Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

shergar22 wrote: »
    Killarney Library does have Wi-Fi. You've to ask at the front desk for a password, which gives you access for 1 hour.
    That must be a fairly recent development. They used not have it unlike other libraries such as Tralee or Killorglin where you were given a ticket at the front desk valid for 50 minutes approx. Also the outlet centre has wi-fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Costa Coffee in Deerpark has WiFi

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Traffic-Corp out in action in Ballyvourney tonight. They must've had a cute Kerrymen after crossing the border behind the wheel with their real nice positioning :)

From what I am hearing in Killarney though, the local traffic corp will be kept busy tonight. Plenty of work in the coming hours if wanted!

Was in the pay as you please restaurant Saturday.

It was absolutely lovely. But quiet, which given the food on offer surprised me.

Great idea. Can see why it clocks in second on Tripadvisors list of restaurants in Killarney. Assumed it would be like one of those all you can eat places, far better fare though.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

yes they have great fresh food, the pizzas are delicious and the salads are fresh! the guys are nice fellas too! the menu can be limited at times but i have never found anything i wouldn't eat!

there is a cool little scene after developing in that area i think it is quite funky.

• Advertisement

I have to say I had heard of it, but kept on assuming it was an all you can eat place, which is a very different idea and in my experience means poor food that's been left lying around for ages. Not sure if anyone else assumes this. I was very pleasantly surprised. And they clearly think about their business, I saw stuff about a film club, a library, games swap etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

This thread is 3 years old on Saturday. We should all go on the lash :p

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

oeb wrote: »
    This thread is 3 years old on Saturday. We should all go on the lash :p

You paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Right now the only thing on the lash is the weather, happy 3rd Birthday...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

anything going on in killarney saturday evening sunday, going for a drive that direction and hope to do a little bit of Christmas shopping if i can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

oeb wrote: »
    I'm sick of these Tralee folks with all their posturing, and thinking they are popular because they have a big thread.

Come on now folks, give Killarney some love! Killarney folks, identify yourselves!

where oh where has the time gone! Killarney on boards is 3 years old today :eek: :D

I want to thank the op again for starting this thread & also everyone who posts and keeps it strong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I want to thank the op again for starting this thread & also everyone who posts and keeps it strong :)

It really does not seem like three years ago that I posted this.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 hellomynameis

Mr. Tezza wrote: »
    Well anywhere around ballyspillane anyway, woodlawn is probably the best place for u I'd say, you lookin to get a slace close to town or a bit out of town? Out of town ur talkin Minish direction.

Have you lived in Ballyspillane before?

Yes I lived there for 12 years, why?

Because I was wondering if you were judging the estate without living there like many people do, I also have lived here for 28 years and have never had a problem here. So based on my experience I would encourage the person looking for somewhere to live to try out Ballyspillane.

Because I was wondering if you were judging the estate without living there like many people do, I also have lived here for 28 years and have never had a problem here. So based on my experience I would encourage the person looking for somewhere to live to try out Ballyspillane.

Well I guess that is where our experiences differentiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Passed through Fossa last night a saw a house with Christmas lights on.

Nearly crashed into the new bollards in the middle of the road with shock

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

howdy neighbour:D
    grew up in ballyspillane,lived there for 20 years and cant stand it(as you say) when people who have never lived there judge it.
    yes,like any estate in any town,whether its a council estate or an "upmarket" estate there is a small minority who will give an area a bad name.
    I had a great childhood growing up there from the age of 8,thru my teenage years and into adulthood,the people there are the salt of the earth,im still friends with every one of the lads i grew up with,most of them still live there as does my mother.
    never in all my years there did i ever feel unsafe,of course i got into a few "scraps" over the years,but what young lad hasnt? no matter where you live,boys are going to have fights....
    personally i think its a great place to live and loved growing up there,
    of course everyone is entitled to their opinion and ballyspillane isnt for some:)

i did ask, if there was anything on over the weekend, well i did end up in killarney, stayed in gleneagle, went to see the high kings that were in the inec, had a beautiful dinner and enjoyed my stay in gleneagle, after the show we were able to go to residents lounge where there was music until the early hours, had the time of my life, great place to stay, our room was beautiful and warm, we were well taken care of, our dinner there was brilliant, i loved it there, and for certain, i will be back, have travelled the country it is hard to beat killarney, cannot be beaten

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

goat2 wrote: »
    i did ask, if there was anything on over the weekend, well i did end up in killarney, stayed in gleneagle, went to see the high kings that were in the inec, had a beautiful dinner and enjoyed my stay in gleneagle, after the show we were able to go to residents lounge where there was music until the early hours, had the time of my life, great place to stay, our room was beautiful and warm, we were well taken care of, our dinner there was brilliant, i loved it there, and for certain, i will be back, have travelled the country it is hard to beat killarney, cannot be beaten

Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit, i always said if i wasnt from Killarney its the one place i would always come back to.
    As for the INEC anyone else going to see Jimmy Carr this friday night?

• Advertisement

howdy neighbour:D
    grew up in ballyspillane,lived there for 20 years and cant stand it(as you say) when people who have never lived there judge it.
    yes,like any estate in any town,whether its a council estate or an "upmarket" estate there is a small minority who will give an area a bad name.
    I had a great childhood growing up there from the age of 8,thru my teenage years and into adulthood,the people there are the salt of the earth,im still friends with every one of the lads i grew up with,most of them still live there as does my mother.
    never in all my years there did i ever feel unsafe,of course i got into a few "scraps" over the years,but what young lad hasnt? no matter where you live,boys are going to have fights....
    personally i think its a great place to live and loved growing up there,
    of course everyone is entitled to their opinion and ballyspillane isnt for some:)

Completly agree with you, the friends I grew up are still the same friends I have today. There is a sense of community that I havent found anywhere else. I know I can call in to my neighbour anytime of day or night if I needed something and they will help out if they can and like wise they know the same with me, There are young kids who will chance their arm like anywhere but I feel if you treat them with respect then theyll give you respect back.

newman10 wrote: »

Lol I would do the same if I could get away with it, I love Christmas but its definetly too early. Must drive out that direction now.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

newman10 wrote: »

They must have forgotten to turn them off last year as its WAY too early to have them on....

when do ye put them on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I most likely wouldn't but my sisters make me. Very earliest would be the 23rd:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

goat2 wrote: »
    when do ye put them on

1st of December some years but would normally be the 6th or 7th.
    The buzz or magic of Christmas is lost if you are looking at the lights and decorations for 4 weeks before Christmas day..IMO.

It actually is rather annoying to have all the decorations in the shops and add's on Tv as soon as we hit November:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    1st of December some years but would normally be the 6th or 7th.
    The buzz or magic of Christmas is lost if you are looking at the lights and decorations for 4 weeks before Christmas day..IMO.

It actually is rather annoying to have all the decorations in the shops and add's on Tv as soon as we hit November:rolleyes:

Gotta feel sorry for the folk working in retail who have to listen to Christmas songs every day non stop. Especially tedious inside in Tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Gonna book accomodation in Killarney as a Xmas present for my recently retired ol man. Lookin for advise on where to book. Have stayed in the Gleneagles before and didnt find it great tbh. Also stayed in a nice little hotel in town that i cant remember the name of.

Could someone recommend a decent hotel to stay for a few nights? He loves Kerry and trad music.

i still think the gleneagle is a great place for the all in one evening out, i like going away for a night here and there at the right price, and when i go to the bother of packing for overnight, i think it has the most to offer, from leisure facility, food, entertainment, and most of all the room, i hate the cold this time of year, and of all the hotels i have stayed in the gleneagle beat the lot, the warmt in the room, felt very inviting and comforting.
    breakfast in the morning was beautiful, fry up beautiful and freshly cooked, toast on stand just take what you like, all in all the best i have experienced, and i have travelled alot and been many places, name one place for me in this country that offer entertainment, leisure facilities, food and best of all comfortable room, i went away about three months ago also to another hotel in a different county, it had said there would be entertainment on the night, which is what sold me on the place, we booked in, went for a drive, came back and had dinner, and when it came to the entertainment there was none as promised

• Advertisement

Warper wrote: »
    Have stayed in the Gleneagles before and didnt find it great tbh.

My experience with the Gleneagle is very positive too. Great staff. Legendary venue in South Kerry. It has seen a lot of great nights. But the building itself is a little frayed around the edges, like any large structure from back in the 70s or 80s. The Brehon next door is the same owner afaik and a far newer build.

I think the standard of hotels in Killarney is remarkable, tempted to say stick a pin in the book and you'll find that, with some very few exceptions amongst what must be about 50 hotels, they are all pretty excellent. All depends what you want, old or new, leisure centre or not, town centre or country, reasonable, budget or upper end, familr or not etc. etc.

Advertisement