Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Scotts definatley showing it, the speakeasy aswell. Ive also heard foleys Might have it, wasnt 100% though...

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Are there match tickets on sale this morning in Killarney

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Haven't seen a crowd that large in town for a long, long time great to see

Only problem with it is the usual traffic chaos due to the terrible layout of Killarneys road system

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭thumper10

Heading to killarney town for a get away at the end of july, places to visit/eat would be greatly appreciated, use to visit there when i was a child so very excited about going back, its beena while, visiting the usual tourist places...

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

ciaeim wrote: »
    rossbeigh and inch both 20 to 25 miles away

Thanks for the reply was in rossbeigh yesterday kids had a ball great beach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

PaulieC wrote: »
    Haven't seen a crowd that large in town for a long, long time great to see

Only problem with it is the usual traffic chaos due to the terrible layout of Killarneys road system

Oh jeez man their was some buzz in Killarney last Sunday alrite with everything that was happening in the town & thankfully the weather was just lovely.
    The traffic and road-layout of Killarney town is not something that will be changed any time soon. Their were some complaints over traffic congestion but that is definitely something that could not have been improved on or have anything further done to assist there. Everything that could've been done was done.

From everyone I was speaking with since then, their has been nothing but praise and congrats all round for every aspect of the organising and planning and co-ordination. With well over 50,000 people in Killarney that day and everything to run so smoothly is just fantastic. So well done from me anyways to all involved! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:eek: Just saw on the news that a life carrying 5 people drooped 3 floors in the plazza hotel.

:eek: Just saw on the news that a life carrying 5 people drooped 3 floors in the plazza hotel.

yeah linky here.

"The five were taken to Kerry General Hospital, however their injuries are not thought to be life threatening.

The Health and Safety Authority has said it will be investigating the incident."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Staying there next weekend presume everything will still be okay. Any suggestions for 6 people for a night out. Heading down for the maxi marathon. Looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coolclogher

Met Italians in town on the Sunday of the Munster Final. They could not get over the fact of 40,000 supporters mixing like that. In Italy the streets would be lined with Riot Police and water canons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

I think same applies to alot of football teams in England...Newcastle v Sunderland comes to mind....Man u v Man city etc.....Went to a game last yr in Newcastle and the hate and bittterness is something i hope i never will come across in the GAA.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Diego_Spain

Hi there!

We are a Spanish family and we will be spending our summer vacation in Kerry this year. We will be staying at a nice self-catering house in Killarney in August.

Could you please help us?.

Shopping:

We saw there are various supermarket chains: Dunnes stores and Supervalus among others... Could you please tell us what are the differences in terms of quality and price? Do they normally have the same products?

As most Spaniards, we love eating fish and seafood. Could you recommend us any good fish shops in the Killarney area or can we only buy fish in supermarkets?.

Which are the best farmer markets in the area? When are they open? We don't mind going to Kenmare, Tralee...

(We use this thread because we understand these questions are not really about "tourism"...)

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

We can't wait to be there!!! :-)

Diego, María and Miguel

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭teaholic

Re Shopping

The only main difference between them is the packaging! They are pretty much all around the same prices with a few cent in the difference here and there. They all carry the same type of products and they all do "own brand" food which is generally cheaper than the well known brands.

RE Fish
    There are fishmongers around the place but I havent lived in Killarney in a few years and cannot for the life of me remember where they are!! Sorry, most of the supermarkets have a fresh fish counter anyway and some of the butchers do aswell, its just as easy to pick up seafood in the supermarket either fresh or frozen.

Re Farmers markets

Someone else may have to answer on the farmers markets, I'm not sure where they would be on, think they are usually only on the weekends. From what I can remember there are sometimes things on in the Outlet Centre but I am open to correction.
    Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Hope you will enjoy your trip and make sure to get in some sightseeing and bring a good camera with lots of memory space!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

As most Spaniards, we love eating fish and seafood. Could you recommend us any good fish shops in the Killarney area or can we only buy fish in supermarkets?
    There is a fishmonger called Star Seafood at the New Street end of High Street (roughly here). It's a blue and white shop now (Google Street View is out of date) and is unusual in that you go down the laneway at the side to get to the entrance and ask for what you want. It does close early in the day as far as I know (I think around 2pm). The fish is fresh and reasonably priced.
    I would prefer to get fish in a fishmonger rather than in a supermarket as I think it would be fresher and better.

There is another fishmonger here that's open the usual business hours i.e. closes at 6pm. He's in a small shopping mall.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭horse7

has anyone managed to use the wifi in the gleneagle hotel.

has anyone been to the gleneagle hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I've used in a year ago I think. It was free access at the time. I don't know if it still is.

it still is,but it doesnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ClickityClick

Diego, The best place for grocery shopping in Killarney is either Lidl or Aldi, they are far cheaper than the supermarkets. there are 3 fishmongers in town, better get fresh fish there than in supermarkets. Just follow your nose!! especially the Star one in High St. I think that there's a farmers' market in Milltown, which is only about 6 miles away, on a Sat. morning. Hope you have a great time here. It's a wonderful town, with wonderful people

If you are coming down for the Irish Open:

Can I just ask if you felt the prices you were quoted for accommodation were excessive / too much / exaggerated at all? I remember being told last-year that people felt the prices were too high & wondering if that will be or actually is the case again this year.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 sid77ie

@Kerrysam,my wife and I are going for The Celtic rock gig in the INEC and going to catch some of the golf.
    Got the package from the Gleneagle, 2 nights b/b including w/end tickets for e485. Day ticket for golf is e25 each.
    Haven't been in Killarney for many years, any pointers will be appreciated!

sid77ie wrote: »
    @Kerrysam,my wife and I are going for The Celtic rock gig in the INEC and going to catch some of the golf.
    Got the package from the Gleneagle, 2 nights b/b including w/end tickets for e485. Day ticket for golf is e25 each.
    Haven't been in Killarney for many years, any pointers will be appreciated!

Jeez that sounds like a great package deal to me. You seem to have done well with accommodation and breakfast / tickets for a gig and for the golf.

Good to hear this. Hope you enjoy your time back in Killarney again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

And here I am trying to avoid town all together during the Open! :D

And here I am trying to avoid town all together during the Open! :D

Ah but sur why would you want to do something like that? :) Think of the crowds, think of the traffic, think of the sunshine?!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Ah but sur why would you want to do something like that? :) Think of the crowds, think of the traffic, think of the sunshine?!

I really MUST be crazy. To think, I could be swarmed by tourists for free! I need to get my head checked :D

Sunshine:rolleyes:

newman10 wrote: »
    [/B]

Sunshine:rolleyes:

yeah. What about it? It could happen yet! Unless you know something bout the weather for Friday, Saturday and Sunday that I don't know yet. If you do, feel free to let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 replica

Anyone aware of any part time jobs in Killarney. Will consider anything....

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭loueuro2

saw on the window the last day of that new restaurant up quills,the one u pay what u think. looking for staff there

• Advertisement

yeah. What about it? It could happen yet! Unless you know something bout the weather for Friday, Saturday and Sunday that I don't know yet. If you do, feel free to let me know.

Still waiting;)

Advertisement