Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Killarney is looking great in the sunshine for the Ring of Kerry Cycle and the match on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

does anyone know if theres any bus eireann buses operatiing today? need to get the bus to killarney!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

Had my 16-year-old sister stay with me while our parents are away for a few days. Took her to the game on Sunday so that kept her entertained but trying to think of something to do for someone who is too young for the pub but too old for the kiddie stuff was nearly impossible.

We ended up playing Pitch n Putt in Deerpark up Lewis Rd on Monday. She has never played before but she caught on quickly with a little advice and we had a great time. Also only €12 for the two of us with clubs, balls and tees included. The amazing weather helped to enjoy it too. The course looked in great shape too so credit to the staff there. Would highly recommend it.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Had my 16-year-old sister stay with me while our parents are away for a few days. Took her to the game on Sunday so that kept her entertained but trying to think of something to do for someone who is too young for the pub but too old for the kiddie stuff was nearly impossible.

Cinema, swimming pool, walk up Torc or around Muckross Lake, visit to Muckross House, Ross Castle, cycle the Gap, visit the wonderful Cathedral or Muckross Abbey, boat trip on lakes, high ropes etc. etc...for things to do, not sure any place in the country comes near Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Made my first trip to Killarney in many years last week and have to say I thought it was much better than before. Good feeling about the town, a warm buzz. The place looked really well with nice planting done around the town and really well kept business fronts. Well done to all.

• Advertisement

Cinema, swimming pool, walk up Torc or around Muckross Lake, visit to Muckross House, Ross Castle, cycle the Gap, visit the wonderful Cathedral or Muckross Abbey, boat trip on lakes, high ropes etc. etc...for things to do, not sure any place in the country comes near Killarney.

I thought of most of those but ruled the pool and cinema out due to being indoors, we were down at the lake and Ross Castle and Muckross House a couple of weeks ago. Have done boat trip and high ropes and not into the church at all.

I agree that there is LOADS to do around Killarney but trying to think of something different as a local person can be tricky sometimes, especially if your depending on time and all. And Pitch n Putt was something we hadn't done so it worked out great :)

dobman88 wrote: »
    I thought of most of those but ruled the pool and cinema out due to being indoors, we were down at the lake and Ross Castle and Muckross House a couple of weeks ago. Have done boat trip and high ropes and not into the church at all.

Oh wouldn't be a big religious man myself...but it's an exceptional building designed by one of the greatest British architects and designers. Though a little ruined by ugly efforts to renovate it in the 1970s

Morning folks, I am going to the Mexican restaurant, Casita Mexicana, on Sunday. It is up the lane beside O'Connors pub on high street.

Just wondering has anyone been before and what you thought of it?? My parents have been twice and they highly recommend it. Any opinions here??

On a side note Gleesons Spar he just "EXPLODED"!!!! Any one hear anything like an earthquake this morning about 6.30?

Ok that has been confirmed. A gas explosion in Gleesons Spar/laundrette next door at 6.30 am. Some of the surrounding buildings have suffered damage also. One woman was trapped inside, rescued uninjured by emergency services and passers-by. The Ross and Towers Hotels have been evacuated. The Plaza and International were also evacuated. College street, and East Avenue road are closed at the moment. The laneway is completely blocked by rubble with 100's of tourists out on the street. Other hotels have taken them in for breakfast etc. for the morning but it was a crazy scene down there.

Thankfully nobody was injured and thankfully it was 6.30 am not 6.30 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Out cycling and heard it.

From 'Tom Randles' Twitter:

BPCRkuwCIAAl8d1.jpg

• Advertisement

madrabui wrote: »
    Out cycling and heard it.

From Twitter:

BPCRkuwCIAAl8d1.jpg:large

The guy behind the Guard is my boss, Stephen Quinlan from The Malton. He was just finished work on his way home and ran into the fecking building cos someone was screaming for help. Lucky nobody was hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

I thought i was hearing thunder this morning but that certainly explains that. Jesus I hope no one is seriously injured!!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

BPCRiwhCMAEBVnT.jpg

From Twitter thomasgolf77

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

A body was found at the scene today & removed to KGH mortuary.
    Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam d'ilis

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Lelantos wrote: »
    A body was found at the scene today & removed to KGH mortuary.
    Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam d'ilis

very sad, condolences to all his family & friends :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I was driving home last night at 10pm and there was this plonker riding bicycle with no lights and wearing black t shirt and jeans , I still can't get over how stupid people are. Like... Do you really want to die, or live the rest of your life drinking ur dinner through a straw . I'm not even talking about through town here folks,

Going past castleross
    Ok I got that out , I feel better now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

karate in the national park at six tonight, come and watch, you might just enjoy it, a way to get fit!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

First time in the race course yesterday, love the backdrop and over-all, quiet a pleasant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

tinner777 wrote: »
    karate in the national park at six tonight, come and watch, you might just enjoy it, a way to get fit!!

How did that go? I saw ye setting up as I was hauling my fat ass back from my run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

oeb wrote: »
    How did that go? I saw ye setting up as I was hauling my fat ass back from my run.

very hot, but good fun, was good seeing people coming over expecting bruce lee but looking at a few boys and their dads having a laugh :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Did any of ye win any money on the gee gees? I have to say the races got some of the best weather I've ever seen . :0)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

In case anyone is interested, there is a tattoo convention on out at the glen, everyone is welcome. 10 per day or 25 for a weekend pass (Off the top of my head).

It's the lads from the tattoo studio in town who have organised it. It starts at 2pm today and goes on till sunday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Very sad, local lad (20) died swimming in the lake at Ross Castle this afternoon

poor guy, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Very sad, local lad (20) died swimming in the lake at Ross Castle this afternoon

Friends with his brother and family..very sad. :(

Be careful of them lakes, lads! They may look safe..but can be extremely dangerous even if you are a strong swimmer.

Deepest condolences to the family. Very sad week for Killarney as a whole. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

Hi,
    Myself and a few friends were thinking about heading to Killarney for a few days next week, probably Monday to Thursday.
    I'm just wondering would there actually be anything to do or anyplace to head out at night during the week?
    We are in our early twenties. Thanks!

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    Hi,
    Myself and a few friends were thinking about heading to Killarney for a few days next week, probably Monday to Thursday.
    I'm just wondering would there actually be anything to do or anyplace to head out at night during the week?
    We are in our early twenties. Thanks!

The grand, the best spot in the town imo...its good any night of the week, esp monday when they have J90. pity yer not down this week, theres a xmas party thurday :L ps. lm early 20s

https://www.facebook.com/killarneygrand?fref=ts

Mc Sorleys would be another decent spot for a few drinks during the week. Apart from that everywhere else would be more tourist driven. You could always go on the bumpers while Birds Bazaar is still in town! :p

• Advertisement

Town is busy most nights during the summer. Was out last night and went to Charlie Foley's first, had trad music usually not my thing but bar was busy. Went to McSorleys then and they had a live rock cover band on and down to the grand for the nightclub. Most bars would have decent crowds until closing and obviously mcsorleys and the grand very busy when the rest close. Have fun

Advertisement