Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

The kude, plaza & The ross. Nice places but not touristy/Irish....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

2 cars were broken into in the upper torc carpark at the start of the old kenmare road this evening. Don't leave your car unattended up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

xxyyzz wrote: »
    2 cars were broken into in the upper torc carpark at the start of the old kenmare road this evening. Don't leave your car unattended up there.

There should be CCTV put in all those car parks.
    Hopefully they catch the scumbags.doubthful though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

xxyyzz wrote: »

Not the first time I can assure you & I know for a fact that not all incidents are reported to the local Guards either.

Cars also being damaged and scraped, my own included one day whilst climbing torc! and at the carpark opposite the Muckross Park Hotel :mad: No note; no-one around on returning to car so didn't report. No cameras in those areas.

Heading into Tourist Season for Killarney now. We don't need incidents like these, truly don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

I got a haircut in Julie Healy's recently and feel like I was taken for a fool. The person who cut my hair was very rough and cut me numerous times, I didn't see the full extent til I went home and looked in the mirror. I'm never going back there again. I'm actually paranoid about the razor that cut me- how many other people has it cut?? And yes I know I should have complained. Are there any good barbers around? What's the one near subway like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

kaji wrote: »
    I got a haircut in Julie Healy's recently and feel like I was taken for a fool. The person who cut my hair was very rough and cut me numerous times, I didn't see the full extent til I went home and looked in the mirror. I'm never going back there again. I'm actually paranoid about the razor that cut me- how many other people has it cut?? And yes I know I should have complained. Are there any good barbers around? What's the one near subway like?
    New Strands down near Dunnes, very friendly and competent. Think you need to book ahead though

Thanks for replying! Is that a barbers or unisex hairdressers?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

Anyone come across the tayto bars in any shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Thanks for replying! Is that a barbers or unisex hairdressers?

Unisex (I'm male btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭katy67

Are you allowed to drive around muckross lake? On google map it looks like that you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

just a quick couple of questions
    been many years since i was in kerry and heading next week :)
    should i book the gap of dunloe tours online? or is it as handy to turn up on the day? is it good value for money? we will be walking the pass. deros or gap of dunloe tours? or any other recommendations

is the mountain viable for a day? we dont have transport , is there a bus service? just be worried about climbing down and waiting half the night for a bus.

have 2 full days there , any other suggestions welcome.

we will check out a few pubs mentioned in the thread

katy67 wrote: »
    Are you allowed to drive around muckross lake? On google map it looks like that you can.

No you cannot. It is a nice cycle though. Rent bikes, the cycle is called 'Muckross and Dinis'.

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    just a quick couple of questions
    been many years since i was in kerry and heading next week :)
    should i book the gap of dunloe tours online? or is it as handy to turn up on the day? is it good value for money? we will be walking the pass. deros or gap of dunloe tours? or any other recommendations

is the mountain viable for a day? we dont have transport , is there a bus service? just be worried about climbing down and waiting half the night for a bus.

have 2 full days there , any other suggestions welcome.

we will check out a few pubs mentioned in the thread

This time of year, you are better to book something as the boat trips depend on weather and whether there are bookings. I don't know how much it is, I think it is pretty reasonable. It is a beautiful tour if you get a half-decent day.

What mountain do you speak of? I'd recommend Torc mountain you can get a taxi out there pretty cheap from town and it has breathtaking views of the town, lakes and surrounds.

The gap tour one day and Torc mountain on the other sounds like a great little vacation!

This time of year, you are better to book something as the boat trips depend on weather and whether there are bookings. I don't know how much it is, I think it is pretty reasonable. It is a beautiful tour if you get a half-decent day.

What mountain do you speak of? I'd recommend Torc mountain you can get a taxi out there pretty cheap from town and it has breathtaking views of the town, lakes and surrounds.

The gap tour one day and Torc mountain on the other sounds like a great little vacation!

yeah we are very excited about it :)
    spent my childhood holidays in lixnaw and havent really been back since.
    the mountain is carrauntoohil , i couldnt spell it.
    we have recently climbed donard in northern ireland and would be nice to climb the highest in the south,
    but am worried it might be too much for such a short break esp wanting to use public transport.
    but we are happy maybe to wander to muckross and do the walk there.

if anyone is interested we found a great deal to get there.
    irish rail do discounted fares online and couple that with extra promotional codes via boards or facebook.
    we got 33% off booking on easter sunday so 2 return fares from dublin to killarney was €55!! fuel would of been at least twice that!

for the hotel , an post are doing a great deal , if you pay a couple of bills in the post office they give you a voucher for http://www.postbreaks.ie/
    we had a choice of hotels for €99 each for 3 nights bed and breakfast and one evening meal.

so travel and accomodation cost around €130 for 3 days away!
    thats stunning value

perhaps of use to someone if they have friends/family want to visit for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

I find it strange that anyone could leave a hair salon or barbers without looking in the mirror to see how their haircut looked.:confused: If you didn't complain on the day, have you gone back there since to let them know about your experience? I'm sure any business would like to hear about problems which a customer may have had so that they can deal with situation appropriately. If you are concerned go back and tell them about your issues and maybe spare someone else from the trauma which you apparently went through.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

Just reading in the "outlook" that botty raised the issue of illegal parking in disabled spaces at a recent council meeting.
    dont usually read articles relating to council matters or have much interest in what they meet about,but have to say fair play to him on this, i'm sick of seeing arseholes illegally parking in these spaces(but am too quiet and dislike confrontation to ever say anything).
    hopefully something will come out of this

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Yes Botty and Cllr Tom Doherty (who has a disability himself) have raised this many times. I dont think the problem is so much on streets and public car parks so much as in supermarket carparks.
    – A Killarney Town Councillor says the ignorance of people parking illegally in disabled spaces is shocking. Councillor Niall Botty O’Callaghancllr Niall O'Callaghan1 raised the issue at the monthly meeting of Killarney Town Council. The councillor claims the issue is happening in supermarket carparks. The council have previously raised the problem with supermarkets and received responses. However, Councillor O’Callaghan says nothing has happened. The council is to request supermarket representatives come in and speak with them on the matter.

Also how many times do you see a car pulling up in a blue bay displaying the blue badge and the driver jumps out of the car like a spring lamb and sprints down the path like Eugene Bolt! How do they get the blue badge and they have some gall to abuse the scheme like that.

It wasn't the actual end result of the haircut that was the problem. It was the way the shaver was used- too quickly which kept snagging and she was actually yanking it through my hair, ripping hairs out. Then the razor on the back of the neck which cut me many times- couldn't see all the marks til I'd gotten home as it was on the back of my neck- the blood had dried by this stage. I'm never setting foot in there again, not even to complain as the only solution that they could offer is to fire the hairdresser who cut my hair as she was so inept at her job. And no, she wasn't just starting out either. I'll take my custom elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Yes Botty and Cllr Tom Doherty (who has a disability himself) have raised this many times. I dont think the problem is so much on streets and public car parks so much as in supermarket carparks.

Also how many times do you see a car pulling up in a blue bay displaying the blue badge and the driver jumps out of the car like a spring lamb and sprints down the path like Eugene Bolt! How do they get the blue badge and they have some gall to abuse the scheme like that.

Cllr Tom Doherty has been raising this issue for as long as I can remember. It's about time he was listened to!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭DonR8

I seen this numerous of times, i know people who have a badge because of the family member, they also get free parking too if they park in a normal parking space. they even park there if the family members aren't with them.

I can tell you one thing for nothing though, One family i know who do this and the reason the got that blue badge was over someones eye sight nothing else, its not likes she blind it cause she wear glasses. That what pisses me off like.

There father must have been good with puppets when he was younger cause he is well able to pull strings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

That's true but that's a Department of Social Protection issue AFAIK.

The issue of parking by drivers who dont even have a blue badge is something the local authorities can, and are right to be, dealing with. I see it all the time and it really gets my goat. Especially when you try say something to the offender and not one f*** could they give!

It's such a pointless, selfish two fingers to the disabled, who spend far longer trying to get through their day like able bodied people than it would take these messers to find another spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

Lads, I could do with some help if someone of ye know of the name of a a good dentist who could provide some emergency cover tomorrow morning.

I've had the part of the upper outside of a molar tooth collapse tonight (it was previously filled about 8 or 9 years ago) and it's giving some soreness at the moment, not pain just yet but I've had this happen before and with other molars, one of which required a root canal and two of which required crowns.

I think that I need a emergency patch up job done on the tooth tomorrow, such as re-filling and maybe an injection of anti-biotics etc. to deal with any infection that may have set in, etc.

Any recommendations on a dentist that might be available in the Killarney area or thereabouts?

I'd be willing to travel a good bit because from past experience now that the toot is disintegrating it's only going to be a few hours before the major pain in the root will begin....

Any help very kindly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

l don't know of any dentist in Killarney nor any that would be open on a sunday....all l can think of maybe if you rang south doc, just explain the suitation & then maybe they could put you in contact with an emergency dentist?

what a wonderful place Killarney is.
    had a great few days there last week.
    stayed at the riverside and all was grand there.
    got to muckross and walked all around there , did the ring of kerry on a rainy day and the gap of dunloe on a changeable day.
    all were brilliant.
    took the deros tour and enjoyed it , handy not having to drive and not much stopping at tourist shops.
    gap of dunloe is stunning but it is a bit annoying with the cars , we were about the only ones on it !!

so many americans there but i didnt find it a rip off at all , lord brandons cottage , €3 for a soup , €1.80 for a coffee , €2 for a slice of cake , all about right.

ate in quinlans the first night , very good chipper and decent enough prices , good mug of tea and no bother getting the pot topped up , coke was ice cold and everything was fresh and clean.

liked the ice cream place across the road , bit pricey but well worth it for the kerry cows ice cream , delicious!

ate in the hotel , decent food and generous portions.

ate in the porthouse , 25€ for a 3 course and large glass of wine , super value , massive portions and decent grub.

also the chocolate cafe facing the cinema worth a mention , really enjoyed the frozen yougurt!

all in all a super break and wont leave it so long to visit again , the scenery and vibe is superb.

and im sure there is a bit of greed going on as is in tourist places but i didnt see that at all , any services and entertainment we had was of a decent quality and we didnt feel ripped off at all.

oh should mention the only negative and it was mentioned on this thread earlier.

i wanted to get my hair cut in a barbers.
    i dont have much so its a number one all over , thats it!

place on the main street facing the gap of dunloe tour pub was looking €14.50 for that! no way am i paying that.
    went to place around the corner , more of a unisex place , had to go up stairs to get to it , only €8 but without a doubt the worst cut ive ever had!!! misses all over the place and im going to have to go to my own barber to get it cut properly.

sort of annoyed me as it was the only bad service i had all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Small world - But did you get a lift from a fella with a dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Read in today's Irish Times that Easons are opening in Killarney as well as Shannon and Mallow. I wonder where in the town they are locating or if an existing newsagent/bookstore have bought the franchise.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/retail-and-services/eason-adds-hughes-hughes-outlets-to-chain-1.1370278

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

ongarboy wrote: »
    Read in today's Irish Times that Easons are opening in Killarney as well as Shannon and Mallow. I wonder where in the town they are locating or if an existing newsagent/bookstore have bought the franchise.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/retail-and-services/eason-adds-hughes-hughes-outlets-to-chain-1.1370278

Interesting news alright. That will be 3 Easons in the County.

Are dogs without leads allowed down in the National Park? I was walking there today and heard a big noise and 2 deer ran right past. I thought "Wow", then a big dog ran past me also. He was chasing them into the forest and as the deer were young enough, I was worried that he might catch one and kill it. Now I know all about the "circle of life", but this is a bit different as it's a park for everyone and I don't want to see a dog rip a deer to shreds. Plus that dog could have easily gone for a small child, he seemed pure vicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Are dogs without leads allowed down in the National Park?
    Dogs without leads are not allowed in the national Park.

Advertisement