Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭jrochie

Hey once again everyone,

Just wanted to thank ye all for your messages of support and thank everyone who used the site over the weekend, about 50 visits came from Boards.ie so really appreciate it. We nearly hit the 1000 unique visitors mark falling just short, which is absolutely fantastic and a big congrats to John Clifton who put some manic hours into it over the last couple of weeks.

Hopefully all going well we will continue the streams whenever possible. If anyone has any suggestions and idea's for events or locations for streams then by all means please pass them on.

Thanks again guys!

BTW was in and of Killarney last week, great to see a bit of a buzz around the town again, hope its back again soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bergkamp10

Just heard what the official exact total sums payable to John O'Donoghue will be. For those who dont know and might be curious, John O'Donoghue's pension will be €108,000 per year for the rest of his life. Plus a one off redundancy lumpsum package of €225,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

Go Kilarney have cousins fromthere . was in EDDIE ROCKETS wed and it is the best one yet well done :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 curranjames

Crash in Fossa - looks like someone has died.

RIP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Crash in Fossa - looks like someone has died.

RIP

Yeah heard there was guards and ambulances all over the place, terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

where was the car accident? how many cars?

kfk wrote: »
    where was the car accident? how many cars?

It was at the turnoff to the gap of dunloe, dunno any more about it, im sure it will be on radio kerry at 9.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

Just heard, the Killarney to Killorglin road will be closed until 1pm tomorrow. Very sad to hear that someone has died. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It was at the turnoff to the gap of dunloe, dunno any more about it, im sure it will be on radio kerry at 9.00.

The turnoff to the right after the golden nugget as you go to milltown?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭amovingstatue

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/109-01.html
    car and a van at fossa

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    The turnoff to the right after the golden nugget as you go to milltown?

No turnoff to the left after the church. If your pulling out onto the main road from there it can often be dangerous as the cars on the main road go at high speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

oeb wrote: »
    I don't vote independent. I don't care how nice the guy is, I just think it's pointless when you are trying to get the country as a whole to do something.

Take JHR for instance. Done alot for his constituency, particularly the Kenmare / Kilgarvin side of it, but he has not done much for the country on the whole. For an example, take a look at the conditions he set for his vote on the finance bill.

Have to say that am a little dissapointed Tom Sheahan did not make it.

No TD from the largest Urban area :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

bergkamp10 wrote: »
    Just heard what the official exact total sums payable to John O'Donoghue will be. For those who dont know and might be curious, John O'Donoghue's pension will be €108,000 per year for the rest of his life. Plus a one off redundancy lumpsum package of €225,000.
    Absolutely Ridiculous.
    newman10 wrote: »
    Have to say that am a little dissapointed Tom Sheahan did not make it.

No TD from the largest Urban area :confused::confused:

He did sweet fúck all in 4 years.... i'm delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

oeb wrote: »
    I don't vote independent. I don't care how nice the guy is, I just think it's pointless when you are trying to get the country as a whole to do something.

Take JHR for instance. Done alot for his constituency, particularly the Kenmare / Kilgarvin side of it, but he has not done much for the country on the whole. For an example, take a look at the conditions he set for his vote on the finance bill.

Think that's part of the problem with the way the Dáil works, it's all about local politics instead of doing what's best nationally, there was some guy up in Cavan who was running but his only objective was to fix potholes in that area, he had no plans for what should be done nationally. Those kinda decisions should be left for the our councillors.

Just heard tony heffernan from killarney (the father of saoirse age5 (rip) and liam age2 the battens sufferers( v rare kills small children) on newstalk just now. So so incredibly moving and yet such a positive man in the face of such horror. With all these theiving w@nkers who do nothing for us nationally then take a disgusting pension and lumpsum from our pockets they should hang their heads in shame if they heard this incredible dad this morning. Saoirse only died 5wks ago and already they're getting Little liam ready to go to america for treatment next wk which if it were successful eventually he'll be the first ever battens survivor. U can check out the whole story at this site: beeforbattens.org

Degag wrote: »
    He did sweet fúck all in 4 years.... i'm delighted.

What does SFA mean !!! No medical cards :eek:

Just an acknowledgement on thread of the very nice PM i received from regattaqueen this morning. I'd like to publicly state You're a classy lady and you're good craic. I think we understand each other and i'm glad you took all my banter in the manner it was meant. Some people in boards have a good sense of humour in these tough times. I have found, from my own personal experiences, life is tough enough without taking every single moment as seriously and with the hostility that some folks seem to. Look forward to much future banter with you. Yours, "very- intellectual- worldly-wise-gent-with- tongue-always- firmly- in-cheek" -ingly, bergkamp10.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Is there a photocopier in Killarney town? Its Urgent!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

kaji wrote: »
    Is there a photocopier in Killarney town? Its Urgent!!!

They used to have one down in o'connors newsagents.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Thanks, I went in and they still had one. Ur a lifesaver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i am looking for one of those all night burner grates for an open fire, i am hoping not to buy of internet, i dont know where in munster to get one, maybe some one on here can point me to a place that may have them in killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Have you tried MD O Shea's plumbing and heating dept. in Killarney.I have a star fire front and fret that allows for night burning....the grate is 18in firebird as queenstar grate had to be ordered ....Also if you ring Firebird Ballyvourney they might help you ..also look up heating merchants and suppliers in the yellow pages...Good luck...

Photo copier also in Egars high street.,..and RI Ra internet cafe, and also a stationary shop up the market cross laneway opposite Vanilla Pod.,..

News of a shop OPENING in killarney. Makes a nice change. Well, moving into a new better location. Still, its a bit of good news, SUBWAY is moving out of chapel lane into new premises in new st, downstairs from my salon, opening next week. So thats something good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I know I'm harping on about this but I was in London last weekend and went to Westfield Shopping Centre which is fairly huge - could have spent the whole weekend there tbh!

Anyway check the link down below - it shows the interactive screens I mentioned would help business in Killarney.

http://www.10squared.co.uk/westfield.htm

The idea is you would have 2/3 of these around the town - it shows you where you are, shows what's near you and you can search by category like restaurants, barbers, clothing outlets etc.

I severely doubt we'll see them implemented in the near future but I genuinely think it'd be worth thinking about as it'd help businesses around the town and also make it easier for tourists to navigate around the town

Have to agree PaudieC, those interactive screens would be a benefit to the town in General..i think the only area that could install them would be the Outlet Centre, or Railway station, Tourist Office..as i would be concened about vandelism of such machines...

Driving to killarney this morning, doing just under 100kph and being careful to keep under as there was a garda car behind me, when the car overtook me at way over 100 on the unbroken white line, on a fairly tight stretch, even though there was a broken line coming up a mere half mile down road where road again would be very wide. I watched the garda car pull into farranfore airport a mile after overtaking and park up. I was noting this in case maybe they were on a call? They didn't get out of car at all so one assumes they weren't on a call of any urgency, and if they were why no lights no sirens? I just wonder because I got two points years ago for overtaking JUST SHORT of the broken line, and i took my two points quietly and waited two years for them to pass. This morning, I just wonder if it had been the other way round, and one of us mere mortals had overtaken a garda car way above the speed limit on an unbroken line on dangerous stretch of road, and then we pulled in up the road and just parked up, i merely ask would we have also faced no sanctions from the oncoming garda car? In my own small humble opinion, gardai themselves should be seen to be UPHOLDING the very laws they are policing. And with people dying on our roads nearly every single day??? But thats just me. Does anyone know where exactly the garda station is in killarney, think ill have a word with the super. Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

The Garda Station is on New Road opposite Dep. of Arts and Tourism.
    Afaik Gardai are exempt from Road Traffic laws while on duty so can speed, talk on mobiles while driving etc.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    The Garda Station is on New Road opposite Dep. of Arts and Tourism.
    Afaik Gardai are exempt from Road Traffic laws while on duty so can speed, talk on mobiles while driving etc.

cheers for the info DeepBlue, much obliged. Wont waste my time callin in so. Still, Shame to see young coppers taking liberties with the exemptions that i'm sure are supposed to be for our good overall, what wit people dying on our roads and all that and when theres a good stretch of road half a mile up the road and they're pulling in up there anyway! Its taking the p1ss.

• Advertisement

bergkamp10 wrote: »
    News of a shop OPENING in killarney. Makes a nice change. Well, moving into a new better location. Still, its a bit of good news, SUBWAY is moving out of chapel lane into new premises in new st, downstairs from my salon, opening next week. So thats something good.

IMO a shop MOVING is not a NEW SHOP OPENING. Still it will make the street feel better. New Street is becoming one big restaurant:(

It does not seem that there will be many NEW SHOPS for some time

Advertisement