Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Oliverdog wrote: »
    We drove past the Jarveys this morning and my wife said "There's one there without his bum-bag on"
    A good expression, I thought.

Just when you think you have heard it all :).

The town is just so much cleaner; hygenic and smelling all the better since their introduction. Defo a big thumbs up from me with regards their full-time implementation after this trial-run ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

huge funeral in killarney last friday anyone know who it was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Just when you think you have heard it all :).

The town is just so much cleaner; hygenic and smelling all the better since their introduction. Defo a big thumbs up from me with regards their full-time implementation after this trial-run ends.
    Obviously we will also be hoping that no one will have been killed or seriously injured by these "dangerous" devices by the end of the trial period.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Does anyone know what the true story about the Liebherr workers is? From the newspapers it sounds as if they are being screwed just to benefit the local hoteliers and publicans?
    Is this correct or is there more to it than that?

Essexboy wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the true story about the Liebherr workers is? From the newspapers it sounds as if they are being screwed just to benefit the local hoteliers and publicans?

Do you have a link for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

It's in this weeks Kerrys Eye,

The factory is closing for the two days of the Irish open so the car park can be used for that. Workers are pissed.

oeb wrote: »
    It's in this weeks Kerrys Eye,

The factory is closing for the two days of the Irish open so the car park can be used for that. Workers are pissed.

I was asking for a link as Essexboy seems to be disputing what he has found out, since he is asking if anyone knows what the TRUE story is. So I wondered what his link is to see another side to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

I think the workers are objecting to the Company insisting that they take the two days from their paid annual leave entitlement.
    If the Company gives all their workers two days extra paid leave, effectively they're paying for the privilege of letting the golf fans use their car park opposite the course.

There are the two sides of the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

Oliverdog wrote: »
    I think the workers are objecting to the Company insisting that they take the two days from their paid annual leave entitlement.
    If the Company gives all their workers two days extra paid leave, effectively they're paying for the privilege of letting the golf fans use their car park opposite the course.

There are the two sides of the argument.

Their would be two sides to the argument IF the company WAS offering two extra paid holidays , but they are NOT .
    the company has known for a long time what their intentions were and refused to let the workers know exactliy what was happening , most of the workers plan out their holidays for the year at the start of the year which is the time the company should have let their workers know what their intentions were regarding this golf tournament , how many workers here would like to be told when they should take their holidays , not that many i am sure . basically in my opinion it should have been discussed far sooner than now and for this i would blame the company , this is only my opinion anyway ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0714/1224274659968.html

the item says the workers are protesting about being forced to take 2 days' off and will picket the Irish Open in protest. They, in turn, are being attacked by someone who will profit from the event.
    The national press often misses the subtleties and nuances of local disputes, and I just wondered if there was more to the row than reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0714/1224274659968.html

the item says the workers are protesting about being forced to take 2 days' off and will picket the Irish Open in protest. They, in turn, are being attacked by someone who will profit from the event.
    The national press often misses the subtleties and nuances of local disputes, and I just wondered if there was more to the row than reported.
    how much revenue will this event bring to killarney in the midst of bad times, this is what we must look at, and how many people will benefit, guesthouses, rent out houses, hotels, bars, nightclubs, souvigner shops, clothes shops, restaurants, grocery shops, taxis, garveys, hairdressers, the list goes on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭OneForTheTeam

Hi, anyone know of any nice b&b near to the town and cheap. Just need a place to kip after a night out on Saturday night.

Also is there something on this weekend hotel prices seem crazy.

there are a few camping sites in killarney, well equipped and safe, if there are a few of ye, buy a tent between ye, there are fine tents going for sale in halfords, once bought you can always use it again and again, before summers out.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭teaholic

Try the Muckross Road for B&Bs, theres a few out that way.

Dont want to start a debate but its the middle of July, hotel prices are going to reflect that.

Anyone go to the new Penneys? Was in there this morning, and was fairly impressed with it, it was busy but not messy, clothes were where they were meant to be and not thrown around the place like you would see in other Penneys when its busy.
    I thought it was well laid out and the staff were very efficient, naturally enough, spent a few quid in there too!!

Theres a new brand I hadnt seen in there before, Limited Edition, it was really nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

goat2 wrote: »
    how much revenue will this event bring to killarney in the midst of bad times, this is what we must look at, and how many people will benefit, guesthouses, rent out houses, hotels, bars, nightclubs, souvigner shops, clothes shops, restaurants, grocery shops, taxis, garveys, hairdressers, the list goes on

All the Liebherr people want is just to go to work. They accept that the car park can't be used and have asked for the provision of a shuttle bus to collect them from a designated spot and bring them to work. I don't see how this is unreasonable. They are also far from opposing the golf event, which is what you seem to be implying in your post.

Does anyone else think that Mustangs really is the spot to be in on Sunday nights now? It has taken over, in all aspects, from McSorley's big time!

All the Liebherr people want is just to go to work. They accept that the car park can't be used and have asked for the provision of a shuttle bus to collect them from a designated spot and bring them to work. I don't see how this is unreasonable. They are also far from opposing the golf event, which is what you seem to be implying in your post.
    i am not emplying anything of the sort,

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Does anyone else think that Mustangs really is the spot to be in on Sunday nights now? It has taken over, in all aspects, from McSorley's big time!

I have noticed a massive drop in the amount of people going to Mcsorelys alright although i only get out on a Tuesday. Is there a reason for this that I have missed? The smoking area in Mcsorelys is amazing and I enjoy it there even tough i dont smoke

I have noticed a massive drop in the amount of people going to Mcsorelys alright although i only get out on a Tuesday. Is there a reason for this that I have missed? The smoking area in Mcsorelys is amazing and I enjoy it there even tough i dont smoke

I don't know what the reason is. Mustangs on Sunday nights seems to be the spot for locals who want to get served at all hours. It used to be the case in McSorleys but now, 4/5/6am leaving Mustangs seems to be the done thing!

... as for McSorleys, I don't know what the story is. I was in there last Thursday and their were a max of 20people in there including staff and band. We had just left theGrand which was mobbed in the front bar for 'thePaddies'.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

The smoking area in Mcsorelys is amazing and I enjoy it there even tough i dont smoke

Really skirting with the law IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Thirtyplus

Heading down for the Irish Open and are staying over on Friday Night.

Where is good to go out on a Friday night in Killarney?

wow, Killarney is really taking a hit over it's prices this week and week-end!

It doesn't seem to matter where I go I'm hearing about it.

Thirtyplus wrote: »
    Heading down for the Irish Open and are staying over on Friday Night.

Where is good to go out on a Friday night in Killarney?

You won't find a quiet bar in town tommorrow. It's a hard call to answer "where is good" because while TheGrand is generally enjoyable on an average week-end, it WILL be thronged this one! Would thronged with people be a positive suitable location for a good place? I can't answer that.

TheGrand / TheKube / ThePlaza / Foley's / Tatlerjacks / Scotts / TheFailte / Murphys are all generally good places though on average nights out, both mid-week and week-ends.

Regardless of where you go to, I hope you head away with some good memories from the town.

wow, Killarney is really taking a hit over it's prices this week and week-end!

It doesn't seem to matter where I go I'm hearing about it.

What did you hear

newman10 wrote: »
    What did you hear

To sum everything up in 1 word newman10 - "extortion"!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

newman10 wrote: »
    Really skirting with the law IMO

I dunno, there are massive openings on the left hand side so it seems ok to me. Thing is ive never seen that area busy enough for it to effect me so....
    btw i must admit Killarney looked absoloutly fantastic over the weekend. nice to see a proper buzz around.

btw i must admit Killarney looked absoloutly fantastic over the weekend. nice to see a proper buzz around.

I completely agree, unbelievable atmosphere everywhere. It truly was an amazing week for Killarney & a well done to everyone who helped make it so.

very interesting that 5 teenagers died around Killarney and no one has seen fit to comment on what has happened :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 room670

the big church is the Cathedral

• Advertisement

room670 wrote: »
    the big church is the Cathedral

:rolleyes: well this ain't half-random at all.

Advertisement