Ross (lobby/coffee spot has free wifi) not 100%

Surely there muct be more spots than this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Murphy's/Squires/Lord Kenmare has WiFi but you need to ask at reception or perhaps the bar for the password.
    The Malton has free WiFi (i.e. no need for password) as has the Gleneagle/INEC.
    I *think* the Granary has also but I'm not sure.

The Malton one is handy for killing time when you're waiting at the train station to collect someone :).
    Overall though the WiFi coverage isn't great. Many of the hotels have it password protected for guests only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

DeepBlue wrote: »
    The Malton one is handy for killing time when you're waiting at the train station to collect someone :).
    Overall though the WiFi coverage isn't great. Many of the hotels have it password protected for guests only.

i've used their network myself while parked in the train station carpark :D

free stuff rocks

Might go for a wander around town and see if there are any other spots if it's anyway fine over the weekend.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I *think* the Granary has also but I'm not sure

Granery and The Danny Mann Bar both have WiFi

O'Briens Sandwich Bars have free wi-fi available in both shops

• Advertisement

as a newbie to wifi, if its free do you still need some sort of login user / password?

as a newbie to wifi, if its free do you still need some sort of login user / password?

Some places you need a login/password; in other places you don't.
    Varies fromplace to place.

Was out around Marks and Sparks earlier and there seemed to be a fair bit of Wi-Fi but it was all locked:(

Town seemed busy over the weekend - wasn't out but seemed to be a bit of traffic around anyway.

Anyone know what the reasoning behind the new traffic lights outside the Handy/near the jarvies is? Seems a very strange place for them imo.

Also well done to the Sem, who won the Munster Cup yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jazabelrose

:p hey all, those lights are an accident waitin to happen when they become live.

Two sets of pedestrian lights within 100m of each other.

It should be great fun traffic watching this summer

Anyone know what the reasoning behind the new traffic lights outside the Handy/near the jarvies is? Seems a very strange place for them imo.

its to allow the tourists safe access to the public toilets :rolleyes:

and yes it is an accident waiting to happen, traffic lights around a corner. the council must have gotten a good deal as there are also new pedestrian lights on the road to Tesco/Deerpark and also some new ones in Oakpark, Tralee

dmeehan wrote: »
    its to allow the tourists safe access to the public toilets :rolleyes:

and yes it is an accident waiting to happen, traffic lights around a corner. the council must have gotten a good deal as there are also new pedestrian lights on the road to Tesco/Deerpark and also some new ones in Oakpark, Tralee

Fecking ridiculous....no need for them whatsoever. Has even one person ever had any difficulties whatsoever crossing over to the jarvies/toilets?

Wonder how much they cost - given the way things are inflated when government departments are involved would imagine it's probably north of
    £10k.

Could possibly see a need for them on the Tesco/Deerpark road, depending on where they were going.

Probably a case of the council spending all of it's budget to ensure that the budget isn't reduced the next year. Heard that's where the silverly sculptures/statues things in front of the courthouse came from a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

So let's start emailing the local councillors?

madrabui wrote: »
    So let's start emailing the local councillors?
    I dont think that they will start listening to us now.

Who has been nominated to take Michael Courtneys seat. Is it staying in the family or will another independent get it

Fecking ridiculous....no need for them whatsoever. Has even one person ever had any difficulties whatsoever crossing over to the jarvies/toilets?

....QUOTE]

I've seen poor tourists almost knocked down a few times last summer. But that because they were crossing at a blind corner, exactly where the lights are going to be.

Couldn't the council have signposted the toilets by the Plaza/beechroad car park a little bit better instead?!

• Advertisement

newman10 wrote: »
    I dont think that they will start listening to us now.

Who has been nominated to take Michael Courtneys seat. Is it staying in the family or will another independent get it

Would agree on this, but I'll be bending an ear whenever I run into any of them. Didn't hear anything about Michael Courneys's seat - I've a notion in cases like this someone is co-opted on to the council, probably at the discretion of Michael's family. Can sometimes take a fair of time though

I've seen poor tourists almost knocked down a few times last summer. But that because they were crossing at a blind corner, exactly where the lights are going to be.

Couldn't the council have signposted the toilets by the Plaza/beechroad car park a little bit better instead?!

Well I worked in one of the units along there for two summers and never saw any tourists have any trouble getting accross to the jarverys, although it was before the redesign/restructuring of the road layout. Was kinda assuming it was still the same.

Agree about the signposting suggestion.

I'm still sceptical about the need for the traffic lights at the spot though.
    Could they not have simply put in a zebra crossing like by the plaza, which wouldn't hold up traffic unless there was someone there to cross?

On a unrelated note went out to Muckross House on Monday for a long lunch - think it was 9.50 for a plate, which was great value as the food (which is always good) was enough to feed two poeple. I would recommend the restaurant to people as basically any profits that are made go into the running of the House and Gardens.

Would agree on this, but I'll be bending an ear whenever I run into any of them. Didn't hear anything about Michael Courneys's seat - I've a notion in cases like this someone is co-opted on to the council, probably at the discretion of Michael's family. Can sometimes take a fair of time though

Well I worked in one of the units along there for two summers and never saw any tourists have any trouble getting accross to the jarverys, although it was before the redesign/restructuring of the road layout. Was kinda assuming it was still the same.

Agree about the signposting suggestion.

I suppose I should have pointed out that it was myself that almost mowed down a few tourists! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

newman10 wrote: »

On of his sons has taken the seat and he sure has some massive shoes to fill.

That corner also seems to be a new spot for a Garda Checkpoint, right on the turn, outside theHandystores, drivers have no-where to go but into the checkpoint - perfect :)

In fairness though, drivers do take that turn way-too fast so knowing the lights are there should control speed there and then with the chance of a checkpoint at any time ... it's about time progress has been made at that section in my opinion.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    That corner also seems to be a new spot for a Garda Checkpoint, right on the turn, outside theHandystores, drivers have no-where to go but into the checkpoint - perfect :)

In fairness though, drivers do take that turn way-too fast so knowing the lights are there should control speed there and then with the chance of a checkpoint at any time ... it's about time progress has been made at that section in my opinion.

But if you are going around the 'roundabout' there's no warning that there is a traffic light there. I can just see that there will be a green man, pedestrians crossing and a car ploughing into them. It's positioning still doesn't make sense to me.

I've lost count the number of times I've had to jump off the zebra crossing (or is it pelican!??!) opposite at the Plaza.

But if you are going around the 'roundabout' there's no warning that there is a traffic light there. I can just see that there will be a green man, pedestrians crossing and a car ploughing into them. It's positioning still doesn't make sense to me.

I've lost count the number of times I've had to jump off the zebra crossing (or is it pelican!??!) opposite at the Plaza.

Their is no warning-signs there yet! Remember that the lights are not even up yet, never mind switched on and working ... it is still work-in-progress. I'm full sure all safety measures will be taken care of in good time.

As for cars ploughing into pedestrians? You serious here or is that an off-the-cuff remark? How many pedestrian accidents are you aware of at that section since it's erection? I've seen speed there but no accidents myself.

Also, I have to ask: how or why have you had to jump off that crossing opposite the Plaza? For what reason?

Its neither, I dont think its legally enforceable either (but I'm sure someone "in the know" will correct me). A zebra crossing has the stripped crosswalk and flashing amber lights and a pelican crossing has traffic lights that are only for the pedestrian crossing. I'm not sure that the crossings with 2 white lines have any legal basis???

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Their is no warning-signs there yet! Remember that the lights are not even up yet, never mind switched on and working ... it is still work-in-progress. I'm full sure all safety measures will be taken care of in good time.

As for cars ploughing into pedestrians? You serious here or is that an off-the-cuff remark? How many pedestrian accidents are you aware of at that section since it's erection? I've seen speed there but no accidents myself.

Also, I have to ask: how or why have you had to jump off that crossing opposite the Plaza? For what reason?

Maybe I should have said 'ploughing past'?! I'm prone to a bit of exaggeration now to make up for my lack of ability to describe fully.
    Let me try here:
    I’d be walking from the direction of the Plaza to cross the road. There’s usually a queue of traffic on the Plaza side. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve hand to run when I get half way with the traffic (coming from the left) just sailing through without noticing that they are meant to yield/stop. This would be local and rental cars. I don’t think this is linked to the positioning of the lights but the lack of observation of the drivers.
    It’s the same at the ‘painted on the road’ roundabout by countess/Muckross road.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hi lads, just wondering if anyone knows if there's a go-kart track in, or close to, Killarney. Failing that, any recommedation for something for five lads to do on a Saturday afternoon besides drinking?

• Advertisement

Maybe I should have said 'ploughing past'?! I'm prone to a bit of exaggeration now to make up for my lack of ability to describe fully.
    Let me try here:
    I’d be walking from the direction of the Plaza to cross the road. There’s usually a queue of traffic on the Plaza side. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve hand to run when I get half way with the traffic (coming from the left) just sailing through without noticing that they are meant to yield/stop. This would be local and rental cars. I don’t think this is linked to the positioning of the lights but the lack of observation of the drivers.
    It’s the same at the ‘painted on the road’ roundabout by countess/Muckross road.

*flashing lightbulb* - I know where you're coming from now :)

I have seen that myself too. As a walker/jogger who is regularly on that road I have seen it myself on more occasions than I care to remember. Although, when most people see me approaching the crossing whilst jogging they do tend to hold back and wave me on instead of leaving me wait.

As a driver also I have seen many people drive on regardless of whether people are at the crossing or not. On one occasion I was passenger and the driver kept going so I asked "why didn't you stop to let them cross?" and the reply was "well, they weren't ON the line waiting to cross" - don't get me started on that argument!

I put it down to pure ignorance of some people. I often find tourists are more observant and polite at pedestrian crossings than some locals are.

Advertisement