Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Their are some people in Killarney who know who is selling to the underage and are yet keeping quiet! How come they are not being brought into question here? How come they are not being brought to account for their actions? They are the one's that I primarily take issue with.

The way it was when I was there age is we just paid an 18 year old or one of the other older looking sixth years to buy it for us. Would not be supprised if it was still the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

oeb wrote: »
    The way it was when I was there age is we just paid an 18 year old or one of the other older looking sixth years to buy it for us. Would not be supprised if it was still the same way.

It is either that or they are bringing from home. If it is from the middle-man, what I want to know is how come nobody is bringing that person into this conversation. It the drink and drugs wasn't reasily available from them, then the town mightn't be in the state it is with regards the youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I wandered in to this thread because I spent a few days walking around Killarney this week - interesting discussion - When I am king, I'll make all sellers of alcohol micro-dot their wares on the shelves, so that the guards can know who is selling to minors by scanning the cans & bottles that the youngsters are drinking. Microdotting is a cheap technology that works. It mightn't be enough to prosecute shops or remove their licence but it would let the guards know where the teenagers were buying the alcohol and act as a deterrent to the shops.

I wandered in to this thread because I spent a few days walking around Killarney this week

on a change of topic :Welcome to the Killarney thread: I'd like to ask you were your days here for work or pleasure? Is their any feedback you would like to share that you feel could be of benefit to Killarney either now or in the longer-term?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I'd like to praise the man wearing the hi-vis vest that I've now seen 3 times in the last couple of weeks on the Tralee Road out of Killarney picking up rubbish from the road side. I've seen him do it in three different locations, so it's not as if he's just picking up rubbish outside his house, and he doesn't work for the council from what I can see as he's on his own without anyone helping him (usually them work in pairs and have a van nearby).

If only we all could be like this man (says me sitting on my backside!) then our county would be a far better place for ourselves and our visitors.

Fair play to you sir!

• Advertisement

Frogdog wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I'd like to praise the man wearing the hi-vis vest that I've now seen 3 times in the last couple of weeks on the Tralee Road out of Killarney picking up rubbish from the road side. I've seen him do it in three different locations, so it's not as if he's just picking up rubbish outside his house, and he doesn't work for the council from what I can see as he's on his own without anyone helping him (usually them work in pairs and have a van nearby).

If only we all could be like this man (says me sitting on my backside!) then our county would be a far better place for ourselves and our visitors.

Fair play to you sir!

That man is Cllr Michael Gleeson. He does trojan work around all of Killarney, more often than not all on his own in all weather conditions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Does anyone know of any barbers/hairdressers in Killarney town? Just moved up by Tescos and need a haircut!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

That man is Cllr Michael Gleeson. He does trojan work around all of Killarney, more often than not all on his own in all weather conditions too.

An absolute gent of a man - he's involved with my football club Spa and I don't know how he fits all the good work his day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

kaji wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any barbers/hairdressers in Killarney town? Just moved up by Tescos and need a haircut!!
    Try Julies on High St, across the road from Penneys. €14.50 for a haircut if memory serves me right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

oh, I had just assumed it was someone doing Community Service (of the handed-down-by-the-courts-type, not the voluntary kind) :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

What a ledgend, he taught me in primary school and would still stop to have a few words with me in the street.
    also quite possibly one of the most inept councillors aswell, always has good ideas :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

dmeehan wrote: »
    oh, I had just assumed it was someone doing Community Service (of the handed-down-by-the-courts-type, not the voluntary kind) :-)
    What a ledgend, he taught me in primary school and would still stop to have a few words with me in the street.
    also quite possibly one of the most inept councillors aswell, always has good ideas :):)

:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

:) Was wondering about that but presumed he meant adept.

Well well! Look who found his way back to the Killarney thread :p

yes!!, the lack of sleep is getting the better of me:(:(

Well well! Look who found his way back to the Killarney thread :p
    :) Well, said I'd better stick the head in and keep up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 PROV2

oeb wrote: »
    But come on, this is really something that should be sorted at home. If your 14 or 15 year old is wandering in pissed at 2am Saturday morning, then you stop leaving them go out Friday night. The cops can't be everywhere, and from what I remember about being a teenager, kids are very good at finding places to drink and smoke weed.
    Well said. Your young lad will do ok!
    If a few more parents did this, then there'd be far less teenagers wrapping cars around trees or ending up dead by canals.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

congratulations to Killarney Tidy Towns.

You did us proud :)

Their is some nice bit of banter round town with the Cork folk, massive sense of humor as always :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Better get back to primary school again with you it seems! :D

• Advertisement

Better get back to primary school again with you it seems! :D
    wouldnt hurt i suppose ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Heading to Killarney this weekend from Dublin, any events taking place that would be worth popping in to?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

yay! Street View is working in Killarney on Google Maps! My car is parked in work AND at home! Ha Ha.

... Garda Community Safety Week which ran until Sunday September 26th.

Community Gardaí engaged with members of the public to deliver a series of crime prevention and community safety messages.

Kerry events included Community Alert and Neighborhood Watch meetings and the circulation of new crime prevention and community safety advice leaflets to the public.

from Killarney Advertiser week 39

More of this type of visibility is needed in my opinion, but for now, well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

Just looking at the Google maps. Is there anyone old enough to remember when Killarney Saddlery at 72 New Street was Our Lady's Nursing Home?
    Half the town was delivered there back in the day.

An absolutely special piece on RadioKerry right now about Down Syndrome Ireland and Deenagh Lodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

An absolutely special piece on RadioKerry right now about Down Syndrome Ireland and Deenagh Lodge.

I caught bits of it when I was in my parents house earlier.
    I presume that's the cafe place in the national park, I have enjoyed their hospitality in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Their is some nice bit of banter round town with the Cork folk, massive sense of humor as always :)
    Has the banter been better or worse since Sam arrived in Cork?

overmantle wrote: »
    Has the banter been better or worse since Sam arrived in Cork?

It is never going to change I would imagine! Always good ;)

• Advertisement

So whats happening around for the Hallowe'en weekend then? Anything interesting that I should be sure to attend?

Advertisement