Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Xclusiv Barber

oeb wrote: »
    May I suggest that we move all this bickering and he-said she-said nonsense away from the forum and adopt a more mature approach?

I vote for pistols at dawn.

haha LOL. God guys, i only brought up the story as a humorous aside. Good grief what a kerfuffle. I'm sorry certain posters perceive my satirical bluntness as ranting. I prefer to think of it as the honest blurtings of an old f@rt in difficult times. My verbal meanderings are intended to raise a smile not world war three. I would like to acknowledge regattaqueens post which (i think) is addressed to me. To answer very briefly, the person in question entered my 1st floor shop, walked past me, started trying to hand flyers to customers who made clear they didn't want them. I politely pointed out i'd prefer he didn't. He ignored me. He continued down the line of customers. His assistant however came over to me flyer outstretched. I politely said no thanks i'm not interested thank you. I did have to ask the politician twice and i felt his attitude most unfortunate and unwelcome. And i am very welcoming in my shop, all are welcome.

I would like to take my leave of this thread now and say goodbye. I joined the thread to basically provide a bit of craic, a bit of a laugh in these terrible times. Perhaps some posts were over zealous or over stepped the mark. Thats the comic in me, the cheeky child inside this aging mouthy man. I wont change or apologise for this as its a form of turbo charged positivity and it got me through some very difficult times i guess. And i guess I'm too old for virtual gang warfare, biting, fighting, semantics, pedantics, slandering, pandering. Everybody (yes everybody) who posts in this thread is welcome in my shop at xclusiv barber, 15 new street, killarney. My apologies to those whose skin is not thick enough to withstand my tongue. No offence was ever intended. Perhaps a layer of gelatin? sellotape? latex!!! (pvc for halo kitty!! ) might help? Or perhaps a balm. Joke, guys, for those of you unsure. If i may impart a few boring old f@rt words may i say in all seriousness, for once, Best of luck to ye all and take care of yourselves in these tough times, sincerely, god knows we all need it. I will be around the various threads on boards, but as for killarney thread, No, i will keep my ascerbic wit and thoughts for the real killarney and leave this virtual killarney to ye. Ye are welcome to call to me for real, i cater for ladies and gents, or even anytime for a free coffee and a laugh or a bloodyminded heated debate. Genuine regards to all. Adios. Eamonn (xclusiv barber)

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    Can someone tell me how much is a dry hair cut for a female in Killarney...newly unemployed and making cutbacks on certain things...

check your private messages for advice. Hope it helps. xb

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

bergkamp10 wrote: »
    I read the original posts, before edit. I also clearly read kfk originally use the word REMOVED not EDITED, before the post was itself edited!! QUOTE]

You couldn't possibly have read it clearly as the word "REMOVED" was not in the original post. The reason my post was edited was because the word slanderous was misspelled. Also, there is no need to send me a private message when you reply to my posts on this forum. I get an email notification when there is a new post on the Killarney tread. Same goes to Xclusiv Barber. No need to PM me when you respond to my posts.. It just make me think that the same person is posting from two different usernames. Thats me finished with this issue.

kfk wrote: »
    I read the original posts, before edit. I also clearly read kfk originally use the word REMOVED not EDITED, before the post was itself edited!! QUOTE]

You couldn't possibly have read it clearly as the word "REMOVED" was not in the original post. The reason my post was edited was because the word slanderous was misspelled. Also, there is no need to send me a private message when you reply to my posts on this forum. I get an email notification when there is a new post on the Killarney tread. Same goes to Xclusiv Barber. No need to PM me when you respond to my posts.. It just make me think that the same person is posting from two different usernames. Thats me finished with this issue.

this has got nothing to do with me, nor did i ever raise any arguement with you did i. Nor do i wish to. I have stated i am no longer posting here, just to ask kindly leave me out of your argument. As for my identity i have always been transparent,as above, i use the username xclusiv barber, which is the name of my shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bergkamp10

kfk wrote: »

You couldn't possibly have read it clearly as the word "REMOVED" was not in the original post. *****the mistake is mine. I apologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 regattaqueen

This has descended into a farce, libel/slander etc etc have been mentioned more in posts by xclusiv barber and bergkamp10 than by any other poster. Its not the wit in the posts that is the problem!

I was about to ask if bergkamp10 would also be leaving the forum, maybe when xclusiv barber logs out and bergkamp10 logs on we will get an answer. The similarities between you too (yes I do mean xclusiv barber and bergkamp10) are striking: you both joined boards in February,both own your own businesses and are both married with five children!

Coincidence...why not:p

i moved my wife myself and my five children to killarney four years ago.
    Which is prob why i was lucky enough that she married me and we've five amazing kids!

I'm a sole trader wit children and a wife who's a full time mum, so i'm taking it up the @ss pretty hard as it is, vat hike, child ben cut, childcare subsidy scrapped, new business grant scrapped etc etc etc etc....

Well done regattaqueen you've cracked it! I did leave enough clues, it was meant as a bit of fun. I'm sorry if it ever wasn't. Your quite right re slander libel and so on, i guess it got stuck in he said she said nonsense over a silly story about a politicians visit. I genuinely thought that anyone who knows xclusiv barber knows i'm an arsenal nut and word would get out and ye would have got me straight away, that was the point. So Every day i'm dropping more clues in, so well done, it was just for a harmless bit of fun for ye, ultimately only at my expense, i hope, and really i'm sorry for the descension into farce. The whole worlds gone to hell, were all skint and trying to get by, and i was trying to raise a smile in these not so happy times. To anyone who did get a smile out of the xclusiv bergkamp barber mutant, thats the spirit, chin up. To those i offended, nothing other than rib poking was in my heart i assure you and any offence is regretted, sincerely sorry, just a bit of escapism in a dreadful catastrophic economy. My sentiment remains the same, you are all absolutely most welcome in my shop for a coffee, on me, and a laugh or a good heated debate, anytime. Genuine regards and goodwishes and goodbye. E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 regattaqueen

Well done regattaqueen you've cracked it! I did leave enough clues, it was meant as a bit of fun. i would have thought that anyone who knows xclusiv barber knows i'm an arsenal nut and word would get out and ye would have got it straight away. Every day i was dropping more clues in, so well done, it was just for a harmless bit of fun for ye, ultimately at my expense, i'm sorry for the descension into farce. The whole worlds gone to hell, were all skint and trying to get by, and i was trying to raise a smile in these not so happy times. To anyone who did get a smile out of the xclusiv bergkamp barber, thats the spirit, chin up. To those i offended, nothing other than rib poking was in my heart i assure you and any offence is regretted, sincerely sorry, just a bit of escapism in a dreadful catastrophic economy. My sentiment remains the same, you are all most welcome in my shop for a coffee, on me, and a laugh or a heated debate, anytime. Genuine regards and goodbyes. E.

Funny...I'm not so sure:rolleyes: Caught out in a lie and backtracking, maybe:eek:

Funny...I'm not so sure:rolleyes: Caught out in a lie and backtracking, maybe:eek:

caught out in a lie? you give me far too much credit. Those who know me in killarney, i genuinely believed the two username thingy would have been picked up ages ago, god knows i made my personal identity known weeks ago, and made many similar references, switching usernames, always logging on from the same machine? Anyways, gotta go. Regattaqueen, you tough cookie you!

• Advertisement

From now I will only post in this guise i promise or lordy strike me down. posting very rarely from hereon. (thank god i hear ye say!) Seriously though, just wanted to point out i was saddened to hear today two more shops about to go in lower new street on top of the five just recently gone nearby. I wont name them while they're trading, perhaps they have signs up is dunno but sadly they will be closed v soon, next couple of days i'm told. And the rain's back........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

caught out in a lie? you give me far too much credit. Those who know me in killarney, i genuinely believed the two username thingy would have been picked up ages ago, god knows i made my personal identity known weeks ago, and made many similar references, switching usernames, always logging on from the same machine? Anyways, gotta go. Regattaqueen, you tough cookie you!

may i apologise to you for my mad waffle, sorry, i did not know that you were indeed a hairdresser with a very good reputation, and run a very good business, hope to do business with you when in killarney a town i love to visit, i am sorry once again, and i hope you acccept my apology

goat2 wrote: »
    may i apologise to you for my mad waffle, sorry, i did not know that you were indeed a hairdresser with a very good reputation, and run a very good business, hope to do business with you when in killarney a town i love to visit, i am sorry once again, and i hope you acccept my apology

my dear chap, apology accepted if you wish but not at all necessary. Seems today is a day for acts of contrition all round! No harm done whatsoever, i'm sure i didn't explain brilliantly and you just picked me up wrong. Mind you, between you and me, we increased the posts on a thread averaging one or two posts a week to about twenty posts a day! Your a good sport and i appreciate the post very much. The next time you're in killarney please do call in to my salon and identify yourself and you'll be most welcome to a fantastic haircut at a concessional price, and the coffees on me. Regards, the artist formerly known as xclusiv (thats lame wont ever use it again) sincerely bergkamp10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

and the coffees on me.

You got coffee now?? Sweet deal if so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Yes it is indeed with sadness to hear of more retail stores closing their doors...but i noticed that the euro shop in beech rd still has all it's stock on the shop floor...Maybe they might open again....Or am i wishful thinking.... I think discount stores are needed more so than betting offices in this town...and how many more restaurants will open,,they must be great profit in coffee....

I think discount stores are needed more so than betting offices in this town..

+1 - It actually disgusts me how many bookies there are in Killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Yes it is indeed with sadness to hear of more retail stores closing their doors...but i noticed that the euro shop in beech rd still has all it's stock on the shop floor...Maybe they might open again....Or am i wishful thinking.... ..
    Not under the current owners. They suddenly shut (staff only found out of the blue that they were to close immediatley hence there was no clearout). They may reopen but under new onwers.

siblers wrote: »
    Not under the current owners. They suddenly shut (staff only found out of the blue that they were to close immediatley hence there was no clearout). They may reopen but under new onwers.

only saying what i was told by one of the guys who worked there, he told me that they were all told they were being laid off the very evening they shut and that they might be back in ten days, and he told me that the day they shut

Yes it is indeed with sadness to hear of more retail stores closing their doors...but i noticed that the euro shop in beech rd still has all it's stock on the shop floor...Maybe they might open again....Or am i wishful thinking.... I think discount stores are needed more so than betting offices in this town...and how many more restaurants will open,,they must be great profit in coffee....

halo kitty, did u get that number i sent you? if i can assist let me know. You're totally spot on re discount stores & bookies. Dunno where the bloody money is coming in from the bookies to stay open. maybe from certain fatcat banker topbrass, getting rich off us, instead of in jail where they belong? dunno. The discount store owner is same chap who owned all the roxy stores and a few discount stores and i was told by that same employee of discount store from my previous post that those stores are all gone now. Re restaurants& coffee shops, owners who have spoken to me say its going very badly. These owners tell me, and i'm merely passing on their opinion not mine, a huge killer for them was the ban on putting out sandwich boards, street advertising for their cafes etc. Many of these proprietors have ceased trading, handed the lease to someone else to have a go, or are still battling on. And the absolute best of luck to any and all of ye. Mayor michael g said in the papers at the time of the ban, he was doing it so killarney could do well in the tidy towns. Make of that what you will, i wont offer my opinion lest i upset any thin skinned one-time visitors. Regulars can probably guess what i think of such a ban in these times. To each their own. But hey, killarney won its section, and finished second nationally, losing out by a couple of points to tallanstown, a tiny village i happen to know in co louth. Which is great for killarney NATIONALLY, (genuinely the award is good, its a beautiful place). I just wonder, LOCALLY, how many jobs were lost by that ban and how many jobs were created by the second place finish. I dont know the answer, just wondering is all.

Anyway Peak season usually kicks in from paddys day doesn't it, so lets hope all this awful phucking shop closing and sickening job loss is nearly at an end and things will pick up soon. Having experienced many places for various long and short periods of time, I MAY be in a minority of one, so be it, but i happen to think, weighing up pros and cons, killarney is a fantastic place to live, make lasting friends, rear your children send them to school etc, watch them grow safely etc. I do think its a cycle, were on the awful down side, vicious times, things will get much better but that might take a few years. I think, and its not based in fact all you one- time posters, i merely think that the one thing killarney has going for it most of all is the people of killarney. CHIN UP

• Advertisement

You're totally spot on re discount stores & bookies. Dunno where the bloody money is coming in from the bookies to stay open. maybe from certain bankers, getting rich off us, instead of in jail where they belong?

More like every common Joe in town who has €10 in their pocket tbh - I know an awful amount of people who gamble, mainly on football - it's the same people who apply for loans without having sufficient collateral or savings due to firing money at Paddy Power et.al

I'm not standing up for the Banks btw - they gave out the loans but I've seen some staff get heckled lately and it disgusts me - they were doing their job, trying to achieve targets set out by top brass, they're the ones who need to be asked serious questions.

Apologies if I've gone off topic there but I know some of the staff in AIB Killarney and they're a lovely bunch so kinda gets my back up when people just brand them thieves etc. :(
    These owners tell me, and i'm merely passing on their opinion not mine, a huge killer for them was the ban on putting out sandwich boards, street advertising for their cafes etc. Many of these proprietors have ceased trading, handed the lease to someone else to have a go, or are still battling on. And the absolute best of luck to any and all of ye. Mayor michael g said in the papers at the time of the ban, he was doing it so killarney could do well in the tidy towns. Make of that what you will, i wont offer my opinion lest i upset any thin skinned one-time visitors.

While I know it's hit businesses hard losing that form of advertising - there's surely other ways of promoting businesses - I was just looking at websites there for businesses in Killarney, direcotry styled ones - whilst well organised, aren't very interactive....

An idea I've had is the use of interactive touchscreen boards in the town centre - especially by the €2 shop where there's a nice bit of space etc. - A large dash to show tourists where they are, what's near etc.

But also for locals there could be a section for daily deals around the town to promote business.

Obviously I'd be worried about drunken gobshítes vandalising it, but I genuinely think something like this wouldn't cost that much to implement and would benefit both the town & it's businesses greatly

There's surely more ways of promoting businesses using web 2.0 technologies...any thoughts??

Thanks for all the private messages, all of ye who sent Glad ye took the dual identity in the good sport it was meant! I received a message stating its believed that regattaqueen is ALSO a re-reg allegedly. I just wondered to myself, what was it screaminmidget quite rightly pointed out to me once about pots and kettles.... ? must check old posts and remind myself. Anyway, Stay classy killarney!

PaulieC wrote: »
    More like every common Joe in town who has €10 in their pocket tbh - I know an awful amount of people who gamble, mainly on football - it's the same people who apply for loans without having sufficient collateral or savings due to firing money at Paddy Power et.al

I'm not standing up for the Banks btw - they gave out the loans but I've seen some staff get heckled lately and it disgusts me - they were doing their job, trying to achieve targets set out by top brass, they're the ones who need to be asked serious questions.

Apologies if I've gone off topic there but I know some of the staff in AIB Killarney and they're a lovely bunch so kinda gets my back up when people just brand them thieves etc. :(

While I know it's hit businesses hard losing that form of advertising - there's surely other ways of promoting businesses - I was just looking at websites there for businesses in Killarney, direcotry styled ones - whilst well organised, aren't very interactive....

An idea I've had is the use of interactive touchscreen boards in the town centre - especially by the €2 shop where there's a nice bit of space etc. - A large dash to show tourists where they are, what's near etc.

But also for locals there could be a section for daily deals around the town to promote business.

Obviously I'd be worried about drunken gobshítes vandalising it, but I genuinely think something like this wouldn't cost that much to implement and would benefit both the town & it's businesses greatly

There's surely more ways of promoting businesses using web 2.0 technologies...any thoughts??

spot on about the banks, the worker bees actually doing the work are BRILLIANT PEOPLE, i know many, ALL blameless and getting unfair flack which is absolutely disgusting i totally agree, i'm only talking sarcastically about the guys we know should be in jail. I didn't name them for fear of upsetting any would be thin skinned thread one-off posters, so apologies for the choice of words perhaps (previous post re-edited accordingly). Re business initiatives, how about those pay as you go internet pay kiosk things u see in cities in ireland, and towns worldwide, with a screen and a keyboard, wouldn't be accessible after hours and could be placed in all the malls in very public places, Euro a minute or 50c or whatever.

spot on about the banks, the worker bees actually doing the work are BRILLIANT PEOPLE, i know many, ALL blameless and getting unfair flack which is absolutely disgusting i totally agree, i'm only talking sarcastically about the guys we know should be in jail. I didn't name them for fear of upsetting any would be thin skinned thread one-off posters, so apologies for the choice of words perhaps (previous post re-edited accordingly). Re business initiatives, how about those pay as you go internet pay kiosk things u see in cities in ireland, and towns worldwide, with a screen and a keyboard, wouldn't be accessible after hours and could be placed in all the malls in very public places, Euro a minute or 50c or whatever.

I think interactive marketing would be the way to go - in addition to helping with directions etc. for tourists - genuinely think the standalone kiosks would benefit the town - costing would be the main issue however.

Even for shops around town with the on street advertising taken away - this might sound ridiculous and ignorant of me - but a 20" flatscreen TV could be purchased for €200/250 - which is a large outlay for a business but you could pop the TV inside the front window of the business, stick a USB key in it and pop on a Powerpoint presentation with Business features, Daily specials etc.

I know that wouldn't work especially well for yourself Bergkamp10 being upstairs and all but it's just a thought

Indeed. Ill have to stick with online advertising and the auld advertiser and and word of mouth for the moment, slowly slowly an all that. In the main your idea is a very sound idea indeed and would prove thoroughly cost effective in the end and an ideal replacement for the sort of advertising now banned. Well i think so, anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Even for shops around town with the on street advertising taken away - this might sound ridiculous and ignorant of me - but a 20" flatscreen TV could be purchased for €200/250 - which is a large outlay for a business but you could pop the TV inside the front window of the business, stick a USB key in it and pop on a Powerpoint presentation with Business features, Daily specials etc.
    Tbh I think that would be ugly. I don't understand why they banned those boards in front of cafés etc advertising. I don't see what's so ugly about them. :confused:

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Tbh I think that would be ugly. I don't understand why they banned those boards in front of cafés etc advertising. I don't see what's so ugly about them. :confused:

well the TV can be as small as you wish it could even be a digital photo frame on the door - once the message gets across and if it works as an advertising technique then I'd go for it y'know - only a suggestion anyway :) Plus for Killarney it'd be something different - it'd catch peoples eyes

tbf - I used to hate walking through Killarney - main st. in particular as you'd be dodging both standalone signs and people holding them - there was too many and the pavements in Killarney are narrow enough as it is imo

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

well the TV can be as small as you wish it could even be a digital photo frame on the door - once the message gets across and if it works as an advertising technique then I'd go for it y'know - only a suggestion anyway :) Plus for Killarney it'd be something different - it'd catch peoples eyes

tbf - I used to hate walking through Killarney - main st. in particular as you'd be dodging both standalone signs and people holding them - there was too many and the pavements in Killarney are narrow enough as it is imo

Would the sandwich boards really make much of a difference to businesses in Killarney? Locals already know which shops are good value and which are not. Tourists will stroll along and look in every window regardless. I guess the businesses off the main streets would benefit from the boards though. I used to hate dodging them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

What gets me is this constant signage 'Closing Down Sale' as a desperate means of getting people into the shop and then everything at full price!!! It is an unfortunate fact but retailers will have to look at having genuine reductions. The quality of Dunnes Stores, Penneys and now Tesco clothing means that charging €30++ for a t-shirt etc is a waste of time. The consumer does not have the money any more.

As to eating out .... only Milano's seem to be active in offering 'deals'. (Actually BurgerKing so as well...credit where it is due!!).

...we will all have to accept that hard times are here and money is tight!!

I don't agree with Sandwich boards- they are a nuisance on a footpath and a danger as well. Why not use 'Chalk Boards' on the front entrance etc to attract custom - but put your best genuine offer on it and make it enticing to get customers in.

• Advertisement

Quick question - last time I was down I went for coffee in Lir with a friend and noticed one or two people were using laptops, android phones etc. as I think there was free wifi available - are many businesses doing this in Killarney?

Could be one way to coax in customers if they only bought a coffee or something it'd still be worth it

Advertisement