Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

hi,
    The unit next door to the tatler (used to be electrical shop) is pat sheehans and his daughter is taking it over as a new tapas restaurant and bar so licence needed for that! a nice tapas place could do killarney good! yummy tapas and nice wine super in my book! ++ anything that creates jobs is always a +:D

So you just signed up to tell everyone this? Would you have some vested interest in this project I wonder? :rolleyes: eh :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sundaysnoozer

haha thanks Kerry4sam for that observation i was actually browsing around and spotted the forum and decided id like to join boards ! i posted in another forum too :D
    nah no vested interest in it i work in community development totally different field!! so restaurant trade is of no great interest to me just knew it through acquantances!

haha thanks Kerry4sam for that observation i was actually browsing around and spotted the forum and decided id like to join boards ! i posted in another forum too :D
    nah no vested interest in it i work in community development totally different field!! so restaurant trade is of no great interest to me just knew it through acquantances!

No need to defend yourself to me. You obviously felt the need to and only you can answer why you felt you had to do that.

I was just curious, have a suspicious mind so I do and I like to ask questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

haha, I have seen some people get wreckless abuse on forums when they promote/defend a product etc in their first post!!

it's starting to get cold out there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Welcome to the board sundaysnoozer and travelledpengy! Glad this little query settled down quickly. When you get a minute, have a quick read over the forum charter just so you know what to expect here, and then enjoy posting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sundaysnoozer

ya i thought this was a friendly chatting spot ! turns out people are very suspicious regardless of what u write!! wasnt promoting any business at all! i was only looking forward to tapas lol silly me!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

ya i thought this was a friendly chatting spot ! turns out people are very suspicious regardless of what u write!! wasnt promoting any business at all! i was only looking forward to tapas lol silly me!:p
    Most people on boards assume that if you only have a few posts then you're either trolling or promoting some sort of business, it's common and I wouldn't worry bout it

A tapas bar would do well in Killarney - I don't eat seafood but we could do with more places like this - the Cooperage used to be the only place in town before where you could get decent quality, somewhat adventurous food - sorely missed imo

PaulieC wrote: »
    Most people on boards assume that if you only have a few posts then you're either trolling or promoting some sort of business, it's common and I wouldn't worry bout it

A tapas bar would do well in Killarney - I don't eat seafood but we could do with more places like this - the Cooperage used to be the only place in town before where you could get decent quality, somewhat adventurous food - sorely missed imo

Yeah I'd agree with what PaulieC said above. Sur, if you're familiar with Killarney you'd know that everyone there is friendly and chatty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Would be nice to have a tapas option in Killarney. Though the one in Killorglin would be hard to beat - has a great setting too.

Looking forward to the one in Killarney opening - any ideas of when. I suppose it will be opened in time for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

hi guys, just seen this thread and thought you guys might be able to help me, im going to Killarney for a wedding on the bank holiday week and staying till the Monday, any suggestions on where to eat/what to do on the Sunday, were not bringing a car so things would need to be in walking distance of the town
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

hi guys, just seen this thread and thought you guys might be able to help me, im going to Killarney for a wedding on the bank holiday week and staying till the Monday, any suggestions on where to eat/what to do on the Sunday, were not bringing a car so things would need to be in walking distance of the town
    thanks

There is plenty of great places to eat, depending on what kind of food you want, what kind of budget you have. My favorite place in town (by a long shot) is Treyvaud's, it can be a bit pricy but you get what you pay for!

There is a place down one of the laneways in town that offers a 'pay what ever you want' kind of scheme. I have never eaten there myself, but everyone that I have talked to has said it's nice down there.

In addition to this, a lot of the places in town will do pub grub on a Sunday.

As for things to do, it depends on what you are into. The national park is only a couple of minutes walk from the center of town, and it's a great place to go for a walk, providing that the weather is reasonable enough. The towers hotel offers a leisure center in the town center if you fancy a swim, and I think the pay as you go rate is seven or eight quid. If you fancy something more substantial, the coral leisure center is about 20 minutes walk from town and offers a bigger pool / gym / etc.

If you fancy a bit of a session, town is normally pretty busy on a bank holiday Sunday, and most places will probably be doing their celebrations that night.

In other news, I can't believe it's been nearly 3 years since I started this thread! I demand a Killarney beers to celebrate =P

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

oeb wrote: »

In other news, I can't believe it's been nearly 3 years since I started this thread! I demand a Killarney beers to celebrate =P

Always interested in "beers":p
    count me in;)

This is boards.ie so I'm assuming the beers will be on in Dublin yeah?? :pac:

I'd be game but mightn't be home much over the next month - swamped up here in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Maybe Sundaysnoozer will gave us first taste in her Tapas Bar ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

More heating oil cost info...CRL OIL Killarney 85 cent a litre........Killarney Oil was quoted at 82 cent a litre....and was told prices will be getting higher.... Hope this info will help...

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Hi All

Deenach Lodge closes this Monday until next Spring and I would like to thank anyone who called to us.

This year we provided Employment/Training to 42 people with Down syndrome and next year we hope to have 46 people.

Without your custom it is not possible

To those who have visited us I hope you enjoyed your visit and to those who haven't please drop in next year

If anyone has comments to make please feel free to send me a message

regards

Newman

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

newman10 wrote: »
    Hi All

Deenach Lodge closes this Monday until next Spring and I would like to thank anyone who called to us.

This year we provided Employment/Training to 42 people with Down syndrome and next year we hope to have 46 people.

To those who have visited us I hope you enjoyed your visit and to those who haven't please drop in next year

regards

Newman
    Fair play to ye Newman,
    my visits to the demense with my son wont be same,as he never let me pass without going in for a "yellow snack".
    always enjoyed popping in and was always greeted by wonderful staff members
    keep up the good work;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

So we're going this Sunday - have been a few times during the summer. :)

Hi All

regards

Newman

Customer Service is just absolutely perfect, well done to everyone there :)

Fantastic job by everyone. I was always greeted with a welcome the year just gone; exactly like the year that went before.

Congrats Everyone for running Deenach Lodge so successfully, Looking forward to another successful year next year.

kerry4sam :)

Fantastic job done by all in Killarney who have been confiscating the fireworks in the last number of weeks and months.

I think this could possibly be the quietest Halloween weekend that I remember.

Well done to all ES personnel involved :)

• Advertisement

I used love when our teacher in the sem bought us over on sunny days for ice cream, the staff were so friendly :) fair play!

Im in the USA for halloween, it is huge over here, even adults are out trick or treating!!

Has the dealz store opened in killarney??

I used love when our teacher in the sem bought us over on sunny days for ice cream, the staff were so friendly :) fair play!

Im in the USA for halloween, it is huge over here, even adults are out trick or treating!!

Has the dealz store opened in killarney??

I remember that too from my days in the pres ...down the demesne for our 'P.E.' classes :)

I'm sure their were adults out here too, just not me as I'm up in a few hours! I should be asleep by now but their are a few boy-racers getting their kicks in outside and I'm sure the ES are busy elsewhere tonight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I see that Pages bookshop is closing down, shame really but trying to compete with the killarney bookshop must have been an awful struggle. Also noticed that the Lough Inn is closed, no real surprise there though.

siblers wrote: »
    I see that Pages bookshop is closing down, shame really but trying to compete with the killarney bookshop must have been an awful struggle. Also noticed that the Lough Inn is closed, no real surprise there though.

Pages would be competing more with amazon I would say. That's where I buy most of my books now at fraction the cost.

The Lough Inn or even the Granary was never a spot you'd find me in, I can't really put my finger on why though. The atmosphere was just never inviting or warm ... Are they open week-ends or closed full-stop do you know?

I'd say a few more places will be closed by Christmas though :(

hi,
    The unit next door to the tatler (used to be electrical shop) is pat sheehans and his daughter is taking it over as a new tapas restaurant and bar so licence needed for that! a nice tapas place could do killarney good! yummy tapas and nice wine super in my book! ++ anything that creates jobs is always a +:D
    Inexile wrote: »
    Would be nice to have a tapas option in Killarney. Though the one in Killorglin would be hard to beat - has a great setting too.

Looking forward to the one in Killarney opening - any ideas of when. I suppose it will be opened in time for Christmas.

I would say their would be a push on for the Christmas market alright. I saw some nice new tiles go in there recently. Looking forward to this place now. Delighted Pat Sheehan is opening here, good healthy competition for Tatlers maybe. I wonder about the lock-in's in Tatler now and whether they would be as frequent ;)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Pages would be competing more with amazon I would say. That's where I buy most of my books now at fraction the cost.

The Lough Inn or even the Granary was never a spot you'd find me in, I can't really put my finger on why though. The atmosphere was just never inviting or warm ... Are they open week-ends or closed full-stop do you know?

I'd say a few more places will be closed by Christmas though :(

Yeah that's true about Amazon but KBS always had much more variety of stock than Pages. The Lough Inn seemed to be only really aimed at tourists, the place had no personality to it and was pretty pricey too (€4.90 for a bulmers pear). The Granary used to be good for people into rock/alternative music but people just stopped going there for whatever reason and it just died out. I guess Courtneys took over from it.

siblers wrote: »
    Yeah that's true about Amazon but KBS always had much more variety of stock than Pages. The Lough Inn seemed to be only really aimed at tourists, the place had no personality to it and was pretty pricey too (€4.90 for a bulmers pear). The Granary used to be good for people into rock/alternative music but people just stopped going there for whatever reason and it just died out. I guess Courtneys took over from it.

I asked both bookshops for a quotation on a criminology book awhile back and was quoted 81.75euros ... I then asked around and went online and found the same book, good as new, with a few handy side-notes inside, for only 21.50euros. I do enjoy book-shops though for novels, just nothing else & I don't order from them anymore either tbh. Definitely KBS for variety on novels and travel-books though.

Bad one about the Lough Inn lads - met the owner before and he's a very nice guy.

Myself and a few mates used to have a pint or two there at the start of a night out - now they weren't always the best pints but still I'll miss it.

That said - the setup of it was for tourists and I didn't like that, also, it's in an area of town where you need a chipper close by - closer than Den Joes even

If you could get a late bar license and do it up well enough you could have a very trendy 21's bar there I'd say - something to challenge the Kube for example

One of my friends was having his 21st there with his sisters 18th and they called them like 4 days before saying it won't be open! bummer!

• Advertisement

Does anyone know where in Killarney I could get poster frames? Or even framed posters/photos etc at reasonble prices?

Advertisement