Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

tibruit wrote: »
    Can any locals tell me what the large circular feature visible on google maps, on the northeastern side of Lough Leane is? Just wondering if its modern or historic .

As a local, I definitely would rule out the possibility of it being a "modern" structure and would say that it is probably a ring-fort.

No idea of how old though but given the Copper mines go back to around 2500 BC there's a long period of time for when it might have been occupied.

Despite having a bit of an interest in local history, and living pretty close I've never heard or seen of it before.

Also I would be surprised if it was visible at ground level (not 100% but have no recollection of ever seeing it and have been along the roads a couple of hundred times.)

The fact that it's the same size as the water treatment plant gives a good idea of the size of it.

With the amount of water at the moment down around Ross at the moment, it's not the ideal time to be investigating further but once the ground dries out a bit I'll definitely be going investigating further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭tibruit

Thanks for those replys. My first impressions were that it had something to do with the sewage plant also. If its a ringfort or some kind of ancient enlosure its huge. I`d suggest 200 metres in diameter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

tibruit wrote: »
    Can any locals tell me what the large circular feature visible on google maps, on the northeastern side of Lough Leane is? Just wondering if its modern or historic .

Posted about this on facebook, someone in the know posted:

It was an attempt to build a constructed wetland for wastewater treatment, but the construction was started without planning permission and An Bord Planála made them stop construction. And rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    As a local, I definitely would rule out the possibility of it being a "modern" structure and would say that it is probably a ring-fort.

No idea of how old though but given the Copper mines go back to around 2500 BC there's a long period of time for when it might have been occupied.

Despite having a bit of an interest in local history, and living pretty close I've never heard or seen of it before.

Also I would be surprised if it was visible at ground level (not 100% but have no recollection of ever seeing it and have been along the roads a couple of hundred times.)

The fact that it's the same size as the water treatment plant gives a good idea of the size of it.

With the amount of water at the moment down around Ross at the moment, it's not the ideal time to be investigating further but once the ground dries out a bit I'll definitely be going investigating further.

I think I will take a walk down myself once the drier weather comes along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 immersive

Anyone know what exactly is going on with the Ballycasheen road. Closed again this morning after being closed for a few months more or less before Christmas. Seems that it was pipe laying that was going on but it also seems a lot of the work was redug up after being finished. What is going on now who knows. Also the surface was left in a poor state. Only half it was resurfaced fully and the rest was a case of patches here and there. So much for car tax! Then you have the junction where you turn up for the school. Obviously designed to slow people down but I don't think I have seen a raised surface like it anywhere else. Really strange. On a side note check out a new Facebook page, Killarney down memory lane, some very good photos there. Been reading this thread with a while but it really needs more posters. Very quite. It would be great to get more people to post and become involved as there is a lot of info here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

Any offers or bargains going on bowls of soup in Killarney people? Killarney soup, in general, I have found to be lovely.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

immersive wrote: »
    On a side note check out a new Facebook page, Killarney down memory lane, some very good photos there.
    Just found out that page has been around for over a year, but only went viral(ish) a few days back. Here it is:

Killarney Down Memory Lane

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Have to have to agree on the enjoyment of that page. I joined it over 4 months ago but over that last week over a thousand people have shared photos. Thoughts and stories about Killarney pre 1990..
    Think it has done more for Killarney than any other tourism site.. With people from all over the world sharing their memories.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    Have to have to agree on the enjoyment of that page. I joined it over 4 months ago but over that last week over a thousand people have shared photos. Thoughts and stories about Killarney pre 1990..
    Think it has done more for Killarney than any other tourism site.. With people from all over the world sharing their memories.

Hardly any pictures of well-presented soup dishes? If so, might you upload them here? Or at least direct me via link to the photo album in question. Thanking you in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Killarney Down Memory Lane is an excellent facebook page. I joined it a couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

How Much do you think a taxi from Killarney to Tralee would cost?
    Im going to a gig at the INEC in Feb and its iver round 11pm.. so id stay cost of the 3 of us staying overnight would be more expensive then a taxi back,, especially if we split cost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

Stressica wrote: »
    Im going to a gig at the INEC in Feb and its iver round 11pm.. so id stay cost of the 3 of us staying overnight would be more expensive then a taxi back,, especially if we split cost

About the €50 mark I think. It would be at least 50 if it was 11-12pm on a friday or Saturday night. Peak time for taxis. Make sure you book through a company, some fellas working on their own think the can charge what they want. My workplace uses the same company all the time and Tralee is uaually 50. Ask at the hotel reception and they will book one for you, at least you know its safe then.

well i wont be staying overnight, 3 of us staying in a hotel would be more expensive then splitting a taxi fare 3 ways. so makes more sense to go home that night. can you recommend any good taxi companies in killarney? but yeah its a friday night so ill defo book in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

well i wont be staying overnight, 3 of us staying in a hotel would be more expensive then splitting a taxi fare 3 ways. so makes more sense to go home that night. can you recommend any good taxi companies in killarney? but yeah its a friday night so ill defo book in advance

Eurotaxis

ok thanks

Eurotaxis. 086 384 8064. They have a landline number too but I dont know it. The landline is diverted to the mobile anyway. Ring them on Friday eve before the gig because once it finishes they will just be going from the hotel to town and back again. Have fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Yep. I paid €50 last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

lads is spice world on muckross world still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

tinner777 wrote: »
    lads is spice world on muckross world still open?

Yes.

Note: They get deliveries on a Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Hello everyone :)

Group of us going to Killarney first week in march 25 in total (all different ages from babies to oldies) now hotel is booked. Looking for somewhere that we could have dinner the friday night somewhere that we could just get a dinner not everyone together but a good few of us. Any recommendations would be great.

• Advertisement

Robertinos The Med on High Street. I ate there on Wednesday with my girlfriend and thought it was great. Reasonable too I thought. €70 for 2 mains, 2 desserts and a bottle of prosecco. And good service. That is my favourite restaurant.

Another good one is Casita Mexicana, kind of a hidden gem. Located just behind the Glebe car park where the old market used to be.

The Malton Hotel have Wine Rooms now and they do main course and a glass of wine for €15-€20 I think.

Honorable mentions to Bricin (high street) and Paddy's (main street) restaurants. Two fantastic restaurants. Also Stonechat if it's open.

Really depends what you are looking for. My advice would be to just walk round town and see what catches your eye. We are spoilt for choice in Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

dobman88 wrote: »
    Robertinos The Med on High Street. I ate there on Wednesday with my girlfriend and thought it was great. Reasonable too I thought. €70 for 2 mains, 2 desserts and a bottle of prosecco. And good service. That is my favourite restaurant.

Another good one is Casita Mexicana, kind of a hidden gem. Located just behind the Glebe car park where the old market used to be.

The Malton Hotel have Wine Rooms now and they do main course and a glass of wine for €15-€20 I think.

Honorable mentions to Bricin (high street) and Paddy's (main street) restaurants. Two fantastic restaurants. Also Stonechat if it's open.

Really depends what you are looking for. My advice would be to just walk round town and see what catches your eye. We are spoilt for choice in Killarney.

Have been in killarney quite a few times so know the main street and surrounding areas so good few names there thanks! yeah a walk around is what we more than likely will be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

The Bricin is great. Paddys is a bit old fashioned in my opinion. Gabys is a tourist trap (avoid!). Robertinos is not expensive and does Italian fare. A few places remain closed until St Patricks we.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Can anyone tell me if Ross castle is worth visiting and is there much to do there? Also is the craft shop any good?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if Ross castle is worth visiting and is there much to do there? Also is the craft shop any good?

Thanks.

If you're in Killarney it's definitely worth a spin down as it's only 5/10 minutes from the center of town but there's not exactly a huge amount to do there indoors. It is pretty scenic with a good view of the lakes (its a popular spot for wedding photos) There is the possibility of going on a boat trip on the lakes (might need to do research on this as it's off season at the moment) as well as a number of different walks through the national park or even a ride on a jaunting car.

Havent been inside it in a good while - the castle interior is fairly small and I've no recollection of there even being a craft shop in it. This might have changed. If there is I can't imagine it being very big.

Another option is Muckross House, which is slightly further out of town but has a fairly decent sized craft shop (really wouldnt be the best person to ask about the quality of a craft shop) and a popular restaurant/coffee shop [not the fanciest but decent quality and you're pretty much guaranteed to meet locals there, which is always a good sign imo]. This also has a variety of walks through the gardens as well as the possibility of a ride on a jaunting car.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    If you're in Killarney it's definitely worth a spin down as it's only 5/10 minutes from the center of town but there's not exactly a huge amount to do there indoors. It is pretty scenic with a good view of the lakes (its a popular spot for wedding photos) There is the possibility of going on a boat trip on the lakes (might need to do research on this as it's off season at the moment) as well as a number of different walks through the national park or even a ride on a jaunting car.

Havent been inside it in a good while - the castle interior is fairly small and I've no recollection of there even being a craft shop in it. This might have changed. If there is I can't imagine it being very big.

Another option is Muckross House, which is slightly further out of town but has a fairly decent sized craft shop (really wouldnt be the best person to ask about the quality of a craft shop) and a popular restaurant/coffee shop [not the fanciest but decent quality and you're pretty much guaranteed to meet locals there, which is always a good sign imo]. This also has a variety of walks through the gardens as well as the possibility of a ride on a jaunting car.

Thanks for that boom boom,

We will give it a look when we are in killarney I think the website says there is a shop or something so wondered how good it is.

Thing with Ross castle is we have never seen a sign for it anywhere lol.

Yes I know muckross well and we love it there.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Thanks for that boom boom,

We will give it a look when we are in killarney I think the website says there is a shop or something so wondered how good it is.

Thing with Ross castle is we have never seen a sign for it anywhere lol.

Yes I know muckross well and we love it there.

All the car parks at Ross Castle have been flooded for last week.

During the month of January, two successful prosecutions were carried out by the Health Service Executive on (both in Kerry):

• Tralee Central Hotel, Maine Street, Tralee, Kerry
    • Salvadors/The Med (restaurant), High Street, Killarney, Kerry

During the month of January, two successful prosecutions were carried out by the Health Service Executive on (both in Kerry):

• Tralee Central Hotel, Maine Street, Tralee, Kerry
    • Salvadors/The Med (restaurant), High Street, Killarney, Kerry

And it was also reported that Salvadors/The Med passed a follow up inspection before the court date. Everything they were told to rectify was done.

No point onky telling the bad side of an old story ;)

• Advertisement

All the car parks at Ross Castle have been flooded for last week.

Thanks but we intend going later in the year, just getting info for now.

Advertisement