Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

just returned home from Killarney and after walking almost 30km in 4 days i am wrecked but i have fallen in love with the town and countryside and i WANT to go back asap.....oh if i had the money i would buy a house there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

xxyyzz wrote: »
    You could join the Killarney cycling club. They do evening leisure spins that cater for all abilities www.killarneycyclingclub.com.

Thanks a mil for this, I've been looking for something to take up when I move back to Killarney for the summer after college, I used to cycle loads back in the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Thanks a mil for this, I've been looking for something to take up when I move back to Killarney for the summer after college, I used to cycle loads back in the day :D

The second lesiure spin is taking place today. Last week we had over 60 people. Great way to pass a few hours and meet new friendly people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

If mountainbiking is your thing, they have a great mtb section and where better than Killarney for mountains? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Ha it'll be a while before I'm mountain biking, I'll start off at the lowest level because I literally have not been on a bike in years, but I'm looking forward to starting again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

newman10 wrote: »
    Hi all

The Kerry Branch of Down Syndrome Ireland will reopen Deenach Lodge this Easter weekend.

We will have our regular staff as well as 45 Adults with Down Syndrome.

Again i would like to thank everyone who calls in, your support is greatly appreciated by the families and members in helping us create a workplace that shows that Adults with Down Syndrome also have a real and lasting place in Kerry life

Pat

Ah I've been up-the-walls busy and only see this now, sorry Pat! Great to hear you're back open. All the Best of Wishes for this season for everyone in Deenach Lodge :)

Our Newest Addition to Killarney :)

523992_3359359496179_1034780955_33130546_1397380178_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

50bc919eff677ba850d1d3553b6f.jpg

I heard that a pair of bronze hens are planned for the other side of the courthouse. ;)

The sculptor is Don Cronin who has strong Killarney connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Just wondering what people think of these sculptures of deers...I viewed them today and have mixed views to be honest...I don't now if the location is apt,,, and wondering how much they cost, and what happened to the fish that used to be displayed on Cleeney roundabout...

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    Just wondering what people think of these sculptures of deers...I viewed them today and have mixed views to be honest...I don't now if the location is apt,,, and wondering how much they cost, and what happened to the fish that used to be displayed on Cleeney roundabout...

I like them! They are certainly unique so won't be found elsewhere. Well done to the sculptor :) They are sure to take centre-place in some pictures from people on nights' out too I would say.

As for location - I am unsure as to why they are placed outside of the towns' Court-House considering the significance and importance of the Court-House :confused:

I am delighted those fish are gone though! Who-ever thought of putting those fish outside the Court-House or even in a roundabout should have a few words spoken to them imo. I don't know what happened to them but I sure am happy I'm not looking at them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

Halo Kitty wrote: »

Looks like they're on little stilts:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I think they will just make the angry people in the courthouse even angrier tbh!

my mother said they're beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Molzer2

Background is a bit crappy but hopefully that will green up in time, beautiful sculpture but have to agree the hoofs look a bit odd IMHO.

Oh I seriously hope the rally week-end won't be as bad as last year and my planned long weekend of study will actually happen!

=> yes some locals have study & other plans for the long weekend so how's about those of you planning on coming here show some more respect for the locals this year than what was shown last year yeah?!

That'd be nice,
    Thanks! :)

I'll be out of the country so it should be fairly quite lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i cannot see it being as bad as in past, after all those little souped up cars will be far and few between due to the economy, i think there are some new laws governing these now, and all there will be just real followers of motorsport,
    i go there every year, but i go to the stages and as soon as race is over i go home. it is lovely of a good sunny day,
    i do hope that the residents of killarney and surrounding areas are not annoyed by people who dont take others into consideration, and they are a very small minority of us that attend these events

goat2 wrote: »
    i cannot see it being as bad as in past, after all those little souped up cars will be far and few between due to the economy, i think there are some new laws governing these now, and all there will be just real followers of motorsport,
    i go there every year, but i go to the stages and as soon as race is over i go home. it is lovely of a good sunny day,
    i do hope that the residents of killarney and surrounding areas are not annoyed by people who dont take others into consideration, and they are a very small minority of us that attend these events

I admire your optimism goat2, truly! The rally-goers are grand, always were. It's the ones who follow the rally into town, don't follow it en route and create public-order problems that grate me :mad: and I don't forsee a change in those characters changing their antics this year though :(

Kerrys' loss truly is Clares' gain :)

"30 Apr 2012
    White-tailed sea eagles spotted nesting

And finally it's hoped there's going to be a baby boom for Kerry's white-tailed eagles - but it seems that the birds have decided to snub this county!
    A pair of the sea eagles have been spotted nesting near Lough Derg, in Co. Clare.

It's hoped that the happy couple may soon hatch some chicks - which would be the first time the region had seen sea eagle chicks in 110 years. The breeding pair was released in Killarney National Park last year as part of the White-Tailed Eagle Reintroduction Programme.

Although some pairs have established themselves in Kerry, the nesting attempt in Clare is the first known such event since the programme began. But what is Kerry's loss has proven to be Clare's gain! Eoin O'Hagan is the founder of Clare-Virtually-dot-ie which promotes tourism in the area"

http://snappy****.blogspot.com/2012/05/33-facts-about-killarney-that-only.html

^ Very funny blog post for those are from Killarney!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Lia_lia wrote: »

Link not working

Must be the bad word in it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Degag wrote: »
    Link not working

Must be the bad word in it;)
    The bad word begins with s and ends with t and you occasionally may find some on your shoe from where a non-toilet trained dog deposited some. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

DeepBlue wrote: »
    The bad word begins with s and ends with t and you occasionally may find some on your shoe from where a non-toilet trained dog deposited some. ;)
    I guessed! Pretty good read.

Whoops!

Lia_lia wrote: »

Good read alright, cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

Can anyone recommend some reputable tour operators in Killarney.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

New St Car Park is nowhere New Street.
    Whats with "Mackey Sheas"?
    Is St Olivers the largest primary school in Kerry and why was it sited there (Rookery Rd) and not next to the new church (and car park) on Park Rd?
    Why cant google maps, tom tom and garmin get the name of Mission Road right?
    Wheres the Port on Port Rd?
    How old is New St or New Rd?
    The Grotto.
    Jimmy the Masters.
    The Golden Gates.
    Dennehy's Bohereen - the definitive urban bohereen.
    The Flesk. Tralee doesn't have rivers or M&S's or real lakes.
    The Poly.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

New St Car Park is nowhere New Street.
    Whats with "Mackey Sheas"?
    Is St Olivers the largest primary school in Kerry and why was it sited there (Rookery Rd) and not next to the new church (and car park) on Park Rd?
    Why cant google maps, tom tom and garmin get the name of Mission Road right?
    Wheres the Port on Port Rd?
    How old is New St or New Rd?
    The Grotto.
    Jimmy the Masters.
    The Golden Gates.
    Dennehy's Bohereen - the definitive urban bohereen.
    The Flesk. Tralee doesn't have rivers or M&S's or real lakes.
    The Poly.

New Street Car Park is on the bottom of New Street. New Street is not just the straight part.

The Mackey in Mackey Sheas is a nickname. Pretty sure Mackey was the father of the current older Mr Shea. Actually their surname is O'Shea so its odd that the O is dropped.

Not sure about St Olivers but I guess it is - Tralee might have the population (anyway Tralee is smelly and full of poo) Cant see any other location in Kerry having a bigger one. No idea why its located where it was. I'd imagine it was the case that . Probably about 20 years between the school being built and the new church. If I run into Brendy I'll ask him ;)

Misson Road -WTF never heard of this :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Port Road - no idea ; maybe something to do with the river or maybe some mixedup translation from Irish

New St/ New Road - no clue

The Grotto - always found this weird ; in a related note Christ the King (grotto/statue accross from the International)

Jimmy the Masters - named after the owner ; was there some connection to horses?

The Golden Gates - heard a rumour that there was a passage under the road around here.

Dennehy's Bohereen - the definitive urban bohereen. WORD

The Flesk. Tralee doesn't have rivers or M&S's or real lakes. :D Funny cos its true

The Poly - Wha???? Never heard of this

Muckross Road isnt Muckross Road - and the High Court says so :rolleyes:

College Street - named after the St Brendans apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

The rally:mad:
    myself and the missus are getting out of dodge for the weekend:(
    I really cannot stomach it anymore
    anyone else taking to the hills!!?

• Advertisement

68Murph68 wrote: »
    New Street Car Park is on the bottom of New Street. New Street is not just the straight part.

The Mackey in Mackey Sheas is a nickname. Pretty sure Mackey was the father of the current older Mr Shea. Actually their surname is O'Shea so its odd that the O is dropped.

Not sure about St Olivers but I guess it is - Tralee might have the population (anyway Tralee is smelly and full of poo) Cant see any other location in Kerry having a bigger one. No idea why its located where it was. I'd imagine it was the case that . Probably about 20 years between the school being built and the new church. If I run into Brendy I'll ask him ;)

Misson Road -WTF never heard of this :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Port Road - no idea ; maybe something to do with the river or maybe some mixedup translation from Irish

New St/ New Road - no clue

The Grotto - always found this weird ; in a related note Christ the King (grotto/statue accross from the International)

Jimmy the Masters - named after the owner ; was there some connection to horses?

The Golden Gates - heard a rumour that there was a passage under the road around here.

Dennehy's Bohereen - the definitive urban bohereen. WORD

The Flesk. Tralee doesn't have rivers or M&S's or real lakes. :D Funny cos its true

The Poly - Wha???? Never heard of this

Muckross Road isnt Muckross Road - and the High Court says so :rolleyes:

College Street - named after the St Brendans apparently

The golden gates were originally golden in colour.
    There is an old tunnel that runs under the road to the house across the way on the roundabout. you can still see the entrance to the tunnel it is covered by concrete,
    Go in the golden gates take the path that goes straight (not the one that veers to the right) take the left turn and keep going over to the wall, you will see to the left before the wall a path that goes left alongside the closed off garden, the entrance is up there

Advertisement