Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bergkamp10

How bout a 'Hooters' bar in killarney, eh? : 0 )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i think killarney has the most beautiful walking areas, muckross house gardens, gap of dunloe, and i think there are other beautiful places for walking and cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Have been to Killarney many, many times and love it there. Always had kids with us so never really went out in the evening. Heading down next weekend and as we won't have the kids this time, wondering if anyone can recommend a pub where there might be a bit of music or such...

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭loueuro2

what kind of music,irish,load or somewhere quiter. scots hotel usually have music, dunloe for the irish music, then there is scruffys,mcsorleys(niteclub too), cube, plaza so many with music..

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Killarney is quiet at the moment but weekends are picking up...Scotts hotel in College Street is a good starting point...across the road is the Failte hotel..sport Bar would be the Speakeasy in High street if watching the rugby ...also C2 across the road from that ...Late drinks well there is the Tatler Jack and Mc Sorleys... and Scruffys..if i hear of anything else happenning for weekend will let u know....

• Advertisement

Have been to Killarney many, many times and love it there. Always had kids with us so never really went out in the evening. Heading down next weekend and as we won't have the kids this time, wondering if anyone can recommend a pub where there might be a bit of music or such...

Thank you.

you should check out whats on in the INEC, apart from the large concert venue they have an excellent smaller intimate venue which could hav anythin from jason byrne to aslan to mary black, always somethin on at reasonable ticket price.You should google INEC . Check any killarney guide (outlook, advertiser) or papers (kerryman south edition, kerrys eye) for listings. u might find something you enjoy. But DONT eat anything in the INEC fast food auditorium! The restaurant at the back NOT FRONT of gleneagle is lovely. Music bars in town are great for the YOUNGER clubbing types, mcsorleys, kube scruffys crypt etc, but they get absolutely packed solid AND MENTAL with the young 'uns and if you feel you've done enough of that in your life already you might prefer to avoid them and leave the young 'uns to rock out and take their rightful turn to get stocious. High street college st plunkett st main st all in town centre has pubs with live irish music acts till late, great craic agus ceoil. All within a minute or two of each other! Hope that helps. Ah to be without the kids u lucky sods. ENJOY YOURSELVES!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Xclusiv Barber

bergkamp10 wrote: »
    the chapter? To continue your book analogy, Seems to me you have merely scanned over two (glen crappy eagle) pages, forty years apart, and claim to know the entire book inside out? Tsk Tsk. Xclusiv Barber, dont get dragged into it, you are right, i bow to your beer belly laden old age& wisdom-. Massive big up yourself for the balls to have a phuking go at a shop in a shrinking economy wit mortgage rent massive rates and FIVE kids? Phew. dont let it bug ya, rise above it.

cheers dude

Had my first canvasser in my shop this morn, like eh, the election is four working days away. John O Donoghue the ceann comhairle himself, just came in with his lackey and was about to start handin out flyers to waiting clients and me (not so much as a may i) o'donoghue didn't come near me, he left that to the lackey!? Unreal. Lets just say they were stopped from distributing, and ejected without leaving any flyers. Bloody cheek. Anyway hope alls well wit ye cheeky scamp younglings lurking about the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Had my first canvasser in my shop this morn, like eh, the election is four working days away. John O Donoghue the ceann comhairle himself, just came in with his lackey and was about to start handin out flyers to waiting clients and me (not so much as a may i) o'donoghue didn't come near me, he left that to the lackey!? Unreal. Lets just say they were stopped from distributing, and ejected without leaving any flyers. Bloody cheek. Anyway hope alls well wit ye cheeky scamp younglings lurking about the thread!

Not the ceann comhairle anymore ;) -if he was he wouldnt have to run and we wouldnt get a chance to let him know what we think of him.:D

Behaviour is typical of the man.
    Arrogance personified.

On canvassers visiting shops, I would have thought that was kinda unusual.

Walking around town would be fairly usual but wouldnt have thought candidates actually canvassing in shops.

typical of him to be goin into all the shops in the town wit 4 working days to go! You shoulda phucked him down the stairs of ur fine crib. We saw nothin your honour, did we chaps.

• Advertisement

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Not the ceann comhairle anymore ;) -if he was he wouldnt have to run and we wouldnt get a chance to let him know what we think of him.:D
    Behaviour is typical of the man.
    Arrogance personified.

On canvassers visiting shops, I would have thought that was kinda unusual.

Walking around town would be fairly usual but wouldnt have thought candidates actually canvassing in shops.
    no boom_boom, its quite common for canvassers to hit the shops. And, a barbershop full of blokes on a saturday morning would be perfect hunting ground, if your not ff that is. In one sense its a shame big fat john wont get in cos he'd have five years of old dears bitching at him in his morning clinics about the state of the pothole in kilcummin and him sittin there squirming wit not two brass farthings. Good riddance. Ok no more politics from me i'm losing my always sunny cheery demeanour!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

no boom_boom, its quite common for canvassers to hit the shops. And, a barbershop full of blokes on a saturday morning would be perfect hunting ground, if your not ff that is. In one sense its a shame big fat john wont get in cos he'd have five years of old dears bitching at him in his morning clinics about the state of the pothole in kilcummin and him sittin there squirming wit not two brass farthings. Good riddance. Ok no more politics from me i'm losing my always sunny cheery demeanour!

Can kinda understand the logic but never seen/heard of it myself.

Can't imagine many business owners would be all that delighted with any politicans who come into their business looking for votes from customers, unless there were a supporter of the the particular candidate.

If I had a business I would only let a politican I supported canvass on my premises. The rest of them could do their canvassing outside rather than harrassing/annoying aby of my customers.

No shame at all that John will be getting the boot.

Shure the only reason he was running was to keep the "family" seat warm for the son next time around.

I am afraid to say i agree with Xclusive...After all it is his business and he has right of admission. just like his home.maybe if this canidate had asked for permission to speak to his customers the reaction might have been different.......and if customers wanted to speak to this canidate they could ring for an appointment and arrange a meeting....A hair salon is a place that some see as a treat and
    relaxation and not a place for politics....Well done Xclusive...

goat2 wrote: »
    i am sure every other candidate has stepped inside shops and not been stopped, he should be treated the same as the rest, and i bet there were some ff voters in that shop at that time, it will not do good for your business if this is the way you are treating him in front of customers, i would like to know the name of your shop, so that i can avoid going in and spending my buck there

eh, the clue is in the username, eh, xclusiv barber???? Absolute nonsense goat2, sorry! Dont no what planet your post belongs on, planet ff perhaps. And your supposed to respond to the post, your not allowed direct attacks on a poster like you just did with that chap and his shop and your slanderous remark? I recall He said john o donoghue breezed in without any permission into the salon (which is upstairs) and started handing out flyers to men who were there to unwind and get a haircut? And left his sidekick to go over to talk to xb when i would have thought john o donoghue should be speakin to the boss if he's lookin for a vote. I think thats disgusting. WELL DONE XCLUSIV BARBER!!! goat2 have you ever actually been in xb's barbershop? Thought not. He is legend. His haircuts are WORLDCLASS. brilliant magazines tunes sports etc. Great chat, he never talks sh1t, always gives it straight, even in here on this thread. I seem to remember him clearly submitting his own real name and business name and address and welcoming allcomers a few posts back? Doesn't even bother with anonymity! Seems his honesty is too much for some. goat2 if you dont go to xb, i suggest the loss is yours not his, not stating facts thats just my opinion as i've been there many times and would never go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I have to agree with bergkamp10. If I owned a shop and you came in trying to hand out ANY kind of flyers to my customers you would be told where to go. I would not care if you were canvasing for an election or advertising a business.

goat2 wrote: »
    i am sure every other candidate has stepped inside shops and not been stopped, he should be treated the same as the rest, and i bet there were some ff voters in that shop at that time, it will not do good for your business if this is the way you are treating him in front of customers, i would like to know the name of your shop, so that i can avoid going in and spending my buck there
    my salon is called, erm, well, as the eh, username suggests, its called eh... Xclusiv Barber, isn't it?!!

how on earth did YOU manage to get offended by a politician coming into MY shop in a very rude manner completely ignoring me and going straight over to my customers? Good god man, go have a quiet lie down before you say anything else slanderous about me personally and my place of business....ok? .... So, Now that you're feeling better, let me break it down.No canvassers have ever called into me before, i would think it unusual as boom_boom suggests. Unusual inside a place of business anyway, i've certainly seen it outside. goat2, leaving aside your insulting personal swipe, i must point out that you are incorrect and inaccurate. There were three gents waiting on my sofas. They were all from the area. They were all horrified to see john o donoghue coming into a place of retreat (spot on halo kitty. Thanks.) he tried to hand each of them a flyer. Each of them politely said 'i'd rather not thanks john' more or less. I wouldn't have them insult any1, i've to live and work in this town. Not that any guys comin in here would anyway, its good craic in here with sound customers. In order to come into my shop John o donoghue and his helper have to climb a stairway, enter, walk past me, the sole employee, over to the couches. I had reason in the past four years to call on deputy o donoghue as a voter and was let down. Also as a father of five owning a new business, i have lost about thirty thousand thanks to ff with cuts three times to child benefit, childcare supplement, axing of new business grants, higher income tax, higher vat, higher rates. While john o donoghue has raked in hundreds of thousands extra in unvouched expenses over the years, so much so he had to issue humiliating public apologies last year? If john o donoghue had asked MY PERMISSION i would have gladly let him speak to my customers and let them tell him to phuc right off themselves. He didn't say boo to me, and he spoke to them anyway. His manner was so brusque and rude and ignorant. So i told him and his helper 'excuse me gents, no thanks'. The helper came over to talk to me and i just said 'look, i voted ff the last time chaps, and wit respect i have no interest in anything your party has to say to me thank you' and they left. And john o donoghue never looked at me once or spoke to me once during the whole thing. I understand the importance of how one deals with people. And for the ex (thanks boom_boom) ceann comhairle of ireland to be so rude and so 'look down ur nose' and ignorant towards anyone let alone a humble shopkeeper in his own bloody constituency? Ur attitude disappoints me goat2. but i hav high hopes for the remainder of the younglings out there who will be in charge in the next generation.

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    I am afraid to say i agree with Xclusive...After all it is his business and he has right of admission. just like his home.maybe if this canidate had asked for permission to speak to his customers the reaction might have been different.......and if customers wanted to speak to this canidate they could ring for an appointment and arrange a meeting....A hair salon is a place that some see as a treat and
    relaxation and not a place for politics....Well done Xclusive...

ur v kind. Thanks. And ur spot on in everything u said, from permission to customers to politics.

my salon is called, erm, well, as the eh, username suggests, its called eh... Xclusiv Barber, isn't it?!!

how on earth did YOU manage to get offended by a politician coming into MY shop in a very rude manner completely ignoring me and going straight over to my customers? Good god man, go have a quiet lie down before you say anything else slanderous about me personally and my place of business....ok? .... So, Now that you're feeling better, let me break it down.No canvassers have ever called into me before, i would think it unusual as boom_boom suggests. Unusual inside a place of business anyway, i've certainly seen it outside. goat2, leaving aside your insulting personal swipe, i must point out that you are incorrect and inaccurate. There were three gents waiting on my sofas. They were all from the area. They were all horrified to see john o donoghue coming into a place of retreat (spot on halo kitty. Thanks.) he tried to hand each of them a flyer. Each of them politely said 'i'd rather not thanks john' more or less. I wouldn't have them insult any1, i've to live and work in this town. Not that any guys comin in here would anyway, its good craic in here with sound customers. In order to come into my shop John o donoghue and his helper have to climb a stairway, enter, walk past me, the sole employee, over to the couches. I had reason in the past four years to call on deputy o donoghue as a voter and was let down. Also as a father of five owning a new business, i have lost about thirty thousand thanks to ff with cuts three times to child benefit, childcare supplement, axing of new business grants, higher income tax, higher vat, higher rates. While john o donoghue has raked in hundreds of thousands extra in unvouched expenses over the years, so much so he had to issue humiliating public apologies last year? If john o donoghue had asked MY PERMISSION i would have gladly let him speak to my customers and let them tell him to phuc right off themselves. He didn't say boo to me, and he spoke to them anyway. His manner was so brusque and rude and ignorant. So i told him and his helper 'excuse me gents, no thanks'. The helper came over to talk to me and i just said 'look, i voted ff the last time chaps, and wit respect i have no interest in anything your party has to say to me thank you' and they left. And john o donoghue never looked at me once or spoke to me once during the whole thing. I understand the importance of how one deals with people. And for the ex (thanks boom_boom) ceann comhairle of ireland to be so rude and so 'look down ur nose' and ignorant towards anyone let alone a humble shopkeeper in his own bloody constituency? Ur attitude disappoints me goat2. but i hav high hopes for the remainder of the younglings out there who will be in charge in the next generation.

back.of.the.net!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

What did goat2 say that was slanderous?

kfk wrote: »
    What did goat2 say that was slanderous?
    i have to ask kfk,
    You did read goat2's post? Dictionary definition of slander: defamatory or false malicious misleading statement that may incur damage on a person's reputation. Now, armed with this, from a neutral perspective, legally lets say, it seems to me that goat2 slandered xclusiv barber six times. An employer of high repute in this town is ignored by a politician canvassing in his own shop, and he posts about it humorously. To be met with: Insinuating john o donoghue was refused entry. Insinuating he was not treated the same as anyone else on the premises. Insinuating he was ill treated in front of people. Uttering unsubstantiated remarks as to the potential damage to a business from said treatment,calling into question the business. And asking where is your shop so i can be sure to avoid it. Hope that helps you kfk. You did read goat2's post? You did read xclusiv's reply? Seems to me that the politician ignored the proprietor, canvassed without permission ( trespassing, hello?? Thats illegal! ) and harassed his customers. Happy to help out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I must say that it is great to see the town being somewhat busy again, brings a nice buzz to the town.

i have to ask kfk,
    You did read goat2's post? Dictionary definition of slander: defamatory or false malicious misleading statement that may incur damage on a person's reputation. Now, armed with this, from a neutral perspective, legally lets say, it seems to me that goat2 slandered xclusiv barber six times. An employer of high repute in this town is ignored by a politician canvassing in his own shop, and he posts about it humorously. To be met with: Insinuating john o donoghue was refused entry. Insinuating he was not treated the same as anyone else on the premises. Insinuating he was ill treated in front of people. Uttering unsubstantiated remarks as to the potential damage to a business from said treatment,calling into question the business. And asking where is your shop so i can be sure to avoid it. Hope that helps you kfk. You did read goat2's post? You did read xclusiv's reply? Seems to me that the politician ignored the proprietor, canvassed without permission ( trespassing, hello?? Thats illegal! ) and harassed his customers. Happy to help out!

So I'm guessing that your comment a few posts back was slanderous. "But DONT eat anything in the INEC fast food auditorium!"

If we were to scrutinize every post on this tread then I'm sure that we would find a lot of them to be slanderous. If you read xclusiv barbers posts, you would have found many of those to be slanderous. I believe those posts have now been edited to remove the names of the people and businesses involved. Any loss to xclusiv barbers business is not going to be caused by goat2 comments but by xclusiv barbers own rants on this forum.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I must say that it is great to see the town being somewhat busy again, brings a nice buzz to the town.

Ya, I felt that there was a really good atmosphere around town today. Lets hope we have a good spring and summer.

kfk wrote: »
    So I'm guessing that your comment a few posts back was slanderous. "But DONT eat anything in the INEC fast food auditorium!"

If we were to scrutinize every post on this tread then I'm sure that we would find a lot of them to be slanderous. If you read xclusiv barbers posts, you would have found many of those to be slanderous. I believe those posts have now been edited to remove the names of the people and businesses involved. Any loss to xclusiv barbers business is not going to be caused by goat2 comments but by xclusiv barbers own rants on this forum.
    kfk,
    you are correct in your noticing the posts by me were modified, however you are incorrect in that they were not removed, if you look again they were edited, by me, not because i had to, as i was detailing something that had actually happened to me in certain shops at certain times and an actual substantiated real event is not slander or defamation of character. I removed the names to keep the stories in the first person singular, ie ME . I am never anything but brutally utterly honest, as i'm just too old to be anything else. If you read my posts correctly then you have also spotted my apology? for an over zealous retort at one-eye. I'm always happy to hold my hand up when wrong,always. or when over zealous indeed. But i will always call it as i see it and i am merely stating an opinion. Unless its fact. Like my previous stories edited by myself, for example. But taking goat2's post, to finish the matter and put it to bed if i may, i fail to see how his post is in any way related to john o donoghues very unfortunate very rude distasteful entry into my workplace harassing my customers without even so much as shooting me a glance? If you have read my last post, then apologies for repeating this point,: Had he even asked my permission or acknowledged me at any point in his visit i would have respectfully spoken to him and told him i voted FOR HIM last time and it is my opinion he has failed me dreadfully. That would just have been my opinion. To each his own, including your good self. Regards xb

kerry4sam wrote: »

take a bow kerry4sam, spot on! It's very heartening to be in the town on a monday and see lots of locals (and tourists perhaps too which is fantastic) out and about on what was a sunny spring day and not even that cold?!!

Can someone tell me how much is a dry hair cut for a female in Killarney...newly unemployed and making cutbacks on certain things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 regattaqueen

kfk,
    you are correct in your noticing the posts by me were modified, however you are incorrect in that they were not removed, if you look again they were edited, by me, not because i had to, as i was detailing something that had actually happened to me in certain shops at certain times and an actual substantiated real event is not slander or defamation of character. I removed the names to keep the stories in the first person singular, ie ME . I am never anything but brutally utterly honest, as i'm just too old to be anything else. If you read my posts correctly then you have also spotted my apology? for an over zealous retort at one-eye. I'm always happy to hold my hand up when wrong,always. or when over zealous indeed. But i will always call it as i see it and i am merely stating an opinion. Unless its fact. Like my previous stories edited by myself, for example. But taking goat2's post, to finish the matter and put it to bed if i may, i fail to see how his post is in any way related to john o donoghues very unfortunate very rude distasteful entry into my workplace harassing my customers without even so much as shooting me a glance? If you have read my last post, then apologies for repeating this point,: Had he even asked my permission or acknowledged me at any point in his visit i would have respectfully spoken to him and told him i voted FOR HIM last time and it is my opinion he has failed me dreadfully. That would just have been my opinion. To each his own, including your good self. Regards xb

I think you are the one who should look again, as kfk never said that you had removed posts, merely that you had edited them. Not wishing to bore you too much with the technicalities of the tort of defamation xclusiv barber, as you give the impression of being au fait with all matters legal already, but the previously distinct torts of slander and libel have now been replaced with the statutory tort of defamation. Be careful however as what you might perceive to be factual events and events true in all material respects may not be so perceived by those other business owners you openly named here in the past and about whom you decided to edit your posts.

As for Goat2's post and kfk's request for clarification vis-a-vis the slanderous impact of goats statement, there is nothing slanderous in goats post.

i have to ask kfk,

Bergkamp10's subsequent post in relation to Mr. John O Donoghue, however could be viewed in a defamatory light. There it is suggested that Mr. O Donoghue engaged in illegal activity in Xclusive Barber's premises in Killarney.

There is an implied invitation of entry by the owner/proprietor of a shop etc to members of the public, therefore any entry by Mr. O Donoghue was lawful and does not amount to a trespass. When Mr. O Donoghue was asked to leave did he do so? If he remained on the premises beyond the expiry of the authorisation then it may become an unlawful entry and amount to trespass! One must take care however not to accuse in the wrong.

Happy to help out! ;)

Oh my god. And there we all thought the matter was at an end. Seems to me that this killarney thread is constantly littered with posters who like to gang up on anyone who dares to utter a single shred of a post containing anything involving any kind of happening. I read the original posts, before edit. I also clearly read kfk originally use the word REMOVED not EDITED, before the post was itself edited!! So with respect you are absolutely wrong on that one i read the word removed quite clearly i also remember an apology and a retraction, and a statement saying that some such events actually occurred, all of which you conveniently leave out? Listen my good man, to-may-toes, to-mah-toes. Your post is inaccurate in the whole, and shifts context to suit. I am happy to set the record straight for myself. I would like to withdraw any remarks which may in turn effect the perception of slander or defamation on any party anywhere (which if you look in a dictionary are listed together, the latter as under synonyms of slander). Now that thats settled may i say for myself and nobody else that it is my humble opinion that if anybody enters somebody elses establishment to convey anything other than to partake of the proprietors services then in that instance is he not obliged by the letter of the law and the spirit of the law to communicate with the proprietor? Should john o donoghue have at least addressed the proprietor of the shop first, on entry, or should he hav walked past him and began to address the customers and offer them flyers without prior consent. You are sincerely welcome to reply privately, if you wish, i think the horse has bolted now as far as this thread is concerned - even xclusiv barber himself who began this topic, attempted to end the topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

May I suggest that we move all this bickering and he-said she-said nonsense away from the forum and adopt a more mature approach?

I vote for pistols at dawn.

Advertisement