Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭jrochie

out of curiosity, how many of the regulars here are business owners? Obviously don't expect anyone to give out their real name or business name,but interested to see how many actually are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Xclusiv Barber

jrochie wrote: »
    out of curiosity, how many of the regulars here are business owners? Obviously don't expect anyone to give out their real name or business name,but interested to see how many actually are

i'll start the count. Number1, me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I'm not myself, but my family owns a business in the town centre,

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Wonders how many regulars are here in this Killarney Thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Town has been pretty quiet. I walk through every weekday around 5, absolutely nothing happening.You'd be lucky to see 5 customers in the outlet centre, even burgerking has reduced its hours.

I dont think deerpark is to blame though. Apart from tesco's /m&s, all the other shops are pretty specific in what they're selling.

• Advertisement

oeb wrote: »
    I'm not myself, but my family owns a business in the town centre,

good enough for me! You are part of your family are you not, so you have a large vested interest in the business succeeding

Town has been pretty quiet. I walk through every weekday around 5, absolutely nothing happening.You'd be lucky to see 5 customers in the outlet centre, even burgerking has reduced its hours.

I dont think deerpark is to blame though. Apart from tesco's /m&s, all the other shops are pretty specific in what they're selling.

agreed. And lets face it we badly needed that supersize tesco, and if i'm workin late and then doin the weekly shop it'd be a fu<ker without it. Its everything, rates, child benefit slashed, dole slashed, taxes up vat up, people are not encouraged, more like terrified, to spend. So theres no money going around any more. And theres no money to actually go around in the first place. Just saw a 2011 car... Haven't seen many of THEM!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 one eye

Killarney no thanks. In the late 60's I spent an expensive long weekend there and never went back till 2009. Kris Kristofferson was playing and the kids gave my better half and I tickets for it. We booked into one of the most popular hotels in the town right beside the concert hall. Besides being overpriced (in the grand tradition of Killarney) the room was functional, the food was dreadful (the bacon for breakfast could have been used for replacing broken roof slates).
    I was very impressed with the concert hall (NCIS or something like that).
    But the overall impression was that Killarney has not changed its still an overpriced low value destination. The Americans can have it.
    It took me 40 years for a return visit so as I wont be around in 40 years I can close the chapter on Killarney.

one eye wrote: »
    Killarney no thanks. In the late 60's I spent an expensive long weekend there and never went back till 2009. Kris Kristofferson was playing and the kids gave my better half and I tickets for it. We booked into one of the most popular hotels in the town right beside the concert hall. Besides being overpriced (in the grand tradition of Killarney) the room was functional, the food was dreadful (the bacon for breakfast could have been used for replacing broken roof slates).
    But the overall impression was that Killarney has not changed its still an overpriced low value destination. The Americans can have it.
    It took me 40 years for a return visit so as I wont be around in 40 years I can close the chapter on Killarney.
    everyone is entitled to an opinion. But not to spout inaccurate cr@p about a fantastic place that i moved to and am proud to call home.
    i moved my wife myself and my five children to killarney four years ago. I've been all over ireland and all over the world. We could hav moved to england france or spain. We chose killarney. Four years unbelievably hard work starting again from scratch. And its the Best thing i ever did. You have no idea about killarney whatsoever, i have never met a harder working bunch in my life, and as hard as killarney people work they make time for each other. So you had a bad experience, haven't we all? I was served by a girl in tesco the other day who was an ignorant b¡tch. So does that mean the whole of killarney sucks? Your comments are completely unsubstantiated. this is a thread for killarney, if all you have to contribute about killarney is to bitch about killarney and talk utter DRIVEL about this incredible town then do us all a favour. Dont bother. Killarney doesn't NEED the likes of your incorrect discriminatory offensive diatribe. Ps its INEC. NCIS is the name of a navy seal CSI type show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 one eye

Your attitude is typical of the take it or leave attitude doled out to unsuspecting visitors to Killarney.
    I dare to air my comments because on my two visits to Killarney I have left feeling disappointed and feeling ripped off. The name of the concert hall is of no consequence to me as I will never be there again.
    As you are incapable of taking off the blinkers I feel that any further communication with you to be an exercise in futility as you are obviously aggressive and ill mannered. Your use of capital letters for your rant is simply a further example of your bad manners.
    The Killarney area is one of the most beautiful in Ireland but the visitor experience is ruined by that most Irish of traits, greed.
    This concludes our unfortunate and distasteful interaction
    Fin

Your attitude is typical of the take it or leave attitude doled out to unsuspecting visitors to Killarney.
    I dare to air my comments because on my two visits to Killarney I have left feeling disappointed and feeling ripped off. The name of the concert hall is of no consequence to me as I will never be there again.
    As you are incapable of taking off the blinkers I feel that any further communication with you to be an exercise in futility as you are obviously aggressive and ill mannered. Your use of capital letters for your rant is simply a further example of your bad manners.
    The Killarney area is one of the most beautiful in Ireland but the visitor experience is ruined by that most Irish of traits, greed.
    This concludes our unfortunate and distasteful interaction
    Fin

you not me hav indulged in a tirade of very personal abuse. I made the comment that your post is utter rubbish and totally inaccurate Which it is. Me blinkered? I'm not the one who based my entire opinion of a town on a singular experience. I COULD have told you to avoid the g%.%£ hotel as would anyone local if you had engaged them in conversation. I had a bad experience there myself, where an acquaintance suffered food poisoning. You have experienced one negative aspect of killarney and you presume to know the whole town? I am correct in my question which i repeat, How dare you? Thankfully this haughty inaccurate discriminatory holier than thou attitude is extremely rare and there is no place for it in a killarney thread nor is there in boards.ie as the charter you agreed to when you registered clearly states you cannot personally attack as you have just done to me.

nor is there in boards.ie as the charter you agreed to when you registered clearly states you cannot personally attack as you have just done to me.
    Pot.... Kettle...... Black.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

OK guys... keep it civil please. This is not the place for this. Personal attacks and bickering will not be tolerated in this thread.

If my comments have been personalised then i am happy to retract any personal references. You cant just wade in to a town full of fantastic people working their h0les off in an environment where shops are dropping like flies because you a bad breakfast in a dodgy hotel and label the whole town an overpriced low class $h1thole. the content submitted by one eye is utter unsubstantiated tosh. I have no axe to grind with the poster, and apologise for any personal reference i may have made. its a democratic forum, he's welcome to an opinion, he may be a fine fellow but if ones opinion is makey uppy drivel and the post is potentially severely damaging to this fine town then that is utterly contemptible. He clearly did not read my reply properly unfortunately. i am not a native, but i'm now based here permanently taking a huge risk in business and rearing my family and chose to do so in killarney. I'm hugely proud of and appreciate killarney from the inside, but this sort of claptrap nonsense while the town is on its knees, on a forum available and viewed worldwide, is scandalous.

Either its empty or very quiet in here, or my opinion is in a minority of one....

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

looks like a minority of 1 . and no thumbs up hmmm i wonder why ??

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭loueuro2

i think most people might have a bad experience somewhere and it would turn u off going there again. im living in killarney all my life and it is overpriced and a boring town. your here only 4 years! people working there hole off, phew, same as any other town. everyone has a right to there opinions im not going to stick up for the place cause hes prob right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

loueuro2 wrote: »
    i think most people might have a bad experience somewhere and it would turn u off going there again. im living in killarney all my life and it is overpriced and a boring town. your here only 4 years! people working there hole off, phew, same as any other town. everyone has a right to there opinions im not going to stick up for the place cause hes prob right.

Worked in Killarney town centre (in roxys) for about 3 years, nice town, fairly friendly but feck all happens here, I struggled to notice any real difference in how retailers/restraunts/pubs etc reacted positivley to the recession. Some places might have had drink promotions of like vodka and coke for 3 euros or beers for 3 euros on like a wednesday night but that seemed to be about it. I noticed one restraunt had some offer of a 3 meal course for only 45 euros and another place would give you a free bottle of wine (which couldn't be worth more than a tenner) in what world are they recession busting offers?. Never anything going on in the town and absoltuley nothing on offer for the younger folks. But hey, it looks beautiful right?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Killarney is overpriced thats for sure but what i love about the place are the people, I have family living there and whenever i get a chance to go home it really feels like Ive never left the place. its a shame people get this bad impression from the town. Just my opinion of course :p

• Advertisement

ciaeim wrote: »
    looks like a minority of 1 .

ciaeim, screaminmidget, and loueuro2, i have links to killarney over many generations and have been in and out all my life. though i have indeed only been living here four years, to clarify. seems most agree with one eye's opinion of killarney being somewhere to avoid at all costs. Thats a real (one) eye opener :) On a national scale killarney pricing is not that really that bad, you know. Its the same every where and its not just killarney thats a rip off its the whole country. I thought the dig at killarney was far too generalised and broad sweeping and out of order, But i consider myself educated! Perhaps indeed as you suggest i alone carry a positive view of killarney, ok, its a democracy, you are entitled to your views which i fully respect. Dont get me wrong i could start a new thread on the sh¡te aspects of killarney, thats for sure! I get it guys, i see it every day. But wisdom comes with old age plus wife kids bills and a large beer belly. Having experienced many towns over varying periods, national and abroad, i believe killarney stacks up better than most when weighing up pros and cons (of course there are cons nothing is perfect). I personally dont agree that killarney has a lower class of person and attitude. And if you read my post correctly you will see that the very point i make is that it is a town where everybody not just me works their h0les off so you are, to be fair, completely incorrect on that point loueuro2, i was not just talking about me. Dont get me wrong, i'm nothing special, i'm pleased to have a go at a small business in this town, the state will never do anything for any of us so we may as well all have a go. Perhaps you might, on review, see that i was talking about the hard work of EVERYBODY in killarney and their constant ability to keep a positive perspective and not just myself. You guys seem an educated sort. Lets just say we see things differently, perhaps its my old age and trying to always prise the best out of any situation.everyday I genuinely see a much better attitude to life and work and the disastrous economy in killarney than in most places. Thats just my humble opinion, perhaps i have it wrong and one eye is correct in his assertion of killarney as a low class kip. Its not view thats all i guess. Perhaps i'm too old for this particular thread. With regards xb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

you are right on there. maybe this fall in economy might bring the prices down. and at that for our own irish, it is too little too late. as less people can afford ot take mini or long breaks. eating out is becoming a thing of the past also

Thats fair. but is it not also fair to say that its not just killarney that may be ripping people off, perhaps it is ireland in general, in many many towns, and thats part of the reason for the mess were all in?

I was in the bowling place in tralee the other day. At least what, ten lanes, plus gaming area plus eat-in area. Packed. In a recession. Recognised a few faces from killarney. So my question for all you young 'uns in killarney. Would somewhere like that do well here? say fri sat sun? (Totally agree with ye saying there is f¥ck all for the teenagers / young adults in town.)

I was in the bowling place in tralee the other day. At least what, ten lanes, plus gaming area plus eat-in area. Packed. In a recession. Recognised a few faces from killarney. So my question for all you young 'uns in killarney. Would somewhere like that do well here? say fri sat sun? (Totally agree with ye saying there is f¥ck all for the teenagers / young adults in town.)
    God yes!!!!!
    Apart form the cinema (and when birds bazzar or the ice rink is here) there is pretty much F.A. Else to do :(
    There are the teenage discos, which are great, but they cater towards the younger teenegers (14-16). A bowling alley by itself wouldnt be enough I'm afraid. I used to play in the cue club when i was 15 (paid membership and all) untill one day I was told to take anything out of our lockers, as he wouldnt allow me back in. Been nothing to do since then :(
    If we got a bowling alley/pool hall type of thing going, something akin to the funtasia set up, but not as big. (like, no fun rides, that lark)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Thats fair. but is it not also fair to say that its not just killarney that may be ripping people off, perhaps it is ireland in general, in many many towns, and thats part of the reason for the mess were all in?

yes there is kensale in cork, dingle, cork city, while i could go to galway tomorrow and within a few miles of the city i can get bed and breakfast at bed and breakfast prices, last summer i found a place 3 miles west of the city for 25 euro per person, and you should have seen the beautiful breakfast, it kept us going till evining, also we met the owners who were very helpful, it is very important that front line staff are local and friendly, people come to ireland to meet the irish,

As Killarney born and reared it was with sadness i read your message, and that you have closed the chapter on Killarney, and i i can accept where ur sentiments are but not all things are mirriored ,and prices in the hotel industry have been slashed to entice people to stay in near empty hotels... Re prices for Bed and Breakfast in the town centre of Killarney prices can range from e20 to e35... and i also find using customer reviews very useful when i look for a place to stay....Killarney has Pros and Cons but over all i think the standard of accommadation is very high ...but i think if i was unhappy with service and expected to pay for it i feel i would have to express myself....and make them wary of the pitfalls or even praise them if praise is deserved.... I am not involved in any way in the hospitality industry ..but like you i do enjoy getting value for money and be able to leave with happy memories, wanting to return again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bergkamp10

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    As Killarney born and reared it was with sadness i read your message, and that you have closed the chapter on Killarney, and i i can accept where ur sentiments are but not all things are mirriored ,and prices in the hotel industry have been slashed to entice people to stay in near empty hotels... Re prices for Bed and Breakfast in the town centre of Killarney prices can range from e20 to e35... and i also find using customer reviews very useful when i look for a place to stay....Killarney has Pros and Cons but over all i think the standard of accommadation is very high ...but i think if i was unhappy with service and expected to pay for it i feel i would have to express myself....and make them wary of the pitfalls or even praise them if praise is deserved.... I am not involved in any way in the hospitality industry ..but like you i do enjoy getting value for money and be able to leave with happy memories, wanting to return again....

very well said !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bergkamp10

the chapter? To continue your book analogy, Seems to me you have merely scanned over two (glen crappy eagle) pages, forty years apart, and claim to know the entire book inside out? Tsk Tsk. Xclusiv Barber, dont get dragged into it, you are right, i bow to your beer belly laden old age& wisdom-. Massive big up yourself for the balls to have a phuking go at a shop in a shrinking economy wit mortgage rent massive rates and FIVE kids? Phew. dont let it bug ya, rise above it.

• Advertisement

God yes!!!!!
    Apart form the cinema (and when birds bazzar or the ice rink is here) there is pretty much F.A. Else to do :(
    There are the teenage discos, which are great, but they cater towards the younger teenegers (14-16). A bowling alley by itself wouldnt be enough I'm afraid. I used to play in the cue club when i was 15 (paid membership and all) untill one day I was told to take anything out of our lockers, as he wouldnt allow me back in. Been nothing to do since then :(
    If we got a bowling alley/pool hall type of thing going, something akin to the funtasia set up, but not as big. (like, no fun rides, that lark)

A Bowling Alley was talked about a few yrs ago and a site was looked at....what became of it...It is now the Dept of Sports Arts and Tourism building.....I have to agree there is very little in Killarney regarding recreation unless u are a sport minded...I dont know what services the KDYS run for young adults but i feel more should be done for our youth..the benefits would be great for society and more so for the self esteem of these young adults..

Advertisement