Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

can someone tell me is the gap of dunloe far from kate kearneys cottage? as in is it a long walk up? me & a friend went there today but she wouldnt walk or drive up the road, thought it would be too far :(

Well the Gap of Dunloe is a Glaciated Valley, not just one particular point of visit but a stretched out route that would be classified as Moderate in terms of fitness required. In short it is a 'Gap' between the Reeks & Purple Mountain.

The Gap from Kate Kearney's Cottage -> to Lord Brandon's Cottage is about 11km long, climbing and descending about 200 metres altogether.

Have a read of this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Well the Gap of Dunloe is a Glaciated Valley, not just one particular point of visit but a stretched out route that would be classified as Moderate in terms of fitness required. In short it is a 'Gap' between the Reeks & Purple Mountain.

The Gap from Kate Kearney's Cottage -> to Lord Brandon's Cottage is about 11km long, climbing and descending about 200 metres altogether.

Have a read of this :)

I drive it once a year in the off season if possible or the early morning, then vow NEVER AGAIN. It is one way home for me from Killarney but I prefer Ballaghbeama Gap via Glencar

Once had a tyre blow out coming down the other way in the Gap. THAT was scary.

Done my once a year for 2014!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

A friend of my mothers is from the black valley and she SPEEDS down that road. Because she has been driving it her whole life. She probably isn't even driving that fast, but seems way too fast for a road like that! It's terrifying.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    A friend of my mothers is from the black valley and she SPEEDS down that road. Because she has been driving it her whole life. She probably isn't even driving that fast, but seems way too fast for a road like that! It's terrifying.

Words fail! I once met a post van as I drove back up to the main road on the Ring and he was hurtling down at a great pace.

I would get out if anyone drove too fast when I was in the car on that road

I had visitors from the US last year, I warned them NO GAP OF DUNGLOE with me. Took them over Ballaghbeama instead. No traffic, no jaunting cars. Peace...Then you can go through Ballaghasheen to Waterville..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi

I have driven that road many times , it's not too bad. The only dangerous bit is trying not to run over the jarveys who jump out at you at Kate Kearney's trying to stop you driving up there.The view from the top is great ! My Mother in Law ( who is from Killarney ) has driven mini buses up there no problem !

The road from the Black Valley up to Molls is much worse if you ask me because you meet a lot more traffic.

They used to have a sign put up by the jarveys saying motor cars were not allowed past that point ( which is nonsense of course ).

However I have walked from Lord Brandons over the gap , that's a great walk..... a little bit of planning we had one car at Ross Castle (where we got the boat ) and one at Kate Kearney's . Tell you what the Guinness after that walk tasted great !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Hi

I have driven that road many times , it's not too bad. The only dangerous bit is trying not to run over the jarveys who jump out at you at Kate Kearney's trying to stop you driving up there.The view from the top is great ! My Mother in Law ( who is from Killarney ) has driven mini buses up there no problem !

The road from the Black Valley up to Molls is much worse if you ask me because you meet a lot more traffic.

They used to have a sign put up by the jarveys saying motor cars were not allowed past that point ( which is nonsense of course ).

However I have walked from Lord Brandons over the gap , that's a great walk..... a little bit of planning we had one car at Ross Castle (where we got the boat ) and one at Kate Kearney's . Tell you what the Guinness after that walk tasted great !

A little bit of sanity at last.

When you are driving the Gap you have to realize that you have to share the road with Horses, Hikers, Strollers, Children and Locals. This does not make for easy driving especially if you are used to wide open roads and politeness and patience are needed at all times.

When you navigate all this, it is splendid. Go down to Lord Brandon's cottage and take a hike up to Ladies View. Park the car and walk some of the way to Glencar. Drive on to Sneem or just wonder on nature from the top of the Devils Elbow

The Gap is not just for Cars :cool:

newman10 wrote: »
    A little bit of sanity at last.

When you are driving the Gap you have to realize that you have to share the road with Horses, Hikers, Strollers, Children and Locals. This does not make for easy driving especially if you are used to wide open roads and politeness and patience are needed at all times.

When you navigate all this, it is splendid. Go down to Lord Brandon's cottage and take a hike up to Ladies View. Park the car and walk some of the way to Glencar. Drive on to Sneem or just wonder on nature from the top of the Devils Elbow

The Gap is not just for Cars :cool:

We are all well aware of that but the jarveys could show some commonsense and courtesy when they have a queue of cars behind them on steep parts and there are plenty of places just to pull over for a moment. Give the horse a breather.. let cars pass..

Patience and politenes should work both ways.

Many who drive the gap are like myself disabled and cannot enjoy the walks as you can.

I will stick with Ballaghbeama.. views are just as splendid and no jarveys and very few cars. Lovely drive from Killarney past the Lough too and utterly peaceful.

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

We are all well aware of that but the jarveys could show some commonsense and courtesy when they have a queue of cars behind them on steep parts and there are plenty of places just to pull over for a moment. Give the horse a breather.. let cars pass..

Patience and politenes should work both ways.

Many who drive the gap are like myself disabled and cannot enjoy the walks as you can.

I will stick with Ballaghbeama.. views are just as splendid and no jarveys and very few cars. Lovely drive from Killarney past the Lough too and utterly peaceful.

This seems to be an anger management issue.

It is obvious you have never been stuck in Glencar behind some tractor pulling a trailer of round bales or sheep. Enjoy being in Kerry

This seems to be an anger management issue.

It is obvious you have never been stuck in Glencar behind some tractor pulling a trailer of round bales or sheep. Enjoy being in Kerry

Not at all; if you read anger there that is your mind.

No need for sarcasm either just because I have a different viewpoint from you!
    It is hard when following jaunting cars up steep roads to keep the car balanced especially when disabled and as I said, they show no politeness etc or consideration for other road users. Period.

They pass pulling off places. That is what they are there for.

I have lived rural decades in Scotland and in Ireland and there are drivers and drovers who act with consideration for other road users and those who use their work as a blunt instrument to cause delays. Read some of the threads on farming here!

Similarly when someone wants to pass me I always pull in so they can go on their way. Always.

Patience and politeness... applies to all of us.

As I have said I do not use that road or take anyone there. Ballaghbeama has far more glorious scenery and is truly scenic and peaceful. And I will always say this to others. Honestly and from long experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Does anyone know what business is moving in next to Christy's?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Easons

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Easons

Heard that alright. Has it been confirmed anywhere? Couldn't find anything online.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Madman2

Anyone heard any more about KFC coming to Killarney? Rumors were going around it was going into Den Joe's place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

^^

would be very handy when waiting for a taxi!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I am quite sad to hear Eason's is coming. Poor Killarney Bookshop! And the Dungeon...

And KFC? Yuck.

^^ Easons too expensive also!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Why can't we just shop local? Leave the likes of Easons come in, but it won't be stopping where I buy my books and magazines.

I am quite sad to hear Eason's is coming. Poor Killarney Bookshop! And the Dungeon...

And KFC? Yuck.

Wonder which one is opening the Easons Franchise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Wonder which one is opening the Easons Franchise :D

Rumour has it that the owners of Killarney Bookstore is taking the Franchise of Eason's.. Would make sense...and a larger store. great range of books and choices and no competition.. And still locally owned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

And KFC? Yuck.

Eason tends to have a fairly shíte selection though, local bookshops are often better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

Madman2 wrote: »
    Anyone heard any more about KFC coming to Killarney? Rumors were going around it was going into Den Joe's place

Yeah also heard rumours of a drive thru going in across from the aura. Wouldn't mind a KFC anyway tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

We don't need a KFC! We've got local chippers who's snack boxes are far superior! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

th?id=HN.608042033476536945&pid=15.1&w=126&h=128&p=0

KFC.......yummmmmmmmmmmmmm

nando's over KFC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

ThePark on TV3 at the moment.

Great show.

Boom__Boom wrote: »

Great show.

is killarney on it??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

is killarney on it??

All about Killarney National Park

Boom__Boom wrote: »

Great show.

Yeah the first two were good too. I liked the Autumn better than Summer. Great advertising for Killarney and Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DennyPa

Does anyone know a good pest control company around Killarney, was doing work in the attic over the weekend and found a bee hive. Not sure if its alive or dead and didn't want to find out either.

Thanks

• Advertisement

DennyPa wrote: »
    Does anyone know a good pest control company around Killarney, was doing work in the attic over the weekend and found a bee hive. Not sure if its alive or dead and didn't want to find out either.

Thanks

Arrow pest control, Farranfore is the only local one I've ever heard of. 066 9764093

Advertisement