Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kerrykid

Thanks, though just tried that and it isnt connected

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Masala wrote: »
    I see a new Restaurant on Quilles Lane - I think it calle itself 'Cafe'. A novel restaurant that allows you to:
    1. Bring your own wine &
    2. Pay for your food according to what you think it was worth!
    So.. no prices shown!
    What do people think of that ?

I got a fine salad there a few weeks ago and a large cafetiere of coffee.

I gave €7 but was left with an uncomfortable feeling that I was either grossly overpaying or underpaying.

The staff were pleasant but it was difficult to get their attention as they seemed to be distracted with customers at another table.

RevBJ

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

This used to be a pretty tidy Volvo Amazon at the top of Molls Gap untill some scumbags burned it out lately.:mad::mad::mad::(
    killarneyapril2011009.jpg
    pic courtesy of MantaMad of this parish.

I hope they are proud of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

This used to be a pretty tidy Volvo Amazon at the top of Molls Gap untill some scumbags burned it out lately.:mad::mad::mad::(
    killarneyapril2011009.jpg
    pic courtesy of MantaMad of this parish.

I hope they are proud of themselves.

AH that's just pure criminal altogether. If proof was needed that their really are some sad individuals out there! The proof is in this picture. That was only parked up, not in anyone's way, just advertising the pancake shop (delicious pancakes too) on the Sneem road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

What's the Craic next weekend with road closures. Staying in Killarney and travelling down on Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

greenman09 wrote: »
    What's the Craic next weekend with road closures. Staying in Killarney and travelling down on Saturday

Which side are you coming from? Any road closures for the rally are unlikely to be on any of the major incoming routes. (With the possible exception of the Kenmare side, and even that is pure speculation on my part, never having had any interest in the thing.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I know it's good for local businesses but dear god I hate the rally :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Coming in from Dublin think I need to get to muckross rd to lake hotel

PaulieC wrote: »
    I know it's good for local businesses but dear god I hate the rally :(

I'd like to think it would be relatively quiet in comparison to other years. I don't mind the rally all the same. The businesses won't be benefiting as much as I remember last year countless of followers sleeping in their own cars, not having the money to even pay for accommodation.

greenman09 wrote: »
    Coming in from Dublin think I need to get to muckross rd to lake hotel

Traffic on the Muckross Road will be at a stand-still for the most part - GIVEN!

Have the Lake hotel said anything to you regarding advice on road-closures? In fairness, I would hope they would inform their guests if their was a possibility of being in-convenienced due to road closures.

• Advertisement

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I'd like to think it would be relatively quiet in comparison to other years. I don't mind the rally all the same.

Yeah....I live in Muckross though :(

Gona try take Friday off so I can come down Thursday and avoid the mayhem on the road from Cork...I'll have a match or training at some stage and it'll take me ages to get to that too guaranteed

PaulieC wrote: »
    Yeah....I live in Muckross though :(

Gona try take Friday off so I can come down Thursday and avoid the mayhem on the road from Cork...I'll have a match or training at some stage and it'll take me ages to get to that too guaranteed

Your location on boards 'meh-ville' : I think that could be quiet apt this week-end :)

Ah God love ya living out there especially from last week onward the traffic is building ever so slightly and will be from now until September/October

Yeah I would say regardless of what time you could travel this coming Friday you will be held up or held back somewhere from the county-bounds to home so you would be better off travelling on the Thursday PaulieC.

You'll never know, with people minding the finances and the Gardaí certain to be out in numbers checking licences/tax/insurance/NCT/drink-driving etc etc, their might just be fewer cars heading to Killarney this week-end. Here's hoping anyways! :p

Ah God love ya living out there especially from last week onward the traffic is building ever so slightly and will be from now until September/October

Yeah I love the weather we're having at the moment but it also means loads of people decide it'd be nice to head down to Muckross Park so traffic's mental - the thing is I don't get why people don't go down all year round - especially winter time the parks beautiful that time of year.

The pain is getting stuck behind a tourist doing 40km in the 100 zone, or being stuck behind a jarvey who isn't using the jarvey road as per usual
    You'll never know, with people minding the finances and the Gardaí certain to be out in numbers checking licences/tax/insurance/NCT/drink-driving etc etc, their might just be fewer cars heading to Killarney this week-end. Here's hoping anyways! :p

I live in hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Numbers last year were supposed to be down on previous years alright, so I'd expect to see probably the same or fewer showing up. Accommodation won't be the limiting factor, there were always plenty happy to drive out near the circuit and sleep in their cars. It hasn't been a big benefit to too many businesses the last couple of years, unless you happen to run an off license.

That said I'll be hiding out in Cork again this year :p

That said I'll be hiding out in Cork again this year :p

I'd be doing the same only I've football during the weekend :(

That said I started playing golf last weekend so hopefully I can get out this weekend again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I would like at this time to express my condolences and send messages of support to my friends and neighbours on the Muckross, Woodlawn and Cork roads who may find themselves trapped in their homes this rally weekend.

You are in our thoughts and prayers.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭teaholic

Is there anyone here doing the Darkness in Light Walk next Friday?

teaholic wrote: »

I saw this on facebook. I won't be due to my shift-work though. Really lovely idea - Darkness in Light, Pietta.

I would like at this time to express my condolences and send messages of support to my friends and neighbours on the Muckross, Woodlawn and Cork roads who may find themselves trapped in their homes this rally weekend.

You are in our thoughts and prayers.

:p

Ah now, this looks to be tongue in cheek but for tourists that do be reading this before arriving, this doesn't help!

It really wasn't that bad yesterday and today is okay so far. Both tourists and locals alike are able to get out and about and not have their travel plans disrupted too much. Actually, the rally this year is fair quiet in comparison to other years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

AH that's just pure criminal altogether. If proof was needed that their really are some sad individuals out there! The proof is in this picture. That was only parked up, not in anyone's way, just advertising the pancake shop (delicious pancakes too) on the Sneem road.

Yeh it's a Volvo parked at Moll's Gap - right beside the Avoca handweavers shop. Shame to see it - scumbags

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭FRANKENFURTER

teaholic wrote: »
    am doing this walk and from what i hear it will be fairly well attended///also great walk coming up for childrens hospital...boat to mt brandons cottage and walk back through the gap

I am coming home to do it. I live up the country and know the family involved so from the talk I have heard there is huge support around the town for it.

Thank God the Rally of the Lakes is over for another year! I'm not saying anymore on this event of 2011, it's over and I hope lessons will be learnt by all involved!

Looking forward now to the Ireland Bike Fest. Always, always a great long week-end for the June Bank Holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Thank God the Rally of the Lakes is over for another year! I'm not saying anymore on this event of 2011, it's over and I hope lessons will be learnt by all involved!

Looking forward now to the Ireland Bike Fest. Always, always a great long week-end for the June Bank Holiday.

The rally-moaning seems to be a bit light this year, does that mean that no-one showed up, or did they all behave themselves if they did?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The rally-moaning seems to be a bit light this year, does that mean that no-one showed up, or did they all behave themselves if they did?

I think Killarney people are literally just tired of it at this stage and figure there's no point moaning about it...It is what it is and unfortunately one of the best rallys in the country gets overshadowed as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭loueuro2

was in town this mourning around 1130 to go for coffee and i really cant believe the amount of places closed on a sunday. surely by now, meaning the start of summer/tourist season this should be a bit better!!or maybe i was there too early, closed where- spogles(cant spell that)down mackeys lane, jam, country kitchen!!

loueuro2 wrote: »
    was in town this mourning around 1130 to go for coffee and i really cant believe the amount of places closed on a sunday. surely by now, meaning the start of summer/tourist season this should be a bit better!!or maybe i was there too early, closed where- spogles(cant spell that)down mackeys lane, jam, country kitchen!!

Yeah I know. It really isn't easy for locals or tourists being in Killarney, especially if around with a young family looking for something to do, or place to go to spend some time.
    Hopefully will change soon though. The weather ain't helping right now either I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

I know that the old cretit union offices (next to the chateaux) have been closed for a long time now but why did they close them and move only a hundred metres down the street?:confused:

From what I can remember and I am open to correction, is that the rent was increased and they refused to pay it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Degag wrote: »
    I know that the old cretit union offices (next to the chateaux) have been closed for a long time now but why did they close them and move only a hundred metres down the street?:confused:

The premises was sold to a local landlord to help fund the new premises and was partly used by the Dept of Ag who have since relocated.

Advertisement