Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Anyone else see the sulky racing on the Cork/Killarney road this morning. It was unreal and bloody dangerous. We had to drive on the hard shoulder as both lanes of the road were taken up with the followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Anyone know of a Denture Repair practice in Killarney that might be open over Xmas to do a repair to a damaged tooth??

Or even Tralee / Killorglin/ Castleisland ???

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Anyone missing a trampoline?! I saw this at Flesk bridge today.

8qSAyn.jpeg

6KRCQ8.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

I think that's belonging to the b&b across the road, same thing happened to them a couple of years back afaik. Mental weather to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Anyone with Internet diwn in Killarney?? Out now in my house 3 days. Eircom says problem in area.. But friends in area have no problem. Just wondering if getting runaround by Eircom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Madman2

Masala wrote: »
    Anyone with Internet diwn in Killarney?? Out now in my house 3 days. Eircom says problem in area.. But friends in area have no problem. Just wondering if getting runaround by Eircom

Haven't had any problems with eircom internet here anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭willit

Hey guys, does anyone know if there is a Triathlon club in Killarney? The new year brings with it a resolution to do a triathlon and since I haven't ever done a triathlon before I was thinking that joining a club would be the best way forward.

Also, in relation to the above post, no internet issues for me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Can trampolines not be dismantled and put away from the winter? I don't know the first thing about them so it is a genuine query.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

Radio5 wrote: »
    Can trampolines not be dismantled and put away from the winter? I don't know the first thing about them so it is a genuine query.

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

has anyone got any info on cycling clubs in killarney or near enough?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

has anyone got any info on cycling clubs in killarney or near enough?

Killarney Cycling Club..............

www.killarneycyclingclub.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Killarney Cycling Club..............

www.killarneycyclingclub.com/

Your better off looking at their facebook page. Nobody uses the website anymore

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Your better off looking at their facebook page. Nobody uses the website anymore

thanks xxyyzz :) the websites lv come across dont seem to be up to date

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

madrabui wrote: »
    Anyone missing a trampoline?! I saw this at Flesk bridge today.

8qSAyn.jpeg

6KRCQ8.jpeg

Massive thanks for posting this.

Was going over the bridge with my dad and sister in the car and thought I saw a trampoline out of the corner of my eye.

Neither my dad or sister spotted it as we were already gone past and thought I was messing, especially as when we went past the next day it was gone ( or at least underwater) and I have been taking awful abuse since, as the first day I had been after a few social drinks in relatives.

Vindication has never been so sweet !!!.

is there a Taco Bell in killarney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Don't think there's any in Ireland at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Have you been watching The Wire?

Have you been watching The Wire?

no l was on a job website and their looking for people to work in killarney for them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

no l was on a job website and their looking for people to work in killarney for them

It seems like a strange time of year to be starting a business in Killarney.

Maybe there preparing for a summer opening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

willit wrote: »
    Hey guys, does anyone know if there is a Triathlon club in Killarney? The new year brings with it a resolution to do a triathlon and since I haven't ever done a triathlon before I was thinking that joining a club would be the best way forward.

Also, in relation to the above post, no internet issues for me :o

None in Killarney but there are clubs in both Tralee and Kenmare. Each have a website and facebook page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

That's for Killarney, Florida. It seems that some of the job websites have poor web scrapers that can't tell the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

If you think the recent stroms are bad take a look at what happened back in 6/7 Jan 1839 - the night of the big wind!

"The Night of the Big Wind" by Peter Carr ISBN 1 870132 50 5 Published by White Row Press 1993

These two excerpts from the book came from the "Kerry Evening Post" for the week of Jan 5, 1839:

'KILLARNEY" County Kerry In Killarney and its neighbourhood the hurricane raged with terrible fury. The town sustained much damage and many houses were shattered. Mr. James Goggin's chimneys were blown into the street, and caused that gentleman and the whole neighbourhood much alarm - Mr. Michael McCarthy had a similar cause of terror, the roof of his house being laid quite bare. The windows of the Victoria Hotel were shattered to pieces and many aged tress...were laid prostrate, in every quarter and in all directions and at PALLAS in County Kerry. "The house of an opulent farmer, named John Sullivan, at Pallas, near Killarney, was blown down, and having taken fire, was totally consumed together with a valuable haggard, three cows, and twenty firkins of butter destroyed..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

If you think the recent stroms are bad take a look at what happened back in 6/7 Jan 1839 - the night of the big wind!

"The Night of the Big Wind" by Peter Carr ISBN 1 870132 50 5 Published by White Row Press 1993

These two excerpts from the book came from the "Kerry Evening Post" for the week of Jan 5, 1839:

'KILLARNEY" County Kerry In Killarney and its neighbourhood the hurricane raged with terrible fury. The town sustained much damage and many houses were shattered. Mr. James Goggin's chimneys were blown into the street, and caused that gentleman and the whole neighbourhood much alarm - Mr. Michael McCarthy had a similar cause of terror, the roof of his house being laid quite bare. The windows of the Victoria Hotel were shattered to pieces and many aged tress...were laid prostrate, in every quarter and in all directions and at PALLAS in County Kerry. "The house of an opulent farmer, named John Sullivan, at Pallas, near Killarney, was blown down, and having taken fire, was totally consumed together with a valuable haggard, three cows, and twenty firkins of butter destroyed..."

A tragedy losing TWENTY firkins......

What's a firkin?, And was the "valuable haggard" ye old slang for wife?.

A tragedy losing TWENTY firkins......

What's a firkin?, And was the "valuable haggard" ye old slang for wife?.

haggard is a small field ya pup!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

haggard is a small field ya pup!

Ahhhh, sorry about that, I genuinely never heard of a haggard or firkin but the story seemed funnier with my version of haggard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Firkin was a small crate or casket. Used for storing butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭tibruit

Can any locals tell me what the large circular feature visible on google maps, on the northeastern side of Lough Leane is? Just wondering if its modern or historic .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

tibruit wrote: »
    Can any locals tell me what the large circular feature visible on google maps, on the northeastern side of Lough Leane is? Just wondering if its modern or historic .

Looks like a moate of something. Can't say I've come across that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Radio5 wrote: »
    Firkin was a small crate or casket. Used for storing butter.

A brewery cask, about 9 gallons. We used to handle them in shipping business, subject of many weary puns among the warehousemen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

tibruit wrote: »

no idea - it isn't on the old 1840s mapping, and wasn't there in 1995 either!...
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,495133,590099,6,5
    maybe something to do with the sewage treatment plant nearby, some sort of reedbed treatment experiment? the local park NPWS will know, ask here: http://www.killarneynationalpark.ie/educentre_contact.html

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Advertisement