Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

newman10 wrote: »
    very interesting that 5 teenagers died around Killarney and no one has seen fit to comment on what has happened :confused::confused:

I have my own personal reasons. I would say that their are very few local people who didn't know at least 1of these kids. May they all Rest In Peace.

Seeing first-hand the varying personal & emotional effects it is having on people of all ages is simply not something I want to write about. Being completely honest, I didn't even think to comment here on boards on what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

I just feel that the whole crash and it effects have been buried and as the parent of teenagers I would be interested in other peoples opinions.

All is not well in this town and I feel that tourism glosses over a lot of our problems

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I just feel that the whole crash and it effects have been buried

IMO it should stay that way - there's controversy surrounding the circumstances of the crash but exploring them on an online forum isn't going to do any good - young people have lost there lives in a tragedy, let sleeping dogs lie as far as I'm concerned.
    All is not well in this town and I feel that tourism glosses over a lot of our problems

It's not quite Wisteria lane but I get what you're saying - the average age of a child around Killarney drinking and smoking weed is falling with every year. Personally, I drank at 16 - now I see 13 year olds demented around the place on Fridays & Saturdays. For me that's the main problem in Killarney atm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

PaulieC wrote: »
    It's not quite Wisteria lane but I get what you're saying - the average age of a child around Killarney drinking and smoking weed is falling with every year. Personally, I drank at 16 - now I see 13 year olds demented around the place on Fridays & Saturdays. For me that's the main problem in Killarney atm

I'm not to far off 30 now, and like you, I started drinking at 16. But certainly when I was 13 I knew kids in my year who drank and smoked weed.

oeb wrote: »
    I'm not to far off 30 now, and like you, I started drinking at 16. But certainly when I was 13 I knew kids in my year who drank and smoked weed.

Can any of you guys think of ways to combat this or curtail this from happening as I seriously don't foresee this culture in Killarney stopping any time soon.

• Advertisement

I just feel that the whole crash and it effects have been buried and as the parent of teenagers I would be interested in other peoples opinions.

I can see where you're coming from, but I don't agree with discussing events as tragic as this on an online forum.

How do you mean that tourism glosses over a lot of our problems though? Would you mind going into that for me.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Can any of you guys think of ways to combat this or curtail this from happening as I seriously don't foresee this culture in Killarney stopping any time soon.

Not really, it's a bit tricky to combat when faced with the apparent apathy of their parents. I know exactly what my dad would have said to me if I wanted to go hang around town at midnight on a Friday at 12 or 13. And I know that there is not a hope in hell that my young fella will not be wandering the streets at that age.

Do we have some sort of ASBO system here like in England? It would be useful to have some sort of mechanism where the parent could be fined for their child being drunk and disorderly etc. Might encourage stricter parenting.

As I mentioned though, I don't think it's necessarily getting worse, I think we just notice it more because we are older.

How do you mean that tourism glosses over a lot of our problems though? Would you mind going into that for me.

Killarney is sold a beautiful place (which it is) but when tourism is taken out of the local economy imo we are on very thin ice. I remember when the old Torc Hotel was a training venue for people who wanted employment within the hospitality sector.

We have no industrial presence(outside of Liebherr) and our service sector is nil. Retail is falling apart. The tourist buzz around the town may give the impression that all is ok within.

There is a undercurrent in society which is manifested through the actions of our youth which is glossed over.

Not one of us who have an interest in this thread posted our condolences to the families involved:o

I can see where you're coming from, but I don't agree with discussing events as tragic as this on an online forum.

Where else can we discuss these events ??

Where else can we discuss these events ??
    Not one of us who have an interest in this thread posted our condolences to the families involved:o

I didn't post my condolences on here, but I done it in person instead for those concerned and involved.

I just don't agree with commenting on such a tragic event online, but each to their own. I saw the thread over in motors about it alright but it thought to just read and not comment there also.

• Advertisement

Killarney is sold a beautiful place (which it is) but when tourism is taken out of the local economy imo we are on very thin ice. I remember when the old Torc Hotel was a training venue for people who wanted employment within the hospitality sector.

We have no industrial presence(outside of Liebherr) and our service sector is nil. Retail is falling apart. The tourist buzz around the town may give the impression that all is ok within.

There is a undercurrent in society which is manifested through the actions of our youth which is glossed over.

Oh man you have brought back some memories now with Torc Hotel, what a waste of land that is there now, even when the circus is in town (literally) they can't seem to make much money in there!

I won't be in Killarney much this coming Winter or Spring, thankfully as a change is needed by me, but everything seems to have cut back so early this year in comparison to previous years (even kids clubs in hotels) and the mid-term in October doesn't look to promising right now. That could change though as people are waiting to see what will happen between now and then and if they will have monies for a few days' away.

Yes Killarney has lost it's shine in my eyes aswell and I'm seeing people, situations and events in a light that is demoralising to say the least. It is only when you truly go looking for answers, go looking for the truth in people, situations and events that you see things the way they truly are and Killarney just ain't looking too promising for the next 2-3years at the very least in my opinion.

Not really, it's a bit tricky to combat when faced with the apparent apathy of their parents. I know exactly what my dad would have said to me if I wanted to go hang around town at midnight on a Friday at 12 or 13. And I know that there is not a hope in hell that my young fella will not be wandering the streets at that age.

Do we have some sort of ASBO system here like in England? It would be useful to have some sort of mechanism where the parent could be fined for their child being drunk and disorderly etc. Might encourage stricter parenting.

As I mentioned though, I don't think it's necessarily getting worse, I think we just notice it more because we are older.

Yeah we are getting older and dare I say wiser :rolleyes: when it comes to situations and scenarios like you mention here but so are the powers-that-be in every sense of the word. People are only blind to the truth when they want to be, and this town needs a savage overhaul but that ain't going to happen in my opinion.
    Drive down through down at week-ends, even with the schools re-opened and you'll still see the same as was seen during the summer months.
    Why? Why won't it change? Will it ever change? Are people willing to step in with measures to prevent or at the very least curtail? It hasn't been done to date and the powers-that-be in every sense hasn't changed much in Killarney so I don't foresee circumstances changing either.

Yeah we are getting older and dare I say wiser :rolleyes: when it comes to situations and scenarios like you mention here but so are the powers-that-be in every sense of the word. People are only blind to the truth when they want to be, and this town needs a savage overhaul but that ain't going to happen in my opinion.
    Drive down through down at week-ends, even with the schools re-opened and you'll still see the same as was seen during the summer months.
    Why? Why won't it change? Will it ever change? Are people willing to step in with measures to prevent or at the very least curtail? It hasn't been done to date and the powers-that-be in every sense hasn't changed much in Killarney so I don't foresee circumstances changing either.

But it's hardly only Killarney that's like this. Is it?

But it's hardly only Killarney that's like this. Is it?

no.

(deleted my little rant!)

Well I'm only 22 but I didn't know anybody my age smoking weed at 13 so I'm a bit shocked to hear that tbh

The only way of preventing it is the guards - they know full well that young fellas are drinking in the Demesne, Quills lane and Deerpark pitch and putt but they couldn't give enough of a shíte to go up there.

I will concede that I don't blame the guards for not wanting to chase after little fúckers every friday night but at the end of the day it's part and parcel of what they're paid to do.

I will concede that I don't blame the guards for not wanting to chase after little fúckers every friday night but at the end of the day it's part and parcel of what they're paid to do.

But come on, this is really something that should be sorted at home. If your 14 or 15 year old is wandering in pissed at 2am Saturday morning, then you stop leaving them go out Friday night. The cops can't be everywhere, and from what I remember about being a teenager, kids are very good at finding places to drink and smoke weed.

Well I'm only 22 but I didn't know anybody my age smoking weed at 13 so I'm a bit shocked to hear that tbh

The only way of preventing it is the guards - they know full well that young fellas are drinking in the Demesne, Quills lane and Deerpark pitch and putt but they couldn't give enough of a shíte to go up there.

But come on, this is really something that should be sorted at home. If your 14 or 15 year old is wandering in pissed at 2am Saturday morning, then you stop leaving them go out Friday night. The cops can't be everywhere, and from what I remember about being a teenager, kids are very good at finding places to drink and smoke weed.

Their is more than one way to view a situation and incident and their is more than one way to solve a problem or scenarios like this.
    Yes the guards in Killarney could really be doing a heck of a lot more than what they are currently doing (and not just in dealing with what is mentioned here)
    but also
    Yes both parents and teachers alike have their own roles to play aswell, whether it reduces their popularity or not!

With the lack of places for large numbers of young people to congregate safely; lack of activities available for people with time to pass; basicly lack of town amenities in general then all above especially have to take on a tougher role, take a tougher stance than what it presently being taken. It won't eliminate incidents like those mentioned here, possibly stem but it surely won't elevate or spread the problem. Everyone will agree that something has to be done - but will it? I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

as a parent i can only think of one

we should know that we cannot put an old head on young shoulders
    and i cannot think of why 15 year olds are not in their beds before 12 midnight
    it is our place to know where they are
    so i do beleive everything starts at home and ground rules should be set at home
    after all when we go out in the world we have to abide by rules

it has been a very sad time this past week, and everyone is shocked and saddened by this

I agree completely that parents need to be alot harder on these children/teenagers - but how can you combat that - if parents are going to loosely apply rules for their offspring to abide by then they're going to take advantage of it, how do you make parents stricter?

Fair point about kids being good at finding places to drink but as far as I'm concerned, in Killarney, they only seem to be going to the same places - the guards know about this and still aren't doing anything about it - I mean Quills lane is in the middle of town and there's always young people drinking there, the ESB carpark and Deerpark also. Even if they just disrupt them on a continual basis they'll be stopping youths regularly getting pissed and while they may find new places to drink at least they'll be sending out a message to the town that they're attempting to curtail something that's been a big problem for quite some time now.

Fair point about kids being good at finding places to drink but as far as I'm concerned, in Killarney, they only seem to be going to the same places - the guards know about this and still aren't doing anything about it - I mean Quills lane is in the middle of town and there's always young people drinking there, the ESB carpark and Deerpark also. Even if they just disrupt them on a continual basis they'll be stopping youths regularly getting pissed and while they may find new places to drink at least they'll be sending out a message to the town that they're attempting to curtail something that's been a big problem for quite some time now.

but then looking at this another way: Yes the guards know what it going on, who is involved and where it is happening. (Those that don't need to brush up on their communication skills)
    By knowing where it is happening and not intervening, the location remains the same and they keep an eye from a distance. By intervening and breaking events up it is making their job harder as they will then have to find the new spots being used etc etc. It would be moving scenarios like these onto other places.

So in essence: will the guards intervening actually help scenarios like this?

• Advertisement

So in essence: will the guards intervening actually help scenarios like this?

It could - it's 50/50, If the guards are aware and watching from a distance then they should be able to see young people falling all over town demented drunk - why not pick them up, drop them home, have a word with the parents who're most likely oblivious the the fact that they're drinking in the first place - and let the parents do the rest.

I've always maintained that if I have kids I'd let them drink a small bit at 16/17 at home - let them build up a bit of a tolerance under my supervision because, imo, the problem with young people - and it happened me - was that I'd never drank before going out with my mates and I didn't know my limit. I know it's idealistic but I always felt that if my parents had trusted me with drink at 16/17 - at home, then I'd have had a more mature outlook on things when I went to college etc. and could've saved myself a fortune on Neurofen for the hangovers I self inflicted on a regular basis!

It could - it's 50/50, If the guards are aware and watching from a distance then they should be able to see young people falling all over town demented drunk - why not pick them up, drop them home, have a word with the parents who're most likely oblivious the the fact that they're drinking in the first place - and let the parents do the rest.

Ah now seriously, the guards are not babysitters and nor should they be treated as such.

Having the kids arrive home in a squad car, that should be utilised elsewhere like at one of several checkpoints to test for drink-drivers etc, and telling the parents what little molly or jim-bob were upto, and then hoping to have a discussion at that hour in a reasonable manner is just not realistically going to pan out.

What they should do and I don't know if they all do this or not, but talk to their parents themselves directly during reasonable hours about what the beloved kids are doing and where.

goat2 wrote: »
    as a parent i can only think of one

we should know that we cannot put an old head on young shoulders
    and i cannot think of why 15 year olds are not in their beds before 12 midnight
    it is our place to know where they are
    so i do beleive everything starts at home and ground rules should be set at home
    after all when we go out in the world we have to abide by rules

it has been a very sad time this past week, and everyone is shocked and saddened by this
    I agree completely that parents need to be alot harder on these children/teenagers - but how can you combat that - if parents are going to loosely apply rules for their offspring to abide by then they're going to take advantage of it, how do you make parents stricter?

The question in bold here is the real question that lies at the heart of this. Can it / How could that ever be done though?

Ah now seriously, the guards are not babysitters and nor should they be treated as such.

Having the kids arrive home in a squad car, that should be utilised elsewhere like at one of several checkpoints to test for drink-drivers etc, and telling the parents what little molly or jim-bob were upto, and then hoping to have a discussion at that hour in a reasonable manner is just not realistically going to pan out.

What they should do and I don't know if they all do this or not, but talk to their parents themselves directly during reasonable hours about what the beloved kids are doing and where.

Are you unaware that the paddywagon in Killarney is, in essence, a taxi? I know multiple fellas and girls also, who've been taken home in a cut by the guards and dropped to the door - all the guards need to do imo is ring the doorbell - you're right that it's not a reasonable hour - maybe the parents will see this and realise that having a 14/15 year old out drunk at that time isn't on

The question in bold here is the real question that lies at the heart of this. Can it / How could that ever be done though?

Agreed - but there's two problems with trying to reach out to parents about this matter - they think they're brilliant parents and will take offence to anything said to the contrary, and they firmly believe their children are angels who can do no wrong

Punish parents for the sins of the child.

I don't care how harsh it sounds, as a guardian you are responsible for the welfare of the child until they turn 18. Leaving them hang around town drunk at 1.30 on a Saturday morning is not responsible behaviour. Fines should be established for stuff like this. (Especially for repeat offenders).

That's how you make parents stricter, tell em it will cost them 80 euros if they are not. Same way you get them to pay attention to how fast they are driving or where they are parking.

Are you unaware that the paddywagon in Killarney is, in essence, a taxi? I know multiple fellas and girls also, who've been taken home in a cut by the guards and dropped to the door - all the guards need to do imo is ring the doorbell - you're right that it's not a reasonable hour - maybe the parents will see this and realise that having a 14/15 year old out drunk at that time isn't on

What if something happened when they were dropping the youths home? What if one of the youths made accusations? So so many scenarios possible in situations like that.

It is not what they there for but yes it is what happens alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

The only way of preventing it is the guards -
    the parents are the ones who should be preventing this no one else

they know full well that young fellas are drinking in the Demesne, Quills lane and Deerpark pitch and putt but they couldn't give enough of a shíte to go up there.
    well then why do the parents not go there themselves and catch their little tom or mary red handed and bring them home by the scruff of the neck, and ground them,

I will concede that I don't blame the guards for not wanting to chase after little fúckers every friday night
    why should they, these are children who should be home

but at the end of the day it's part and parcel of what they're paid to do.
    they are paid to keep law and order

but where there is no law and order in the home, how do any one expect the guards to do it, after all we are fully responsible for our childrens where abouts and actions until they reach 18

goat2 wrote: »
    but where there is no law and order in the home, how do any one expect the guards to do it, after all we are fully responsible for our childrens where abouts and actions until they reach 18

As I said in an earlier post - alot of parents are oblivious to the fact that their children are drinking not to mind the hot spots, the guards do. If I was a parent and I got wind my child was drinking in the demesne I would go down, but like I said, the guards know about it, alot of parents don't.

You're right - the guards are there to protect our laws - so underage drinking in public constitutes a breakage - hence they should be doing something about it.

Don't make it out like I'm saying this is all the guards fault, the book stops at the parents and how they control their children but the guards don't appear to even be trying from what I can see and that's what's annoying me.

• Advertisement

People here are talking about the parents and the lack of control/knowledge of childs where-abouts ---> to the end result with people looking at the local guards to ultimately take responsibility for the safety of these children and take them home...
    If we leave the time of day out of this for a moment and focus on the 'middle-man'...
    'the middle-man', the supplier of the drink and drugs to the underage which leads to the above.

Their are some people in Killarney who know who is selling to the underage and are yet keeping quiet! How come they are not being brought into question here? How come they are not being brought to account for their actions? They are the one's that I primarily take issue with.

Advertisement