Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

kaji wrote: »
    Are dogs without leads allowed down in the National Park?
    Dogs without leads are not allowed in the national Park.

Posted last October:
    NP&WL service staff erected signs asking for dogs to be kept on leads at several entrances to the National Park last week.

Dogs have been worrying deer and other livestock in the national park in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Hey guys ,
    Sorry in advance Im sure these questions have being asked plenty of times before!We just would love to hear some recommendations first hand.

We are getting married next week (it's a secret)!We are getting married in the church,just the two of us then a few photographs after.
    We will then be heading down to Killarney 2days,3 nights.

This will be our first holiday in 2years as we were saving for the big wedding but then changed our mind a few weeks ago and we have a little fella!

We are looking for a really nice fancy restaurant for the Friday night as this will be our wedding night!The other nights then would like a nice takeaway for chips,burgers etc,Italian,Chinese,thai food we love also.
    We have a car so don't mind traveling a bit to go somewhere nice for the wedding night.

Also any other tips for nice breakfast,lunches bars(nothing too mental as she doesn't drink ).

Sorry for the rant,thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hey guys ,
    Sorry in advance Im sure these questions have being asked plenty of times before!We just would love to hear some recommendations first hand.

We are getting married next week (it's a secret)!We are getting married in the church,just the two of us then a few photographs after.

This will be our first holiday in 2years as we were saving for the big wedding but then changed our mind a few weeks ago and we have a little fella!

We are looking for a really nice fancy restaurant for the Friday night as this will be our wedding night!The other nights then would like a nice takeaway for chips,burgers etc,Italian,Chinese,thai food we love also.
    We have a car so don't mind traveling a bit to go somewhere nice for the wedding night.

Also any other tips for nice breakfast,lunches bars(nothing too mental as she doesn't drink ).

Many Congratulations :)

Have you read about the Hotel Europe right here perhaps for the Friday night? Fine-dining and Stunning Views & Surroundings!

Genting Thai can organise take-out for you also for another night - One of my Favourite Places to Dine in Killarney is in Genting Thai.

& That was NOT a rant btw! It was lovely to read :)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Many Congratulations :)

Have you read about the Hotel Europe right here perhaps for the Friday night? Fine-dining and Stunning Views & Surroundings!

Genting Thai can organise take-out for you also for another night - One of my Favourite Places to Dine in Killarney is in Genting Thai.

& That was NOT a rant btw! It was lovely to read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Hey guys ,

Congrats.

In addition to Kerry4Sam's good advice maybe investigate Gabys in town - as its another option in terms of a really nice fancy restaurant. It's a seafood restaurant and it really is a top of the line restaurant.

In terms of somewhere a little different in terms of bars - maybe the The Lane in the Ross hotel. It's a bit more fancy than a standard pub.

Wholesome Fayre is a funky kind of stylish cafe which does both breakfasts/ lunches/brunch (does dinner as well) There is a deli and speciality food shop attached.

Just some more options to add to the mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

Oh god.....rally weekend:(:(:(:(:(
    time to buy in supplies and barricade myself in til all the idiots leave:(

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Congrats.

In addition to Kerry4Sam's good advice maybe investigate Gabys in town - as its another option in terms of a really nice fancy restaurant. It's a seafood restaurant and it really is a top of the line restaurant.

In terms of somewhere a little different in terms of bars - maybe the The Lane in the Ross hotel. It's a bit more fancy than a standard pub.

Wholesome Fayre is a funky kind of stylish cafe which does both breakfasts/ lunches/brunch (does dinner as well) There is a deli and speciality food shop attached.

Just some more options to add to the mix.
    Thanks boom boom.We will be sure to check all your suggestions out.
    Didn't realise there's a rally on,would that mean a rougher crowd around and more trouble :(

Oh god.....rally weekend:(:(:(:(:(
    time to buy in supplies and barricade myself in til all the idiots leave:(

Take a deep breath in and breathe slowly back out & Repeat! & Repeat!

Seriously dislike this week-end every damn year! Maybe we might get surprised this year; maybe 2013 is the year of less annoying idiots entering Killarney and not actually following the official Rally :confused:

I live in Hope so I do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Not a fan of the Rally weekend either but am still gonna head out for it :eek: hopefully l'll come home back in one peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

xxyyzz wrote: »
    2 cars were broken into in the upper torc carpark at the start of the old kenmare road this evening. Don't leave your car unattended up there.

We were up there last week and saw the broken toughened glass still on the ground in two bays. This is a very off-putting sight for tourists (and others) setting off for a walk from this lovely spot - the warning sign as you leave the top end of the car park, though well intended, is enough to give you the creeps.
    A simple CCTV camera recording number plates somewhere on the mile long road to the car park might help.
    (I know - money again!

I'll take a dustpan and brush next time we go - if one of you could do so in the meantime, that would be even better.

Can't really avoid leaving your car unattended - just don't put anything at all in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Oliverdog wrote: »
    We were up there last week and saw the broken toughened glass still on the ground in two bays. This is a very off-putting sight for tourists (and others) setting off for a walk from this lovely spot - the warning sign as you leave the top end of the car park, though well intended, is enough to give you the creeps.
    A simple CCTV camera recording number plates somewhere on the mile long road to the car park might help.
    (I know - money again!

I'll take a dustpan and brush next time we go - if one of you could do so in the meantime, that would be even better.

Can't really avoid leaving your car unattended - just don't put anything at all in it.
    Alternatively park in the muckross park hotel and walk or cycle up the Queen's drive. There's a right of way through bill and jackies's garden to the trails above torc.

Take a deep breath in and breathe slowly back out & Repeat! & Repeat!

Seriously dislike this week-end every damn year! Maybe we might get surprised this year; maybe 2013 is the year of less annoying idiots entering Killarney and not actually following the official Rally :confused:

I live in Hope so I do!

And it begins:(
    couple of fools in their "cars" drove up and down my road at ridiculous speed earlier today....its a country road with a few dangerous bends......
    anyone know where a fella could get a few of those "stingers" that the guards use?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Box of thumb tacks should do the trick. :P

^ we use to have a problem with boy racers in our area almost every week of the night, my dad was v tempeted to scatter nails across the road (obvs didn't)

couple of fools in their "cars" drove up and down my road at ridiculous speed earlier today....its a country road with a few dangerous bends......
    anyone know where a fella could get a few of those "stingers" that the guards use?:p

D'you know I am just throwing this out there: IF their was any way we could have people being supervised operating a wheelbarrow in their own backyard before being allowed enter Killarney in charge of an MPV this weekend; I'd appreciate and promote it!

Driving home from work this afternoon was real interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Hi there. Im staying in Killarney tonight and need to park the car overnigh. With the rally on and all the stuff going on around it where would be the safest place to park up for the night??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

CianDon wrote: »
    Hi there. Im staying in Killarney tonight and need to park the car overnigh. With the rally on and all the stuff going on around it where would be the safest place to park up for the night??

Abbeydorney!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Had some muppet in a Glanza try overtake me this evening out the Cork road, sad git had the hoodie up and all, I heard a load of revving and as he was trying to get it up to speed, I've seen pushbikes with more power than it. Petrol went up 5c - 10c/litre in Killarney too I noticed as they cash in on the boyracers and their tincan heaps of scrap.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Had some muppet in a Glanza try overtake me this evening out the Cork road, sad git had the hoodie up and all, I heard a load of revving and as he was trying to get it up to speed, I've seen pushbikes with more power than it. Petrol went up 5c - 10c/litre in Killarney too I noticed as they cash in on the boyracers and their tincan heaps of scrap.

Spotted a real beauty earlier aswell....a 1.0ltr micra with a 4ft aerial on the roof, spoilers,side panel thingys,stickers all over the place and alloy wheels that looked like they came off a ferrari!! there was so much weight on the car i'd say it could only move down-hill:D
    muppet was revving and driving right up my arse all the way out the park road, of course i drove away slower than usual:p
    the hero eventually passed me going down the pike hill

Maybe try and get some video of them - making sure to get the license plates.

Video footage makes it very very easy for the Guards to nick folk acting like idiots in cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Murphj7

Ah stop acting like grannies. Its one weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Murphj7 wrote: »
    It's not the "one weekend" that worries people. The "one weekend" brings alot of welcome business to the town and surrounding areas. It unfortunately brings alot of muppets to the town also and that can cause alot of problems for local residents.

Murphj7 wrote: »

The Rally itself is a Fantastic boost for Killarney! Delighted to have the Rally of the Lakes, as an event, in itself.

It's the trouble that follows en suite. It is the people who arrive in to the town with no respect for anyone but themselves that creates the backlash. That is not the fault of the Rally organisers as they have no say who follows and acts like complete d***heads in and around the town. I heard an advert from the RSA this week, in conjunction with Rally Ireland, on RadioKerry. They are doing their part.

I would hope no granny would have to take to the roads around Killarney this week-end with some of the troublesome and completely wreckless individuals that arrived on our door-steps. They have no real clue who is driving in-front of them with they are messing on our roads; no real clue of where that person is going to or what stress they are under. They don't seem to care either.

The Rally finishes early in the evening, but the antics thereafter is the reason for a backlash against this week-end, imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The Rally itself is a Fantastic boost for Killarney! Delighted to have the Rally of the Lakes, as an event, in itself.

It's the trouble that follows en suite. It is the people who arrive in to the town with no respect for anyone but themselves that creates the backlash. That is not the fault of the Rally organisers as they have no say who follows and acts like complete d***heads in and around the town. I heard an advert from' the RSA this week, in conjunction with Rally Ireland, on RadioKerry. They are doing their part.

I would hope no granny would have to take to the roads around Killarney this week-end with some of the troublesome and completely wreckless individuals that arrived on our door-steps. They have no real clue who is driving in-front of them with they are messing on our roads; no real clue of where that person is going to or what stress they are under. They don't seem to care either.

The Rally finishes early in the evening, but the antics thereafter is the reason for a backlash against this week-end, imo

The guards need to start seizing cars, seize 9 or10 cars from the scumbags and I can assure. You word wouldn't be long spreading to the rest.

It's the trouble that follows en suite. It is the people who arrive in to the town with no respect for anyone but themselves that creates the backlash. That is not the fault of the Rally organisers as they have no say who follows and acts like complete d***heads in and around the town. I heard an advert from the RSA this week, in conjunction with Rally Ireland, on RadioKerry. They are doing their part.

I'm not 100% sure that I'd agree that the rally is a fantastic boost for Killarney.

Anything I've heard in terms of talk in town is that the rally supporters are pretty poor in terms of their average spend in town (mainly due to the demographics/nature of the crowd) I've heard a fair bit of talk of young lads sleeping in cars or budget accommodation and buying all their food/drink in Tescos or Dunnes.

I think that a large part of the reason the Rally is allowed continue is for historical reasons.

I'd say it would be very interesting to see what the visitor numbers were like if the rally was cancelled. Given its May Bank holiday weekend, I'd be massively gobsmacked if Killarney wasn't busy anyway. People see visitors around town and just assume that its related to the Rally as opposed to the fact that its a Bank Holiday weekend.

If the promotional money spent on the rally was spent on some other more local friendly event would the town not be better off. Could easily see a situation where you ended up with less visitors but a higher overall tourist spend.

On a related point how many people are put off visiting Killarney this weekend because of traffic restrictions or wanting to stay away from "rally crowd" ?

I think the organisers know they have to be seen to be making every effort to try and control the bad element as they know that there are a fair few people in town who would like to see the back of the rally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

How many people who live in the town actually leave for the weekend? I'd imagine most folk who live here don't venture near town over the weekend with all the gob****es around.
    And I can't see how it's good for business as most of these donkeys don't spend much as they gang around filling stations eating cheap food and drink. Monday can't come quick enough! :(

Can someone tell me how many minutes walk to is from the town centre to the quality hotel? 15min? 30min?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Can someone tell me how many minutes walk to is from the town centre to the quality hotel? 15min? 30min?

Half an hour at your ease, 25 mins at a brisk walk, that hotel is at the edge of the town near the Cork road.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

Killarney Farranfore road closed after crash. Hopefully nobody innocent has been hurt.

LINK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Taken from the Irish Examiner
    The crash happened at Brennan's Glen on the N21 at around 2.30pm.

Two people were travelling in each car. A man in his 70s and a woman in her 50s were in the first, while two men in their 20s were in the second.

They were all taken to Tralee General Hospital.

The road has been closed for a technical examination and diversions are in place.

According to Radio Kerry, one of the victims is in a critical condition

Advertisement