Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Killarney Town Council has refused planning permission for the 38 metre high observation wheel in the town centre. I personally am delighted with this news as that money could be better spent elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Killarney Town Council has refused planning permission for the 38 metre high observation wheel in the town centre. I personally am delighted with this news as that money could be better spent elsewhere.

It'll probably end up being spent on nappies for the Jarvies knowing the KTC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

PaulieC wrote: »
    It'll probably end up being spent on nappies for the Jarvies knowing the KTC

The wheel was a private venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Are the jarveys going up behind Torc waterfall (the Kerry way route, I don't know the proper name of the route)? I was behind one the other day going up the hill.

Just as a matter of interest - what would people like to see going into the outlet centre?? It's clearly being underutilised and there's plenty of room for shops, but which ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

Just as a matter of interest - what would people like to see going into the outlet centre?? It's clearly being underutilised and there's plenty of room for shops, but which ones?

realistically who would want one of those units, the passing trade would not encourage many to invest time and finance in what has become in my opinion a bit of a pink elephant , deerpark has taken the heart out of killarney much as manor west has to tralee.all you have to do is look around town at the many empty and closing down shops . i think possibly that killarney is going to pay for its somewhat greedy nature of the past . beautifull town and surrounds etc but always bit too pricey for everything and in this economic situation this wont wash , but this as i say is only my opinion for what it is worth ( probably nothing you might say ) but i have been saying this to myself for at least last ten years or so . every thing from price of cup of coffee to a meal to a room for the night to entry to nightclubs to price of a drink amongst others has always been too dear for what is at the end of the day a small town , sorry if i offended anybody but these are just my opinions:D

As ciaeim said, there's no passing trade, so it would have to be a brand that would draw customers in just by it's reputation alone such as Dunnes or Pennys. I can't think of any brand though, since there is a Dunnes and a Pennys in town.

ciaeim wrote: »
    realistically who would want one of those units, the passing trade would not encourage many to invest time and finance in what has become in my opinion a bit of a pink elephant , deerpark has taken the heart out of killarney much as manor west has to tralee.all you have to do is look around town at the many empty and closing down shops . i think possibly that killarney is going to pay for its somewhat greedy nature of the past . beautifull town and surrounds etc but always bit too pricey for everything and in this economic situation this wont wash , but this as i say is only my opinion for what it is worth ( probably nothing you might say ) but i have been saying this to myself for at least last ten years or so . every thing from price of cup of coffee to a meal to a room for the night to entry to nightclubs to price of a drink amongst others has always been too dear for what is at the end of the day a small town , sorry if i offended anybody but these are just my opinions:D

No need to apologise to anyone ciaeim, seriously, you have hit the nail on the head.

If it were up to me I would demolish the building in the morning and give the surrounding views/backdrop back to the people.

Agree totally - Killarney is far too pricey, especially the entry to nightclubs. Mustangs was €10 last time I went there and its like a fúckin creche in there. TBF though - I head to the crypt thesedays because there's people my own age there and it's only €5 - even though it's not the best nightclub I still have good nights out there.
    kerry4sam wrote: »
    If it were up to me I would demolish the building in the morning and give the surrounding views/backdrop back to the people.

I'd agree with this completely unless you could get some decent brands in there along the lines of Mahon Point - Lifestyle Sports, Champion Sports, some other food chain instead of the horribly overpriced O'Briens Sandwiches. Instead it's full of shíte like the Army shop there.

I think it had potential but it hasn't been reached atall - it's such a useless building tbh

• Advertisement

Killarney jarveys lose High Court challenge:

A group of jarveys who brought a legal challenge to a ban on them using Killarney National Park in a row over the use of dung catchers for their horses have lost their High Court Case...

from http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0513/killarney.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I don't understand why the jarvey's think they have a right to foul the roads with their horse dung.
    However I really don't understand why the residents of Killarney allow them to do so. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

the jarveys were in killarney long before a lot of the shops and businesses, they are part of killarney, and this should not change, would it not be a better idea if the jarvey pick up after horse, have something to pick it up and put in an airtight container, so thay can get rid of it later, just an idea, but killarney, the lakes of killarney, the gap of dunloe, muckross house and the jarveys were always part and parcel of killarney, and that should remain,

goat2 wrote: »
    the jarveys were in killarney long before a lot of the shops and businesses, they are part of killarney, and this should not change, would it not be a better idea if the jarvey pick up after horse, have something to pick it up and put in an airtight container, so thay can get rid of it later, just an idea, but killarney, the lakes of killarney, the gap of dunloe, muckross house and the jarveys were always part and parcel of killarney, and that should remain,

I was under the impression this is what the jarveys are going against - basically nappies for the horse like they have in Central Park in NYC iirc. They can dispose of them later then :confused:
    One of my mates does jarveying and it's a taboo topic with him but on the one occasion I talked to him about it he said he though it was a good idea - he just wouldn't pay for the equipment i.e. nappies, storage compartment(whatever it may be) - according to him if the council want the problem solved so badly they'll pay for it.

I don't really know what to make of it. During the summer Killarney's such a beautiful place but the shíte on the roads is terrible and reflects badly on the town imo.

If anybody can shed further light on what's going on I'd appreciate it - as I said, my knowledge isn't great on the whole topic

I was under the impression this is what the jarveys are going against - basically nappies for the horse like they have in Central Park in NYC iirc. They can dispose of them later then :confused:
    One of my mates does jarveying and it's a taboo topic with him but on the one occasion I talked to him about it he said he though it was a good idea - he just wouldn't pay for the equipment i.e. nappies, storage compartment(whatever it may be) - according to him if the council want the problem solved so badly they'll pay for it.

I don't really know what to make of it. During the summer Killarney's such a beautiful place but the shíte on the roads is terrible and reflects badly on the town imo.

If anybody can shed further light on what's going on I'd appreciate it - as I said, my knowledge isn't great on the whole topic

if that is his grief
    the carpenter buys his own tools
    the guest house owner buys their own bins and pay for them
    it is his business run as a business
    so he should be buying the equipment to run it, and not depend on taxpayers to foot the bill for him, then if that is the case he should be shut down , if he does not abide by the laws.
    we all have to follow rules

goat2 wrote: »
    if that is his grief
    the carpenter buys his own tools
    the guest house owner buys their own bins and pay for them
    it is his business run as a business
    so he should be buying the equipment to run it, and not depend on taxpayers to foot the bill for him, then if that is the case he should be shut down , if he does not abide by the laws.
    we all have to follow rules

Like the post said - that's his point of view - not mine, of course they should pay for it ffs - it's like asking the council to pay for the horses oats as far as I'm concerned. I will say again - this is what I understand the grievance to be about, had that conversation in December, alot may have changed since then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Like the post said - that's his point of view - not mine, of course they should pay for it ffs - it's like asking the council to pay for the horses oats as far as I'm concerned. I will say again - this is what I understand the grievance to be about, had that conversation in December, alot may have changed since then

Matches with what I've heard about this as well combined with the fact that some of the jarvies seem to believe they have some sort of greater entitlement to the National Park than others.

Not surprised their case was thrown out.

I wonder how the jarvies reacted if the National Park started to charge them access fees for their use of the national park? Basically they are using a state resource for free in order to make money. I wonder if someone set up guided walking tours around Muckross House would they be let away with this?

Matches with what I've heard about this as well combined with the fact that some of the jarvies seem to believe they have some sort of greater entitlement to the National Park than others.

Not surprised their case was thrown out.

I wonder how the jarvies reacted if the National Park started to charge them access fees for their use of the national park? Basically they are using a state resource for free in order to make money. I wonder if someone set up guided walking tours around Muckross House would they be let away with this?
    that lets me think, thay had it too good for too long, i do not pity them, they are in business, they have to run that business to certain standards
    if not, they should shut shop

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Just reading the last few posts made me sit down and think of who have closed in the last 12 / 18 months. Feel free to ad to the list because I am sure that I have omitted some. It is a SERIOUS PROBLEM that we have not thought about :confused::(:mad::(:confused::(:mad:

Baby Shop (near Envy New St)
    Frameworks (New St)
    Style Room (New St)
    Graffiti (New St)
    Mods n Minis (New St)
    €2 Shop (New St)
    Adams
    Danny Healy (New St)
    Internet Cafe (New St)
    Eugene Ferris Photo
    Trigger Happy (High St)
    LOCS Cafe
    Smart Custom
    Mrs Quinn Charity (strong rumour)
    Cetic Discount (High St)
    Newsprint (High St / Main St)
    Natural Herb Store (Glebe Lane)
    Brian James (Plunkett St) Now smaller in Main St
    Bobby Kelly (Plunket St)
    Photo Shop (Plunket St)
    Quills Craft shops (2 Plunket St)
    Quills Craft Shop (Main St)
    Frame Shop (Tesco Arcade)
    Curtain Shop (Innisfallon Mall)
    Flower Shop (Innisfallon Mall)
    Shyne Smoothie Bar
    Ladies Boutique/Shoe Shop (Arbutus Hotel)
    Gerry the Butcher
    Jean Scene (Deerpark)
    Bag Shop (Deerpark)

newman10 wrote: »
    Just reading the last few posts made me sit down and think of who have closed in the last 12 / 18 months. Feel free to ad to the list because I am sure that I have omitted some. It is a SERIOUS PROBLEM that we have not thought about :confused::(:mad::(:confused::(:mad:

glad to see that my post seems to have got people to sit down and think a bit ;) heres a few more to add to list although not entirely sure of exact timeframe but most if not all within supposed celtic tiger era.

o learys electrical
    west end petrol and shop
    randles petrol and shop
    hegartys petrol
    torc hotel
    park place hotel
    abrakedabra ( spelling )
    courtneys petrol and shop
    leanes shop
    bank of ierland
    national irish bank ( shortly )
    anchor bar (think thats the name)
    sherkan indian restaurant ( and italian that it became afterwards )
    and many others that i am sure that escape me at this moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

glad to see that my post seems to have got people to sit down and think a bit ;) heres a few more to add to list although not entirely sure of exact timeframe but most if not all within supposed celtic tiger era.

o learys electrical Now Quills Aran Shop
    west end petrol and shop Now O Sullivan Cycles
    randles petrol and shop Space needed for Car Sales
    hegartys petrol Tesco
    torc hotel Was to become a Shopping Centre
    park place hotel Now Park Place Apts
    abrakedabra ( spelling ) Now Paddy Power
    courtneys petrol and shop
    leanes shop
    bank of ierland ??????
    national irish bank ( shortly )
    anchor bar (think thats the name) Closed for years
    sherkan indian restaurant ( and italian that it became afterwards )
    and many others that i am sure that escape me at this moment

I didnt have to think too much but my list would be a a result of the SH1t that we are in now. Not too many Pubs/Nightclubs in it

Also I forgot to say that Quills seem to be in meltdown at this time.

Tumbleweeds are coming

sorry AIB bank is what i meant and randles did not close for space needed but because they could not get anyone to take it on after previous tenants;)

sorry AIB bank is what i meant and randles did not close for space needed but because they could not get anyone to take it on after previous tenants;)

AIB Church place? That didn't close down they simply unified it with the Main St. branch after it was renovated to cut down on costs - was always a bit dumb having such two large branches across the road from each other too imo

AIB Church place? That didn't close down they simply unified it with the Main St. branch after it was renovated to cut down on costs - was always a bit dumb having such two large branches across the road from each other too imo

no doubt it seems dumb to have had two branches across road from each other but they must have had their reasons . they must have surely :D

no doubt it seems dumb to have had two branches across road from each other but they must have had their reasons . they must have surely :D

I know somebody who worked in Main St., got transferred to Church place then two years later or so - the two branches were consolidated - It has to do with AIB changing it's policy towards account management and customer service, makes it easier to do if they're all under the one roof. Plus I'd imagine the renovations were needed to update security features etc. - both Church place and Main St. were beginning to get dated imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I was led to believe that the jarvies were never expected to pay for them. The The National Parks and Wildlife Service said they would pay for them.

Source

oeb wrote: »
    I was led to believe that the jarvies were never expected to pay for them. The The National Parks and Wildlife Service said they would pay for them.

Source

That's a joke - "unsafe and dangerous" - my árse!!

IMO they should have to pay for them and from the sounds of it they just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of cleaning up after themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

This was due to a merger that happened years back between two different banks to form Allied Irish Banks.

http://madprideireland.ie/node/64

If ye are feeling hungry pop to the Mad Pride festival this Saturday. I'm not too keen on the title of the festival, but I'm a fan of the food that's going to be there.

• Advertisement

Baby Shop (near Envy New St)
    Frameworks (New St)
    Style Room (New St)
    Graffiti (New St)
    Mods n Minis (New St)
    €2 Shop (New St)
    Adams
    Danny Healy (New St)
    Internet Cafe (New St)
    Eugene Ferris Photo
    Trigger Happy (High St)
    LOCS Cafe
    Smart Custom
    Mrs Quinn Charity (strong rumour)
    Cetic Discount (High St)
    Newsprint (High St / Main St)
    Natural Herb Store (Glebe Lane)
    Brian James (Plunkett St) Now smaller in Main St
    Bobby Kelly (Plunket St)
    Photo Shop (Plunket St)
    Quills Craft shops (2 Plunket St)
    Quills Craft Shop (Main St)
    Frame Shop (Tesco Arcade)
    Curtain Shop (Innisfallon Mall)
    Flower Shop (Innisfallon Mall)
    Shyne Smoothie Bar
    Ladies Boutique/Shoe Shop (Arbutus Hotel)
    Gerry the Butcher
    Jean Scene (Deerpark)
    Bag Shop (Deerpark)

this is shocking
    anyone send this list to lenihan or cowen as they do not know the devistation this financial crash is having, they could not know,
    it is a shame

Advertisement