Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

This might be of interest to some on this forum. Copied and pasted from another site.

ONE OF KILLARNEY'S MOST IMPORTANT HERITAGE SITES TO GET WORLDWIDE TV EXPOSURE

Following his success with the widely acclaimed COAST series, Neil Oliver and BBC2 have just commenced screening a new documentary series titled A History of Ancient Britain. It commenced screening on Wednesday February 9th and Episode 4 on Wednesday March 2nd, will extensively feature Killarney's Bronze Age Ross Island Copper Mines. In their pre-production research for the new programme, the BBC producers identified the Ross Island Copper Mines as being of notable importance during the Bronze Age period in the development of these Islands.

The Programme will include an on-site interview with Archaeologist Professor Billy O'Brien of NUI Galway. Billy O'Brien and his team began work in 1992 and over a number of years they uncovered what is arguably Killarney's oldest story with national and international connections, dating back some 4500 years.

The programme on March 2nd is a must see for everyone with an interest in Killarney's heritage, and Killarney Chamber is delighted to have been involved in assisting the BBC in finalising arrangements for the programme shoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bergkamp10

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Tbh I think that would be ugly. I don't understand why they banned those boards in front of cafés etc advertising. I don't see what's so ugly about them. :confused:

if i may, i think the idea is to have the screens discreetly on display in shop windows, which lets face it are vehicles for display anyway, 20in is quite small in the context of a full window. As for the question of why signs were banned? Tidy towns comp! As i stated in an earlier post, it was reported in the kerrys eye the mayor of killarney of the time decided that all advertising on street, sandwich boards etc were unsightly NOT because a sign was ugly but because there were so MANY of them, and banned them so as to give killarney its best chance in the tidy towns competition. I know one family run restaurant in killarney with a fantastic married couple who worked so hard running it, which was effectively ruined overnight with the loss of the their advertising signs, as they could no longer get the message to the passer-by about breakfast and lunch specials, which people react to on seeing the signs. There was a huge campaign in the media to plead not to bring in the ban. In my humble opinion, I did not think the removal of the signs was the way to go given the horrendous vicious downturn this town is suffering. In my opinion, Keeping businesses open at all costs, within reason, in these horrific times should be the priority and speaking only for myself, I would have happily put up with the minor nuisance of signs if it kept one single shop open. But perhaps the tidy towns was more important?? I dont know, thats for the ex mayor to answer not me.

Noticed this evening skelligs chocolate cafe never came back, despite advertising re opening in dec then again in jan. Just been by there, stripped clean

Masala wrote: »
    What gets me is this constant signage 'Closing Down Sale' as a desperate means of getting people into the shop and then everything at full price!!! It is an unfortunate fact but retailers will have to look at having genuine reductions. The quality of Dunnes Stores, Penneys and now Tesco clothing means that charging €30++ for a t-shirt etc is a waste of time. The consumer does not have the money any more.

As to eating out .... only Milano's seem to be active in offering 'deals'. (Actually BurgerKing so as well...credit where it is due!!).

...we will all have to accept that hard times are here and money is tight!!

I don't agree with Sandwich boards- they are a nuisance on a footpath and a danger as well. Why not use 'Chalk Boards' on the front entrance etc to attract custom - but put your best genuine offer on it and make it enticing to get customers in.

spot on on the closing down sales, retail and eating discount points. Re sandwich boards, Chalk boards is a fair compromise, they are not illegal when in your own doorway. The restaurant i referred to was one well known by locals but was up in the courtyard, so tourists would never have seen it without a sandwich board down in the street. Its a shame there wasn't some form of compromise to keep everyone happy, maybe exceptions of some sort for shops up little lanes, however they'd work it i dunno, rather than an all out ban. I totally agree they are ugly little metal phuckers, just hate to think the ban may have helped any killarney businesses go under, as if things aren't bad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

PaulieC wrote: »
    well the TV can be as small as you wish it could even be a digital photo frame on the door - once the message gets across and if it works as an advertising technique then I'd go for it y'know - only a suggestion anyway :) Plus for Killarney it'd be something different - it'd catch peoples eyes
    Fair enough. I guess I was thinking that there was a danger of every shop/cafe ending up looking like a TV/Electrical shop or ending up in a situation like in Tralee on the road between the County Council offices and the regional hospital where there's a monstrosity of a video display on the side of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i picked up the killarney advertiser when in killarney, it is free to take away, and i found it very helpful with information on the locality, i think that is a good way for people to advertise their services, i do find that when i visit other areas around the country and if they have their own mag like the advertiser, i pick it up and find out about the area that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

bergkamp10 wrote: »
    only saying what i was told by one of the guys who worked there, he told me that they were all told they were being laid off the very evening they shut and that they might be back in ten days, and he told me that the day they shut

Well I worked there and they are definitly not coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Reading the Killarney thread over the last 2 weeks has brought a smile to me and I can now disclose who I am.

I am Pat H and I was a 50% shareholder and the manager of Urban and as someone who has had a business in Killarney for 8 years imo the problems of the town have a lot more to do with advertising.

Killarney is no longer an option for the majority of Kerry people as a shopping destination and this is because the town does not offer the choice of shops to attract the comsumer.:mad::mad:

One has to remember that the town is controlled by 4-5 families and their agents.eg solicitor/auctioneer and to deal with these people you had to be within the loop.:(

Solicitors in this Town respect a Murderer/Rapist more than they do of a Tennant who is trying their best to pay rent /rates etc

Take for example PQ. He already had "tourist" shops but in order to keep the rest of us retailers out he offered higher rents than anyone else so Landlords/Agents would offer him first choice while other landlords were saying "if A can get that,I want it"

"Noticed this evening skelligs chocolate cafe never came back, despite advertising re opening in dec then again in jan. Just been by there, stripped clean"

There is no possible way that they can afford the rent of around 40-50K per year plus all the charges.

What gets me is this constant signage 'Closing Down Sale' as a desperate means of getting people into the shop and then everything at full price!!! It is an unfortunate fact but retailers will have to look at having genuine reductions. The quality of Dunnes Stores, Penneys and now Tesco clothing means that charging €30++ for a t-shirt etc is a waste of time. The consumer does not have the money any more.

We sold tee shirts for 14.99 up to 29.99 at normal price, Had jeans for 24.99 to 59.99 normal price but the customer used their option not to come to us and that is the customers right BUT if we as locals of Killarney want the Town to thrive we have a choice to make. Will we buy our products of the local supplier or go out to "little england" and leave the town centre disintigrate.

I'm not standing up for the Banks btw - they gave out the loans but I've seen some staff get heckled lately and it disgusts me - they were doing their job, trying to achieve targets set out by top brass, they're the ones who need to be asked serious questions.

They all got bonuses and are the managers of the future and need to be reminded of the damage which they inflicted on Ireland.

As for the Town Councillors Well enough said

Sorry about the rant and will have a lot more to say in the future

"Solicitors in this Town respect a Murderer/Rapist more than they do of a Tennant who is trying their best to pay rent /rates etc"

Couldn't agree with you more on that. I had to contact a solicitor last year with a genuine problem. I was pretty much told to p*ss off. I think the solicitor was too busy dealing with drink driving cases at the time.

"We sold tee shirts for 14.99 up to 29.99 at normal price, Had jeans for 24.99 to 59.99 normal price but the customer used their option not to come to us and that is the customers right BUT if we as locals of Killarney want the Town to thrive we have a choice to make. Will we buy our products of the local supplier or go out to "little england" and leave the town centre disintigrate."

IMO part of the problem is people looking to buy goods cheaper and cheaper. They head straight to ebay looking for a bargain. What they don't realize is that they are paying as much once they add on postage, ebay fees and paypal fees. Often for a product that doesn't have the same quality either. My other half was looking for brake pads yesterday. Found them on ebay for 28euro inc postage which we thought was very cheap. Needed them in a hurry though so went to agri auto and picked them up for 20euro.

i know you mentioned ebay, i would rather see and feel the material of any goods i purchase, i went for a spin to killarney a week before christmas, to buy a few little gifts, did not know what to buy, i strolled around all the shops, and i did come away with great bargains, was delighted with my day out, did not expect to have such a great outcome, i was able to get more bang for my buck than expected and went home very pleased indeed. i also enjoyed the christmas feeling that day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Shame to see ye go newman10, as I mentioned before in this thread, your shop was the only place in Killarney I could ever find clothes that would fit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

newman10 wrote: »
    They all got bonuses and are the managers of the future and need to be reminded of the damage which they inflicted on Ireland.

I agree with almost everything you've said - and I was terribly sad to see Urban go - I shopped in there a bit and liked it alot.

^ However what you've said above is incorrect and I know this for a fact - I'm not looking to derail the thread into a bítch about the banks, nor am I looking to stand up for them.

But I know alot of the people taking the flack at the moment aren't the top brass, area managers in the back offices etc. who did recieve bonuses - it's the front counter staff who did not...that's what bothered me with a previous post

Reading the Killarney thread over the last 2 weeks has brought a smile to me and I can now disclose who I am.

I am Pat H and I was a 50% shareholder and the manager of Urban and as someone who has had a business in Killarney for 8 years imo the problems of the town have a lot more to do with advertising.

Killarney is no longer an option for the majority of Kerry people as a shopping destination and this is because the town does not offer the choice of shops to attract the comsumer.:mad::mad:

One has to remember that the town is controlled by 4-5 families and their agents.eg solicitor/auctioneer and to deal with these people you had to be within the loop.:(

Solicitors in this Town respect a Murderer/Rapist more than they do of a Tennant who is trying their best to pay rent /rates etc

Take for example PQ. He already had "tourist" shops but in order to keep the rest of us retailers out he offered higher rents than anyone else so Landlords/Agents would offer him first choice while other landlords were saying "if A can get that,I want it"

"Noticed this evening skelligs chocolate cafe never came back, despite advertising re opening in dec then again in jan. Just been by there, stripped clean"

There is no possible way that they can afford the rent of around 40-50K per year plus all the charges.

We sold tee shirts for 14.99 up to 29.99 at normal price, Had jeans for 24.99 to 59.99 normal price but the customer used their option not to come to us and that is the customers right BUT if we as locals of Killarney want the Town to thrive we have a choice to make. Will we buy our products of the local supplier or go out to "little england" and leave the town centre disintigrate.

I'm not standing up for the Banks btw - they gave out the loans but I've seen some staff get heckled lately and it disgusts me - they were doing their job, trying to achieve targets set out by top brass, they're the ones who need to be asked serious questions.

As for the Town Councillors Well enough said

Sorry about the rant and will have a lot more to say in the future

never apologise for being RIGHT. I agree with paulie c on the banks. But Much respect to your post and was very sorry to see ye go and you are so spot on in everything, as I have found out since i went out on my own in october10. Businesses complain about how tralee squashes everything in, so many shops etc, and can still manage to get a manorwest shopping centre and the outlying things like the bowling etc. And now they're talking about knocking down austin stacks gaa to make room for a new mall, they've just knocked down all the former traveller community houses. Can't all be total coincidence most businesses would prefer to join an already packed ship, ie tralee. I do think this downturn will ultimately shake the phuck out of the disgusting behind the scenes running of killarney that you allude to, which is no bad thing, and ultimately killarney has much promise in the future, but some serious backchannel sh1t has to change. Best wishes in your future plans. Sincere regards, eamonn s., double usernaming dual identity crisis (!)proprietor of xclusiv barber.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

and again not to hijack the thread....I can see that there a lot of Self-Employed on this thread - but the PAYE man is getting really screwed over.

I appreciate that we should all shop local...but circumstances have changed and money is tight. Not wanting to whinge on the point but IS THERE ANYONE RUNNING THE COUNTRY????

Does the Government not realise that everything is going UP in price and no-one seems to have control over them Coming up for me in the next few months - Petrol increase, VHI increase, Car Insurance (I expect), House Insurance (guaranteed), College Fees Increase. Came home today for lunch and find letter from Mortgage Bank that my mortgage is going up €30 a month. Where am I to fund these increase when the Government is screwing me on my take-home.

So I must look after myself and get the best value for my buck. I must shop around and if it is cheaper on the internet, in Tralee or on ebay- then that its where I must buy it from.

I am afraid that there is worse to come as far as i can predict and there will be more problems in the retail/entertainment/holiday etc sectors as people have to cut back to bare essentials from now on.

and again not to hijack the thread....I can see that there a lot of Self-Employed on this thread - but the PAYE man is getting really screwed over.

I appreciate that we should all shop local...but circumstances have changed and money is tight. Not wanting to whinge on the point but IS THERE ANYONE RUNNING THE COUNTRY????

Does the Government not realise that everything is going UP in price and no-one seems to have control over them Coming up for me in the next few months - Petrol increase, VHI increase, Car Insurance (I expect), House Insurance (guaranteed), College Fees Increase. Came home today for lunch and find letter from Mortgage Bank that my mortgage is going up €30 a month. Where am I to fund these increase when the Government is screwing me on my take-home.

So I must look after myself and get the best value for my buck. I must shop around and if it is cheaper on the internet, in Tralee or on ebay- then that its where I must buy it from.

I am afraid that there is worse to come as far as i can predict and there will be more problems in the retail/entertainment/holiday etc sectors as people have to cut back to bare essentials from now on.

thats not hijacking my man, its realism!

Notice another dual username person hasn't been back since her expose on my own little deliberate comic virtual double life.(with apologies for not giving the credit to somebody else entirely, kfk, a good sport who ACTUALLY spotted the caper FIRST!) Ah rattlebags, i miss those icy, posts.

We all got screwed around. Without the person who started as Self Employed, the company which now employs the PAYE worker would not exist.

No I am not saying that we should shop local but we had better think about where we spend out Euro because I would prefer to live in a country whereby we have thriving local economies rather than the UK/USA models of sprawl.

Are we buying Dunnes/Tesco/SuperValue milk which may come from Tyrone or Armagh and the wonder why Kerry group want to sell its milk division and then wonder why someplace has closed.

To survive this recession imo we have to look to our own. Be part of the community not be of a community. Everyone is struggling but it is us who will determine who will survive

My post should have been to thank any who came to our shop. The custom is very much appreciated and I got to make new friends in what is really a good Town with some great people in it.

Thanks

Pat

We all got screwed around. Without the person who started as Self Employed, the company which now employs the PAYE worker would not exist.

No I am not saying that we should shop local but we had better think about where we spend out Euro because I would prefer to live in a country whereby we have thriving local economies rather than the UK/USA models of sprawl.

Are we buying Dunnes/Tesco/SuperValue milk which may come from Tyrone or Armagh and the wonder why Kerry group want to sell its milk division and then wonder why someplace has closed.

To survive this recession imo we have to look to our own. Be part of the community not be of a community. Everyone is struggling but it is us who will determine who will survive

i cannot understand why people do not buy local produce, right now there is plenty around and at a very good price, you cannot beat the taste of turnips carrots, parsnips, cabbage from the local farmers markets, the veg only uprooted from the ground hours earlier and as cheap as tescos and the rest which could be out of the ground for weeks and tasteless, i also buy from local bucher, would rather eat a smaller piece of good locally sourced meat than have my plate full of meat that god knows where it came from, bread locally is also great, i dont beleive in putting extra petrol in tank of car just to get a piece of cheap meat or veg, after all what you saved on grocery, you spent on petrol and wear and tear of car, money was made round to go round, not out

Oh er yes of course. her second username was regattaqueen,not rattlebags. Indeed. You (ye) swan into my virtual life (lives!) with 3 quickfire posts, 1night, then you up and leave, not even a goodbye? (Sniffle, sigh)

I don't know how you figure that regattaqueen is a dual account. Seeing as I was the only person other than regattaqueen arguing with you on the whole slander thing, Im guessing that you are implying that I have a dual account kfk/regattaqueen. I thought all off this nonsense was put to bed but you seem unable to let it go. I sent you a PM 2 days ago wishing yourself, your family and your business all the best in Killarney and I also apologized for making you feel that you needed to leave the forum. I will contact a mod to see if they can clarify that it is not a dual account. We don't all think like you xclusiv barber. I don't need to create double accounts to back up what I am posting just because no one else agrees with me. I have been living in Killarney all my life and I think my time would be better spent by going for a walk around Ross castle than having to take petty swipes from you on this thread. So thats where I will leave it. Count me out. You have made this thread a little more eXCLUSIVe.

• Advertisement

Absolutely not at all my good man.you have taken me up totally wrong. I pointed out in the previous post that i credited regattaqueen for catching me out when it was in fact you that spotted the wind- up first, so i was, in the context of the joke, giving you the credit. For the record i know that you are not her. i never ever thought that and never claimed that!!! How i conclude the double username? I was told. And my banter with regattaqueen has nothing to do with you!! I was merely jokingly paying you due credit for catching me out originally nothing else. sorry that my post was massively misinterpreted by you and accidentally caused offence- the absolutely opposite was my intention kfk. You jumped to a massive assumption there and took an unnecessary swipe at me as i wasn't even talking about you, and after we had PM'd and clear the air i thought? I'm sorry, for my part, for any offence caused. ill keep it conservative on this thread from now on. Sincere regards.

Envy is closing down tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭jrochie

Hey all,

You might have seen the article in this weeks Advertiser about this, a new website has been set up by some Killarney locals, www.tv5.ie and tomorrow it will be streaming live coverage of the election count from the Killarney Sports & Leisure centre. The plan is to give live updates every hour on the half hour. If your interested in the count then feel free to check it out. At the moment it is just a basic one page site, but all going well we hope to expand on it in the future.

It is sponsored my the Killarney Advertiser and MD O'Sheas who have both been very generous in their support. The site will be live all day long, and can be accessed by both PC & Laptop, unfortunately smart phones that do not have flash enabled will not be able to see the feed. I am aware that iPhone users who have the Skyfire app installed will be able to watch the feed but quality can not be guaranteed.

thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Fair Play to the people involved , what a great idea...and maybe it will be used for other events that will take place in Killarney and the surrounding areas......
    What a pity we do not have a hall in town that people could pop in and view the count. like in the past we had the town hall, and then the Aras Padraig...and the excitement in the town with the up to the minute news spreading of the results.....

jrochie wrote: »
    Hey all,

You might have seen the article in this weeks Advertiser about this, a new website has been set up by some Killarney locals, www.tv5.ie and tomorrow it will be streaming live coverage of the election count from the Killarney Sports & Leisure centre. The plan is to give live updates every hour on the half hour. If your interested in the count then feel free to check it out. At the moment it is just a basic one page site, but all going well we hope to expand on it in the future.

It is sponsored my the Killarney Advertiser and MD O'Sheas who have both been very generous in their support. The site will be live all day long, and can be accessed by both PC & Laptop, unfortunately smart phones that do not have flash enabled will not be able to see the feed. I am aware that iPhone users who have the Skyfire app installed will be able to watch the feed but quality can not be guaranteed.

thanks guys

fantastic idea and initiative. Very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Well election over, so now we have 3 new TDs in South Kerry...are ye happy with the results..2 IND and 1 Fine gael...Goodbye John O Donughue with his pension...Why does that make me feel sick to my stomach....

Two independents, one fleming, turned his back on ff, one healy rae is aligned to ff. And some young blood in griffin fg. Its a change, i guess we give them the chance to make a difference, and while not holding our breath, we'll cross our fingers. But the sun is out, and where there's life there's hope, would ye say?

To be honest, I'm generally more wary of independents than anything else. At least political parties, weather you agree with their policies or not, tend to have one collective agenda (more or less). They enter government with collective aims and the weight of numbers to try and push them.

Independents however, seem to take much more of a mercenary role. They tend to side with whoever will will do the most for their specific area. They don't have the weight to actually help change the country.

Thats a fair point, on a national scale. What do you think about here in our own backyard re the three we got. From a killarney standpoint would you say its a reasonable outcome given what was on offer? Would young griffin be good for killarney? Also, healyrae has basically been saying 'just give me a chance'. fleming will perhaps be interesting having turned his back on ff to go solo.

• Advertisement

Thats a fair point, on a national scale. What do you think about here in our own backyard re the three we got. From a killarney standpoint would you say its a reasonable outcome given what was on offer? Would young griffin be good for killarney? Also, healyrae has basically been saying 'just give me a chance'. fleming will perhaps be interesting having turned his back on ff to go solo.

I don't vote independent. I don't care how nice the guy is, I just think it's pointless when you are trying to get the country as a whole to do something.

Take JHR for instance. Done alot for his constituency, particularly the Kenmare / Kilgarvin side of it, but he has not done much for the country on the whole. For an example, take a look at the conditions he set for his vote on the finance bill.

Advertisement