Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

So yeah, my 100th post on Boards. Thought I would put it in a thread I use regularly and being from Killarney, what better place? So now for something Killarney related.

It is great to see the hotels in town giving jobs to the staff from the International Hotel after the accident. The Towers, Plaza, East Avenue, Ross, Killarney Park, The Malton to name the few I know of. Might just be temporary seasonal work for some people but should keep them going until the International reopens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Apparantly they won't be closed for as long they had feared. I've heard they'll be up and running within a few weeks the most.

Thats good news, know a lot of people working there and while they have jobs in other places, its all new faces. No place like home and all that. I would imagine it would be heavily looked at by the Fire Officer beforehand so a good job will have to be done. Or maybe there wasn't as much damage done as first thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

What's with the mad bells down in the cathedral the last few days? It was playing away in a manger at one stage today.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

dobman88 wrote: »
    Never been to The Smokehouse myself (spoiled for choice in town) but I have heard great things about it.

A question for you Mr Hill Billy, would you know how much a taxi is from Ballsbridge to Tallaght? Going to Dublin on Friday and will get the Luas out to Tallaght but will need a taxi back to Ballsbridge. (I just saw you are a Dublin Mod so thought I would ask) :)
    I'm a north county lad, so wouldn't be familiar with taxi prices in the city, sorry. Pop a post in the Dublin City forum & the locals will let you know - no probs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I have to say - we are having a super time. Locals so friendly, so many things to do & see. Still a few more days to go. Thanks Killarney! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

I have to say - we are having a super time. Locals so friendly, so many things to do & see. Still a few more days to go. Thanks Killarney! :)

That's genuinely great to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

oeb wrote: »
    What's with the mad bells down in the cathedral the last few days? It was playing away in a manger at one stage today.

:pac:

Ya just heard them ringing there around 6pm whatever the reason is for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Friends of mine are moving to Killarney area in the near future, need somewhere safe and reliable to store their furniture and possessions while waiting to get into their new home. Anyone know of any storage units or anything like that available for hire?

Thanks.

Radio5 wrote: »
    Friends of mine are moving to Killarney area in the near future, need somewhere safe and reliable to store their furniture and possessions while waiting to get into their new home. Anyone know of any storage units or anything like that available for hire?

Thanks.

http://www.traleeministorage.com/ That's in Tralee about a 20-30 minute drive from Killarney and the only one I know of. Hope it helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 pauloc

I was just wondering what the oldest business in Killarney was?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

I know Muckross Park Hotel is the oldest hotel, opened as The Herbert Arms in 1795.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

http://www.traleeministorage.com/ That's in Tralee about a 20-30 minute drive from Killarney and the only one I know of. Hope it helps :)

Thanks. Will check it out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Any recommendations for a good plumber in Killarney. Have some small jobs like sticking taps and slower flushers etc! And 1 x Big job whereby large radiator needs flushing out!

Hope he can tick the following boxes:

1. Come out within 72 hrs..... not 'I'll see what I can do..am on big job at moment and can't get away'
    2. Charges are reasonable -not 'give me 50 that'll cover it ' for 15 mins.
    3.... most important ... is TIDY!! Not leave me with a mess to clean up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dove2011

This man worked on my house last winter- he was very decent; charged €35.00 per hour.
    A1 Plumbing & Heating (Killarney)
    Killarney Co. Kerry
    (087)6543011
    (087)6543011

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kerryphoto

Is there still a coal fire forge in operation in Muckross, I was told last year that a local blacksmith gives demonstrations every so often there.

kerryphoto wrote: »
    Is there still a coal fire forge in operation in Muckross, I was told last year that a local blacksmith gives demonstrations every so often there.

Yeah, at the Muckross traditional farm. Contact them to find out times etc
    http://www.muckross-house.ie/traditional-farms.html

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kerryphoto

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Yeah, at the Muckross traditional farm. Contact them to find out times etc
    http://www.muckross-house.ie/traditional-farms.html
    Thanks a mil

For anyone that's interested, the Cue Club (up Penneys lane) poker league final was on last Friday and their new league started on Monday. Poker games are on Mondays and Friday, I think both are €30. Players pay €5 each, every night they choose to play. The €5 goes towards the league fund and you get 5,000 extra chips for the €5 on the night and anyone who plays a minimum of 6 nights qualifies for the league final. I am posting this because a few friends have asked me about it (I enjoy poker) and I thought other people who maybe haven't been in a while might be wondering too. I missed Fridays final but the winner got about €1000 I think.

Note to Mod's; I apologise if this post isn't allowed and feel free to move it if it's not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DennyPa

Just wondering what La Rambla is like to eat in? Myself and wife thinking of heading there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 BillG

DennyPa wrote: »
    Just wondering what La Rambla is like to eat in? Myself and wife thinking of heading there.

Very nice, well worth the visit. My wife and I go there every now and then and will definitely go again.

BillG wrote: »
    Very nice, well worth the visit. My wife and I go there every now and then and will definitely go again.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 CantonaGod

Hi,

Has anyone here been to the new Indian Restauant on the High St? The Usman ?? If so any feedback, good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dove2011

DennyPa wrote: »

The food is lovely & very reasonable but on occasion the manageress can be cold and unwelcoming. Casita Mexicana just down the street is lovely also and went to The Med last week and the food was lovely with really nice staff.

dove2011 wrote: »
    The food is lovely & very reasonable but on occasion the manageress can be cold and unwelcoming. Casita Mexicana just down the street is lovely also and went to The Med last week and the food was lovely with really nice staff.

Thanks

CantonaGod wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone here been to the new Indian Restauant on the High St? The Usman ?? If so any feedback, good or bad?

The Bombay Palace on College St is the best Indian in town

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

CantonaGod wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone here been to the new Indian Restaurant on the High St? The Usman ?? If so any feedback, good or bad?

I think this was called "Tastes of India" up to a few months ago. Agree "The Bombay Palace" in College st is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

For anyone that's interested, the Cue Club (up Penneys lane) poker league final was on last Friday and their new league started on Monday. Poker games are on Mondays and Friday, I think both are €30. Players pay €5 each, every night they choose to play. The €5 goes towards the league fund and you get 5,000 extra chips for the €5 on the night and anyone who plays a minimum of 6 nights qualifies for the league final. I am posting this because a few friends have asked me about it (I enjoy poker) and I thought other people who maybe haven't been in a while might be wondering too. I missed Fridays final but the winner got about €1000 I think.

Note to Mod's; I apologise if this post isn't allowed and feel free to move it if it's not allowed.

I used to be a regular in there but lost interest, went back a couple of times but there were only about 16 runners on a monday and barely enough to fill a table on a friday. The monthly game gets a good turnout though, i'd probably play a bit more if there were greater numbers.

siblers wrote: »
    I used to be a regular in there but lost interest, went back a couple of times but there were only about 16 runners on a monday and barely enough to fill a table on a friday. The monthly game gets a good turnout though, i'd probably play a bit more if there were greater numbers.

Yeah the numbers have fallen a good bit alright but I kind of like 16-18 players. It's good fun with small numbers. In the winter they usually get 25-30 on a Monday, can't comment on the Friday cos I never play Fridays. And yeah the monthly game usually gets ~50 players but I haven't played one of those yet either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Yeah the numbers have fallen a good bit alright but I kind of like 16-18 players. It's good fun with small numbers. In the winter they usually get 25-30 on a Monday, can't comment on the Friday cos I never play Fridays. And yeah the monthly game usually gets ~50 players but I haven't played one of those yet either.

The midweek game is good but its a grind, I came joint first the most recent Wednesday with 3 other lads. At 3am we decided to split it 4 ways as we were all even on chips.
    The last Monday I played in there I won it but what I won compared to what I invested just wasn't really worth the time and effort which kinda put me off going back. Its good aul craic in there though, very friendly and there's no unsavoury people in there which is great.

Advertisement