Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Havent been out in Killarney for a long time but the last time I was out these were the main places. What happened?????? Why do people turn against places??????????:rolleyes:

They were the main places because you were younger, they still are the main places for younger people around 16-20

And people don't turn against places they just get sick of them - to much of anything and you're bound to grow tired of it

bergkamp10 wrote: »
    A female friend of mine wants to know where would ye recommend for a gang of about ten women age 30ish, firstly where is good to stay, (ie b+bs, guesthouses).

You're nearly just aswell off staying in a hotel thesedays as they're almost the same price as guesthouses, will give you breakfast and there's always the possibility of a residents bar to answer your third question...

As for Q2:
    Secondly, Where is good for a good meal? Ta y'all.

Lord Kenmares, Chapter Forty, Paddys Restaurant would be the best places in town for a meal imo

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

I think you should ring Scotts hotel regarding a place to stay as they have apartments especially for groups at weekends...and also by staying in a hotel a late drink should be no problem.....Mc sorleys has it's good and not so good points...but have to admit they do cater for smokers and a great area...pity the rest of the bars and hotels in killarney did not follow example.....

I see in the Tralee thread that Razzle Dazzle has reopened and now called That's Perfect...maybe Roxy Records might do the same...or am i just wishful thinking....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Havent been out in Killarney for a long time but the last time I was out these were the main places???????? What happened?????? Why do people turn against places??????????:rolleyes:

Because I'm older and can't be arsed paying 10 quid into a nightclub that plays boy racer music and is full of like 18 year olds.
    I see in the Tralee thread that Razzle Dazzle has reopened and now called That's Perfect...maybe Roxy Records might do the same...or am i just wishful thinking....
    Not heard anything myself, I'd say that they would only reopen under new owners. Be great if they did though, I want my old job back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bergkamp10

Lots of good stuff there +good advice ill pass on to the girls. i knew of a few but i'm still learnin the ropes meself re drinkin an eatin in killarney and i wouldn't no where to stay as i live here!! Top blokes and top lady as always. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 brai n

i have been last week in mixor.it was very very tastey specialey the fresh bread.not like others nan or pitta bread.i would go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i may have got this wrong, but today i heard there were either bush or forest fires in or near killarney, is this true

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

goat2 wrote: »
    i may have got this wrong, but today i heard there were either bush or forest fires in or near killarney, is this true

"A huge gorse fire in Killarney National Park in Co Kerry has been brought under control.
    Firefighters spent most of the night dealing with the blaze on Shehy Mountain on the Magillacudddy Reeks.
    The fire, which started at around 4pm yesterday afternoon, was brought under control in the early hours of this morning without reaching the Oakwood Forest on Tomies Mountain.
    The blaze spanned an estimated area of 10km of mainly gorse and scrub land.
    Firefighters from Killarney had to call in back-up from Killorglin and Kenmare, as well as from Macroom in Co Cork.
    There were no homes in the path of the fire.
    Kerry County Council has appealed to all landowners not to set fires in upland areas following a particularly dry start to 2011.
    Spokesman Padraig Corkery warned that gorse fires are putting properties, homes and lives at risk, as once started they spread quickly and are extremely difficult to put out."

from rte.ie

Yes goat2 it is true that there was a fire in killarney mount.
    and that is every year .

• Advertisement

Yes it good to try kebab in mixor fresh bread
    you can try there it is on big tesco round about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 greenfurby

I see the 2 Euro store the Roxy brothers own has re-opened in Killarney this morning. Must head down to the square to so if the same applies for the Tralee branch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Just out of curiosity, How many people on here know that the Pitch and putt Irish open is on in deerpark this weekend????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

great to hear there is a new store opening, gives a positive outlook,also, bria-n, i do know there are fires on hills every year, farmers burning bush, but this is a different fire, we are speaking of, it has spread out over land that it was not supposed to burn, hopefully it did not destroy valuable plantation.

Yes great to see the euro shop reopened..hope sibler got his job back...Now will Roxy records open....Or is it new owners that operate the euro store now..I hear the coffee shop in the Demesne will be opening next Monday...what a great success that has been...Well done to the Down Symdrome Acc and the people involved,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    Yes great to see the euro shop reopened..hope sibler got his job back...Now will Roxy records open....Or is it new owners that operate the euro store now..I hear the coffee shop in the Demesne will be opening next Monday...what a great success that has been...Well done to the Down Symdrome Acc and the people involved,,,,

Cheers for the sentiment :p but I wasn't even informed they had re-opened. I've heard some crowd from Cork own the euroworld stores now but i've also heard it's pat and brendan kelly (the orignal owners) who have re-opened it. Doubt the Roxy's will re-open though.

I doubt Roxy Records will reopen tbh - the Music store business is in decline due to Downloading, istore, amazon etc

What did have Roxy going was it used to be the place to go for PS2 games but Gamestop opening next door damaged that side of business quite a bit I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Just out of curiosity, How many people on here know that the Pitch and putt Irish open is on in deerpark this weekend????

not me

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Hi Kitty

You beat me to the punch

Deenach Lodge will reopen for the Summer season on Monday 18th and this year we will have over 40 adults with Down Syndrome employed there.

This is our 4th year and it has been a great success for all involved. The dignity and sense of self worth it gives our adults cannot be at all underestimated.

Thanks for all your support in the past and we look forward to seeing you all again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

newman10 wrote: »
    [/B]

...Deenach Lodge will reopen for the Summer season on Monday 18th and this year we will have over 40 adults with Down Syndrome employed there.

This is our 4th year and it has been a great success for all involved. The dignity and sense of self worth it gives our adults cannot be at all underestimated.

Thanks for all your support in the past and we look forward to seeing you all again

Great to hear newman10. I'll be calling in again on my usual jogs/walks through the Desmesne. I must re-iterate that EVERY time I called in over the last number of years, regardless of how busy it was in there, I always received a smile and whoever served me always had a few words to say in passing :).

Sincere Best Wishes to everyone in Deenach Lodge in 2011, delighted you were able to retain that lease. Keep up the good work.

• Advertisement

Hi all

I hope you dont mind if I post a link to our website.

It may give an understanding what we do

http://www.downsyndromekerry.ie/

Newman

I have to agree with Kerry4sam,,,,Customer service and the quality of food and service would put alot of restaurants in town to shame....i have already texted my friends that the lodge is opening so no more coffees in town....It really is a pity that a six month lease is only option and that it will not stay open for weekends even till December..would it be viable....I want to wish all the staff a very happy season, and that the people of Killarney will support the lodge....Go once and you will return again and again.....

I was just reading the Tralee Thread and it said that Game Stop will be closing on May 3rd...will this mean Killarney also....while walking through the outlet centre today i saw that Pondon Mills is totally empty of stock and 3 members of staff there not knowing what is happenning to their Jobs....Is this town dying before our eyes....

newman10 wrote: »
    Hi all

I hope you dont mind if I post a link to our website.

It may give an understanding what we do

http://www.downsyndromekerry.ie/

Newman

do u hav an fb page for this?

I was just reading the Tralee Thread and it said that Game Stop will be closing on May 3rd...will this mean Killarney also....while walking through the outlet centre today i saw that Pondon Mills is totally empty of stock and 3 members of staff there not knowing what is happenning to their Jobs....Is this town dying before our eyes....

well i dunno if this means anythin, my barbershop is opposite game shop and it always looks full, and i do see a lot of guys comin out wit games as opposed to just browsing. Lets hope the glut of closures in killarney is coming to an end!

bergkamp10 wrote: »
    do u hav an fb page for this?

Hi Bergkamp

Hope this works and we hope to update more often

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Down-Syndrome-Kerry/128735113824675?sk=wall

Newman

Hi

We reopened today and had a great day:D Thanks to everyone who dropped in and thanks to TG4 who visited as well

Was on @ 7pm tonight Will try to post a link soon

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm sure I saw a Ponden Mills section in a Holland and Barrett recently. Perhaps the Outlet Centre shop is no longer required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kerrykid

Does anyone have a working number for Killarney cinema where you can actually speak to a human not a machine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

kerrykid wrote: »
    Does anyone have a working number for Killarney cinema where you can actually speak to a human not a machine?

IIRC from when I used to work there 10 years or so ago, it was 37007, so with the new digits, it would be 6637007

Advertisement