Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Boy racers were coming out to listry/milltown last night. There were about 60 of them doing burnouts etc. Absolute madness

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I was in Killarney this evening and there was alot of unsavory characters around, the only businesses benefitting from the Rally are Petrol Stations, McDonalds and a few cheap hostels and B&B's although alot of the supporters of this so-called "sport" prefer to sleep in their vehicles.

The economic argument for the rally no longer stands up, it attracts low spending custom and is totally out of character with what Killarney is about. It attracts the wrong type of people into Killarney and is actually damaging the towns high quality reputation, I'd hate to be an American tourist who came to Killarney this weekend expecting a nice quaint peaceful Irish town only to find it besieged by utter scumbags in their "scoobies" and Glanza's driving around with impunity.

I don't want to paint all Rally followers here but the truth is that this event has gotten out of hand too many times in the past and it is a magnet for idiots and is totally the wrong type of clientele to be bringing into Killarney.

If the Rally was cancelled then more ordinary decent people would choose to stay in Killarney over the May Bank Holiday, boosting hotels and restaurants and spending money in these local businesses, foreign tourists will still have their positive image of the town and the locals will not find themselves under siege as happens each year. The majority of people are not interested in Rallying and the Rally acts as a deterrent to the domestic market also as people would opt to avoid Killarney because of the wrong types it attracts.

Getting rid of the rally is the right choice economically and also for the reputation Killarney has to uphold. Kerry is the second biggest tourist attraction after Dublin and it bad enough that Dublin City Centre is over-ran with scumbags, now imagine your a middle class American couple who paid $3-4k for a week or ten days and after the horrors that was Dublin you head down to the SouthWest to find the real Ireland only to find this scumfest has overran Ireland's tourism capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Madman2

Can someone tell me how many minutes walk to is from the town centre to the quality hotel? 15min? 30min?

10 mins semi brisk walk 15 at a very slow pace, and yes i do this everyday:)

Tbh living in Killarney town i can honestly say this is the quitest year we've seen here yet, maybe a bigger alcohol kerfue for tesco and the likes might help as have seen loads of young fellas buying big there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Met an American group on the train from Mallow last friday.
    They were in Ireland for a while and were spending the weekend in Killarney.
    Don't think I was ever so embarrassed to be from the town.
    I really hope the rally didn't affect them too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Madman2 wrote: »
    10 mins semi brisk walk 15 at a very slow pace, and yes i do this everyday:)

Tbh living in Killarney town i can honestly say this is the quitest year we've seen here yet, maybe a bigger alcohol kerfue for tesco and the likes might help as have seen loads of young fellas buying big there today.
    #

I was in Supervalu(Daly's) at 8ish on Saturday. It was much quieter than it would be usually. I'm guessing that the usual shoppers stayed away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Is it safe to venture into town? I can still hear them from here at the top of Muckross Road!!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

madcabbage wrote: »
    Is it safe to venture into town? I can still hear them from here at the top of Muckross Road!!

I certainly hope so,im heading in shortly
    just get a few fast pints down and hopefully that will make a fella immune to the nonsense:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Hey guys,
    Thinking about going to Rozzers,Europe hotel,Aghadoe heights or Lord Kenmares restaurant.Its for our wedding night so looking for somewhere with nice views and some really nice food.
    If anyone has dined here in the past we would love to hear about It or We would be grateful for any further suggestions also.
    Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

CianDon wrote: »
    Hi there. Im staying in Killarney tonight and need to park the car overnigh. With the rally on and all the stuff going on around it where would be the safest place to park up for the night??

Hope your car was okay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

siblers wrote: »
    Boy racers were coming out to listry/milltown last night. There were about 60 of them doing burnouts etc. Absolute madness

Was driving to work this morning and between Killorglin and Milltown the tyre marks all over the road was embarrassing !!! Then just a few miles up the road a car was crashed in a field.

• Advertisement

Was driving to work this morning and between Killorglin and Milltown the tyre marks all over the road was embarrassing !!! Then just a few miles up the road a car was crashed in a field.

There are tyre (doughnut) marks right in front of the entrance to Muckross house.

madrabui wrote: »
    There are tyre (doughnut) marks right in front of the entrance to Muckross house.

I think at this point the boy racers have done a better job of resurfacing the roads than the council themselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

There were tyre marks at the end of the country lane where I live which is 20 minutes from Kilarney, you'd think the Gardai would have a few patrol cars out and about, not exactly hard to find where they are acting the bollocks.

Their is currently a very damaged Subaru parked outside a few doors up (looks like it hit the gutter hard..sideways), but even the usual bypass nightriders have been missing this year, seems the surrounding towns copped the worst of it.

CianDon you can/could of parked outside our place if you want , less than 5 mins walk to town and lots of security (i own some classic cars myself and sleep with one eye open so things don't dissappear during this week)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

We arrived in Killarney to do some cycling not realising that the rally was on but it didn't take long for the penny to drop, we heard them before we saw them, vroom vroom, that noise will be ingrained in my mind for weeks, i had a headache from hearing it for the best part of 2 days.
    We had booked into a B+B on the muckross road for 2 nights and last night was a nightmare, our room surrounded by skangers and they behaved like what they are, more or less til dawn and beyond, the manager spoke to them, but to no avail, why he didn't call the guards i don't know or maybe he did but it had no effect.
    We went for a cycle today and upon returning they were still there, so we decided to bail out, another night like last night we could not take, even though at reception we were informed they were leaving the general atmosphere around the town didn't help the situation, the sight of them, some barely able to see over their steering wheels was vile, dumping their rubbish where ever they like and generally being eyesores around the town, it's not often i'm happy to get out of Killarney but we couldn't get out of it fast enough today. We'll definitely be back, but not on the may bank holiday next year.

siblers wrote: »
    There were tyre marks at the end of the country lane where I live which is 20 minutes from Kilarney, you'd think the Gardai would have a few patrol cars out and about, not exactly hard to find where they are acting the bollocks.

Chances are the Gardai were up to their tonsils with the town itself...not only did they have to contend with the boy racers, they also had to deal with the drunken mosh pit that were most of the towns pubs and nightclubs.

We arrived in Killarney to do some cycling not realising that the rally was on but it didn't take long for the penny to drop, we heard them before we saw them, vroom vroom, that noise will be ingrained in my mind for weeks, i had a headache from hearing it for the best part of 2 days.
    We had booked into a B+B on the muckross road for 2 nights and last night was a nightmare, our room surrounded by skangers and they behaved like what they are, more or less til dawn and beyond, the manager spoke to them, but to no avail, why he didn't call the guards i don't know or maybe he did but it had no effect.
    We went for a cycle today and upon returning they were still there, so we decided to bail out, another night like last night we could not take, even though at reception we were informed they were leaving the general atmosphere around the town didn't help the situation, the sight of them, some barely able to see over their steering wheels was vile, dumping their rubbish where ever they like and generally being eyesores around the town, it's not often i'm happy to get out of Killarney but we couldn't get out of it fast enough today. We'll definitely be back, but not on the may bank holiday next year.

This! This is exactly what I have been listening to since this week-end started! You're certainly not on your own with this. I do wonder though if any of this feedback is being listened to by the powers that be.

Chances are the Gardai were up to their tonsils with the town itself...not only did they have to contend with the boy racers, they also had to deal with the drunken mosh pit that were most of the towns pubs and nightclubs.

From what I am hearing the Gardaí cannot do any more than what they have been doing. Cannot lay blame with the Gardaí on this week-end; just not enough man-power or resources in general really is what I am hearing. That's the same throughout this country though; so Killarney this week-end is not unique there.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    From what I am hearing the Gardaí cannot do any more than what they have been doing. Cannot lay blame with the Gardaí on this week-end; just not enough man-power or resources in general really is what I am hearing. That's the same throughout this country though; so Killarney this week-end is not unique there.

I agree and I didn't mean anything against them by my previous post. The Gardai do trojan work and I greatly admire them. I was just thinking of the state the town centre was in when the carry on in the suburbs and surrounding area was taking place. God only knows what the Gardai had to deal with this weekend...

This! This is exactly what I have been listening to since this week-end started! You're certainly not on your own with this. I do wonder though if any of this feedback is being listened to by the powers that be.

Until you can stop "the rally of the lakes" being broadcasted overseas on nearly every motoring channel definitley not i'd say. It is just my imagination or are the "guriers" getting younger and younger:confused: some of them look about 12

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

was out last night, thought it would be way busier & rougher but wasn't too bad, though the amount of cars driving around, revving up the engines, heads gawked out the windows to see whos watching them was a right nuisance. Doubt il go out for it next year, like most of ye l don't like the crowd around!

The impression i got from the receptionist, who was very apologetic, was that there were a lot of complaints, it's part of a group of B+B's in Killarney and i suspect there was a lot of hassle.
    She asked for my mobile number and said the general manager would be in touch during the week. We had paid for 2 nights by credit card so i don't expect any kind of refund but we couldn't take any more.

Have a look at Youtube. The Rally 'supporters' have posted some videos already e.g. http://youtu.be/eCsVHZigyvk

Have a look at Youtube. The Rally 'supporters' have posted some videos already e.g. http://youtu.be/eCsVHZigyvk

Aye, there's a few videos up there alright...reassuring that a good portion (or the majority in some cases) of the comments are lambasting the drivers.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Quick question, the boyfriend's sister is getting married in the Killarney Oaks over the summer. The cost of the room is €150 which is a bit dear, considering we'll be in there for about 3 hours. Can you maybe list out a few hotels very close by (very very close - me in heels at 4/5 in morning), and I can check if they have cheaper rooms available for that date?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Jogathon wrote: »
    Quick question, the boyfriend's sister is getting married in the Killarney Oaks over the summer. The cost of the room is €150 which is a bit dear, considering we'll be in there for about 3 hours. Can you maybe list out a few hotels very close by (very very close - me in heels at 4/5 in morning), and I can check if they have cheaper rooms available for that date?

Thanks!

Victoria House, Gleneagle Hotel, Holiday Inn to name a few along the Muckross Road. Rates everywhere are gonna be more in the peak season.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Thanks. I know it will all be dear, and we'll probably end up staying there anyway but if I can save €50 then her wedding present can be bigger!

Booking.com or hotels.com, trivago.ie will give you a range of prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

He is one talented driver. If only the rally consisted of laps around a barrell, he would win! He must have a good co-driver!

Its such a pity that the rally has drawn these dirty rotten useless little scumbags to Killarney. The real rally supporters are nothing like this and are as disgusted by them as everyone else. Even if the rally was banned, would they still congregate around Killarney for the bank holiday weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

My wife was working at weekend in evening and low and behold isn't there a huge dent in the wing of my car. Like someone had punched it or a fight and they went into my car. There's no scratches or broken paint. I'm let's say less than amused!! Anyone any ideas how to pop this dent out.

Advertisement