Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Eamonn. This is my first post on this forum and as a compliment to you - I wanted to go on record that you do a GREAT HAIRCUT!!! Top stylist at a great price!!

Always like the banter and whilst I haven't been in your new premises yet...always got the best of attention when I came in.

Don't take the above poster serious as the saying goes 'you can't please all the people all of the time' !!!! just put it down to a 'Bad Hair Day'. We all have had them...but hair grows back and a bit of gel works wonders. There's always one....!..he probably wanted it short and then regretted it!! Forget it now!!! Just concentrate on that coffee machine.... I like my coffee beans as well!!

Another 'Thumbs Up' from me and hope to get in soon...

Ps... best of luck in the new premises.

Masala

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Xclusiv Barber

Cheers dude, its that sort of attitude that made me give up working 'for the man' in dublin and doin lots of commercial gigs, to move my family to killarney and start up my own place, which took three years from time of moving. And lovin every bit of it. Hope u like the new gaff... Its quite big(very) unlike my last workstation!

ahhh... The town hall, ey? Mr o leary ey? As a new businessman in the town, do u think i got any thanks from them from havin the stones to open a large salon in the main street in a prime location wit a wife and five kids to feed... Erm.. No. I got a letter the day after i opened lookin do a years rates, thats over two grand. And after two weeks, i got a reminder notice. Also they told me if i didnt change permission from restaurant to retail they wil try to close me down. Theres gratitude for u, for opening in a recession. I dont sweat it, they're obviously not in the real world. Anyone in business has to put up wit the same nonsense. The town hall should be on their knees thanking all businesses for being open at all, and doing everything to help us. Unemployment in killarney has increased, since end2008, INCREASED BY....... 98%!!! (that does NOT even count seasonal touristy related employment type stuff)

siblers wrote: »
    Going back to hairdressers (im male btw :P) i go to new strands just below dunnes, My prices are: children schoolgoers 12. everyone else 15.Top stylin products. ur best ever haircut or else its on me free gratis for nowt.

Seen a few people askin "where was i before". Well, moved into sean taaffes in aug07 and set up a barbers in there. Note. There is no longer a barber there.girls hav a million tricks to improve their appearance. We guys have one. Our hair. Even a bespoke suit and snakeskin shoes handstitched by filipino virgins (if thats ur thing) makes no difference if ur hair is pants. Anyway did three years in taaffes so as to be trusted and established by guys in town, wit the view to finally opening the top barbers in kerry and beyond. i worked in two top barbers in dublin. I hav trained many barbers. I've done work for tv movies magazines theatre modelling agencies. Now i'm based in my dream location, downtown killarney.

• Advertisement

Posted twice. See below.

Want to know where the name claude monte came from, anybody know or offering a guess. I can tell u, and i think its hilarious, tho it doesn't take much to make me laugh

dmeehan wrote: »
    I usually go to Julies on high st, and donw the lane before they moved. They charge €14.50

FUNNILY ENOUGH, when i left un-named barbershop no1 , a certain barbers offered me a job which i agreed to. told me to call in that morning. Got in car wit my wife and my gang of small children, anyway got in car drove half hour to killarney 2meet, thinkin wer talkin re start date wages etc. Got there, wife drove around town for a bit. What barber told me was, WOULD HAVE had a job except took on a guy the day before. So there u are, i was supposed to join certain barbers but was shafted and i decided i'd set up my own, I guess i'm grateful to them so?

Error

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 superfives

That last post kind of up there twice. Sorries. Big fingers. Small phone pad.

I'm guessing none of those 700-800 clients have been in to you this morning, good god man lay off the constant posting! And talk about libelous, you've attacked 3 other businesses in less than 24 hours! I understand your a new business and want to get positive things out about your business, but attacking other businesses like this and constant posting isn't the way to do it!

• Advertisement

someones in attack mode today. I hav to lie down. U hav a very cynical way of saying 700-800 superfives. Put the handbag down!! I've only joined boards.ie. I was in hospital this morning and was wiling away the time and posting my thoughts on lots of old posts about me dating back as far as november where guys wer askin each other about me and my shop. so i thought i'd answer those posts meself. Sincere apologies as i seem to hav offended u terribly my good man. I thought the idea was to post as much as u like within reason. I'm merely catching up on questions asked over many months. Ul find i'll only be in and out after that. Perhaps a moderator can inform me if i'm over-posting, as u suggests in which case i'll stop posting. Regarding my posts they are true incidents involving ME so they can hardly be libelous. Dude, its called SATIRE. Life is hard enough dont take it so seriously If you know me which i'm guessing you dont u wud already know my tongue is always firmly planted in my cheek. I'm not a brand new business, i'm newly relocated to my own place. I haven't attacked anyone, i've merely humourously relayed accounts of what lads hav told me about their experiences in my former place of work, plus i've dispelled a lie about me that i'd moved away in order for said place to pinch my customers, again relayed to me otherwise how would i hav known (alls fair in love and war,thats cool, free market an all,.... i'm merely dispellin the lie) plus i told a story about how i drove to killarney for a job interview wit my family in the car for a job the interviewer FORGOT she'd promised me and gave to someone else. Or what, i dont know, i was told to drive to salon for a meeting and one hour later there was someone taken on yesterday. Hey, i'm not bitter, i'm just not that into f*c*king people around .i'm too old now. I take it you dont want to know where claude monte got its name then. (joke, dude.) why not call in and check us out yourself. And im a nice guy, honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Get a blog.

Nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

QUOTE=Sikpupi;68875649]yea...but Eamon could talk for Ireland!! Needs to concentrate on the haircut..

It also looks like he could type for Ireland.Still,gives a decent hair cut and seems to be passionate about what he does.

QUOTE=Sikpupi;68875649]yea...but Eamon could talk for Ireland!! Needs to concentrate on the haircut..

It also looks like he could type for Ireland.Still,gives a decent hair cut and seems to be passionate about what he does.

cheers. Post FF Ireland will need multitaskers!

Only joined thread. replyin to months of things YE lads askin each other about ME, replying meself to them all, in one go like. You dont HAVE to read them!! They will be of interest to some. Plus this thread is quiet today and i had a crappy long hospital appt to kill time. Hope superfives is feeling better after his long lie down.

Five shops closed down in killarney in last few days.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Which ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Killarney town is suffering without doubt....Hotels closed till March... Bars not opening till late afternoon and shops closing at alarming rate....what is left...and Is there an answer to overcome all these problems....i notice another application for an opening of restaurant In Plunkett St ..

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭jrochie

Town is really turning into a ghost town. Tourist season really can't come quick enough for the whole town to inject a bit of life into it again, can't imagine it'll be easy for many of the existing businesses to stay alive until then though.

Its such a shame to,5 years ago Killarney was such thriving town, great for shopping, eating, drinking, pretty much everything. It's happening everywhere, but from what I've seen Killarney is suffering more than most.

• Advertisement

Five shops closed down in killarney in last few days.......

razzle dazzle, roxy, the 2euro shop on beech road (owned by roxy), urban, scarlet ribbon.

razzle dazzle, roxy, the 2euro shop on beech road (owned by roxy), urban, scarlet ribbon.

Has Scarlet Ribbon actually closed? It seems to have been closing for the better part of 12 months!

jrochie wrote: »
    Town is really turning into a ghost town. Tourist season really can't come quick enough for the whole town to inject a bit of life into it again, can't imagine it'll be easy for many of the existing businesses to stay alive until then though.

Its such a shame to,5 years ago Killarney was such thriving town, great for shopping, eating, drinking, pretty much everything. It's happening everywhere, but from what I've seen Killarney is suffering more than most.

you are correct. Killarney IS suffering more than most. Must get some more up to date numbers, but about a year ago in the good old 'we're only slightly fu[k€d' days killarney topped a NATIONAL poll of all towns in the percentage INCREASE in unemployment. The level of increase?.... 98%. And that was a YEAR ago. Want to know what towns, across all ireland, were second and third? 2 kenmare, 96%increase. 3 killorglin, 94%

Has Scarlet Ribbon actually closed? It seems to have been closing for the better part of 12 months!

very true. Sometimes opening in afternoons alright! But I've been watchin it for a few days i can see down into it when i'm on my roof. No, sadly for the nice but eccentric lady who ran it, its gone, its been picked clean inside.

.i wonder has out of town shopping and free parking got some part to play on killarney town.... or is it the high rents and rates demanded on business....

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    .i wonder has out of town shopping and free parking got some part to play on killarney town.... or is it the high rents and rates demanded on business....

rates for sure anyway. i can only speak for myself but the rates are an absolute fu<ker. The town hall don't care, pay us or else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Halo Kitty wrote: »

Don't think deerpark has too much of an effect but Killarney is just totally dead when the schools are open, there is no one around at all but when the shcools are closed for holidays there is huge increase in numbers around town. Remember working in roxys in Killarney the week after say easter holidays and it would just be absolutley dead. What you'd make in a day during school holidays would take about 3/4 days when the schools are open.

Well whatever about the rates, but the high rents can't be completely to blame as I know a few landlords in the town who have helped out their clients and dropped the rent. Then again I also know of a couple of landlords who it would seem would rather have an empty and no rent than to drop what they charge.

I'd say the out of town shopping is a big problem, I do a bit of work in tralee occasionally and see quite a few killarney people shopping over there. I think the biggest problem is that people just aren't spending, especially in Killarney, which is resulting in shops closing, and much less of a choice in the shops that are open. Its a vicious circle because when the shops don't have a wide range of stock its stops people coming in to shop even if they have the money!

Surprised that the business community have not got together and held a meeting with the Town Hall...or have they.... I am sure alot of place could not afford to pay their rates...

• Advertisement

Well whatever about the rates, but the high rents can't be completely to blame as I know a few landlords in the town who have helped out their clients and dropped the rent. Then again I also know of a couple of landlords who it would seem would rather have an empty and no rent than to drop what they charge.

I'd say the out of town shopping is a big problem, I do a bit of work in tralee occasionally and see quite a few killarney people shopping over there. I think the biggest problem is that people just aren't spending, especially in Killarney, which is resulting in shops closing, and much less of a choice in the shops that are open. Its a vicious circle because when the shops don't have a wide range of stock its stops people coming in to shop even if they have the money!

spot on on the rent, its not a huge issue, it'll hurt the landlord more than the tenant. In the main, rents have dropped way down

Advertisement