Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Just heard that the Quality Inn is to reopen. A just in time shot in the arm for the town:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Yeah the Quality Hotel will be re-opening on the 6th April with all the staff who wanted their jobs again, holding onto them. The new owners are starting afresh now and all the staff that were entitled to redundancy pay, received it and are all starting on a clean sheet now.

Good news all round

Do we know the new backers. Are they local ?

I'm not naming names in a public forum but a call or two will give you the names of: The accountant and the General Manager who would be now co-owners of said hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I hope they improve their Sunday lunch menu, if they do I might be considered a regular during the summer months.

I was not a fan of their last offerings but I'll give them another opportunity to try and impress me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I'm not naming names in a public forum but a call or two will give you the names of: The accountant and the General Manager who would be now co-owners of said hotel.

Fair deuce to them. I know a few people who worked there and they are all delighted to getting their jobs back.

Do you know is there anything to the rumor that the new owners are after inheriting the 8 odd million in debt that came with the place? (That being a big issue as to how they could afford it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Ferris+Enright

Hi,
    My roots are from Listowel with family name of Ferris. I was given information to say my Uncle Patrick Ferris (single) died in 1940 in the County Home in Killarney. Would anybody have any information on this County Home? Was it a home for the aged or used as a hospice? Would it be a home for the poor? I don't understand how a Listowel person would wind up in Killarney. Isn't Killarney a long way from Listowel? Any information would be appreciated.
    Maureen

Hi,
    My roots are from Listowel with family name of Ferris. I was given information to say my Uncle Patrick Ferris (single) died in 1940 in the County Home in Killarney. Would anybody have any information on this County Home? Was it a home for the aged or used as a hospice? Would it be a home for the poor? I don't understand how a Listowel person would wind up in Killarney. Isn't Killarney a long way from Listowel? Any information would be appreciated.
    Maureen

I can completely confirm everything that Boroman said in the Listowel Thread "In answer to Maureen re/county home in Killarney I can tell her that the county home she speaks of was built originally as a workhouse, it was used subsequently as the county home to cater for anybody in Co. Kerry who without proper means would be unable to look after themselves.It is used today as an old folks home facility and is known as St.Columbanus Home. I would advise Maureen to contact the Archivist at Kerry County Library and he may have records or would be in a position to advise where information re/ county home might be sourced. ".

That's it exactly. I was thinking today of the best way to phrase it but Boroman said it perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

oeb wrote: »
    Fair deuce to them. I know a few people who worked there and they are all delighted to getting their jobs back.

Do you know is there anything to the rumor that the new owners are after inheriting the 8 odd million in debt that came with the place? (That being a big issue as to how they could afford it).

I heard who obtained it during the week and they also got a clean slate as regards to debt as far as i know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭FRANKENFURTER

ONE would have to think that the receiver who went into sort out the original company would have to try and sort some of the problems of the original debts........tis is not the first time it has happened here ..keep a close eye on the staff terms an conditions ...union recignition etc etc its seems that closing down in winter and reopening in time for summer is an easy option for skipping your obligations to your ordinary hard working staff:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭dmeehan

it was nice to see a lot of people/tourists around killarney over the weekend, although the traffic on the muckross road was back also (not as welcome, but clouds/silver lining etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pharrell

Good to see a Killarney thread going, Im from Killarney but living in Dublin, great town for the session!! going back a few years now but does anyone remember Burgerland when it opened? Some place that was ha-ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Orna

vaguely remember Burgerland in High St,wasn't there an abrakebabra there in the same spot too ??

I remember before Robertino's opened and the small Allegro takeaway there across the street ... laugh ... we used to come out of The Danny Mann at 2 or later in the morning and buy 99's dipped in chocolate and walk back down to Den Joe's to watch stupid fights and slagging matches !!:pac: :pac: :pac:

vaguely remember Burgerland in High St,wasn't there an abrakebabra there in the same spot too ??
    I am going to sound mature but it was Kellihers Chemist Shop, then Burgerland and the Abrakababra.

Now a Paddy Powers so you still have guys hanging round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭dmeehan

thats all before my time
    when I first started comming to killarney (live here now) it was an abrekebabra, never knew it was a burgerland before that

Orna wrote: »
    we used to come out of The Danny Mann at 2 or later in the morning and buy 99's dipped in chocolate and walk back down to Den Joe's to watch stupid fights and slagging matches !!:pac: :pac: :pac:

And Jack McGrath wading through the crowd like Dirty Harry :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Orna wrote: »

I remember before Robertino's opened and the small Allegro takeaway there across the street ... laugh ... we used to come out of The Danny Mann at 2 or later in the morning and buy 99's dipped in chocolate and walk back down to Den Joe's to watch stupid fights and slagging matches !!:pac: :pac: :pac:

The Danny Mann nightclub, that was some place for fights afterwards alright!

It was a very very rare occasion that you would not see at least a few people giving each other a battering outside there. Then again, town used to be like that pretty much all over. Maybe it still is, maybe I have just stopped paying attention to it.

oeb wrote: »
    The Danny Mann nightclub, that was some place for fights afterwards alright!

It was a very very rare occasion that you would not see at least a few people giving each other a battering outside there. Then again, town used to be like that pretty much all over. Maybe it still is, maybe I have just stopped paying attention to it.

Killarney has developed into one of the most safest towns in the country these last few years. I for one am thriled to bits at the progress that has been made. Rarely now on nights out would I see and incident of the sorts, at any hour. It's great.

Killarney has developed into one of the most safest towns in the country these last few years.

Just heard that a "Head Shop" in opening in Town. Friday nights are going to be more interesting

newman10 wrote: »
    Just heard that a "Head Shop" in opening in Town. Friday nights are going to be more interesting

:D you serious? Do you know where they will be setting up shop? :rolleyes: I haven't heard anything about this yet.

• Advertisement

: Do you know where they will be setting up shop?

In High St , the lads in Urban told me. It is to open next Wednesday or Thursday. Dr China or something used to be there

In High St , the lads in Urban told me. It is to open next Wednesday or Thursday. Dr China or something used to be there

Interesting move for the town, I just hope it doesn't backfire! Oh I can already hear what the RK airwaves will be covering next week

They are looking for staff so it is another job for the town.

Wonder did they get a grant from the County Enterprise Board :D

I'm not entirely sure why but I actually find solace in the fact they will be located up High Street near the Garda Station :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

I worked in Killarney in the 60's, stayed with a family called Flaherty, I remember Rory the son he played drums, great town in the summer, is Horans still going?

I'm not entirely sure why but I actually find solace in the fact they will be located up High Street near the Garda Station :D

No a little nearer the Town Clock with a little more besides :rolleyes:

No a little nearer the Town Clock with a little more besides :rolleyes:

:D interesting times ahead me thinks :D ... certainly bring a bit more of a buzz to the town :P

stanley1 wrote: »
    I worked in Killarney in the 60's, stayed with a family called Flaherty, I remember Rory the son he played drums, great town in the summer, is Horans still going?

Never heard of Horans in Killarney. Are you getting it mixed up with Tralee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

yep, used to go and see pecker dunne and two's company there.

• Advertisement

stanley1 wrote: »
    yep, used to go and see pecker dunne and two's company there.

Hey Stanley! I just made a call there for you about Horans in Killarney ... It was where McSorleys bar/nightclub is located today on college street

Advertisement